Why Apples Out-Innovate PC's

In general i'm totally dissatisfied with the whole PC experience (win and mac) in general - both OS's would (im running windows, so I cant comment for OS X so much) still have me running into my current pet hates. Neither of them work based on how I work with what im doing.

When Im using my computer, I'll generally have a few tasks happening at once. I may be doing some work in fireworks, dreamweaver, and have firefox and IE open for testing web pages (that would be the major task), I might have my inbox open as i get new email, and I might have a few browser windows open for .. some purpose, maybe related to the key task or not, and then have a few IM windows open as well.

As far as OS's go, I dont think that any of them are really cut out for interrelated, and interconnected working approaches.

Additionally I hate folders. I have too many files on my computer, and my folder structure becomes a complete mess. I know what the files looks like, but I might not always remember what I called i called the file. It can take me close to 30 seconds just to get to the file that I want to open (I want browse my files based on metadata! I cant always use a desktop search either, you cant apply metadata to png's or jpgs I believe.. Windows doesn?t support EXIF(?) header data for them, why it cant be attached to files or the index like other files i dont know!).

(If anyone wants to write a 'recent files' docklet, id just love that.. Its about the best solution I can think of so far).

As far as apple vrs microsoft in terms of innovation, my opinion is that both sides tend to see what works and then rip it off. Ignoring the whole tiger\longhorn debate .. check http://www.dragthing.com/index.html - it was around long before OSX

The big thing that has been getting me lately like others have said is the level of integration of macs - that would be near impossible to get that on a win machine. I want hibernation, yes! I want backlit keyboards, I want keyboards with logoff and the like, I want an inbuilt spell checker (YES!!!).

I think I need to get a blog and start writing down my ideas. Sry for the long post.. Just wanted to chip in my 2c

Owning or not a mac is personal preference, now the reason OSX always comes off as the better OS is the way Apple markets it, they way their users interpret it, and the way they propagate it. If a person is gonna pay $2,000 on basically an OS, they better go down to the bone to make it look as if it's infinetely better.

Mac owners make their OS seem infinetely better and godlike compared to XP - they have a motive. Most PC users are just..PC users :)

585467774[/snapback]

Well, I use both, been a PC user a lot longer than a Mac user, and for what I want out of an OS, I prefer OSX over XP anyday for everything but gaming, because, face it, all the games are on PC's :pinch:

yes, detail would be nice since you were about as vague as possible there

585467605[/snapback]

i had to go watch TV, sorry.

Price-linux is free, windows stays current for about 5 years, OSX needs upgrading every 9 months. i dont like that.

Menubar thingy, i tried it once in KDE cause it has a similair feature, i just didnt like the way it worked. having a menu on each window is better and easier to access.

dock-wastes space, doesnt really handle having more than one window open too well. covers up windows under it.

finder-it doesnt have enough view modes. konqueror has every feature under hte sun, and hten some. i also heard finder was really slow too, but i havent seen that.

boring-this is hard to explain. if you use linux, youll get it.

Well there seem to be some bad bashing around here.

I think that this thread should not really have seen the light of day. If Apple innovate or not is really to subjective and subject ot one own opinion to be a valid subject of objective discution. Still that's my opinion.

Does apple innovate surely they do. And they most likely have the number of patent to prouve it. Does the rest of the computer manufacturer out there innovate most likely they do to and they must have the patent to prouve it.

Apple innovation are traditionnaly more talked about i belive because apple is still seen as the underdog there for every good idea they have is instantly seen as the way for them to get on top. Aldo these ideas are usualy not really rewarded with huge boost of theyre market share, they are often copied and copied a lot. Take the ipod. Since apple ipod clone with more "feature" are exploding now everyone as a ipod killer on sale. Or the imac. Since it's introduction pc case have been more and more colored and unusual. Even do it's true that some of Apple idea where not truly there to begin with (the ipod for example) apple seem to have a nack to expand opon a concept and transform it into something different.

As for the pc versus mac argument. I find that usualy the old argument that mac are more expansive then pc is not really true. Take the ibook for example. It's a 1,240 can $ laptop 12 inch screen, decent hd (30 gig) decent ram (256) decent videocard(radeon 9200) and decent processor (g4 1.2 more or less a p4 2.4) now it's under 5lb a comparrable x86 laptop can be found but usualy not that light. However the ibook come with an os a version of office and ilife. The conparable laptop comes with winxp home and no wifi. Adding office would be and extra 300$. The apple software bundle usualy make a huge difference in the price.

Finaly an apple is not really different than a pc when you add a logitech optical mouse and virtualpc in fact it does the same thing as one ... only better and slower.

Oh and for the one who does not think that xserv is a good server os.... think about it .... BSD is unix compatible

and unix is linux compatible and well novell will be linux compatible on it's next version. What fun

. Its like saying remember windows 98 it crashed alot so XP must do the same.

585467660[/snapback]

and so many mac users bring up hte "beige box" /BSOD argument against xp. that is simply not true.

were you being sarcastic?

cause neither one is released yet...

585467462[/snapback]

It was extremely sarcastic. What you just said makes the idea of one ripping off the other ridiculous. The fact that tiger is close to a release date, and longhorn is not, makes the idea that tiger is ripping off longhorn even more ridiculous than then.

Finaly an apple is not really different than a pc when you add a logitech optical mouse and virtualpc in fact it does the same thing as one ... only better and slower.

Oh and for the one who does not think that xserv is a good server os.... think about it .... BSD is unix compatible

and unix is linux compatible and well novell will be linux compatible on it's next version. What fun

585467840[/snapback]

so your idea of a mac is windows xp inside virtual pc with a logitech mouse? good call!

linux is free. BSD is free. OSX server is overpriced.

so your idea of a mac is windows xp inside virtual pc with a logitech mouse? good call!

linux is free. BSD is free. OSX server is overpriced.

585467859[/snapback]

you forgot windows server there too...

Price-linux is free, windows stays current for about 5 years, OSX needs upgrading every 9 months. i dont like that.

Menubar thingy, i tried it once in KDE cause it has a similair feature, i just didnt like the way it worked. having a menu on each window is better and easier to access.

dock-wastes space, doesnt really handle having more than one window open too well. covers up windows under it.

finder-it doesnt have enough view modes. konqueror has every feature under hte sun, and hten some. i also heard finder was really slow too, but i havent seen that.

585467831[/snapback]

OS X doesn't need upgrading every nine months, the current schedule has ben every 12-14 months. They bring out a huge load of brand new features in that time though. Mac OS X development is slowing down and will likely see a 2-3 year release schedule.

The system wide menubar is great! Using windows at times I often look to the top of the screen and think woah wait a minute!

The dock doesn't waste space at all, you can shrink the icons down to 16px and have the maginifaction feature. Hardly a waste of space if you ask me.

How many view modes do you need, I mainly use column view (something windows doesn't have, not sure about linux) but icon and list view are also selectable.

Edited by mac15

Well, I use both, been a PC user a lot longer than a Mac user, and for what I want out of an OS, I prefer OSX over XP anyday for everything but gaming, because, face it, all the games are on PC's  :pinch:

585467815[/snapback]

Yes, truth be told it's personal preference, mac users are just alot more fanatic =).

585467831[/snapback]

Dock does not waste space haha jeez make it hidden or the same bloody size as the windows task bar. Finder is very fast and Spring loading folders are simply a breeze, handle more then 1 window open? use expose that's what its there for, why have names of windows in a task bar that gets massive if you have to many windows open when you could use expose have 1000 windows open and not have the Dock double in height to accommodate icons.

You come across at someone who does not know anything at all. If I was you I would just not post anymore in this thread for fear of being humiliated.

You all are very extreme to both Apple and the PC sector. I own both (apple powerbook and an emachine amd64) and personally choose the Apple. Why? It's cool and looks really nice. Do I suck at using PC's? I don't think so, I work at a local bestbuy and am part of the GeekSquad. I am constantly doing repairs, upgrades .. blah blah. :angry:

One reason why most of you PC users make fun of Apple is because you can not afford it. Even if you have tested at a local store, you still can not compare it to owning one. Its just a nice piece of hardware and software. It's just like owning a Ferrari. You might have a Corvette .. but I would still have a Ferrari and get more attention. Do not just keep saying "its not rocket science" .. blah blah ... you are just angry since you cannot get one. You say PC is more economical. That is true to some degree [like the iPod], but I still got a Apple. You might have a top of the line laptop with everything, I still got a powerbook. Just suck it up. Some of us get to use one, and if you say you can afford one, go get one ... but just remember you will become on of us.

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Flame me, but I still have a Apple!!

Oh BTW, Windows makes me alot of money with all the spyware, I'm constantly fixing people's PC's for some cash and I'll tell you that is how I got my hand on these wonderful Apple products.

Thanks XP, IE for everything.

Edited by MarkMS

I'm sorry but in the past 15 years Apple computer has not innovated anything really, by innovation I mean something new and drastic that changes everything. All Apple has done in the past decade+ has taken what is already out there and masked it with plastic designs, colors, and animations. They haven't really done anything new or different interms of how things work or how hardware is designed. It's the same thing everyone else has, just under a different facade or with some minor changes.

well you could say that about anything. Dyson Hoover? well without the old bag ones he be out of a job.

Video Cam Corder's - Just cameras that take many pictures really fast.

What do you want apple to do exactly? with 6billion people on the planet its not easy to come up with an original idea.

In my honest opinion they have innovated Wireless technology - (WiFi and Bluetooth, they are currently the first company to release a product with Bluetooth 2.0 the new Powerbooks) they innovated the all in one computer with the eMac iMac. plug in turn on nothing to hook up other then the power keyboard and mouse.

Microsoft didnt really innovate Graphic engine or anything but I really like Direct X and where they have taken it :)

Define poor? If it's making minimum wage and barely making it, then yes. Why would they want to buy an Apple if they could get a PC for half the price? And if you are in that range and try to buy one, then that bad management. If you are in the middle/elite class with some or a college degree then most likely you could afford it. Sorry to say so, but thats life.

So Think Different!! HAHA

well you could say that about anything. Dyson Hoover? well without the old bag ones he be out of a job.

Video Cam Corder's - Just cameras that take many pictures really fast.

What do you want apple to do exactly? with 6billion people on the planet its not easy to come up with an original idea.

In my honest opinion they have innovated Wireless technology - (WiFi and Bluetooth, they are currently the first company to release a product with Bluetooth 2.0 the new Powerbooks) they innovated the all in one computer with the eMac iMac. plug in turn on nothing to hook up other then the power keyboard and mouse.

Microsoft didnt really innovate Graphic engine or anything but I really like Direct X and where they have taken it :)

585467960[/snapback]

that's the problem is innovation in the current state is pretty much dead in the computer world... no mater what you do anymore it's pretty much already been done in some form... the only innovation I can see coming anytime soon is the adddition of async CPU's into computers.

that's the problem is innovation in the current state is pretty much dead in the computer world... no mater what you do anymore it's pretty much already been done in some form... the only innovation I can see coming anytime soon is the adddition of async CPU's into computers.

585467974[/snapback]

What about the back-lit fiber optic keyboard on the powerbook? That innovative!

What abou the back-lit keyboard on the powerbook? That innovative!

585467983[/snapback]

how is something thats been done before innovative? companies have had keyboards like that in the past, be it on obscure models of them and desktop keyboards but it has been done... and for someone that uses computers a lot though, how often do you look at a keyboard to actually need your keys backlit? most likely you have the entire thing memorized like the back of your hand

how is something thats been done before innovative? companies have had keyboards like that in the past, be it on obscure models of them and desktop keyboards but it has been done

585467986[/snapback]

Can you back that up with evidence? Also has it been ever done on a laptop? I don't think so, from what I've seen.

Who is the big boy that everyone wants to follow? Apple!!

iPod, iTunes, iBook .. everyone wants to be like them, just like corvette wants to be like ferrari.

I have some bad news though, corvette will never be like ferrari!

Wow, a troll thread if I ever saw one.  You can always tell an Apple user because they're blinded by their faith in Steve.

You might want to take a trip outside of MacWorld and see the innovations of the PC world.  There is nothing the Mac can do that a PC can't do at half the price. 

585462146[/snapback]

Like keep the average user's computer virus, malware, and adware-free? I yea, hundreds of thousands of PC users have viruses, and millions more have spyware. This is one small advantage of Mcs, though there are many more, such as:

The mac comes standard with a 1-click mouse, which PC users usually don't understand. But think of applications for the PC - important actions are often hidden behind right-click context menus, and interfaces are generally shoddy. Macs are conducive to clever applications.

The architecture of Apple computer chips, especially in cutting-edge models like the dual G5, dwarfs the performance of any PC. If you run multiple resource-hungry applications coincidingly, the best Apples outperform the best PCs hands-down.

Recently, I asked my step-mother if she'd ever used a Mac - she answered no, but that she's seen them, and that they are "pretty". Her answer was surprisingly reflective of Apples hardware innovations. Many will argue to no end that their bling-bling PC case with a light-up interior and external coffee maker are the epitome of beauty and art, most people agree Macs are appealling. There are a couple reasons why: Macs are space-savers, they reduce clutter, they're sleek, and they are smooth and polished. PC users will argue economy, but I will argue the Mac mini (very affordable).

But PC users will keep denying Mac innovations, discarding the rumors of Apple's excellence, disbelieving what your friends tell you about the relief of a virus-free computer, and screaming how good their Intel PC running Windows XP is and how everyone who disagrees is stupid because "PCs is better". But before they know it, the tides will have turned and the PC users will have been swept under by the riptides, and they'll all rush out and buy a Mac and pretend that they knew all along.

Edited by mswarts

His right everyone wants to be like Apple how many look-alike products do you see? I have seen so many mimicking the iBook the iPod in looks some even so so far as adding a lower-case i to the product iRiver for instance.

One reason why most of you PC users make fun of Apple is because you can not afford it. Even if you have tested at a local store, you still can not compare it to owning one. Its just a nice piece of hardware and software. It's just like owning a Ferrari. You might have a Corvette .. but I would still have a Ferrari and get more attention.

This may be the reason I hate the Apple platform and its not even Apples fault. An Apple computer is nowhere noway nohow remotely related to a ferrari. If anything they are a volkswagen. :)

Think about it. The Power mac would be like a W8 and the imac fits the beetle almost perfect. :)

And I could easily afford an Apple but I don't want one. Hey wow theres a concept.

Again the "attention" thing. Thats what I meant by the lifestyle. You think your special because you have a Mac. It's so foolish. :no:

His right everyone wants to be like Apple how many look-alike products do you see? I have seen so many mimicking the iBook the iPod in looks some even so so far as adding a lower-case i to the product iRiver for instance.

585468006[/snapback]

Thank you! iThis and iThat .. sheshh, just get the Apple product. I've even seen a bank name its online system, iBank!!?! It's outrageous.