NCAA Football Discussion

The only reason Michigan was in the game at the end was Ohio State started turning the ball over. 2 bad snaps and a deflected pass int. 10 points off turnovers and the one Ohio State drive when they fumbled the snap they had 3rd and 1 inside the Michigan 30. Thats a 13 point swing.

Ohio State 45 Michigan 29 ..... is more how the game felt.

If they play again it wont be as close.

The only reason Michigan was in the game at the end was Ohio State started turning the ball over. 2 bad snaps and a deflected pass int. 10 points off turnovers and the one Ohio State drive when they fumbled the snap they had 3rd and 1 inside the Michigan 30. Thats a 13 point swing.

Just like Michigan could have won it had Crable held up and not hit Smith on that 3rd and 15 play.

Like it or not, Saturday's game showed that Ohio State and Michigan aren't that far off and are obviously the two best teams in the nation. If my memory serves me correctly, the two teams who face off in the championship game are suppose to be the two best teams, and not the first and second best who isn't Michigan. If we don't see a rematch come January 8th, the system is flawed and in need of immediate repair.

Umm ok, i guess you really do want to bring up common opponents

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid=200609160033

Ouch!!! Touche! ;)

Just like Michigan could have won it had Crable held up and not hit Smith on that 3rd and 15 play.

Like it or not, Saturday's game showed that Ohio State and Michigan aren't that far off and are obviously the two best teams in the nation. If my memory serves me correctly, the two teams who face off in the championship game are suppose to be the two best teams, and not the first and second best who isn't Michigan. If we don't see a rematch come January 8th, the system is flawed and in need of immediate repair.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if it didn't happen, doesn't mean Michigan would have won. They still could have faltered somewhere along the way.

you CANNOT bring up what ifs for osu if you do not bring them up for michigan as well. what if datesh didn't fumble the snaps? what if henne hit mario when he burned that corner? what if crable didn't hit smith with the helmet? what if we stopped one of the long running plays? there are a lot of what ifs, a lot of big plays, and they go BOTH ways. it's all part of the game, and it went down to the wire.

The whole BCS is bull****.

USC doesn't deserve it over Florida. No way, no how. Michigan and ND shouldn't even be in the discussion.

I dont want michigan in it either

BUT

How can you say flordia who strugles to beat any team is better when michigans only loss is to the the #1 team, and also beat two teams that are in the BCS top 10. You could at least explain why.

Because he's a Florida fan, and believes a 62-0 win over a Division I-AA school is impressive.

Or the fact that Florida has only one loss and it was not a blowout either. Winning is winning.. style points are retarded and anti-sportsmanship. I don't want to see a rematch in the title game anyways.

Rutgers vs OSU? I'm a Big East fan, but c'mon jersey.. tOSU would annihilate the Rutgers. tOSU is advertised better than they are imo, but until someone makes them trail for an extended period of time, it won't matter what I think. USC is the only one loss team that I think can beat tOSO or at least give them a game. I don't think Michigan will get a second good game.

I don't even really care about the BCS now that WVU royally screwed their chances. The ball can only bounce your way so many times.. and when its not you have to play to earn the W. They just didn't do that today.

man, like every year. bcs is a joke. i just hope some of the top teams lose next week so Boise St. can move up, this is what the NCAA Football needs. so we can see a playoff in 5 years or so.

So today i was looking at the BCS rankings, and was expecting ohio state to be #1 accross the board like last week. But they wernt, which i dont really care, because it was just one computer poll which dosnt really matter, and ohio state is going to the title game anyways. So then i looked up the poll just to see who it was, and this stuff has to be a joke.

http://www.colleyrankings.com/

thats the offical site, i had no idea geocities was part of the BCS.

man, like every year. bcs is a joke. i just hope some of the top teams lose next week so Boise St. can move up, this is what the NCAA Football needs. so we can see a playoff in 5 years or so.

It won't matter whether Boise St. moves up the rankings. They are pretty much going to the Fiesta Bowl.

Having said that, if Florida does beat Arkansas next weekend, then I believe Florida deserves to play in the BCS Championship. We can talk about close games all we want but Florida has had close games because of the way they play their games and their respect towards their opponents. Take for example this weekend when Meyer was deciding to score a TD when they had the ball inside the 10 with less than 30 seconds to go but he decided to kneel it all the way.

Having said that, this article explains it very well: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor...mp;lid=tab2pos2

Now...lets look at the difficulty of games USC and Florida had this season.

Florida: Tennesee, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, S. Carolina, Florida St., and Arkansas next weekend.

USC: Arkansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Cal, Notre Dame

Sounds to me like Florida had a much tougher schedule and yet they only lost once against all those tough, good teams.

Edited by L3thal

Can someple PLEASE explain to me WHY OH WHY do the polls ALWAYS favor USC? We (Gators) have more wins than they do and have a tougher schedule and yet the points in the polls show a huge difference between USC and FL. I've never understood why a team like USC always gets favored over everyone else!

L3thal, thanks for the vote of confidence! But as always, the SEC gets screwed out of the BCS championship.

Oh, I forgot to mention USC lost to a then unranked Oregon St. team and Florida's lost came to...Auburn :whistle:

To make things better, what's more impressive? A home win by USC over Notre Dame by 20 points or a road win by Michigan over Notre Dame by 26?

What's worse? A 2-point loss to an unranked Oregon St. team or a 3-point loss to Ohio St?

Debate :whistle:

I think the reason they always get favored in the polls is becuase people sometimes like to pretend that they won back to back championship games. Even though they only won ONE, and that was to a team that shouldnt have ever been there to begin with.

But other then that, i am praying to god notre dame some how gets an undeserved BCS bid again, and get to play Bosie State in the fiesta bowl, and get blown out like they seem to do in every big game they play in. That would make this one of the best seasons even if ohio states loses and go 1-1 in the michigan/bcs games.

Why all the guff over actually getting to the BCS title game? Can't a team be BCS number 3 and win a Rose Bowl and have a National Championship bestowed upon it?

So today i was looking at the BCS rankings, and was expecting ohio state to be #1 accross the board like last week. But they wernt, which i dont really care, because it was just one computer poll which dosnt really matter, and ohio state is going to the title game anyways. So then i looked up the poll just to see who it was, and this stuff has to be a joke.

http://www.colleyrankings.com/

thats the offical site, i had no idea geocities was part of the BCS.

Man... what the hell?

Man... what the hell?

Did you check out his "College Football Experience"

This is why nobody likes these computer polls. I can see what people see in them, because they are based only on facts, but sometimes that dosnt mean anything. Yeah bosie state is a good team, but they shouldnt be in the top 10, maybe someday(gonzaga basketball), but until then they belong with the BYU's and TCU's of the past.

College basketball though this might make sense, becuase literly anyone can beat anyone in that, but in football the top teams could have their worst day against a lower team, and still win big.

Edited by reidtheweed01

Put Michigan's loss game 1, and we wouldn't be having this conversation. That's the major flaw with the BCS...a loss at the end of the season screws you.....even if it's a 3 point loss on the road to the all year #1 team.

Go figure.

No, thats a problem with the polls... not the BCS. That was one of the things the BCS originally addressed, that a team who lost late is penalized over a team who lost early. Then the system gets changed every year because it doesn't reflect the knee-jerk reactions by the pollsters.

In 03, when Oklahoma lost their conference championship game, but still had played the best overall season, they wound up still #1 in the BCS, which correctly rewarded them for having played a great season, gone through a tough schedule, and beaten quality teams. Well, USC lost out under those rules and had a fake plastic national championship bestowed upon them, not even having to actually earn it; and the BCS formula was changed again to include the polls to a higher degree and completely strip out the strength of schedule and quality wins.

So, now you have a team who went on the road and lost by 3 to the #1 team, and another team who lost by 2 on the road to a (maybe) good Oregon State team. Their common opponent, Notre Dame, was destroyed in South Bend by Michigan, and was destroyed in Pasadena by USC. Back in the olden days (not 1 or 2 years ago), you could use that as a measuring stick. I don't see why we don't just all go back to the polls and scrap the BCS all together.