I've Switched to AMD.

sick buy, i just upgraded to a dual 2.0 G5 and 17inch pb my self. Maybe ill look into a system similar to your, seems like a great price and bf2 does look tempting..

sick buy, i just upgraded to a dual 2.0 G5 and 17inch pb my self. Maybe ill look into a system similar to your, seems like a great price and bf2 does look tempting..

586239964[/snapback]

I think Steve means he switched,... he didn't switch :p

switch = switching from Intel to AMD

switch = switching from Win to Mac

I knew as soon as I made the title change some mac dude would come in and not read the thread :laugh:

Thermalright xp-120

Zalman 7700cu

<starwars voice>Welcome to the dark side</starwars voice>

586239963[/snapback]

Do those include a Fan? or does the thermalright require me to buy a fan with it?

Do those include a Fan? or does the thermalright require me to buy a fan with it?

586240151[/snapback]

The Thermalright requires a fan unless you get a bundle (which varies from site to site, but it'll say so). Personally I'd go with the Zalman. Just beware that it's a heavy, heavy heatsink. It's the best cooling capacity vs. decibel level out there if I'm not mistaken, aside from watercooling of coures.

You won't regret the move Mr. Staind. (Y) :cool:

Hell has frozen over...

Requesting Permission to come aboard...... :unsure:

586239949[/snapback]

:omg: Steven, AMD, they just don't seem to match.... what's going on Steven? Are you sick? :laugh:

Welcome aboard :yes:

The Thermalright requires a fan unless you get a bundle (which varies from site to site, but it'll say so).? Personally I'd go with the Zalman.? Just beware that it's a heavy, heavy heatsink.? It's the best cooling capacity vs. decibel level out there if I'm not mistaken, aside from watercooling of coures.

You won't regret the move Mr. Staind. (:cool:ol:

586240218[/snapback]

MSI's website stinks (I <3 ASUS's).. I need help finding the CPU support page for this board...

I Picked the Zalman, Total is now @ $498.0:) :) Perfection!:D :D

:edit: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...?UID=607&kind=1

found the CPu page.... thx google:D :D Damnit MSI Don't make me an unhappy customer already!:wacko:ko:

Just also a quick note on your confusion on the 754 and 939 3700+, aside from the higher HyperTransport, it also is more future proof (ie the dual cores) and also uses Dual Channel DDR (that's dependent on the processor, as the memory controller is on the proc itself). The only difference between 754 and 939 really is the number of RAM channels it supports. If you want Dual Channel DDR2, I think the socket has to be liked 1218 pins or so, that's the only downside for upgrading with the AMD's is if they jump to a different RAM standard, the pin count changes.

The Neo2 is the best choice for AGP based S939, great choice there, and I think you'll be pleased with the 3700+. Welcome to the good side of x86 computing. :)

MSI Says I need a 3700+ E4 Version... is this hard to find? or is this the normal one I should expect...

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...?UID=607&kind=1

Last thing I want is to buy all this stuff then find out I have the wrong version of the CPU!  :crazy:

586240243[/snapback]

Just get a 3700+ San Diego, they're all E4.

Only the 3700+ Clawhammer is different -- and you can tell because it's still made using the 130nm process tech.

The 939 will run much cooler than the 754... the 754 operates at 1.5v whereas the 939 operates at 135-140 V.

586239894[/snapback]

1.35/1.40 is different from 135/140. If I asked you to pay me $1.35, I would appreciate the $135 tho :whistle:

One advantage of this is that the motherboard i'm going to buy will support all these fancy ass new AMD processors. If i was to stay with Intel I would have to go PCI-Express to get Dual Core. That is not an option.

AMD has left me open with a LARGE upgrade lifecycle.

I can keep using AGP and get Dual Core (eventually) and I don't have to buy DDR2 memory.

I suppose AMD will eventually discontinue 939 but that's not really important for me yet. They have given me the ability to easily upgrade to Dual Core without having to change my Video Card and RAM.

oh and thanks for that mention that the 3700+ are all the same "E4" that makes me feel better.

One advantage of this is that the motherboard i'm going to buy will support all these fancy ass new AMD processors. If i was to stay with Intel I would have to go PCI-Express to get Dual Core. That is not an option.

I can keep using AGP and get Dual Core (eventually) and I don't have to buy DDR2 memory.

586240289[/snapback]

Yeah, but AGP may die soon so the gamer in you may not be pleased. :)

Yeah, but AGP may die soon so the gamer in you may not be pleased. :)

586240298[/snapback]

My 6800GT IMO has a life to live. It's only been in my hands about 2 weeks. If nVidia wants to keep making AGP in the 7 Series then the more power to me and if they don't I will still have a motherboard that supports Dual Core anyway.

so Will I miss HyperThreading? Will my PC be sorta slow when running multiple tasks? :unsure:

I like to listen to Music with iTunes while I play my Games. with this be a problem with the Athlon?

586240289[/snapback]

That's what I liked about the Socket 939 platform and why I waited for the nForce 4 boards. I got to go PCIe and Athlon 64 from the get go (I wanted PCIe anyhow, I had a Radeon 9700 and wanted something better). As I stated earlier, when AMD goes to DDR2, it'll be a new socket. With the CPU's, I updated to the latest A8N SLI Deluxe Bios, powered off, pulled out my 3500+, popped in my 4400+ X2, BIOS saw it right away, both Windows XP 32bit and x64 saw the change in hardware, updated to ACPI Muliprocessor PC in the device manager, and both ARE using the dual core without a reinstall. I was encoding a video, and cpu usage total was about 90%, so it was using both cores.

so Will I miss HyperThreading? Will my PC be sorta slow when running multiple tasks?  :unsure:

586240324[/snapback]

There's a possibility that you will, though I can't personally comment on it because I've never been at the helm of a HT machine...

The new proc will be speedier than your old proc at stock speeds... and don't forget you have a large overclocking window open in front of you :yes:

I'll be honest here, you know I had a hyperthreading processor, namely one of the first to get a 3.0GHz "c" Northwood that had it on it. When I went to the 3500+, I did notice somethings were not as smooth as they were on the P4 because of the hyperthreading.? Could have just been my imagination though.? Now that's all a thing of the past, X2:):)

586240347[/snapback]

You're enticing me to save up and deal with a dead PC for a few extra weeks and get an X2...:unsure:e:

I really do a lot of things at once. I always have my music on whenever i'm doing something and I know HT makes that nicer.

To be honest I'm not without a computer at home so my situation isn't as bad as it might seem. I still have my Laptop but it's no America's Army capable. I can play C&C Generals on it:):) AA is my baby though.:cry:y:

so Will I miss HyperThreading? Will my PC be sorta slow when running multiple tasks?  :unsure:

I like to listen to Music with iTunes while I play my Games. with this be a problem with the Athlon?

586240324[/snapback]

I'll be honest here, you know I had a hyperthreading processor, namely one of the first to get a 3.0GHz "c" Northwood that had it on it. When I went to the 3500+, I did notice somethings were not as smooth as they were on the P4 because of the hyperthreading. Could have just been my imagination though. Now that's all a thing of the past, X2. :)

You're enticing me to save up and deal with a dead PC for a few extra weeks and get an X2.... :unsure:

Honest I'm not without a computer at home. I still have my Laptop but it's no gaming machine...

586240351[/snapback]

I would save up for an X2 or take a $250 hit on your credit card (just make sure you can pay it in time).

You're enticing me to save up and deal with a dead PC for a few extra weeks and get an X2.... :unsure:

Honest I'm not without a computer at home. I still have my Laptop but it's no gaming machine...

586240351[/snapback]

To be honest, the reason why I jumped on the X2 only 6months after getting my 3500+ is because I own a Media Center computer, I want to archive what I record into smaller format, plus I own a Dell Axim x50v, I want to encode videos as well. This processor allows me to do this all much faster than a single core. I've gotten used to how apps behave on a single core without a logical one, but now I'll be spoiled again. I don't suggest you buy an X2 just to get a better feel from the system when doing more tasks. You should get it if you are going to use the power of the X2, like I am. It makes a great gaming proc in addition to being on par with P4's with hypthreading or dual core in the arena of encoding now.

EDIT: This is just one of the reasons I like X2's..

3500+ video encoding:Job finished. Total time: 2 hours 11 minutes 49 seconds

4400+ same video, settings: Job finished. Total time: 1 hour, 18 minutes 38 seconds

Edited by Martog

I would save up for an X2 or take a $250 hit on your credit card (just make sure you can pay it in time).

586240358[/snapback]

The 4400 X2 is like $700.00. I think thats way too much. The 4200 X2(Manchester) is 545... I think I'll pass for now.

I'll miss HT but I'm not going to make a stink about it.