NCAA Football Discussion

They will not and refuse to scrap the BCS because that will only prove to us that the BCS is a screwed up system and it will only tell those teams (Auburn) that were screwed by it that they did screw them over. In all honesty, I believe the BCS is a good thing but they need to fix the system in order for it to work, not adding tweaks here and there.

They should add a Strength of Schedule parameter in the BCS computers along with quality wins at home/away in order to formulate a good ranking of those teams. It is absolutely shameful that we have a team in USC that is ranked over a much better Michigan and Florida team and even more disgraceful when you have another team that goes undefeated but has 0 shot to play for the championship, though I do understand Boise St. didn't have a tough schedule compared to others. The one thing the BCS did well last year was adding another BCS bowl game, giving Boise St. what they deserved to have last year: a BCS bowl game.

Having said that, I do hope USC loses to UCLA next weekend so it shows how screwed up the BCS is when you have Florida and Michigan sitting as the two contenders and the BCS screws over the SEC for what, the 100th time?

Strength of Schedule

i kinda agree, but if a team wins there confs. and have 3 losese they have no right to pass a unbeaten team or even a 1 lost , im sorry to many teams but if you dont win you dont deserve to play in a bcs bowl game. a Strength of Schedule will only lead to teams with 2 loses(lets say a SEC team) to pass (lets say a pac 10 team that has 1 lost) witch isnt far. if you want to get in a chapionship game dont lose, its hard but still. all confs. are hard to win. pac 10 teams are faster then most confs. , USC is the fastest team out there hands down.

maybe a point system for Strength of Schedule.

team who lost by 2 on the road to a (maybe) good Oregon State team.

well oregon st. beat oregon last week, they will be in the top 25 if they beat #24 Hawaii

Edited by rap4life

Yeah no kidding... Oregon State might be in the top 25 if they beat Hawaii? Oh yeah, Ohio State has been #1 all season long. Don't even say those one losses are close.

And oh yeah the Pac 10 is so awesome that they have two teams in the top 25?

i hate people who talk $#it about USC and the Pac-10

pac-10 non Conf. games 19-5

Yeah? And I hate the love affair that voters have with west coast teams. I don't talk "$#it", I just say it how I see it, USC IS NOT a #2 team.

The best team in college is nebraska cornhuskers. I hope usc loses next week. sorry they beat my team, so i cant root for them

Nebraska huh? You're going down... again :devil:

I freakin hate the BCS and how they punish teams like Michigan for losing to #1 Ohio State. I also can't figure out how anyone can take Boise St or Rutgers to be good teams when they haven't played anyone good themselves. Plus how can they actually give Notre Dame a BCS game when they played really only two ranked teams and got destroyed by both. They are exactly the same team as Penn State who lost to 4 top ten teams. makes no sense!

It just seems that the BCS is kinda like little league tee-ball where they want everyone to get a chance to play no matter how bad they really are.

Go UCLA! Fix the problem the BCS put us in!

Couldn't have said it any better :p

also can't figure out how anyone can take Boise St or Rutgers to be good teams when they haven't played anyone good themselves.

Again, its not their fault they play teams that aren't good. If you look a few pages back, I left a link from ESPN that explains how teams in the ACC, SEC, and Big 10 do not want to schedule Louisville to play them until around 2008. Since the Big East teams' offers are not being accepted by big schools in other conferences, they have to play the teams they can schedule to play.

strength of schedule is factored in. i know sagarin's poll is used. unfortunately, his rankings are so screwed up its not even funny. this week he has the pac as the #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9 and #11 toughest schedules. no way in heck.

one thing that would help is getting rid of preseason polls, and not having an official poll until like week 3 or 4. this sec bias needs to stop too. the best OOC win for the ENTIRE conference is against cal. cal is average at best. you can't say that the sec is so good and beats up on each other if you don't have a point of reference. all you need is a couple schools to schedule and beat some decent 1-A teams, and i will be convinced. crushing 1-aa oppenents shouldn't even be allowed. but i'm glad that florida is being punished for it.

oh, you also need to throw out ND's BS agreement. they should be the same as any of the other non-bcs teams. nd getting away with playing teams like army, navy, air force, stanford and north carolina is a joke.

Edited by BroChaos

Notre Dame, if I am not mistaken, will not get an automatic bid to the BCS from next year on if they place at least 8th.

Actually i think all they need to do is get 9 wins, and are automatically in, or something stupid like that which is a joke. Now other teams that deserve a BCS game get to see a team like notre dame get beat badly in a bowl game for the 15th straight year, just becuase they are notre dame. None of the other independents get in the BCS like that. If i was notre dame i would decline it, and save the embarrassment of getting beat by bosie state.

If navy hadnt lost to tulsa this year by 1 point, they wouldnt have gotten in even though they have 9 wins, but of course notre dame does.

Edit: nevermind Navy WILL have 9 wins, and probably will go to the San Diego County Credit Union Poinseta Bowl again.

Whatever the case may be, I know for a fact the deal between Notre Dame and the BCS was expiring and they had to play their way into the BCS like every other team. Of course, when this will expire I cannot recall.

one thing that would help is getting rid of preseason polls, and not having an official poll until like week 3 or 4. this sec bias needs to stop too. the best OOC win for the ENTIRE conference is against cal. cal is average at best. you can't say that the sec is so good and beats up on each other if you don't have a point of reference. all you need is a couple schools to schedule and beat some decent 1-A teams, and i will be convinced. crushing 1-aa oppenents shouldn't even be allowed. but i'm glad that florida is being punished for it.

Someone is forgetting the SEC winning all the rivalry games against Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Florida State. Granted, FSU sucks even though they have great athletes. Oh yeah and LSU destroyed an Arizona team that beat Cal and Oregon in the Wack10. Michigan is an excellent team and I was hoping for a rematch against Ohio State, but yeah, the pollsters vote for matchups, not the quality of the team.

And strength of schedule is factored into each of the computer rankings, but it used to be an actual component of the BCS, like the quality wins. Now its just watered down with 2/3rd polls... the polls that dont know the difference between a loss to Ohio State and Oregon State apparently. And the other 1/3 is secret wacky math.

Didn't those teams already play and wasn't a clear winner decided? Why isn't anybody talking about Wisconsin having a shot at OSU since they only have one loss? Michigan alreay had their shot somebody else should get a chance. The two best teams don't necassarily get to play for the NC in basketball.

Wisconsin?? Please.

The basketball tournament in NCAA is designed so the best two teams play each other...so yes, the best teams play each other.

The whole point of the BCS system is to get the two best teams to play each other for the national championship....not to make sure everyone has a chance. See: Boise State.

Think of the regular season as your playoff then. Don't lose a game and you'll be in the championship game. Fair enough?

No, thats wrong. What about 04 when Auburn went undefeated? What about this year when Boise State goes undefeated? What about 03 when LSU OU and USC all had 1 loss? Sometime soon we'll have 4 big conference teams go undefeated (its even possible for 2 teams from the Big 10 to do it) and then where will we be?

College Football is such a joke. I agree with the person here that said that they should eliminate the prerankings and not rank anyone until the 3rd or 4th week. Teams like Iowa or Miami should not have been placed that high and it ruins other teams chances of getting into the top 5 simply becasue they started the year unranked.

Wisconsin?? Please.

The basketball tournament in NCAA is designed so the best two teams play each other...so yes, the best teams play each other.

The whole point of the BCS system is to get the two best teams to play each other for the national championship....not to make sure everyone has a chance. See: Boise State.

I agree with on BSU. I don't give teams in conferences like the WAC the same respect in regards to the MNC as the other BCS conferences. The other teams in those conferences just don't give consistent challenges to the top teams.

Actually you missed my point. The tournament rewards the two hottest teams during the tournament. There have been instances where the consensus number one during the regular season was knocked out early in the tournament.

I don't really have any sympathy for teams that don't win their conferences. I didn't think either Nebraska or Oklahoma deserved to be in the BCS championship games in those years they went. Why should Michigan be any different? They had their chance.

No, thats wrong. What about 04 when Auburn went undefeated? What about this year when Boise State goes undefeated? What about 03 when LSU OU and USC all had 1 loss? Sometime soon we'll have 4 big conference teams go undefeated (its even possible for 2 teams from the Big 10 to do it) and then where will we be?

This is where you take strength of schedule, the program's prestige, quality w/l into consideration. Boise does not deserve a title shot because of this. USC/Michigan/UF/UL/ETC.. deserve a chance before them. Way before.

I guess we will find out by tomorrow night who will play OSU. That is unless UCLA pulls off an upset :D

I love it how there is no debate if USC won. I really think that people would rather see USC vs Michigan and then the winner play OSU for the championship. Just call the first match up the Sugar Bowl and kick out crappy teams like Wake Forest and Notre Dame

Here's a thing...what if USC wins really ugly tomorrow? chance for them to slip?

It still wont matter because Michigan doesnt even play today so they have nothing to compare USC to. Once again proves why college football is a joke because they punish teams like Michigan or Wisconsin for not playing this weekend or last weekend. I still can't figure out why every team in college football doesn't play the same amount of games

oh, you also need to throw out ND's BS agreement. they should be the same as any of the other non-bcs teams. nd getting away with playing teams like army, navy, air force, stanford and north carolina is a joke.

Do you have a news article or a source on their agreement? I would love to read it and laugh. Just another reason why ND football cannot be taken seriously.