The Official NDS Homebrew Thread

well i bought a DS Lite last week (bought Mario Kart DS to go with it too). I also bought a SuperCard and a 512MB miniSD card :p

now i need to order my Passcard3 :)

btw, the console is gorgeous :D awesome :D

Here's a pic someone posted on another forum of the "current gen" flashcarts in the Lite so you can see how much they stick out.

tallofthem2qr.jpg

^^ and that's why I'm ordering the EZ-Flash IV Lite. It's compatible enough for my purposes, by all reports, and Yangke Games will have them in stock next week. I've already ordered my 1gb MicroSD card from eBay :)

omg omg omg!! i just ordered a supercard mini sd and superkey from kicktrading!!! can't wait for it to arrive!!!

will be back then to ask what i have to do next to get everything up and running :D

oh, something i was wondering about... is it possible to listen to mp3s on the DS while it's closed? like some function built in the moonshell to "ignore" sleep mode?

Edited by sanghoku

omg omg omg!! i just ordered a supercard mini sd and superkey from kicktrading!!! can't wait for it to arrive!!!

will be back then to ask what i have to do next to get everything up and running :D

oh, something i was wondering about... is it possible to listen to mp3s on the DS while it's closed? like some function built in the moonshell to "ignore" sleep mode?

Actually on DS the software determines what should happen when the lid is closed. I'd imagine it's already setup to play music when closed. I could be wrong though.

Ah, I figured the DS wrote the card and you needed the network chipset to do remotely anything.

Couple more questions...

Whats the best card/cart to get that doesnt cost a ton but comes with a writer?

Can the cards be erased and rewritten to?

Do you have to flash your DS for the cards to work or is there a diff way?

I wanna get into this homebrew thing...

Edited by Adamb10

Yep, MP3's still play in sleep mode. You can set up in the Moonshell config what you want the buttons to do while in sleep mode as well. Let me know when you have it if you want my Moonshell config.

Congrats on your purchase!! :D

Ah, I figured the DS wrote the card and you needed the network chipset to do remotely anything.

Couple more questions...

Whats the best card/cart to get that doesnt cost a ton but comes with a writer?

Can the cards be erased and rewritten to?

Do you have to flash your DS for the cards to work or is there a diff way?

I wanna get into this homebrew thing...

Most carts don't come with a writer. You just buy a seperate USB reader for whatever format of memory you go for (SD or CF). The SD or CF card can be formatted on your PC just like normal. You do not need to flash your DS's firmware. There are Superkey and Passcard 3 that work as a bypass device, they are the same size as a DS cart and just go in your DS's DS slot and allow you to run files from the GBA slot.

So, to sum things up, you need:

*A flashcart (M3, G6, EZ-Flash IV, SuperCard, etc.)

*If you don't get the G6, you need some form of memory card (SD, CF, MiniSD, depending on what sort of flashcart you get.)

*A simple card writer, if your flashcart doesn't include one. They're not expensive, I've got one that writes to any of the card formats out there, was AUS$30.

*A passme device (Superkey, MK4 Mini, Passcard 3, etc. Word to the wise: Some Superkeys and Passcards won't work with the EZ-Flash, it's suggested you use the MK4 or the soon to be released EZ-Pass 3.)

Because of it's underground status, finding exact, correct information on homebrew + emulation on the DS isn't all that easy. Nonetheless, Ji@nBing has done an excellent job with this thread, and it's thanks to him that I've decided to take the plunge and make a purchase. The idea of MSN Messenger on my DS appeals to me too much.

So, to sum things up, you need:

*A flashcart (M3, G6, EZ-Flash IV, SuperCard, etc.)

*If you don't get the G6, you need some form of memory card (SD, CF, MiniSD, depending on what sort of flashcart you get.)

*A simple card writer, if your flashcart doesn't include one. They're not expensive, I've got one that writes to any of the card formats out there, was AUS$30.

*A passme device (Superkey, MK4 Mini, Passcard 3, etc. Word to the wise: Some Superkeys and Passcards won't work with the EZ-Flash, it's suggested you use the MK4 or the soon to be released EZ-Pass 3.)

Because of it's underground status, finding exact, correct information on homebrew + emulation on the DS isn't all that easy. Nonetheless, Ji@nBing has done an excellent job with this thread, and it's thanks to him that I've decided to take the plunge and make a purchase. The idea of MSN Messenger on my DS appeals to me too much.

Yea, it's pretty much thanks to Ji@nBing that I learned anything I know about the DS Homebrew scene...they should make him a moderator in here or something. This thread is obviously popular, and will only grow more so as more and more people begin decide to buy a DS Lite.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the compliment. Don't really know if I should be made a moderator because of one thread though ;) . I do however think the thread should probably be stickied.

There's a pretty comprehensive review of the G6 Lite out. I'm still really tempted by it, but the 1GB MiniSD I have right now for my Supercard is barely enough (actually, it's not enough), so I just don't think I could live with 512MB. Still waiting on the Supercard Lite. Romman (the maker) told me on MSN a few weeks ago it would be ready by the beginning of the month, but it still hasn't shown up yet. M3 Lite is still a no show as well. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear something further on either of these carts. I'm really eagerly awaiting the M3 Lite (got some cash burning in my pocket :p )

Romman (the maker) told me on MSN a few weeks ago it would be ready by the beginning of the month, but it still hasn't shown up yet. M3 Lite is still a no show as well. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear something further on either of these carts. I'm really eagerly awaiting the M3 Lite (got some cash burning in my pocket :p )

I'm very interested to know when this will come out because i have someone in hong kong right now willing to bring back the G6 Lite and while i think i can manage with that size if the M3 Lite comes out i would much rather have that for expandability. I hope a release is very soon because this person won't be in HK for more then a few more weeks.

JiBing: will certainly contact you when it arrives... i already got a mail this morning that my order has been shipped so i hope it won't take too long to get here...

so far i'm loving my ds... i take it with me when going to work, not to earn money playing games, but to have something to do while in traffic... i can do like 3-10 tetris puzzles a day :)

also got brain age, canvas curse, under the knife and lost magic... but i'm more a "try it before you buy it" person, you know ;)

anyway... i'm hoping you could guide me through when im setting up the supercard and stuff... :)

and yes, this topic should be stickied

JiBing: will certainly contact you when it arrives... i already got a mail this morning that my order has been shipped so i hope it won't take too long to get here...

so far i'm loving my ds... i take it with me when going to work, not to earn money playing games, but to have something to do while in traffic... i can do like 3-10 tetris puzzles a day :)

also got brain age, canvas curse, under the knife and lost magic... but i'm more a "try it before you buy it" person, you know ;)

anyway... i'm hoping you could guide me through when im setting up the supercard and stuff... :)

and yes, this topic should be stickied

No prob man. The Supercard is amazingly simple to use. MoonShell can be complicated to set up (there are a ton of options), but I'll help you with it. I've set it up probably a few hundred times working on my LE5 skin :rofl: .

Here's my updated versions of my LE5 skin for Moonshell.

Screenshots:

screenblue2wz.png

screenblack6zk.png

Kit for compiling your own.

Self contained .NDS files of the lasted version of MoonShell (1.32). Just send them to your cart and run them. No setup needed.

The black version looks a little bit "grey" on the Lite with full brightness due to the insane brightness of the Lite. Maybe I'll make a version made just for the Lite with full brightness when I feel motivated and if there is demand for it.

Edited by Ji@nBing

Ji@nBing, just a quick question; does the NDS Lite allow any video playback? :)

Great work with the thread aswell.

Yep, with MoonShell you can play videos. You just have to convert them to .dgp (there is a converter for it). Moonshell has a converter on his site, but the quality isn't that good. Someone else made thier own converter called BatchDGP and the quality from it is awesome. I posted a link to it earlier in the thread.

Hey Ji@nBing, I added u to MSN but u are never online.

Anyways, I was wondering if you got any pics of M3 lite or supercard lite. I know you don't know for sure when they are coming out, but is there any estimations for them to come out in the US or China?

Hey Ji@nBing, I added u to MSN but u are never online.

Anyways, I was wondering if you got any pics of M3 lite or supercard lite. I know you don't know for sure when they are coming out, but is there any estimations for them to come out in the US or China?

Yeah, I don't really use MSN much. Maybe like once every few weeks to keep in touch with friends overseas, but that's it. Not really into the whole "online chatting" thing anymore, hehe.

No pics of either have been released yet. I wish I had them. Judging by the job the M3 team did with the G6 Lite, the M3 Lite will probably look better than the Supercard Lite. Just my guess.

As far as when they will be out, my best guess is sometime this month. Like I said, Romman (the creator of Supercard) told me a few weeks ago that it would be ready for the beginning of this month, but there is still no news or anything. Danny, the M3 creator, has told several people that it will be out this month. Keep in mind that both Romman and Danny take pride in thier products and will not release them until they feel they are perfected. They won't rush it out like the EZ team. So hopefully we will hear something very soon. Believe me, I'm just as eager for news on these as you are.

Wonder if anybody at Neowin's got a G6?

I wanna order one right away.

Check out the reviews of it that I posted earlier. It might be tough to find one right now as most places are sold out of the first batch. If you need something right away, you could always just get a Supercard MiniSD and use it until the Lite version comes out, then sell it and buy the Lite version (that's what I'm doing. Of course I have some spare cash so I don't mind losing a bit on the deal).