The Official NDS Homebrew Thread

If I were to order it from china, would the menu be in chinese? From the site, they also will be sending all NDS Roms along with the product. Bad bad bad!

Yes, the menu would be in Chinese, with no way to update it to English. So you are better off just waiting for the English version. Shouldn't be long now. It also said that they are considering an 8Gb version (1GB).

About the ROMS, well, it's a Chinese product, so what do you expect? :rofl: . I highly doubt they will be included with the English version though.

Edit: English version available next week :D .

Hi,

We will release the G6 Lite next week .

It will fit into the GBA cartridge slot of the DS Lite without any sticking out.

It is good fit & compatible with all GBA , NDS & NDSL console .(not only for NDSL)

The package included :

1, G6 Lite (Crystal white )

2, cartridge case (Enamal Navy )

3, cartridge case (Ice Blue )

4, GBA cartridge case

5, USB burner

Regards

D@m3

Edited by Ji@nBing

Yes, the menu would be in Chinese, with no way to update it to English. So you are better off just waiting for the English version. Shouldn't be long now. It also said that they are considering an 8Gb version (1GB).

About the ROMS, well, it's a Chinese product, so what do you expect? :rofl: . I highly doubt they will be included with the English version though.

Edit: English version available next week :D .

Awesome stuff...at that price, I am soo tempted to get one. Does it work with the new Superkey?

Awesome stuff...at that price, I am soo tempted to get one. Does it work with the new Superkey?

Yeah, me too :p . No word on the US price yet though, so not sure if it will remain that cheap or not. Plus I would need at least 1GB of space, and probably by the time they release that size, the M3 Lite will be out so I may as well just go for that so I can have expandable memory.

As far as the Superkey, it should be compatible. The Superkey and Passcard3 so far have the exact same compatibility, and since Passcard3 is made by the same company as the G6, the Superkey should work. We'll have to wait until it's out for confirmation though.

Here's a ton of images of the G6 Lite. 56k run while you still can!!!

g6l017fj.jpg

g6l029vf.jpg

g6l031ws.jpg

g6l043eh.jpg

g6l066ni.jpg

g6l058ih.jpg

g6l074fu.jpg

ndsliteg6lite25yp.jpg

ndsliteg6lite38xy.jpg

Side by side with the original GBA cover:

g6litecompare20ma.jpg

g6litecompare10od.jpg

"Naked" pics:

g6pcb13ov.jpg

g6pcb26iu.jpg

Looking pretty nice. I may just have to get one when the 1GB comes out ;)

Here's a ton of images of the G6 Lite. 56k run while you still can!!!

Looking pretty nice. I may just have to get one when the 1GB comes out ;)

Oh man that looks good, I think seeing that gorgeous and perfect fit makes me sold. The 512MB might just work fine for me, as I don't plan to watch movies on mine or listen to music on mine (have a video ipod), it will mainly be for Homebrew games and other emulation things. Very nice. BTW, is there an ETA in the 1GB version...and also, can you tell me where you think the best place to order one will be (based on price and being shipped to the USA)?

Oh, and did you get your new Superkey yet?

Whats the difference with this and the EZ4 Lite, other than the fact that this has fixed ram and the EZ4 Lite takes microsd cards?

There are too many cards i dunno which is best :(

OK, i just got mine about a week or two ago, and I'm really interested in getting Homebrew running on it, so can somebody tell me what i would need?

I know i need a flashcart and such (G6 Lite looks nice), and a "NoPass" kind of device, but what are the best ones, with the best compatibility with things? (and such)

Oh man that looks good, I think seeing that gorgeous and perfect fit makes me sold. The 512MB might just work fine for me, as I don't plan to watch movies on mine or listen to music on mine (have a video ipod), it will mainly be for Homebrew games and other emulation things. Very nice. BTW, is there an ETA in the 1GB version...and also, can you tell me where you think the best place to order one will be (based on price and being shipped to the USA)?

Oh, and did you get your new Superkey yet?

I get all my stuff from Kicktrading. Fast delivery (usually within a few days) and great service. He responds to emails right away. He's having a problem with paypal right now due to his high volume, but it should be solved by the 26th. Linky

About my Supekey, it's been waiting to be picked up at the post office for a couple of days now, but I haven't been able to get there before they close because of my work schedule. I'll be picking it up on Friday :)

Whats the difference with this and the EZ4 Lite, other than the fact that this has fixed ram and the EZ4 Lite takes microsd cards?

There are too many cards i dunno which is best :(

The G6 is much better quality and looks nicer. It also has better compaitibility particularly with homebrew.

Yeah, there are a lot of cards and it can be confusing. You have to look at the features of each card and what you plan on using it for. The two best allround cards are the M3 and Supercard. Both are pretty much the same but the M3 has a nice GUI loader and Moonshell built into it's firmware, where as the Supercard just has a basic text loader. The Supercard is a lot less expensive so you have to decide if eye candy is worth the extra price. Also the M3 runs GBA a little bit better.

Keep in mind there are no versions of the M3 and Supercard that fit flush in the Lite, but the M3 version should be out within a month with the Supercard not far behind.

I think I may be buying myself one of those...Where do you suggest I buy one from when they come out?

See the Kicktrading link above.

OK, i just got mine about a week or two ago, and I'm really interested in getting Homebrew running on it, so can somebody tell me what i would need?

I know i need a flashcart and such (G6 Lite looks nice), and a "NoPass" kind of device, but what are the best ones, with the best compatibility with things? (and such)

You'll find all your answers earlier in the thread.

Edit: Was just looking over those pics again and I'm wondering if the G6 Lite will be able to fit inside the original GBA cover case. Hmmm.... :iiam:

Edited by Ji@nBing

Anybody have any luck running DS Linux? I have a DS Lite, M3 MiniSD and Passcard 2. When I start dslinux.ds.gba I get this message:

VFS: Mounted root (romfs filesystem) readonly.
Freeing init memory: 56K
Warning: unable to open initial console.
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

Edited by NeoNut

Never mind. I compiled the source code myself and it works. They don't have the precompiled download of the new version that fixes writes on SD cards. :D

Anybody have any luck running DS Linux? I have a DS Lite, M3 MiniSD and Passcard 2. When I start dslinux.ds.gba I get this message:

VFS: Mounted root (romfs filesystem) readonly.
Freeing init memory: 56K
Warning: unable to open initial console.
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I only gave DS Linux a quick try, because I just couldn't be bothered typing out all kinds of commands on an on screen keyboard just to preform simple tasks. I'd suggest asking here, they will probably be able to help you.

Just letting everyone know that the G6 Lite is available for preorder on Winsunx. It comes to about $100USD with shipping, still considerably cheaper than the older models.

Does anyone know of a program that can unstick stuck pixels? My DS Lite has a green pixel on the top screen and I know that I can take it in and exchange it but since I've been messing with the homebrew stuff, I thought I'd see if it'd fix my pixel first and if not, I can get it exchanged.

Thanks in advance.

I just noticed there's a nice working MSN messenger homebrew app for the DS! Got this from http://drunkencoders.com/

Beup v0.2

You can download it from here (along with changelogs/bugs) http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?p=88737#88737

I tried it and it works really nicely, just have some bugs with Authentication sometimes, and the drawing feature doesn't seem to work with Windows Live Messenger.

I just noticed there's a nice working MSN messenger homebrew app for the DS! Got this from http://drunkencoders.com/

Beup v0.2

You can download it from here (along with changelogs/bugs) http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?p=88737#88737

I tried it and it works really nicely, just have some bugs with Authentication sometimes, and the drawing feature doesn't seem to work with Windows Live Messenger.

Can't get past DCHP connection, always says cannot connect :(

Can't wait for a working msn for the DS :)

Oh, one more thing. Will back ups work online? I'm going to Europe for a month, and I'm thinking about picking up a DS Lite and some games, and I would love to be able to not have to worry about loosing any games.

Yep, all backups work online so far. I use mine for the same thing. It's nice to just have all your games on one little cart and not have to lug them arround.

I recieved my Superkey today, so here is a very brief review...

Packaging:

The packaging is actually the nicest I've seen for any kind of flash device. It looks like it is directly from Nintendo and has the same look as the DS Lite package.

p10002154vv.th.jpg

Appearance:

It looks just like a regular DS cart and fits in the console the same as a regular DS cart. Can't ask for more than that.

u5rd.th.jpg

Effectiveness:

I had my DS Fat's firmware flashed, and this works just like flashing the firmware, exept it still shows the Health and Warning screen. It couldn't be any easier to use. Just put it in the DS game slot like a normal DS cart and turn on the DS. It boots into your flashcarts menu and allows you to run the files just like flashing your firmware does.

Booted into the Supercard menu using Superkey

p10002181yx.th.jpg

All the homebrew that I've tried so far and backups run just as they did with flashing the firmware.

Booted into the homebrew app Moonshell using Superkey.

p10002132zi.th.jpg

In closing, the Superkey is the perfect alternative to those that don't want to take the risk of re-flashing thier firmware. It's just as effective as flashing your firmware, well built, and extremely easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a passme/nopass device.

10/10

Superkey > Passcard 3?

They are actually both the exact same thing. Even manufactured in the same factory. The only difference is that the Passcard 3 has an extra splash screen. So for that I would deduct .5%. So Passcard 3=9.5/10, Superkey=10/10. Both are great products though. Can't go wrong with either one. Just the passcard 3 is a few dollars more, so you are essentially paying a few dollars more for an extra spash screen :p

Is there any way to display the little game icons with my M3 SD like those with a G6 can do?

Not that I know of, but M3 just updated thier firmware, not sure if they added that or not. You can ask on thier official forums here.