Sony PSP

In my knowledge, only Samsung will produce PSP's screen from now on.

And it's not because of the price, it's because Samsung and Sony recently built very close relationship in LCD through various contracts such as patent-sharing and factory collaboration.

I might be wrong though. :huh:

And Samsung is not a bad company for LCD, in fact, Samsung is the second biggest/best selling company in that business. (Sharp is #1, and Sony is #3)

in canada u can buy the psp for $950 CAN.  is that worth it?  how much do they usually cost?

585276271[/snapback]

:pinch: :no: That's WAYYY overpriced... the psp is about 220-250 canadian

So are there any informations about those Samsung's LCDs? Or is that just a fake info?

585273682[/snapback]

Samsung is making LCDs for PSP, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's worse than Sharp's.

As I said before, in my knowledge, Sony chose Samsung because their friendlyship created through various collaboration such as patent-sharing in LCD area.

Samsung is one of the best/biggest company when it comes to LCDs, and Samsung's high-end LCD products have been proven that it's superior to most of its competetors.

Samsung is making LCDs for PSP, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's worse than Sharp's.

As I said before, in my knowledge, Sony chose Samsung because their friendlyship created through various collaboration such as patent-sharing in LCD area.

Samsung is one of the best/biggest company when it comes to LCDs, and Samsung's high-end LCD products have been proven that it's superior to most of its competetors.

585285095[/snapback]

well, sony wouldn't be switching to samsing if their LCDs were cheaper then sharp's.

Hey dazz, excellent review! :)

I've got a PSP, had it a couple of weeks...

box.jpg

psp.jpg

I'd just like to say I agree completely with everything you said in the review, the only thing I can add is the fact so much potential is going to waste in terms of connectivity... i've got my PSP on my wireless network but all it can do on the network is check for firmware updates.... Why sony couldnt have put a web browser / email client on there for version 1.0 I don't know ... but I hear that's a likely addition to the next firmware update, so i'm happy.

I've also bought a 512mb SanDisk Duo card, 32mb is definately not enough. :no:

~pobz

awesome review.

Just got mine today, I LOVE IT!! :D

Unfourtunatley Ive only got Mah Jong Fight Cluib and Formula Front at the moment untill Ridge Racers arrives (I am now addicted to UPS tracking!) and as they are heavily dependent on the user being japanese :huh: , Im not getting to play it enough!! :angry:

But its so damn sexy that i cant put it down! all shiny and stuff, minx! :devil:

This is the first up-to-date resource ive found for the PSP so far, any tips on good sites for info, help etc?

Not sure if this has been asked, and it is quite typical of console vendors, but i'll ask anyway, do you know if these are regionalised?

ie a slightly different type depending on if you get one in europe/US/asia?

Surely someone knows!

Also, anyone sussed out the video settings?

What video formats can it play back? MPG1/2/3/4? xvid/divx? I heard you needed special software to do so, but I dont see why you couldnt just set up their bitrate/resoltion in vdub and then drag+drop onto the Compact flash/SD or whatever its using

If so, does it require a specific bitrate/resolution to comply and playback properly?

I'm actually tempted to get one, they look damn good, its clear Sony have an aim to destroy any competition in the hand-held market this time.

i dont know if this has been asked, but how hard was it to get the psp running Divx and Xvid movies? I hope you didnt have to convert anything! :( this would probably be one of the only reasons i would get a psp

hey Dazzla, just out of curiousity... what is it you do for living? you have major gadgets going on! btw you have wicked reviews! bravo brother! keep'em coming.

What video formats can it play back? MPG1/2/3/4? xvid/divx? I heard you needed special software to do so, but I dont see why you couldnt just set up their bitrate/resoltion in vdub and then drag+drop onto the Compact flash/SD or whatever its using

If so, does it require a specific bitrate/resolution to comply and playback properly?

it plays a special format of MP4....and there are both free and sony software (i.e. not free) software to do the conversion for you...read back a few pages for more info (especially the first post)

a specific bitrate is not needed but a specific resolution is....both of the aforementione dprograms do this as needed....

I also want to know, if I have an xvid movie, can the software of Sony convert it to the psp format and how long does it take in an athlon 2.6 ?

yes teh sony software is pretty good at converting most of what is thrown at it, but the freeware converter seems to be more flexible. both are pretty easy to use and only require a few clicks...no idea how long to convert on an athon, but on my centrino laptop it only takes about 5-8 minutes for a 700+Meg file...

i dont know if this has been asked, but how hard was it to get the psp running Divx and Xvid movies? I hope you didnt have to convert anything! sad.gif this would probably be one of the only reasons i would get a psp

not hard at all, the sony software is drag and drop...and the 3gp is almost as easy....but sadly you do have to convert as it will not play those files natively (besides when you can take a 700M file and convert it to 80M - think screen size so it can dump alot of the date to shrink the resolution - this is beneficial to fit more on a sony mem stick pro duo)

anyway, for these most recent posts, most of your questions are answered more throughly in the posts on previous pages....paruse through it as there is lots of good info including a few independant reviews

Edited by bacd