I've Switched to AMD.

I swore you purchased DDR2 a few months ago, or was you debating it?

586244674[/snapback]

I was debating to upgrade to i955X but then I bought an AGP Video card and that changed the road I was driving down.

I got my 4400+ for $529 OEM from Monarch, plus $15 for the 3 year warrenty, not a bad deal.

The X2 is a gaming procesor if you also use the other benefits it provides. My games do not run any worse than my 3500+ at the same speed (though the X2 has double the cache per core than the 3500+ had). It is not strictly meant to be for gaming only, if that is what you meant.  I think it's the best all around processor, it does gaming subperbly, as well as multimedia tasks as well.  FX's are too over priced for what they are really worth, I'd rather just bump up a standard Athlon 64 using the RAM for increased performance, rather than bumping the multiplier, which only gives clock speed, not increased memory performance at the same time.

586240435[/snapback]

amd has also said the dualcore is not its flagship gaming processor its been discussed on xs for a while now

OT BOOO Steven oh well who isnt switching over to amd these days, i know i am in a few months!

im stickin with intel :ninja: ^^

586246142[/snapback]

Me too. I love my laptop. I wouldn't switch to AMD ever. :)

586246570[/snapback]

huh :woot: didnt you just order an AMD :s

edit: Ah laptop sorry ill goto sleep now

Edited by se7en.hu

i'm gonna push this Intel system to the side and just take it apart and rebuild an AMD system with my AGP Video Card, Neopower and my Corsair RAM.

So Go ahead and "Show me the money" (parts) ;)

I MUST PLAY MY GAMES!!!!!!!!!!

America's Army Lives in me!!!!!!  :D

586239676[/snapback]

Please tell me that you didn't buy your nice 6800 AGP just for America's Army :rofl:

586246570[/snapback]

I dont know Steven, if the Turion catches on in the market you might want to retract that statement.

I just bought a Pentium M based laptop myself. :D

Can you guys give me an estimate on what tempatures I should expect from the 3700+.

Should it be cooler than Northwood? Prescott?

Thx

I dont know Steven, if the Turion catches on in the market you might want to retract that statement.

I just bought a Pentium M based laptop myself. :D

586247630[/snapback]

Ok i need to stop saying "ever" I said I would never buy an AMD for my desktop and oops look what has happened. :laugh: :ninja:

Right now as far as laptop technology goes Intel is doing a pretty damn good job at it.

My one gripe with Turion is that its not really a "Platform" there is no standard set by AMD on how an OEM has to setup Turion. (eg type of chipset/wireless device)

lastly, my items from newegg shipped today. I hope to get them by Monday so I can get back in business. :)

Steven i dont know the exact temperatures but just remember that AMD 64 has the cool & quiet feature which should clock the Proc down while your doing normal desktop things and then Crank it back to full speed when your playing americas army for example... So Im thinking on average it should stay cooler. Plus I heard the San Diego core is really good too.

Edit: Actually on that review I posted a page back it has a temperatures comparison too check it out Here

Steven i dont know the exact temperatures but just remember that AMD 64 has the cool & quiet feature which should clock the Proc down while your doing normal desktop things and then Crank it back to full speed when your playing americas army for example... So Im thinking on average it should stay cooler. Plus I heard the San Diego core is really good too.

586251309[/snapback]

I've heard good things about San Diego too, ya know the water & the beaches... I've been there once. I hope the Processor can live up to the city. :cool: :D

I've heard good things about San Diego too, ya know the water & the beaches... I've been there once. I hope the Processor can live up to the city.  :cool:  :D

586251317[/snapback]

My 2.7ghz@1.55v idles at 38C on a TT Silent Boost, no XP-90 in here, not too bad, loads at like 50C.

amd has also said the dualcore is not its flagship gaming processor its been discussed on xs for a while now

586244912[/snapback]

I think the reason AMD is saying that is because they are going to keep the X2's clocked lower than the FX series, just to show that the FX have the clock speed advantage in games. Peronsally I think AMD should axe the FX line and introduce high speed X2's instead as their replacement, giving the best of both worlds, gaming and other, in one packege, touting it as their flagship x86 compatible processor. I think that would just really give a good knock at Intel, who mainly accel in the multimedia aspect, but now have stiff competition in that market too from AMD, since they've basically lost the gaming aspect all together, since most gamers prefer AMD, some will stick with Intel to the end. I just think the X2's are the ideal solution to gaming and multimedia, and if AMD would just push them harder and clock them higher, phasing the FX's out, it may also lead more developers to go the route of writing applications that will take advantage of dual cores. Granted this probably has been given a push by Intel with hyperthreading, and the reason why XP Home knows it is logical processors (Intel worked with MS to make sure XP was as P4 optimized as possible, and that included hyperthreading).

Maybe now with AMD having a dual core solution, hopefully game developers look to that when developing games, making them take advantage of the power that is available for non-graphics functions, optimizing the games for multi core and multi processor. The future is uncertain, but I believe this is the route develoeprs will go, seeing as Intel is making DC procs under $300, and no doubt AMD will follow in that soon with 3800+ and 4000+ X2's in the pipeline.

Sorry to steal a thread but it seemed fairly on topic.

How long will it be until we start seeing multi thread OS's/applications/games?

586243653[/snapback]

Most OSes already support threading, though some better than others. The Windows NT kernel is built for threading (and thus has an advantage over Linux/BSD systems in this regard) and its scheduler does a pretty good job taking advantage of multi-CPU systems.

Many applicatoins are already multi-threaded. Games rarely, if ever, are - though hopefully that will change.

On Windows systems, the scheduler should load balance processes between the CPUs. You can even set a processor affinity using Task Manager to delegate specific tasks to individual CPUs (or cores).

Can you guys give me an estimate on what tempatures I should expect from the 3700+.

Never had one of those exactly, but you should see idle temps around high 30s (celsius).

My X2 4200+ is 43C right now under a fair bit of use and the stock HSU/fan. And that's two cores.

Should it be cooler than Northwood? Prescott?

586251297[/snapback]

Hahahahaha

Good one.

Let it be known that I've just purchased AMD Products.  :laugh:  :ninja:

586243727[/snapback]

Let it be known thet I purchased Intel products... was best bang for the buck laptop.. would have bought AMD if a nice model had been offered, thou I respect the Pentium M (unlike the P4)... so far I'm happy with it (except for HDD failure.. but that's unrelated to Intel/AMD)

My one gripe with Turion is that its not really a "Platform" there is no standard set by AMD on how an OEM has to setup Turion. (eg type of chipset/wireless device)

586251301[/snapback]

I don't really see why thats important. Or am I overlooking the obvious? Whats wrong with allowing manufacturers to mix and match different chipsets and wireless card?

hell has unforzen over again when artofwar bought intel!

threedaysdwn, 43? is a bit hot you might want to look into that, maybe fixing airflow in your case, or getting a better HSF

I don't really see why thats important. Or am I overlooking the obvious? Whats wrong with allowing manufacturers to mix and match different chipsets and wireless card?

586252274[/snapback]

the only thing wrong with it is that now you have to supply all different drivers and train your staff on all sorts of different hardware that a customer might have.

hell has unforzen over again when artofwar bought intel!

threedaysdwn, 43? is a bit hot you might want to look into that, maybe fixing airflow in your case, or getting a better HSF

586252710[/snapback]

hahahah I know

but the P-M is good and well there were no AMD PC's that could compete with the 6600GO and a 33% Overclock (1.6 to 2.13) for that price range

What would your employer think of you jumping ship?  :rofl:

586239646[/snapback]

I know this was mentioned, but I have a few friends that work for Intel in Hillsboro who are die-hard AMD users for their personal gaming rigs. I myself started off w/ Intel, went to AMD, went back to Intel, and am going back to AMD. Perhaps this move will be permanent. I don't know, but time will tell :)

Almost got hired on w/ Intel, but it damn hard to get hired on as blue badge. They are pretty good about bringing in people who are green badge, but it is quite hard because most green badge people are fighting for the ever so desired blue :p

Alright so I started putting this new system together this morning and the ZALMAN is WAYYYY to big... It's so big that it covers up my IDE channel and my AGP Slot and even hits a few capicitors in the process. :wacko:

So i'm looking for an alternative. Right now I have the AMD one attached and I have plenty of room.

Steven on AMD... omg... front page news? :p

i have one thing to add, dunno if it been said but if you plan to go x2 u might need an bios update

now get yourself an AMD t-shirt :D