Official Windows Messenger Live BETA Thread

i downloaded, installed it.. but wont let me sign in!

I get messenger made several attempts to sign you in. Your firewall may be blocking messenger from connecting you to the service. Please review firewall settings..

I DONT HAVE A FIREWALL!!

ne1 else having same problem???

i downloaded, installed it.. but wont let me sign in!

I get messenger made several attempts to sign you in. Your firewall may be blocking messenger from connecting you to the service. Please review firewall settings..

I DONT HAVE A FIREWALL!!

ne1 else having same problem???

Do you have a router? If you do that may be the problem. Using it on a schools network? Could also be a problem.

Do you have a router? If you do that may be the problem. Using it on a schools network? Could also be a problem.

I actually used the msnp13 downgrader and it worked..but its weird..i'm official tester, i recd.link through mail. I thought if ur address isnt registered, then only u wont sign in and can use downgrader to fix it.

ne clue??

Yay... I had the luck of waking up to an email FINALLY from Microsoft.

YES WE"RE IN... but ummm, i cant dlick on the "DOWLOAD" icon at ideas.live theres no link

Quick question. How do you change the view of your contacts on your list? There used to be an option where you could pick whether or not you could view them with pictures, not just by hovering over them.

Quick question. How do you change the view of your contacts on your list? There used to be an option where you could pick whether or not you could view them with pictures, not just by hovering over them.

Button directly beside the new 'search contact' box, click it and select show details.

This is going to be a sorta stupid question...

During the 7.5 beta I was still using 6.2 and I somehow was able to have both versions installed on the same windows. I'm in the Live Beta, I just downloaded the client this morning. since the last beta I've upgraded to 7.5, is there any way to have them both installed? I have my 7.5 the way I like it with all my plugins etc all setup. If someone could please help I'd appreciate it.

This is going to be a sorta stupid question...

During the 7.5 beta I was still using 6.2 and I somehow was able to have both versions installed on the same windows. I'm in the Live Beta, I just downloaded the client this morning. since the last beta I've upgraded to 7.5, is there any way to have them both installed? I have my 7.5 the way I like it with all my plugins etc all setup. If someone could please help I'd appreciate it.

Before you install the WLM beta, copy the MSN Messenger folder from c:\Program Files and dump it somewhere else. Then just run the msnmgs.exe from that folder you copied to launch 7.5.

This is really important if your computer is shared with people who dont have an authorized WLM Beta-Authorized .NET account.

YES WE"RE IN... but ummm, i cant dlick on the "DOWLOAD" icon at ideas.live theres no link

Mmmm... It should have taken you to ideas and from there you signed in with your passport and then chosen to download the beta.

Note you must be using IE to do all of this if you want to download it.

Before you install the WLM beta, copy the MSN Messenger folder from c:\Program Files and dump it somewhere else. Then just run the msnmgs.exe from that folder you copied to launch 7.5.

This is really important if your computer is shared with people who dont have an authorized WLM Beta-Authorized .NET account.

So copying the folder and then renaming it would help? So making the copy MSN Messenger 2 and relinking the shortcuts to that would work? Wouldn't that effect plugin's like Messenger Plus! ?

Thanks,

EGM92

So copying the folder and then renaming it would help? So making the copy MSN Messenger 2 and relinking the shortcuts to that would work? Wouldn't that effect plugin's like Messenger Plus! ?

Thanks,

EGM92

You wont have to rename the folder, just copy it to the root of the C:\ thats what I did.

Messenger Plus should still work. I havent tried it but from what i can remember, MsgPlus just runs as a backround service and sees when MSN Messenger is running. I dont think its location specific at all, what if you didnt install MSN in the default folder from the start?

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\myemailaddress@hotmail.com\SharingMetadata\Working

File: SimilarityTable_2

Uum, i have just noticed that this file takes up 8GB of space, now im presuming its to do with WLM Beta which i installed yday (btw yea im an official tester). rather riduculous amount of space!

Anyone got this? Safe to delete?

Thanks

8gb of space?! that's insane. I'm about to install my client right now hopefully everything goes well. I'll let you know if I experience the same problem

I just installed it and I'm running it, first: orange and grey?! whoever though of this color scheme should be SHOT! especially when the fonts on the username etc are WHITE that has to be changed. Luckily you can change the colors. The Green buttoms seem ok they're easy to read since the white font sticks out.

The Tabs bar on the lefthand side is a real pain for me. I hate how the entire "strip" is dedicated to the tabs, It was better in before when the tabs had their own little section next to the contacts and the user information section (display picture, username, etc) was pushed all the way to the left directly on top of it.

I really like how when you scroll over contacts that it expands and shows a preview of all their stuff,but thankfully MS ha put in an option to stop it :) that makes me very happy lol

Question, is anyone else unable to see who is away/busy? all I see is a green MSN logo with no status.

Edited by EGM92

Check the newgroups - many people (including me) are experiencing this.

However, read the file property window again - it'll say

"

Size - 8.02 GB

Size on Disk - 25.64 MB

"

Or something like that.

Windows isn't reading the file properly, but it's not 8gb.

Check the newgroups - many people (including me) are experiencing this.

However, read the file property window again - it'll say

"

Size - 8.02 GB

Size on Disk - 25.64 MB

"

Or something like that.

Windows isn't reading the file properly, but it's not 8gb.

Good stuff, thanks for that, guess its an issue for microsoft to get sorted

Cheers

k i am a beta tester image i attached proved it, but do i need IE to download it? cause in firefox it ain't happening, oh yeah i was downloading it off of my ibook too

post-59649-1134669337_thumb.jpg

This is what I e-mailed/posted on the newsgroups.

All secondary Accounts for beta testers should have access to this beta, for instance if my email address is something@something.com and is the passport I use for all my Microsoft beta testing then if my secondary account is a @hotmail.com/.co.uk account it should have automatic access on the grounds that not many people use there "beta" testers account for anything other then signing into betaplace/connect. I know I sure dont. Please give us invites or do something because honestly beta testers have a list we use for family and friends and a list for one one at all.

-Romeo