UEFA Champions League

UEFA Champions League  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Champions League 2007/2008?

• Barcelona
    • Liverpool
    • AC Milan
    • Inter Milan
    • Arsenal
    • Man Utd
    • Real Madrid
    • Chelsea
    • Other
  2. 2. Who will be the Top Scorer?

• Didier Drogba
    • Samuel Eto'o
    • Thierry Henry
    • Kaka
    • Fernando Morientes
    • Herman Crespo
    • Adriano
    • Peter Crouch
    • Others

Good game, Liverpool to begin with didn't look like they wanted to win and after the first goal they decided to play and play well i might add. I don't know why Liverpool don't always play like this. I hope it is an all english final.

Great Liverpool v Arsenal game last night, as if it needed to be said. Both teams deserved to go through I think, the luck always seems to go Liverpool's way when it comes to games like that in the champions league though.

arsenal.jpg

:rofl:

Arsenal were robbed twice over the tie, but that's football.

Great game last night, shame I HATE Liverpool with a passion. Best of luck to them, but the title is Barcelona's.

Why do you hate Liverpool fans?

I hate Liverpool fans because most of them are obnoxius and annoying like you, I used to like Liverpool until I met fans like you locally.

I hate Liverpool fans because most of them are obnoxius and annoying like you, I used to like Liverpool until I met fans like you locally.

If Utd is your team then you should hate Liverpool naturally, not just because of me :rofl:

I see I have done my job well then!

Were are you from?

I agree with that. If Babel's was a penalty then Hleb's should have been. Although, Arsenal fans seem to be arguing that it should not have been a penalty, yet last week they were calling for a penalty for Hleb :rolleyes:

I think todays penalty was more clear cut though. Fabregas pulled Babel back, and then Toure practically started humping him.

i knew you'd say that, the penalty that wasnt in the first leg was a penalty as kuyt (think it was him) actually hooked his arm and pulled him back. the one last night, fabregas had a little tug outside the box, toure tried to stop running and babel jumped on the floor. only people saying it was a penalty are liverpool people / fans and even some of those are saying it wasn't

i knew you'd say that, the penalty that wasnt in the first leg was a penalty as kuyt (think it was him) actually hooked his arm and pulled him back. the one last night, fabregas had a little tug outside the box, toure tried to stop running and babel jumped on the floor. only people saying it was a penalty are liverpool people / fans and even some of those are saying it wasn't

It was Kuyt. In the first leg Kuyt tugged Hleb back, but then Hleb went down FAR to easily considering what happened, he practically threw himself on the floor. If he went down naturally I think the ref would have actually given it.

Having looked at it again, last night Babel was tugged but kept running, then he was jumped on by Toure which knocked him sideways so he could not hold his balance and he went down naturally.

I know a few neutrals who are saying it was a penalty, but the opinion seems to be fairly divided on the issue I think. To be honest, in my vision of ideal football that would not be a penalty, but by the new poncy European standards that was a penalty, and they have been given for a lot less.

To be fair though, Arsenal brought it all upon themselves. The game ended 5-3 on aggregate, not 1-0 with a "dodgy" penalty decision in the 86th minute.

Come on Roma :p

To be fair though, Arsenal brought it all upon themselves. The game ended 5-3 on aggregate, not 1-0 with a "dodgy" penalty decision in the 86th minute.

as far as i'm concerned, it finished 4-2 because of that penalty, at 2-2 arsenal were going through, then the dodgy penalty happened so arsenal were forced to attack leaving no defence so you scored a practically 1 on 1 goal which wouldn't happened without the penalty so even you cannot deny the penalty affected the result

As a neutral (c'mon Forest, Championship here we come), i believe last night was not a penalty, although Babel did very well at convincing everyone it was (Toure at most brushed against him, he did not jump on him)...

The Kuyt / Hleb incident was a penalty. It doesn't matter how easily Hleb went down as thats irrelevant, because Kuyt pulled on his arm. I have no idea why the referee didn't give it, he was stood right there...

This is my opinion at least.

as far as i'm concerned, it finished 4-2 because of that penalty, at 2-2 arsenal were going through, then the dodgy penalty happened so arsenal were forced to attack leaving no defence so you scored a practically 1 on 1 goal which wouldn't happened without the penalty so even you cannot deny the penalty affected the result

We'll never know though. Because, if it stayed at 2-2, Liverpool would have been on the onus to attack (which we were when we got the penalty) and in those final ten minutes we might have scored anyway. We will never know how it would have turned out, but that is football for you!

What do you reckon of the prospect of a Liverpool v Man Utd final?

He went down easily, but it was a foul. As I said before, Fabregas was pulling him back and Toure started humping him.

fabregas pulled him back before babel entered the penalty area, then he lost his balance and he when felt toure brush against him he went down.

i find it funny how many liverpool fans dismissed hleb's penalty and now they pretend babel didn't dive/it was a stonewall pen.

having said that arsenal only have themselves to blame, how can they lose concentration so quickly after scoring ? adebayor was still celebrating when babel won them the penalty...

fabregas pulled him back before babel entered the penalty area, then he lost his balance and he when felt toure brush against him he went down.

i find it funny how many liverpool fans dismissed hleb's penalty and now they pretend babel didn't dive/it was a stonewall pen.

having said that arsenal only have themselves to blame, how can they lose concentration so quickly after scoring ? adebayor was still celebrating when babel won them the penalty...

If you read what I said, you would see that I agreed that if Babel's was a penalty then Hleb's should have been. Then I outlined my opinion of why the ref never gave the penalty to Hleb.

Like I also said before, I also find it funny how Arsenal fans were crying how they should have had a penalty last week but are convinced it was not a penalty last night. The same could be said for Wenger!

I agree with your last point though. Arsenal had 180 minutes to win the tie, but never. Woeful defending and woeful finishing on Arsenal's part, and that is the reason why you are not in the semi final.

from another neutral point of view (take it as you think since i'm an ACM supporter), i'd say it was a PK. but i think its tough for an arsenal fan feeling like they should have been given a PK in the first leg, that one was pretty clear, especially in the replay the ref was pretty close and in good view of the incident. Actually in either of the games its tough for a ref to give a PK at those points.

since most people like to rant/debate about these PKs, i might as well speak too. i'm still a little ticked off about the PK given to liverpool in the 2005 CL final when liverpool was down 3-2. gattuso barely brushed the back of gerrard and he fell to the ground quite dramatically.

arsenal.jpg

lol thats comical ali.

It was Kuyt. In the first leg Kuyt tugged Hleb back, but then Hleb went down FAR to easily considering what happened, he practically threw himself on the floor. If he went down naturally I think the ref would have actually given it.

Having looked at it again, last night Babel was tugged but kept running, then he was jumped on by Toure which knocked him sideways so he could not hold his balance and he went down naturally.

I know a few neutrals who are saying it was a penalty, but the opinion seems to be fairly divided on the issue I think. To be honest, in my vision of ideal football that would not be a penalty, but by the new poncy European standards that was a penalty, and they have been given for a lot less.

To be honest, I think you should watch the penalty incident in the 1st leg another time just to get a clearer perspective because I am telling you, that Hleb never went down easily, Kuyt practically grabbed his armed and lulled him down before he took the shot or pass. In contrast, when you look at the babel incident Babel was further in a less dangerous position and Toure never did lull him down, in fact what happened was merely a clash of arms and Babel going down too easily. If you say Hleb went down like a bag of **** then you are just another biased Liverpool fan. Nonetheless though, sometimes decisions go for you and sometimes they don't, guess you were more lucky in that aspect but I believe our defensive maturity cost us big time as well as Flamini's exlusion after half time. Anyway, well done Liverpool hope you go on and win it.

I found a nice and fairly balanced review of the match by Myles Palmer (who is pretty well known apparently by Arsenal fans) for those interested.

http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.p...nt01returnid=42

That's a brilliant overview.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

If you read what I said, you would see that I agreed that if Babel's was a penalty then Hleb's should have been. Then I outlined my opinion of why the ref never gave the penalty to Hleb.

Like I also said before, I also find it funny how Arsenal fans were crying how they should have had a penalty last week but are convinced it was not a penalty last night. The same could be said for Wenger!

I agree with your last point though. Arsenal had 180 minutes to win the tie, but never. Woeful defending and woeful finishing on Arsenal's part, and that is the reason why you are not in the semi final.

arsenal had it wrap and they couldn't do it. I agree with all your points martyn, they could have had it but they didn't. My dad is a die hard Man U fan and he said it was the right call, but he also agree the refs missed a couple before, but that is the way the game goes.

I was stoked that he started crouch and he played well, he even set up torres goal in the second half by heading it to him. Kuyt was prolly the best player on the field, i think tommy (i always forget his last name, the announcer) got it right, while kuyt is in the field no one runs around harder then that guy. The first 30 minutes by the reds was terrible, gerrard couldn't make a pass if his life depended on it and torres couldn't control the ball, but we showed up when we had to :) They were talking about how crouch hasn't signed the externsion yet, but i REALLY hope he does, but i wouldn't blame him if he doesn't.

Also thats a good article article martyn.

victoryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! Sorry to our Turkish friends :)

see you in a couple of weeks :)

I believe great misjustice has been made. I feel so bitter even though I tried not to sound like it before, its like I have a massive ball inside my throat, I can't stomach this result. It makes me feel sick.

I thought it was a great game, Liverpool vs Arsenal, and enjoyed watching it. My vote went, successfully, to Liverpool but it was a nail-biting game with some extensive heart beating along.

I believe great misjustice has been made. I feel so bitter even though I tried not to sound like it before, its like I have a massive ball inside my throat, I can't stomach this result. It makes me feel sick.

Last night, along with the FA Cup Final victory in 2001, goes someway to making up for 1989 in my eyes.

You should have heard John Aldridge last night (who played in that game in 1989), after the game he said "Bye bye Wenger, that was for 1989. That was for Arsenal hurting me and hurting our fans, and rubbing our noses in it, Out you go!" :rofl:

You'll get over it mate. It must be painful, I remember losing in the Champions League Final just last year, I felt low after that. It is just football, if you are like me it quite often controls you mood...and right now I am elated!

I hope you drub Man Utd at the weekend though mate, and I hope you win the league this year (Y).

PS. You guys are going to call me old but it has been since Owen's departure that I've watched Liverpool and I can only say that Torres earns his position...

PS. You guys are going to call me old but it has been since Owen's departure that I've watched Liverpool and I can only say that Torres earns his position...

yup he is our new michael own

Kuyt grabbed Hleb and tried to spin him like a top.

Cesc's arm had very minimal contact with Babel. Toure was clumsy at the back, but Babel was literally fumbling and tumbling with arms flailing around. Whether he knew it or not, he dived. Nuff said.

:p