February CTP Build 5308.17

Sorry to disapoint you guys, but the release date for Microsoft File Transfer Manager 5.0 is: Thursday, Febuary 23rd, 2006 (according to my MSDN Subscriber Download's Homepage, that is), which means that the release date for for the Febuary Windows Vista CTP is also: Thursday, Febuary 23rd, 2006.

What it means is: MSDN Subscriber's have to wait until Thursday, Febuary, 23rd, 2006, to get the Febuary CTP.

Sorry to disapoint you guys, but the release date for Microsoft File Transfer Manager 5.0 is: Thursday, Febuary 23rd, 2006 (according to my MSDN Subscriber Download's Homepage, that is), which means that the release date for for the Febuary Windows Vista CTP is also: Thursday, Febuary 23rd, 2006.

Sorry to disappoint but the release date for Microsoft File Transfer Manager 5.0 has already passed:

http://transfers.ds.microsoft.com/ftm/default.aspx which means that the release date for the Feb CTP isn't Thursday 23rd Feb.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Vista_Febr...sday/1140548193

Vista February CTP Due Wednesday

By Nate Mook, BetaNews

February 21, 2006, 1:56 PM

Microsoft on Wednesday is expected to make available the third CTP, or Community Technology Preview, of Windows Vista. The February release has been scheduled to be the first feature-complete build of Microsoft's next-generation operating system and will showcase for the first time the Windows Sidebar.

Redmond officials are hosting a conference call early Wednesday to discuss the status of Vista development. Microsoft has held two previous calls: one if November to announce that no public CTP would be release, and another before Christmas to herald the arrival of the December CTP. A broader Beta 2 release of Windows Vista is still expected in the first half of 2006.

Just quoting the news... personally I don't see why they can't release it today and then discuss it tomorrow ;)

Will vista have anything like shortcut following. I.e If i isntall a program, sure it installs it under programs in my start menu. If i then move it to a different group and uninstall it, the link to it is still in the group I moved it to. Just makes it annoying to have to manually delete stuff like that

Will vista have anything like shortcut following. I.e If i isntall a program, sure it installs it under programs in my start menu. If i then move it to a different group and uninstall it, the link to it is still in the group I moved it to. Just makes it annoying to have to manually delete stuff like that

No.

I'm sat here now just patiently waiting for connect to refresh so I can get my mits on it. I did like the error message about "installation is taking longer than expected" lol Thought something was going seriously wrong with my hardware then lol

100% correct, it ran really slow on 512MB when i tested it. :)

Err no, when the offical windows vista was up on help.microsoft it said it would recomened one gig, not needed. I guess once it gets out of beta everything will run smoother on less.

the link is still down so i cannot qoute it, http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...eeb8f51033.mspx

why don't you try testing with 512 MB on your machine? :)

I have it worked fine, and with glass.

Although I guess it depends with video card if its choppy or slow down so I will agree with that older cards that do still support it may lag, while newer ones are fine....I ran it with a newer 256mb card though.

I have it worked fine, and with glass.

Although I guess it depends with video card if its choppy or slow down so I will agree with that older cards that do still support it may lag, while newer ones are fine....I ran it with a newer 256mb card though.

i have a 256mb card, even with that, the overall performance was slow, for example: openning a window on the desktop was like running a P1, with XP installed on it. :)

REALLY.

i have a 256mb card, even with that, the overall performance was slow, for example: openning a window on the desktop was like running a P1, with XP installed on it. :)

REALLY.

I dont know then, I know some people it works fine they use it. While others have problems like your talking about. It will hopefully be fixed in this new version.

I was able to run Dec CTP on my system:

P4 3.0Ghz

1024MB PC3500

ATi Radeon 9700 TX

That system gives me decent performance, of course slower than XP - but still fast with not massive slowdowns.

Yes, Vista WILL run fine on 512 MB of RAM when it goes final. Beta builds are always slower, anyone who has ever been a part of a beta test can tell you that. Have patience.

REALLY.

I don't think performance is really being worked on much at this point. It will come later - probably RC0.

I'm a sys admin trialing the builds for my company and I've got 5270 installed on three boxes:

Desktop Work PC (Dell Dimension 9200)

P4 3.4Ghz HT

2GB

NVidia 7800 GTX 256MB

250GB SATA2 disk

Personal Laptop (Dell Inspiron 9100)

P4 3.0 Ghz HT

1GB RAM

ATI 9800 256MB

80GB 5,400rpm disk

Work Test Box (Dell Dimension 8100)

P4 1.4Ghz

512MB

GeForce4 440 64MB

40GB 7,200rpm disk

Admittedly the first two both exceed the required specs, but for their significant differences I notice very little if any performance difference when switching between the two.

If anything the laptop is faster - its ATI drivers seem to handle glass better than the Nvidia card - which is annoying because my 7800GTX is meant to be the bomb - and also meant to be the first card that natively supports the new Avalon features in Vista

quote - http://selectivegamers.com/content/view/12/159/1/1/

Vista and G70 videocards

The 7800 GTX and all other upcoming G70 videocards support the Vista 3D Desktop Engine. The G70 videocards also are fully optimized for DirectX 10 and LDDM. Because the G70 cards support LDDM, VISTA will take control of the videocard's BIOS and driver. This means that Vista will automatically be able to change settings for optimal gaming performance. The LDDM feature is a part of WinSat.

The G70 videocards don't support the new features of DirectX 10 that will be released in the form DirectX 10b and 10c, but this technology won't be used in the near future. With a G70 videocard you don't have to worry about using Vista.

As for the third 'test' box, if I'm totally honest it doesn't run *much* slower, so for all you people out there who long for better hardware to test the build on - don't feel too bad, it doesn't make too much difference at this point in time.

These are my opinions - if you disagree - that it your opinion. Please don't start a whole load of responses to this, my intention is simply to give an honest account of performance running on three seperate boxes at different hardware levels and to let the lower spec neowinners know that having the best hardware available isn't actually that important at this point.

Hope this helps people.

ohh - just checked the thread again - reports of it being on MSDN? any confirmation?

Cheers

Joe