Official NHL 2005-2006 Playoff Thread

macro

Yeah I was at the game. Will be at Game 2 also.

Carolina is killing NJ. 4-0 at the end of the 2nd with 2 of those a little over 30 seconds apart.

I'm watching that too, isn't it crazy that in 2 periods Carolina has scored more on NJ than NYR did in 4 games? I thought that was pretty sad and they've repeated that stat at least 3 times since the 4th goal lol

Also I don't understand the occasional chiming in from that woman who just makes a short obvious comment and then isn't even acknowledged. What's the point of that?

bayrider

That woman is Cammy Granato, sister of Tony Granato (NYR, SJ and LA) and former head coach of the Avs. She also won the gold medal in one of the olympics for the US. She offers some on-ice analysys from the bench, much like Pierre McGuire does on other NBC games. I think they cut to her too much though. It was a little excessive.

As for NJ blowing it tonight; remember they havent played in a week. Carolina played a few days ago so NJ is pretty rusty and Carolina has been in fighting mode since game 3 of their series. NJ had it easy with the Rangers. They gotta get back in their groove.

macro

That woman is Cammy Granato, sister of Tony Granato (NYR, SJ and LA) and former head coach of the Avs. She also won the gold medal in one of the olympics for the US. She offers some on-ice analysys from the bench, much like Pierre McGuire does on other NBC games. I think they cut to her too much though. It was a little excessive.

As for NJ blowing it tonight; remember they havent played in a week. Carolina played a few days ago so NJ is pretty rusty and Carolina has been in fighting mode since game 3 of their series. NJ had it easy with the Rangers. They gotta get back in their groove.

Yeah, I know you didn't mean she was the ex-head coach of the Avs but that first sentence of yours is wicked :p But yeah I pretty much realized what she was doing after hearing her the first couple times, still just seemed pointless to have a third commentator, then again I don't usually watch games on NBC anyways

Toastyone

Cha-ching! Carolina off and running :woot: I really can't stand the Devils and we always seem to play them in the playoffs :pinch:

NEVER85

Cha-ching! Carolina off and running :woot: I really can't stand the Devils and we always seem to play them in the playoffs :pinch:

I can't stand Carolina for beating Montreal, but I hate New Jersey even more, so beat them 3 more times, won't you? :p

bayrider

Yeah, I know you didn't mean she was the ex-head coach of the Avs but that first sentence of yours is wicked :p But yeah I pretty much realized what she was doing after hearing her the first couple times, still just seemed pointless to have a third commentator, then again I don't usually watch games on NBC anyways

I thought her banter was excessive too. Its good to have some inside analysis but not every 2 seconds.

BroChaos

brodeur had to have had one of the most frustrating performances i've ever seen. i think the devils scored more on themselves than the hurricanes actually scored, right?

AJerman

Nice sig Toastyone :cool:

rajputwarrior

anaheim is just killing'em again. i bet anaheim sweeps'em

Steffan
anaheim is just killing'em again. i bet anaheim sweeps'em

its ugly. hopefully the avs can get a goal or two before they are swept

bayrider

brodeur had to have had one of the most frustrating performances i've ever seen. i think the devils scored more on themselves than the hurricanes actually scored, right?

He had a bad night. It was also his 34th birthday, os amybe the old age was getting to him ;)

I think its a simple case of not playing in a while for NJ. I think they should have deliberately blown one of the Rangers games so they could have played an extra game or two to have fresh legs for round 2.

NJ has been coasting since the end of the regular season against a weak NY team in Round 1. On top of that, they havent played in a week. Now they face a team who has been fighting and playing playoff hockey in Carolina. Carolina was in playoff mode last night, NJ wasn't. I dont expect it to carry on in game 2.

AJerman

He had a bad night. It was also his 34th birthday, os amybe the old age was getting to him ;)

I think its a simple case of not playing in a while for NJ. I think they should have deliberately blown one of the Rangers games so they could have played an extra game or two to have fresh legs for round 2.

NJ has been coasting since the end of the regular season against a weak NY team in Round 1. On top of that, they havent played in a week. Now they face a team who has been fighting and playing playoff hockey in Carolina. Carolina was in playoff mode last night, NJ wasn't. I dont expect it to carry on in game 2.

I think it's funny how the Montreal fans have moved on from making excuses about why Montreal was losing to now making excuses for New Jersey. How about we not bother and just watch the games eh? I've never heard so many excuses and poor fans as when we played Montreal (not that I didn't know it wasn't already coming). Every Montreal fan thinks they're an expert because they supposedly have grown up around more hockey than the rest of us.

And I'm talking about the Montreal fan base in general. I usually don't talk much hockey here because the majority of Neowin doesn't care, and I really don't post all that much on Neowin anyway, but on the Carolina and Montreal message boards it's just plain pathetic. If that's not your intention then sorry, but I'm tired of hearing everyone in the nation making excuses for other teams every time Carolina wins. It's never just the fact that Carolina is better :rolleyes:

Ahh, and Anaheim just finished wiping up Colorado again. It's pretty much what I expected. Anaheim seems to be the team from the west this year in my opinion. That'll show everyone who wants to rename the team the "Anaheim Ducks".

Steffan

the way that the ducks are playing reminds me of their stanley cup run they made in 2003

ForeverUnknown

The Duck's game was a little slow today, but who cares, we got a 3-0 win. Bryzgalov is on fire! He already broke Giggy's playoff shutout streak of 217min with his 229min. Gotta love that Russian. AH MOTHERLAND!!

I'm really angry that Game 3 and 4 are only on OLN. Well maybe I'll go down to the ESPN Zone at Downtown Disney to watch. Last resort is the trusty radio.

Edited by ForeverUnknown
ForeverUnknown

Oh here's a quick photo before the game ;)

68333116-L.jpg

AJerman

That's a pretty cool pic, here's a similar pic from before our last game...

untitled1copy3dl.jpg

bayrider

The Duck's game was a little slow today, but who cares, we got a 3-0 win. Bryzgalov is on fire! He already broke Giggy's playoff shutout streak of 217min with his 229min. Gotta love that Russian. AH MOTHERLAND!!

I'm really angry that Game 3 and 4 are only on OLN. Well maybe I'll go down to the ESPN Zone at Downtown Disney to watch. Last resort is the trusty radio.

It might be on KDOC (ch 56 on directv) or FSN-W (652 or 653 on directv). Usually the Ducks games on OLN are blacked out for the local broadcast.

ForeverUnknown

Nope there's nothing scheduled for KDOC or FSNW. I've checked... :( It doesn't make sense to me why these games are only on OLN.

bayrider

Dont count them out. Sometimes I'll watch the Ducks on KDOC and the listing info menu will say Perry Mason is on.

ForeverUnknown

I'll check it out on Tuesday. Hope it's on.

Anyway, Sharks beat Edmonton 2-1.

bayrider

Yup. Oilers go down. I know its a bit early to predict, but I think an all California conference finals would be pretty damn cool :D

Joe Thornton has been invisible in the playoffs. So has Cheechoo. Part of the reason Boston traded Thornton is because of his playoff performance, and it looks like things didnt change when he went to SJ. At least Marleau has stepped it up. 8 goals in the playoffs so far. Pretty good :)

Edited by bayrider
ForeverUnknown

Sabers just beat Ottawa 2-1 which puts them 2-0 in the series.

Steffan

The Devils almost won by the same score. Its now going into OT. Staal scored with 3.9 seconds left in the game.

bayrider

What a great day for hockey. A nail biter in Ottawa down till the end.

In the other Eastern Conference game, New Jersey took the lead in the game to go ahead 2-1 with 20 secs left in the game. Carolina came back and tied it up with 3seconds left!! Now its going to OT.

suicide_pact

Can't believe both last minute goals.