Do you own a gun?

Do you own a gun?  

440 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a gun?

• Yes, I've used it too
    • Yes, Yes I do
    • No, but I will someday
    • No, I'm totally against them

this reminds me of Bowling for Columbine...

If guns made people safer then america would be the safest place in the world... but sadly its not even close

585364167[/snapback]

You forget that it easier for criminals to get guns in the United States then it is for Law abidding citizens to get them or maybe you just did not know. The reason we have this right is not only for hunting and self protection but aslo as a defense against the government itself.

OH and Sadly Mike Moore Does not know what he is talking

Stolen from AvP: "I'd rather have one and not need it, than not have one and need it."

Although Im kinda torn when it comes to firearms. I dont like them, but I want to have one just in case. Yet if I did have one it would be locked up and useless considering how long it would take to unlock it if someone broke in, etc. But until what I decide to do I have this to drive off intruders. Dont mess with me unless you feel like losing your leg to a carbon steel paul chen ;)

2073.jpg

I expect by now that you've come to terms with the fact that your opinion is a minority one outside of the U.S.  :laugh:

585363323[/snapback]

Yes, but what other country would I be concerned with? :D That's the beauty of being the only remaining superpower in the world.

Yes, but what other country would I be concerned with?  :D  That's the beauty of being the only remaining superpower in the world.

585364212[/snapback]

Are you insane? Only remaining superpower? Russia? China? Ring any bells?

Stolen from AvP: "I'd rather have one and not need it, than not have one and need it."

Although Im kinda torn when it comes to firearms. I dont like them, but I want to have one just in case. Yet if I did have one it would be locked up and useless considering how long it would take to unlock it if someone broke in, etc. But until what I decide to do I have this to drive off intruders. Dont mess with me unless you feel like losing your leg to a carbon steel paul chen ;)

2073.jpg

585364207[/snapback]

/try tossing that across your living room, at an armed robber that may have.. lets say, a tech9. unless your in close quarters, that has no use against a gun, sorry, insert more coins

/try tossing that across your living room, at an armed robber that may have.. lets say, a tech9. unless your in close quarters, that has no use against a gun, sorry, insert more coins

585364228[/snapback]

What, you never saw a Ninja or Samurai movie have you?

AHAHHHAAA!

585364228[/snapback]

Yeah I know. Legally I cant own a handgun until I'm 21. A rifle however I can. And trust me, I would only use this in close quarters anyhow. My friend keeps an Ak-47 in his house. A little overkill if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat I s'pose... as long as it doesnt harm anyone else.

Are you insane? Only remaining superpower? Russia? China? Ring any bells?

585364227[/snapback]

They aren't superpowers! Russia can't even get control inside it's own borders! And China? Well they certainly have a large number of people but nothing else for support? Wake up and join the rest of us in the real world.

Don't own one and will never own one. They cause more danger to yourself than the protect you. I think there is no need at all to have a gun in the house. And shooting poor, defenseless animals is just sick :no:

They aren't superpowers! Russia can't even get control inside it's own borders! And China? Well they certainly have a large number of people but nothing else for support? Wake up and join the rest of us in the real world.

585364273[/snapback]

I would say my friend that China is quickly taking all our manufactoring power and importing it over there. So they soon will be a superpower

Yeah, ive got a few.

I have 3 ak47's all romanian, 1 mak-90 thats chinese, 2 ruger p98 9mm's 2 ar15's (both armalite) I bought the new 500 smith when it came out, the one with an 8 3/4 in barrell, I have a full-auto uzi thats legal, a full auto mac11 thats legal, and 2 barrett 50 BMG's that I got cheap.

I also own 12 shotguns, 2 are mossburgs that I trap shoot with, 5 are remington wingmasters, 2 baretta's 1 charles daly, and 2 old old 16 guage double barrells.

currently in the process of buying an m16, and a full-auto mp5

I don't own a gun, I never will own a gun.

Since I don't break laws then I don't need one.

I don't know anybody in jail, anybody who's been to jail or anybody that's been arrested.

I have never had my house, my car, my parents house or my parents car ever broken in to.

The only house that I have ever heard of being burglarized was somebody who bragged at the office and their co-worker's teenage son attempted to break in.  He was arrested at the scene.

I have confidence that the cops would arrive within a few minutes of dialing 911 and I don't fear for my own personal protection nor my family's.

585362694[/snapback]

I live in South Africa where the crime rate is pretty bad, but I never had or never want to own a gun. Here are some facts about handguns in America:

People who keeps guns at home have a 72% greater chance of being killed by firearms and are 3.44 times more likely to commit suicide than those who do not keep guns at home

FACT: In 2001, gun violence killed 29,573 Americans:

11,348 in homicides (38% of all US gun deaths)

16,869 in suicides (57% of all US gun deaths)

802 in unintentional shootings (3% of all US gun deaths), and

554 in legal interventions or undetermined incidents (2% of all US gun deaths)

I loath these things, I will not allow them in my house. Just as a matter of fact I must point out that I have done military service and have seen active duty so it is not as if I have no first hand experience of these things. Guns are not for me.

Yeah, ive got a few.

I have 3 ak47's all romanian, 1 mak-90 thats chinese, 2 ruger p98 9mm's 2 ar15's (both armalite) I bought the new 500 smith when it came out, the one with an 8 3/4 in barrell, I have a full-auto uzi thats legal, a full auto mac11 thats legal, and 2 barrett 50 BMG's that I got cheap.

I also own 12 shotguns, 2 are mossburgs that I trap shoot with, 5 are remington wingmasters, 2 baretta's 1 charles daly, and 2 old old 16 guage double barrells.

585364373[/snapback]

Damn, youre packing arent you. And how is it legal to have anything auto? :unsure:

That is the beauty Of The Second Amendment. In oder to ban guns entirely they would have to get rid of the constitution. I would fight it to the last

585364125[/snapback]

Can`t remember the source but I remember reading somewhere that the wording of the second amendment could be used to control the public ownership of guns.

I used to have a spud gun when I was about ten. I`m not big on owning a gun. The UK has very little gun related crime. Although our crime statistics do show that gun related crime is on the increase:

Fatalities: 70 (-15%)

Serious injuries: 430 (no change)

Total firearms offences: 10,590 (+3%)

With replica/ imitation gun: 1,350 (+35%)

With handgun: 4,910 (-10%)

These are comparable with last year.

This I think, is more or less what you are refering to:

The moral arguments why the 2nd is not absolute

First, it important to note that no right is absolute, even those supposedly granted by God and guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. For example, even though the 1st Amendment guarantees me the right to free speech, the right is limited. I cannot publish a newspaper in which I claim that a certain public figure, for example the president of a major company, is a cocaine user, if that fact is known to me to be completely untrue. It would be called libel, and it is a valid abridgment of my rights. The classic example of an abridgment of freedom of speech is the imminent danger rule: I cannot stand up in a crowded theatre and scream that there is a fire (if there is not), because the ensuing panic may cause injury.

The reason abridgment of rights is sometimes valid is that rights can very easily clash. In the example above, my right to free speech clashes with the people in theatre's rights to not be trampled. The same analysis can be applied to the 2nd Amendment. If the right to own a gun interferes with public safety, that right can morally be abridged, in order to protect public safety. And the courts have agreed with this position, as follows.

The legal arguments why the 2nd is not absolute

Throughout the history of the USA, many Court decisions have limited the right to keep and bear arms. The Miller case in the early 20th century limited the right to own certain classes of weapons. More recently, we have the following from the United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, which indicates that the clause about "a well regulated militia" does not mean that the average citizen is part of that militia: "Since the Second Amendment right 'to keep and bear arms' applies only to the right of the state to maintain a militia, and not to the individual's right to bear arms, there can be no serious claim to any express constitutional right of an individual to possess a firearm." (Stevens v. U.S., United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1971).

A similar ruling from the Seventh Circuit held that "Construing [the language of the Second Amendment] according to its plain meaning, it seems clear that the right to bear arms is inextricably connected to the preservation of a militia . . . We conclude that the right to keep and bear handguns is not guaranteed by the Second Amendment." (Quilici v. Village of Morton Grove, U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1982).

I own a concealed colt .22 automatic, mainly for self defense. It's legal to carry a concealed gun where I live.

585364630[/snapback]

Automatic guns are legal? Where do you live?

Yeah, ive got a few.

585364373[/snapback]

Jesus, dude, I don't wanna **** you off. :unsure: