Neowin's Official World Cup 2006 Thread

Well mate....sry to disappoint you but Argertina x Ivory Coast is the best match till now(at least the first half).

Very nice and clean game, exactly how a world cup match has to be.

I agree actually. Some very flowing football is being played at the moment. Probably the best so far in the tournament, until of course, we see Brazil.

^ yes, Martyn...great game indeed....too bad Ivory COast reacted too late, i think they could get a 2x2.

About Brasil...hmmm, ill give my opinion once i see them playing in the WC. :-)

I must concur. The ref was not calling anything in favor of Ivory Coast. The only calls they got were the ones miles away from Argentina's net :whistle:

Best game of the tournament so far :yes:

I must concur. The ref was not calling anything in favor of Ivory Coast. The only calls they got were the ones miles away from Argentina's net :whistle:

Best game of the tournament so far :yes:

It's not like the ref was on argentina's side either. 2 goals!! Although I'm not sure on the second one, the first one was a GOAL the size of russia.

Actually, Julius, the evidence on that "goal" is inconclusive. One camera shot (over the goal net) shows it possibly went it, but another view from the corner flag clearly shows that 100% of the ball did not go in. As the rules state, the entire ball has to go in for it to be a goal and since 3/4 of it was in, it didn't count.

Wicked game and the best so far, Ivory coast are abosolutely brilliant and im sure they will be back with scoring goals. As for Argentina they played what everyone would of expected.

i thought for sure that that was a goal. after that one view, down the line, it seemed that the goalkeeper was able to keep it in, if by only the smallest of margins.

Is it me, or are the powerhouse teams not really showing why they are the powerhouses?

Germany - lacked any type of defense

Poland - :whistle:

England - Semi-good first half; where were they in the second half? :unsure:

Sweden - 11 v 10 for 45 minutes and they were pretty much outplayed at points

Argentina - outplayed in every aspect by the Ivory Coast

Is it me, or are the powerhouse teams not really showing why they are the powerhouses?

Germany - lacked any type of defense

Poland - :whistle:

England - Semi-good first half; where were they in the second half? :unsure:

Sweden - 11 v 10 for 45 minutes and they were pretty much outplayed at points

agreed! what's going on!?!

(IRC @ few minutes ago)

[18:27:27] [+Johansson21] bah none sense

[18:27:35] [+Johansson21] americans like sports where steroids are involved

[18:28:31] [@witt] yep

[18:28:34] [@witt] stupid sports

[18:28:43] [@witt] that require lots of hitting and no thinking

You know... This football is not about who is the strongest, it's about intelligence.

Ivory Coast didn't have any smart player, even though they were stronger and faster and whatever. Argentina had the ball all the time, and did make 4 goals; Ivory Coast just did 1 goal, and they had a lot of luck with that one. ;)

You know... This football is not about who is the strongest, it's about intelligence.

Who brought American football into this debate? :huh:

Ivory Coast didn't have any smart player, even though they were stronger and faster and whatever. Argentina had the ball all the time, and did make 4 goals; Ivory Coast just did 1 goal, and they had a lot of luck with that one. ;)

Apparently, all of your stats are wrong :whistle:

post-57338-1149975742.jpg

Since i'm from america, I don't really care who wins the world cup... I just like watching games. I'd hope France Spain or USA would win but heh... that won't happen.

One thing I hope for is though, is that England get eliminated as soon as possible (Y)

I just wanted to quote something about what american people think about sports...

Argentina did 4 goals, even only 2 were counted.

And every stats are different, but why do I have to tell you this, you should know that by now.

And... "Ball possession" is not very objective, you know... :)

I think he means the two goals + the first nullified goal (which from the repeats I saw the ball was in) and the last one, which was off-side.

I know what he meant. Unfortunately, they didn't count for certain reasons so why even bring it up? He also tried to say Argentina had more possession of the ball, even though the Ivory Coast dominated almost the entire game AND had more shots than Argentina.

Argentina had so little possession of the ball, most of the fans in the stadium started to boo them when they got the ball and tried to kill time towards the end. I don't know about you, but the fans realized who deserved to win that match and began going for IC towards the end.

even though the Ivory Coast dominated almost the entire game AND had more shots than Argentina.

Hehe, funny.

Sure is more important to have 10000 of shots to anywhere than just 2 shots and 2 goals...

About the fans I won't even say a word... You don't know too much about football, do you?

Anyway, I suck at english and I don't want to argue with someone from US about football. Have a nice day, and I'm glad that people from your country are starting to watch the best sport in the world. :D

Argentina's 2nd goal was offside. I have it on my DV-R, and no matter how many times i replay it, and not matter how many different angles I watch it from, the goal was offside.

The england match for me died when the ref was just giving it to the other team.

Sure we missed own and the subs were very strange but how can you expect the likes of gerrad and terry to put in awesome tackles when a ref is giving stupid little things like throw ins. 3 bad throws in a match, jeez i've never seen anything like that in my life.

And when Paul Robinson hit the big screen he gave a drop kick to the other team and they were able to get an attack out of it.

Me i would of just made the goal keeper re take it!!!!!!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2 x64; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060519 Minefield/3.0a1 :pinch:

Eh is the page not working or wrong flash?

shouldn't really have any problems with the bbc site, it's about the only site i will use Internet explorer with

Hehe, funny.

Sure is more important to have 10000 of shots to anywhere than just 2 shots and 2 goals...

About the fans I won't even say a word... You don't know too much about football, do you?

Anyway, I suck at english and I don't want to argue with someone from US about football. Have a nice day, and I'm glad that people from your country are starting to watch the best sport in the world. :D

It doesn't suprise me at all that you are over here running your mouth about Argentina. All I have to do is look at where you live and I notice why :rolleyes:

Me not knowing about football? I know more about football then you ever will. I suggest you not post about someone without knowing them. For starters, I reside in the US but was born in Portugal, and in case you didn't know, Portugal lives for soccer and so do I. I have been playing and watching this sport since I was 3.

I would like to congratulate you for your win against a team who never went to a World Cup and that same team made Argentina look like rookies. Good luck against Holland and Serbia, that's all I have to say :whistle:

As a matter of fact, I do hope you pass this group so Portugal could spank you out of the field if they get to meet, which probably won't happen because Argentina is not good enough to go far.