Sony PSP

wow, that's a lot of stuff Dazzla has - I hope when I'm his age I can spend it on toys, live with my parents and not have any responsibilities :D

585190627[/snapback]

Ha! Hope this make you feel old now Dazzla!

What's happening in the near future? You're not getting hitched are ya? (I know this is kinda intruding on your private life but everyone else seems to do it :D ).

585190511[/snapback]

Shhhhhh, that be a secret...

Anyway, great review.

Just one question: There's been all this talk about how you can't encode your own home brew video at the full res of the psp screen. Therefore you have to change the screen settings to "Full Screen" to watch it properly. does the PSP remember this setting when you power down/ remove the battery etc... or will I have to reset the screen mode every time I want to watch a video?

Hope that made sense :whistle: !

585190511[/snapback]

That's right, it doesn't keep the setting. You have to enable Full screen each time, it's kind of annoying, but then it is only 3 key presses away.

Oh, and another question :unsure: :

You didn't really mention the wifi features of the PSP. Does the unit appear as just another wifi enabled device, and functions the same as when connected via USB? In other words, will I be able to effectivaley drag and drop stuff over the network onto the PSP? Some websites seem to be unclear on this.

585190511[/snapback]

I've not had a chance to test out the WiFi abilities, I don't own a wireless router and I don't have access to one :/

I do own a PSP and wireless router and can say that it will not function as a network device, you must use the USB cable to transfer your files to it. The Wifi will however connect to your wireless router and there is a option to upgrade the system firware and software. I tried that this morning it connected perfectly to Sony of Japans website and promptly told me I had the latest software installed.

Lumines and an extra battery came today. I'm leaving the battery sealed for now becaue as of yet I've not drained the battery. That's despite using it as an MP3 layer for 8 hours whilst at work, then a few hours of Ridge each night.

Lumines impressions to come...

Superquick impression. Kind of a pointless impressions because I've only had 2 goes.

1. The music ****ing rocks. I love this ****, hooked the PSP up to my 680s and whacked up that volume :woot:

2. I can see this becoming extremely addictive. Even the difference between the firt and second go you can start to see strategies, ways to build combos. This is gonna get a lot of playtime.

Pic of course:

post-2629-1104428216_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie :blush:

Dazzla, great job with your review. Congrats. Tell me, is there any "anti-shake" system in PSP. You know, like in Discman, so there is everything smooth when you walk and play. Thanks

Hmm, I've not really played with it whilst on the move but I just tested it. Playing music from the memory stick there was no skipping (I was shaking for over a minute) but playing ridge the game carried on fine but the music stopped a few times. This was shaking it though, I tried playing Ridge walking round the house and there was no skipping, same with Lumines.

Playing music from the memory stick there was no skipping (I was shaking for over a minute)

585215883[/snapback]

How about video from the memory stick?

Yep, that's the reason the music jumped a few times when shaking during Ridge Racers. The game is dumped into memory and the music streams off the UMD. But when walking around playing normally there was no jumping.

dazzla, you're only 22?! i thought you would be a little older than that. damn, the $$ you make! where do you work? hook a brother up! i am turning 22 this month too, but as i recall, you spend a lot more on toys than i do, lol.

Well, make the most of it, there's no new gadgets for Dazzla for at least a month because I intend on paying off my entire student loan in January. Expensive New Years Resolution...

After that, well, new Mac would be nice, new home cinema setup, iPod Photo.......

dazzla, you're only 22?! i thought you would be a little older than that. damn, the $$ you make! where do you work? hook a brother up! i am turning 22 this month too, but as i recall, you spend a lot more on toys than i do, lol.

585216542[/snapback]

Don't you think it's rude to ask such a question?

wow - nice work there dazzla - when can I get my hands on one!

585217133[/snapback]

If indeed it's wet, windy wales then sometime in March. Game have started taking peoples names for an initial preorder list, similar to what they did with the PS2.

Shhhhhh, that be a secret...

That's right, it doesn't keep the setting. You have to enable Full screen each time, it's kind of annoying, but then it is only 3 key presses away.

I've not had a chance to test out the WiFi abilities, I don't own a wireless router and I don't have access to one :/

585190760[/snapback]

Easily sorted...

I'll pay P&P and you bubble wrap the PSP as good as you can. I'll then test the wifi capabilities on my wireless router and report back to the good people of neowin on my findings,

Then after a day or two of testing you will recieve your PSP back in bubble wrap in the exact same condition with fresh battery, charged and i'll even clean the screen for you.

I look forward to your PM :woot: