I've Switched to AMD.

Alright so I started putting this new system together this morning and the ZALMAN is WAYYYY to big... It's so big that it covers up my IDE channel and my AGP Slot  and even hits a few capicitors in the process. :wacko:

So i'm looking for an alternative. Right now I have the AMD one attached and I have plenty of room.

586271255[/snapback]

Thermaltake Silent Boost 80mm. It is an all copper heatsink.

Alright so I started putting this new system together this morning and the ZALMAN is WAYYYY to big... It's so big that it covers up my IDE channel and my AGP Slot  and even hits a few capicitors in the process. :wacko:

So i'm looking for an alternative. Right now I have the AMD one attached and I have plenty of room.

586271255[/snapback]

Thermalright XP-90c. Its got da powah :p Anyways, doesn't the Zalman website have a list of compatible mobos? If yours is listed as compatible and it doesn't fit, Im pretty sure you could get a refund/exchange for another model.

Thermalright XP-90c. Its got da powah :p Anyways, doesn't the Zalman website have a list of compatible mobos? If yours is listed as compatible and it doesn't fit, Im pretty sure you could get a refund/exchange for another model.

586271430[/snapback]

well its my fault for not looking at their site..oops... :wacko:

it aint listed? dang, thatw as big mistake, you where probably still running on intel back then so you couldnt think clearly

586271470[/snapback]

Well i saw it as comptaible 939 HSF but didn't realize that it was so big that it has issues with different layouts. The Neo2 Platinum is listed as incompatible on the website. I didn't even know their was a compatibility list. :wacko:

I just called Zalman and the on that will fit is the 7000-cuB. its 92mm. So i'm gonna order up one of those.

If anyone wants this zalman 7700Cu hit me up with a PM i'd gladly ship it to for like $30.00.

Edited by Steven

Well i saw it as comptaible 939 HSF but didn't realize that it was so big that it has issues with different layouts. The Neo2 Platinum is listed as incompatible on the website. I didn't even know their was a compatibility list.  :wacko:

I just called Zalman and the on that will fit is the 7000-cuB. its 92mm. So i'm gonna order up one of those.

If anyone wants this zalman 7700Cu hit me up with a PM i'd gladly ship it to for like $30.00.

586271487[/snapback]

Tough luck man...All good 120mm HSF (by Zalman, Thermalright) have a compatibility list.

Wow steven, from earlier threads of yours I've posted in, I would have NEVER guessed you'd go over to AMD :|

I always thought of you as "The Intel guy" hahah

Glad you finally switched though :)

Edited by Matrix XII

wow..its so quiet in my room now!!! and this new AMD runs at a much lower voltage 1.4v vs 1.6 (Northwood)

OMG I CAN FINALLY SLEEP!!!! :D

wow..its so quiet in my room now!!! and this new AMD runs at a much lower voltage 1.4v vs 1.6 (Northwood)

586273056[/snapback]

LOL, be glad you didn't have a Prescott :laugh: Anyways, how are the temps with stock cooling? Also, did you apply any AS5 (or any thermal paste, for that matter)?

I would get a X2 for my rig I'm about to build, but they're so damn expensive compared to their intel counterparts. I'll be settling with a Pentium D instead...

I never thought AMD would be the much more expensive one.

I would get a X2 for my rig I'm about to build, but they're so damn expensive compared to their intel counterparts.  I'll be settling with a Pentium D instead...

I never thought AMD would be the much more expensive one.

586276154[/snapback]

It depends what you mean by counterparts ;) An X2 4200+, although more expensive than the cheapest Pentium D, will beat the crap out of most Ds (except the highest end ones) ;) You see, the thing is all of AMD's dual core processors are really high end, while Intel has a line of mid-range dual cores. That'll change when AMD releases their X2 3800+.

586273056[/snapback]

Stock Intel coolers are loud. I placed mine with the same Zalman you're using and now my Northwood is very quiet.

It depends what you mean by counterparts ;) An X2 4200+, although more expensive than the cheapest Pentium D, will beat the crap out of most Ds (except the highest end ones) ;) You see, the thing is all of AMD's dual core processors are really high end, while Intel has a line of mid-range dual cores. That'll change when AMD releases their X2 3800+.

586276237[/snapback]

You can already buy the 3800+ x2 from tekheads for ?265

Stock Intel coolers are loud.  I placed mine with the same Zalman you're using and now my Northwood is very quiet.

586276681[/snapback]

I'm not using the Zalman, it wouldn't fit. I"m using the Stock AMD Fan right now. I'm gonna get a 7000B-cu as soon as I can afford it. :)