UEFA Champions League

UEFA Champions League  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Champions League 2007/2008?

• Barcelona
    • Liverpool
    • AC Milan
    • Inter Milan
    • Arsenal
    • Man Utd
    • Real Madrid
    • Chelsea
    • Other
  2. 2. Who will be the Top Scorer?

• Didier Drogba
    • Samuel Eto'o
    • Thierry Henry
    • Kaka
    • Fernando Morientes
    • Herman Crespo
    • Adriano
    • Peter Crouch
    • Others

possibly refering to the hillsborough and heysel disasters, though i don't know why. liverpool fans are known around the world to be very "passionate", but i think the same can be said about all english team supporters.

Just to be clear on Hillsborough and Heysel.

The Lord Justice Taylor report proved that the Hillsborough Disaster was down to poor police crowd trafficing and organisation. The police let a lot more people into the Lepping's Lane end of the ground that it could hold; hence the crush that killed 96 reds.

As for Heysel. The Juventus and Liverpool fans where seated in the same stand of a crumbling stadium, seperated only by chicken wire I believe. Everyone knows the Italian fans are a somewhat violent bunch (I am not stereotyping, countless incidents in the past, and just look back to last season when Man Utd fans were knifed by Roma fans...). Anyway, Juventus fans began throwing missles at Liverpool fans which causes us to react and "charge" at the Juventus fans, and the resulting chaos caused part of the stadium to collapse. Heysel was again down to poor organisation (sitting Juventus and Liverpool fans together etc) and an old and crumbling stadium.

Hillsborough more so did a lot for football. It took 96 people to die before anyone realised that safety in football is actually important, and since then almost all football stadiums are seated.

Gaillard is a **** (I think he apologised afterwards for his comments). That was a blatant attempt by UEFA to pass the blame onto someone else and not themselves. 17,000 tickets where allocated to Liverpool fans, which is not many considering the stadium help around 60,000 - 70,000 people is it? There where also forged tickets in existance on the black market, and many fans bought them when they where in Athens to support their team. The forged tickets allowed people to sneak into the stadium, and some Liverpool fans with valid tickets were unable to see the game because of this.

Every football team has some ***** for fans, it is unavoidable. Some of our fans behaviour put shame on our club in Athens, but it all could have been prevented if you UEFA acted properly.

Anyway, this is a pretty good article that sums up the views of most...

Sports minister Richard Caborn has backed Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry after a Uefa report criticised the behaviour of Liverpool fans.

European football's governing body said Reds fans had been involved in more incidents than any other in Europe.

But Parry said: "The shortcomings in the management of the situation in Athens were apparent to anyone there."

And Caborn said: "Uefa must stop playing the blame game and stop pointing fingers at people."

Interview: Uefa spokesman William Gaillard

Interview: Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard

Ticketless fans caused trouble at May's Champions League final against AC Milan in Athens, although Liverpool officials and fans criticised security at the game.

Uefa spokesman William Gaillard said the problems in Greece were typical of the behaviour of some Liverpool supporters during the past four years.

Spokesman William Gaillard said: "That was just the latest example. What other fans steal tickets from fellow fans or from the hands of children?"

But Parry hit back, saying: "What is most surprising about the latest comments from Mr Gaillard is that on the eve of the final, he quite rightly commented that Liverpool supporters 'have a tradition of good behaviour'.

You must ask yourself why at the Champions League, with the same conditions, there was no trouble with the Milan fans - only the Liverpool fans

Uefa spokesman William Gaillard

"Let's not forget that these same supporters who Mr Gaillard is claiming are now the worst in Europe were praised by Uefa President Michel Platini after our semi-final victory against Chelsea only last month.

"They were commended for their behaviour in Istanbul in 2005 and actually honoured by Uefa at a gala dinner in Monte Carlo in 2001 as joint Supporters of the Years with Alves after the Uefa Cup final."

Caborn, who will be presented with Uefa's report on Tuesday, said: "This is about finding solutions, not looking back and saying what has happened but more about how to stop this happening in the future.

"I have given this message to Rick Parry this morning in a phone call and I will be giving the very same message to Michel Platini when I see him on Tuesday."

In the report, Uefa paints a damning picture of the Anfield club's supporters' behaviour at the Champions League final.

Gaillard added: "We know what happened in Athens, and Liverpool fans were the cause of most of the trouble there.

"There have been 25 incidents involving Liverpool fans away from home since 2003 and these are in the report - most teams' supporters do not cause any trouble at all."

Liverpool have sent their own report to Uefa complaining about lax security measures at the final.

Many supporters with forged tickets or no tickets at all managed to gain access to the stadium.

That led to fans with legitimate tickets being denied entry to the ground.

Disorder broke out before kick-off when fans were held back because of congestion outside the ground.

Police told fans going through the penultimate checkpoint to slow down or even stop moving, then riot police formed a line to stop other fans joining queues to move through the checkpoint.

Former Conservative leader and Liverpool fan Michael Howard was at the game and said ticket checks at the stadium were "a joke".

How can Uefa choose a football ground without a turnstile - just a metal gate that opens - its just not football is it?"

Liverpool fanzine editor Andy Knott

Fans were already aggrieved over Uefa's ticket allocation for the Champions League final, with the governing body making 17,000 tickets available to each club for a stadium that had a capacity of 63,000.

Of those tickets, Liverpool were able to make just 11,000 available to fans because of obligations to sponsors and former players.

But Gaillard said: "You must ask yourself why at the same match, with the same conditions, there was no trouble with the Milan fans - only the Liverpool fans."

But the city of Liverpool hit back at Uefa's criticism.

Lord Mayor Paul Clark was quoted in the Liverpool Daily Post as saying: "Uefa appear to be trying to avoid the blame for the disorganisation of the final."

Les Lawson, spokesman for the official LFC supporters' club, said: "This is typical of Uefa. Rather than look at their own shortcomings, they want to shove the blame somewhere else.

"The fact they are not willing to stand up and take responsibility is worrying for fans, because that means they will never learn from their mistakes."

Council leader Warren Bradley said: "Uefa is dragging Liverpool's name through the mud to deflect attention from themselves.

"There should be a full and appropriate investigation. There is very little information about what actually went wrong.

"It was only a small minority who caused problems but the people at the top of Uefa think they have the divine right to criticise people."

Phil Hammond, of the Hillsborough Justice Support Group, added: "We condemn the behaviour of some fans, but it was not helped by the way the police acted, they made it worse. Uefa are not justified in making these comments."

Andy Knott from the Liverpool fanzine Red All Over told BBC Radio Five Live that both the fans and the authorities were to blame for what happened in Europe this season.

606: DEBATE

What are your thoughts on the Uefa report?

He said: "It's a culmination of everything. The Liverpool fans weren't innocent and a lot of them have got to have a look at themselves and take that into account.

"But at the same time Uefa have got to look at it and instead of trying to give token games to people with big stadiums, they've got to do it in a proper way.

"I mean how you can have a football ground without a turnstile - where it's just a metal gate that opens and you walk through - its just not football is it?"

Ahead of the final in Athens, Uefa president Michel Platini said: "I am convinced that both Liverpool and Milan fans will contribute to making the Athens final a landmark in festive behaviour.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank and praise the fans who have attended the semi-finals for creating such a wonderful atmosphere at the matches.

"They have contributed in a positive manner to making the semi-finals such an exciting spectacle."

Adebayor, however, caused much amusement among the Merseyside contingent of the press pack when he told the same news conference that he knew exactly what to expect having faced Liverpool in the Carling Cup last season.

He said: "For sure we are ready. A lot of our players have already played against Liverpool. We played them in the FA Cup and Carling Cup last season, so for me the atmosphere will be similar to what we saw a year ago.

You're in for a shock tonight Adebayor!! The roof will be coming off Anfield tonight!!

COME ON YOU REDMEN!!!

You're in for a shock tonight Adebayor!! The roof will be coming off Anfield tonight!!

COME ON YOU REDMEN!!!

liverpool is going to shut them down, its going to be 0-0 or 1 nil reds!

I really wish we do enough to get a draw today(at least)..It will be a dream coming true.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3399803,00.html

i hope you guys win, and i know if you do, their will be a riot between your fans and reds, i am pretty sure the entire world is going to see that happen. Martyn i know you just call us passionate, but mix passion, booze and a football match with two groups that already have the rep that they do, something is going to go down in either city.

2-1 to Arsenal AET.... Thats my prediction and thats all I have to say.

I also think Fernebache vs Chelsea will be a 0-0 draw!

Fenerbah?e took their chances and 2-0 was not bad, although we could have won. Congrats to Chelsea.

Now Liverpool has one more supporter.:))(Gotta find my reds merchandise when i was in 6th grade, emile heskey was playing at that time.:)))

2-1 to Arsenal AET.... Thats my prediction and thats all I have to say.

I also think Fernebache vs Chelsea will be a 0-0 draw!

ha, you tried and failed... hey martyn we're going to the semis!!!!!!! UNREAL GAME!!!!!

GET THE "*"&*"(?" IN THERE:DD:DD:DD:DD:DD

What a game that was! I need a heart transplant now after that!!

Fenerbah?e took their chances and 2-0 was not bad, although we could have won. Congrats to Chelsea.

Now Liverpool has one more supporter:):)(Gotta find my reds merchandise when i was in 6th grade, emile heskey was playing at that time:):))

It was a shame that Fenerbahce never went through, it would have been a good tie between them and Liverpool. We always seem to land Chelsea in the semi's!!

ha, you tried and failed... hey martyn we're going to the semis!!!!!!! UNREAL GAME!!!!!

It was a great game and for the first 25 minutes we were played off the park by Arsenal. However everything after that was controlled and dominated by Liverpool. The Theo Walcott run was alright but he was running against tired legs so it wasn't hard. It was also about the only thing Arsenal did in the second half. The penalty desicion was the correct one, Toure got the wrong side of Babel and the ref made the right decision. The Penalty that wasn't given at the Emirates should of been a Penalty but i always thought Helb goes down far to easy and eager to cheat, just like in this game he did serveral times.

Overall i think Gerrard was very fair on the question "Did the best team win?" Which many will say it was so close to pick, but i think Liverpool Edged it.

Also, Fabregas in your face to your comment "Liverpool can't play Football" I didn't see you do anything in this matc

It was a great game and for the first 25 minutes we were played off the park by Arsenal. However everything after that was controlled and dominated by Liverpool. The Theo Walcott run was alright but he was running against tired legs so it wasn't hard.

Nope.

He went one on one with each of them. They did not go running after him. Walcott's run reminded me of a player not too long ago with 14 on his back....

Don't take away credit of a fantastic counterattack by Walcott.

Walcott is a BIG Liverpool fan so this (play) goal was a dream come true to him.

It was also about the only thing Arsenal did in the second half. The penalty desicion was the correct one, Toure got the wrong side of Babel and the ref made the right decision.

I disagree. The penalty was VERY strict. If that was a penalty then Helb's was a penalty too.

Overall i think Gerrard was very fair on the question "Did the best team win?" Which many will say it was so close to pick, but i think Liverpool Edged it.

In this game, problably a tie.

Overall? Arsenal without a doubt.

Also, Fabregas in your face to your comment "Liverpool can't play Football" I didn't see you do anything in this matc

I doubt Cesc said that. And your going to compare Liverpool's football with Arsenal's football? :rolleyes:

Arsenal deserved to pass overall.

Nope.

He went one on one with each of them. They did not go running after him. Walcott's run reminded me of a player not too long ago with 14 on his back....

Walcott is a BIG Liverpool fan so this (play) goal was a dream come true to him.

I disagree. The penalty was VERY strict. If that was a penalty then Helb's was a penalty too.

I doubt Cesc said that. And your going to compare Liverpool's football with Arsenal's football? :rolleyes:

Sounds to me as if someone is an arsenal fan :)

Theo is a very good player and is definatly a one to be watching for the future!

however i would have liked to have seen an arsenal vs liverpool final with both man utd and chelsea being dumped out, but ah well at least we will defo have an english team in the final, even better if its a full english final :p. Great result for english football

Yeah, I liked Walcott's run. But, it was poor defending from Liverpool anyway, and Walcott had pace to burn against a tiring team. Good on him, I like him.

I agree with that. If Babel's was a penalty then Hleb's should have been. Although, Arsenal fans seem to be arguing that it should not have been a penalty, yet last week they were calling for a penalty for Hleb :rolleyes:

I think todays penalty was more clear cut though. Fabregas pulled Babel back, and then Toure practically started humping him.

First leg, I think Arsenal played better.

Second leg, I would say Liverpool played better.

Overall, we showed that passion, guts and work ethic are worth a lot more than passing in triangles and making "pretty football".

nice dive from babel for the penalty

He went down easily, but it was a foul. As I said before, Fabregas was pulling him back and Toure started humping him.

By the way, nice to see you NightCrawler, I wondered when you were going to show your face :D

Nope.

nice dive from babel for the penalty
Well said.
+1

grab a tissue boys, it wasn't a dive, he got held up. It sucks when you choke that badly i know but the best team won. You guys deserved the first game but you choked and couldn't get it done. You guys almost squeezed by the second game but you choked and couldn't get it done. Its okay, just maybe you guys can take the premier league, but it honestly looks like you choke when it comes to that too...

Edited by rajputwarrior

Nope.

He was still running against tired legs. It was about the only thing Arsenal did in the second half which was totally controlled by Livepool. I Suggest you watch the match again.

Dude, i ALREADY said the Helb was a penalty! Geez you just quoated me but didn't actually read anything, you really must be one bitter Arsenal fan. Babel was pushed down hence, Penalty.

Again your Opinion (or your Pro-Arsenal opinion really) Did you even watch the match from 30Minures onwards? Because all i saw was Liverpool dominating.

If you watched the post match comments he said excatly that. Players who come and say what's really on there mind derserve to be hit hard. Arsenal played football for 25 Minutes then didn't play at all after that. Steven Gerrard was a real gentleman after the match about saying it was hard to say Liverpool derserved to go though. You would have Cesc branding they derserved to win, because thats bull****.

I dont even support arsenal, I just hate liverpool but most of all I hate their fans. It's all right united will take care you lot.

Why do you hate Liverpool fans? Do you hate us because we are passionate and actually care about our club? If I was a Man Utd fan I would be ashamed at how 75,000 Man Utd fans were outsung by 3,000 Liverpool fans during the Liverpool v Man Utd game recently. Even Slur Alex Ferguson said that the atmosphere at OT is terrible. So, I have a fair idea why you hate us, jealousy.

But its ok mail, I love you to :wub: