NCAA Football Discussion

Because the bowl games pay out money to the schools that accept a bid to the game. For example, Florida and Ohio State get about $14-$17 million dollars just for playing the BCS Championship Game this year. The other major bowls get less than that but it is still in the millions. Why would college presidents give us the cash cow that is the BCS?

Don't get me wrong, I would love for it to die a horrible death but it probably won't happen for a while unfortunately...

Well the BCS added an extra game this year....why couldn't they have a final four with OSU vs USC and Michigan vs Florida (both those bowls would be the Rose Bowl and lets say Sugar Bowl) and then the final game being the championship. I don't get it! It can work and no one loses any money!

People need to realize that each conference in NCAA football differ in strengh. Its a common fact and holds true for any other sport such as the NFL. The problem with college football is that there isn't a playoff system that will weed out the overrated teams in a second round. Do you really think that Louisville vs Wake Forest or Boise St vs OK are truely BCS games? I don't think so and most don't because those teams are way overrated. If they had to play someone like LSU, Michigan, USC or OSU, they would get killed. So why doesn't the BCS put those teams against each other? Easy answer, because it would be a horrible matchup, so those weak teams shouldn't be allowed to play in the BCS.

Really? I bet Urban Meyer and the 2004 Utah Utes would have something to say about that. Just because these programs aren't staple powerhouses doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed a shot at the title. Look what happened to USC this past weekend. A grubby little UCLA team took out the #2 team in the country - and you want to overlook that? How do you know Boise State is overrated?

Talk about overrated: who the hell did Wisconsin beat this year? They only played one ranked team and lost. Yet, they are deserving of being #5...AHEAD of a Boise State team that went undefeated and won their conference? Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring that one out.

Because the bowl games pay out money to the schools that accept a bid to the game. For example, Florida and Ohio State get about $14-$17 million dollars just for playing the BCS Championship Game this year. The other major bowls get less than that but it is still in the millions. Why would college presidents give us the cash cow that is the BCS?

Don't get me wrong, I would love for it to die a horrible death but it probably won't happen for a while unfortunately...

Im pretty sure that the teams split the money with the rest of the conference, which is why they are such a big deal. Im pretty sure thats a reason they only have 2 teams per confernce, becuase nearly all the money would be going to the same two conferences every year.

BUT

of course notre dame dosnt have to share their money with anyone.

How do you know Boise State is overrated?

The fact that they didn't play any ranked teams this year. They simply have no point of reference. Did you know that I am the fastest 500m runner in the world? I am really but the only people I have run against are 5th graders so I think I'm pretty good because I destroyed them. See what I mean :)

Talk about overrated: who the hell did Wisconsin beat this year? They only played one ranked team and lost. Yet, they are deserving of being #5...AHEAD of a Boise State team that went undefeated and won their conference? Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring that one out.

Wisconsin didn't get a great bowl game and it just shows that the ranking system is flawed because of them and Auburn. And I agree because if Wisconsin had played USC they most likely would have gotten destroyed like they did against Michigan. Now how is this any different than Notre Dame? It isn't and its the lame rules of the BCS that cause this problem because ND paid money to get a rule specific for them and they also stop 3 teams from being in BCS bowls because its all about money, not WHO IS GOOD OR NOT!

it would've been very close had people voted the best teams in order, not who they wanted to see in the national championship game.

Voting Florida 2nd because you "don't want to see a rematch" or because you "don't think a non-conference champ should make it to the championship game" is BCS. That simple.

Michigan now has no shot at the championship or of being #1 in either poll.

This is too easy of an argument....

Schedules are made a few years in advanced and the Big 10 has to let each team play every team since almost everyone in the conference has been good or semi-good in the past 6 years. Such teams as Michigan St, Northwesten, and even Illinois have had decent seasons in the past few years. Even teams such as PSU and Michigan have had weak seasons in the past years so who knew that. Every team gets to avoid two teams in the Big Ten and sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't.

You're agument doesn't hold any water especially because your a fan of the Big East that only has 8 teams. And I think its nice to see Rutgers, Louisville and WVU play each other this year but who knew that Rutgers would even be ranked. Its shear luck to play teams in your conference that are not good or are good that year but OOC games are what drives me insane about most teams. The SEC didn't play one team outside their conference that was ranked. At least the Big Ten beat ND and Texas. I think you can ask almost anyone in sports journalism that the Big East is not a good football conference anymore since it has lost BC, VT and Miami. Therefore you will probably see WVU or an overrated Louisville win that conference year in and year out. If you put someone like Ohio State or even Iowa in that conference, they would easily get 10 wins a year.

People need to realize that each conference in NCAA football differ in strengh. Its a common fact and holds true for any other sport such as the NFL. The problem with college football is that there isn't a playoff system that will weed out the overrated teams in a second round. Do you really think that Louisville vs Wake Forest or Boise St vs OK are truely BCS games? I don't think so and most don't because those teams are way overrated. If they had to play someone like LSU, Michigan, USC or OSU, they would get killed. So why doesn't the BCS put those teams against each other? Easy answer, because it would be a horrible matchup, so those weak teams shouldn't be allowed to play in the BCS.

Like I said before, the BCS reminds me of little league tee-ball. "Its alright little Johnny, just because you can't hit the ball or catch doesn't mean that we wont let you play. We want everyone to get a chance to have some fun."

Are you serious? VT and Miami both peaked in the Big East and BC was finally starting to regain some prominence. Now look at VT and UM. UM is 6-6 and VT couldn't even get past Wake Forest or Clemson (who mind you couldn't even score a TD in their conference championship game!). USF, RU, UL, and WVU are all very legitimate teams and I see the BE going at least 4-1 this bowl season, depending on how Cinci does with their new coach.

If Ohio State was in the Big East, it would be interesting. Iowa? Please, get a clue. Thats one of the more ridiculous things I've read on here lately. Iowa was severely overrated at the beginning of the season, just like ND, FSU, Oregon, UM, etc.

BCS games this year are weak. Wake Forest being in the BCS is a joke, as well as Boise State. Notre Dame has no reason to be in there either. The only good games are USC/UM and tOSU/UF. All the others will be blowouts.

I'm confused about how Notre Dame got a BCS bid. BroChaos sent me this link: http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility . Rule #4 says that ND will get an automatic BCS bowl game if they finish in the top 8, which they didn't (they are #11). So how can the BCS pass on teams like Wisconsin and Auburn and give it to ND?

From what I heard on TV about Boise State a couple weeks was that if they finished ahead of the #1 team of a major conference they would get a bowl bid. I imagine that Notre Dame which is not a member of a conference would get the same treatment and since they did finish ahead (I think...I haven't looked at the final standings) of say...the #1 team in the ACC, they should get an automatic bid.

My idea for new post season college football:

Get all the bowls together and have them bid...take the 3 top bidders and put them on contract for say...6 years. Top bidder gets the national title game 3 years, second bidder gets title 2 years, and 3rd gets 1 National title game. When the bowl is not hosting the National title game they will get to host the semifinal game in a tournament style setup. All the nonwinning bidding bows will have the ability to host quarterfinals and maybe even a round before the quarterfinals if they want to open the post season to more teams...

This gives us our tournament we all want and really will rake in lots of money for both the NCAA and the sponsors of the bowls.

To give us a break from this BCS lovefest I bring you the story of Chris Rainey. This story personifies the old saying that loose lips sinks ships.

Then there are the rewards that come with recognition. Rainey said a local clothing vendor recently gave him a bag full of sports jerseys and jewelry in exchange for his autograph. Another time, an elderly woman approached him at a restaurant, gave him a hug and handed him a wad of cash.

''I didn't even count it,'' Rainey said. ``When I walk around, people are buying me food, giving me money. I'm like, damn, I'm glad I'm Chris Rainey. It's real nice to be me.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...46/16165246.htm

follow ups

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16171626.htm

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/c...nt-play-friday/

So far he has been cleared by the FHSAA, but the NCAA hasn't stepped up yet.

Coach news

Rich Rodriguez has agreed with Alabama to be their next coach. Also Miami will name Randy Shannon their next coach.

The Heisman candidates have been announced. They are Darren McFadden, Troy Smith, and Brady Quinn.

Rodriguez has not agreed as of 1:00AM EST to any offers by Alabama, although he is "considering" it.

In other news, Quinn won the Maxwell award for best player in the country (Smith would've won if it wasn't for his Heisman trophy this Saturday) and Coach of the Year goes to Schiano of Rutgers.

Rodriguez has not agreed as of 1:00AM EST to any offers by Alabama, although he is "considering" it.

In other news, Quinn won the Maxwell award for best player in the country (Smith would've won if it wasn't for his Heisman trophy this Saturday) and Coach of the Year goes to Schiano of Rutgers.

While day-long negotiations in Tuscaloosa between the two sides did not conclude with an agreement in writing, representatives of both sides said that the university will deliver a contract to Rodriguez on Friday morning.

Rodriguez spent the day in Jacksonville, Fla., where he participated in a press conference to promote the Toyota Gator Bowl between the Mountaineers and Georgia Tech on Jan. 1.

Rodriguez returned to Morgantown, W.Va., on Thursday night and will have the contract faxed to him on Friday morning.

So he'll have it tomorrow. He's told both fans, family, and his team that he is not leaving. If he leaves, it leaves him with no credibility in his word. Or he could be waiting for the contract to renegotiate his contract w/WVU. After all, they agreed to do the facility upgrades he asked for, now he just needs a raise.

Are you serious? VT and Miami both peaked in the Big East and BC was finally starting to regain some prominence. Now look at VT and UM. UM is 6-6 and VT couldn't even get past Wake Forest or Clemson (who mind you couldn't even score a TD in their conference championship game!).

?? VT destroyed Clemson and Wake Forest, and his the highest ranked ACC team at #13.

Looks like the Big East is here to stay in terms of quality coaches.

Rodriguez declines Alabama's offer, even though they were offering double what he is getting paid now. Bobby Petrino remains at Louisville after a few years of other big teams trying to hire him and last but not least, Schiano declines Miami's offer and remains with Rutgers.

The Big East officially has some credibility. I tip my hat to these three coaches for ignoring the money and prestige of coaching legendary teams to remain with the teams they built from scratch allowing them to compete with the "big" teams in the coming years.

I don't think Rodriguez ignored the money per se. He realized by making the comments that he previously made (to his family, friends, and team), there was no way in hell he could leave. His credibility would've been shot. Looks like Alabama is in dire straits now.

Hopefully, we'll get to see those Big East teams step up and put some of the big programs on their schedule.

Eh, Alabama is in trouble in the coaching department b/c their boosters are too involved. And I like that Greg Schiano stayed at Rutgers, but he'll be at Penn State when JoePa retires... he's just being patient.

The Alabama situation sounds like 3 years ago, when they settled on Mike Shula, after Mike Price had his few moments of fame.

Glad that Rodriguez decided to stay at WVU. After saying that he would stay and deciding to leave would have left a bad taste in my mouth. Also that would mean that Alabama would have a decent coach. We wouldn't want that expecially considering they are coming off probation.

Alabama needs to take a few steps back and realize that they are not on top anymore. This isnt 1975, their "USC" type chamionships dont matter anymore, and bear bryant died like 20 some years ago. The need to quit trying to act like they are better, they have only won two titles outright. Yale has won probably close to 20 but that was a long time ago, and does not matter.

Speaking of Alabama....

Was watching ESPN countdown the biggest NCAA rivalries....Alabama/Auburn was #1. ermmmm.....

I didn't even know they played each other. :huh:

Most SEC teams play each other every season...

I understand that....the point of my post was merely sarcastic in nature....if it's such a huge rivalry, then how come you never hear much about it?

Oh sorry... :blush: just woke up a little bit ago. ;)

I understand that....the point of my post was merely sarcastic in nature....if it's such a huge rivalry, then how come you never hear much about it?

You're not in the South. That's my best guess.

Ha, yeah the Auburn/Alabama rivalry is a pretty big deal. They didn't play each other for like 40 years because they hate each other so much.

So he'll have it tomorrow. He's told both fans, family, and his team that he is not leaving. If he leaves, it leaves him with no credibility in his word. Or he could be waiting for the contract to renegotiate his contract w/WVU. After all, they agreed to do the facility upgrades he asked for, now he just needs a raise.

exactly. It would've been a huge black eye had he left after telling everyone he was staying for sure. But several sources did report initially that he was leaving. Then they did a 180 a day later...