I've Switched to AMD.

Busted?  :laugh:

I'm planning on grabbing a Venice soon. I considered a dual core, but the cost and the fact that its still the first generation makes me want to just grab a single core for now and upgrade once the technology has matured. Its like 64 bit in its early days... It wasn't the best. But by now, there's been leaps and bounds of improvements.

586241439[/snapback]

venice looks great but i think im going to wait till '06 to upgrade my xp 2400. patience has recently become my virtue, regarding hardware, as of late. :p

Good change... however just to set the record straight... at stock speed a socket 754 3700+ DOES outperform a socket 939 3700+ however the normal OC achievable with the 939 makes it better.

The XP-120 does tend to cool 2 or 3 degrees less then the Zalman, but that's hardly something to write home about.  Nor does it come with a fan like the Zalman, ie. extra costs.

The Zalman uses a 120mm fan which pushes more air at a lower rpm then your 92mm fan would and is adjustable.

586241406[/snapback]

Are you talking about the XP-120 or XP-90? XP-120 uses a 120mm fan, for your information, and a custom one at that so you change choose whether you want a lower noise level or a higher speed fan.

I moved up to an X2 4200 this weekend. So far so good.

Intel engineers should know better than anyone how much better AMD's dual core implementation is. The crossbar switch setup completely blows away Intel's "Let's duct tape two P4s to one socket" approach. Two cores that have to leave the chip via the FSB and go through the north bridge in order to talk to each other... seriously, you can do better than that.

The XP-120 does tend to cool 2 or 3 degrees less then the Zalman, but that's hardly something to write home about.  Nor does it come with a fan like the Zalman, ie. extra costs.

The Zalman uses a 120mm fan which pushes more air at a lower rpm then your 92mm fan would and is adjustable.

586241406[/snapback]

I actually said the XP-90c in my post :p that seems to get better results then a XP-120, and as Cyrilix said the XP-120 is a 120mm fan obviously as the XP-90 is a 92mm fan ;)

Good change... however just to set the record straight... at stock speed a socket 754 3700+ DOES outperform a socket 939 3700+ however the normal OC achievable with the 939 makes it better.

586241495[/snapback]

I don't think so....It's clocked 200mhz higher, but being in s754, you can't have a dual-channel rig with it, hurting your memory bandwidth. Also, I think the HT speed is higher on s939 processors. You got any benchies of the ol' 3700+ whoopin the new one? That'd be pretty cool to see :happy:

I too am making the switch from Intel to AMD. This next week I am placing an order for an AMD X2 4400+. Can't fricken wait.

I'm about to push the order button..... :happy:

586243559[/snapback]

::cue drumroll::

STE-VEN...STE-VEN...STE-VEN...

He's going to do it! :cool:

May the GHz be with you. Although you now lack them, the precious ones you have will serve you far better than any of intel offering.

</god like voice>

Let it be known that I've just purchased AMD Products.  :laugh:  :ninja:

586243727[/snapback]

Good work son, you've done the right thing :D

What was ordered:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.4GHz (San Diego)

Zalman 7700cu (120mm HSF)

Arctic Silver 5

Total < $520.00

and you thought this was a joke!!! HA!

I'll show the pictures next week...you'll see... :)

Steven has defected!!!!! :ninja:

and you thought this was a joke!!! HA!

I'll show the pictures next week...you'll see... :)

Steven has defected!!!!!  :ninja:

586243927[/snapback]

I swore you purchased DDR2 a few months ago, or was you debating it?