OMG, I got a warning! Now what?

itunes is gay, no one cares

why does one get warned for their opinion on a product? is it the use of the term gay? should the word gheyzor have been used or was it because one should not speak negatively about any apple products?

I suspect im seeing this out of context of course but i thought id ask...

why does one get warned for their opinion on a product? is it the use of the term gay? should the word gheyzor have been used or was it because one should not speak negatively about any apple products?

I suspect im seeing this out of context of course but i thought id ask...

mostly because fanboys gets offensive and they report it

mostly because fanboys gets offensive and they report it

And what offence can they report?

Nike is bollocks? Do i get a warn for that if i offend somone that owns a pair?

If the comment is made in the middle of a forums with the sole purpose of trolling, well naturally yes i would understand that there are ppl that will be short of life content and get attached to things like computers, video games, ashtrays and carpets therefore take offece ot it.

Ive ever been a computer geek so i really dont understand the concept behind "one geek and his mac" and i just dont understand how ppl get offended by things like "itunes is gay"

And what offence can they report?

Nike is bollocks? Do i get a warn for that if i offend somone that owns a pair?

If the comment is made in the middle of a forums with the sole purpose of trolling, well naturally yes i would understand that there are ppl that will be short of life content and get attached to things like computers, video games, ashtrays and carpets therefore take offece ot it.

Ive ever been a computer geek so i really dont understand the concept behind "one geek and his mac" and i just dont understand how ppl get offended by things like "itunes is gay"

All im saying is that im speaking experience since i got warned for offending fanboys inwhich then the mods said it was trolling when it was not, so i guess people get too attached

I got a warn once because of a poorly executed attempt at sarcasm. I PM'd a mod explaining it, the warn was taken away, and left me with better understanding about how I should post in the future. I thought that it was very gracious of the mod, and I'd like to thank him! :D

Here's my 2 cents, if you make a one sentence comment that "this program sucks" it's gonna be considered trolling. But if you say I hate this program because, and give your reasons, it's not trolling, but don't flame anyone either. Make a valid argument and even the "fanboys" can't touch you. I personally can do without iTunes because it requires DOT.net, and everytime I install DOT.net my computer gets very sluggish. I've said that several times b4 here and have no warnings. I guess it's all in how you say it.

If someone starts a serious tech support thread about Opera (for example) and someone else comes by and says "Opera sucks, use MSIE7 (or Safari or whatever) then that is trolling. By not answering the question directly they are moving the thread off-topic and they are flame-baiting. It has the effect of derailing the support thread to the point that the OP may never get his question answered.

p.s. I don't use Opera or MSIE7, they were just examples. It works the same way vice-versa.

If someone starts a serious tech support thread about Opera (for example) and someone else comes by and says "Opera sucks, use MSIE7 (or Safari or whatever) then that is trolling. By not answering the question directly they are moving the thread off-topic and they are flame-baiting. It has the effect of derailing the support thread to the point that the OP may never get his question answered.

ok. thought that might be it, and is fair enough, particularly when its in a thread where somone is looking for tec help ;)

btw..MSIE7 IS GAY. :whistle:

I don't understand what you mean. Breaking the rules doesn't matter if they are staff? Please tell me I read that incorrectly.

The community rules do not care if you are a member, a subscriber or a staffer. The rules apply to everyone. It sets a certain minimum standard that we expect all who use Neowin to maintain.

I was just wondering - how can a moderator find out if a single account is a duplicate account apart from looking at identical birthdates, identical name and the registered email.

I was just wondering - how can a moderator find out if a single account is a duplicate account apart from looking at identical birthdates, identical name and the registered email.

We have our ways, from the standard to the more radical, none of which I feel we should expose. We find every dupe, eventually. Sometimes a person gets a few hundred posts in before we notice, but we always get them. A few of our staffers, I'm not included, are very good at it.

Got something to hide? :shifty:

I think overall the mods do a great job on this board keeping it clean of filth and free of problems.

Invision's ACP is very powerful. You can pretty much do anything there. It makes finding dupes, and lots of other account info very simple. It's pretty much impossible to miss dupes if you know where to look. But then again, the mods/admins need a reason to go looking :)

edit: didn't realize that post was over a week ago... woops :blush:

• 2 weeks later...