360 RROD Poll

0 RRODs

bought it on release date. Froze once playing two worlds but that game is so buggy im willing to bet it was because of the game not the console.

I left it on for 2 and a half days accidently when i forgot to turn it off and went to london for the weekend. came home and played a game. It didnt even stutter.

https://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/12/30/n...360-died-on-you

Those of you with (or without) problems please detail.

How many have you had?

How long have you owned your console?

Do you have the original design or the new Falcon 65nm core?

Is it a Core, Arcade, Pro, Elite, Halo, etc?

And please keep this discussion only to the effects of Xbox problems -- 360 vs PS3 vs Wii discussion or any other type of "platform bashing" will not be tolerated!

Mine went bad a week before christmas my dvd drive died. I have the original but it came back with falcon and this is the pro edition. I have had it for 6 months the return policy was great and I had it back the day after christmas.

I am one of the unlikely folks who has had multiple failures.

I got my first 360 on March 25th, 2007. It died April 20th. In the middle of a game, the screen froze, i rebooted and got the RROD.

The 2nd XBOX lasted only 10 days before booting it one evening straight to the RROD.

The 3rd XBOX arrived more or less broken. It would stop reading CDs at random, and occasionally would boot to a HDD error. Microsoft refused to replace it unless the problem happened every time it was turned on, so I lived with the problem, having to restart games once or twice an hour every time I played.

I finally got it replaced on Christmas Eve. Got home about 10 minutes after the stores closed, got the new XBOX 360 Elite setup... and it died in less than 2 hours. Same as my first XBOX, in the middle of playing, the screen froze (though this time it was accompanied with a loud buzz). Reboot to RROD. I let it sit for a few hours and it worked again for a few hours and died for good.

I'm on my 5th now... and so far so good. Here's hoping.

I have had 0 RROD

I have had mine since the end of August

It's the standard Premium pack.

My bruv had his for about a year before he got the RROD problem, sent it to MS and the sent it back within 2 weeks.

The only Gripe that I have had is that I sent the ?60 warranty/guarantee deely to MS when I got the console and have had nothing back so far. i really must chase that up.

I got a letter back today with my Warranty details that I sent off in August saying that they have implemented a new system and I have to now send them my CVV number also. My CCard has expired since i originally sent off the details 5 months ago so i gues i'll have to send all of my details again. I'm just glad that in the 5 months i've had it i havnt had any issues

OUCH!

No RROD, but the XBox360 we just got the kids on Christmas already is being sent for a warranty issue. It scratched a circle into the kids' Rock Band DVD. I guess there is some sort of padding they put on the upper cover of the DVD drive to prevent the DVD from tilting too far and hitting the lens assembly. It seems ours doesn't have it, or something. :pinch:

Anyhow, submitted the request online, and they are sending a box to ship it in for retrofit.

Have had two Xboxes, Both Halo 3 UK editions

First Xbox was vertical and after about two weeks it randomly scratched up the disk (halo 3) it no longer worked.

Took it back to the store and got a replacement, placed it horisontal, had no trouble for about a month until a ball knocked it slightly and it scratched up another game. I've knocked my PC harder when having DVDs running and never had this type of problem.

I doubt I will buy another and think I will switch back to the playstation series.

I have had the same 360 for just over a year and the only problem just started within a month or so with it freezing a few times during play.

Had two 360's. First was a Premium which had a disc drive error the day I got Halo 3!!! Replaced within a couple of weeks then sold the replacement.

Got a Elite about a year ago and it's been perfect. Got a PS3 in the house too which hardly gets a look in now! :-D

The reason why the number of failures is so high is because every time you RMA your Xbox, the Xbox service center never throw out any components unless it won't power on. The rest will find it's way back into "New" Xboxes.

They use this method to save costs by always providing components to get the systems rolling off the assembly line, with the reasoning that eventually every component will fail sooner or later.

When they provide you with a "New" Xbox to replace your previous, it's really mishmash of parts from other failed systems that pass the power-on test. They save costs by having you do the testing. You send it back, they remove the failed component and put the rest into circulation and give you another "New" Xbox to test, and the cycle continues until you find one that works.

The service center will never throw out a CPU/Motherboard for as long as it at least powers on, even if they know it's faulty, because they are too expensive to replace.

The reason why the number of failures is so high is because every time you RMA your Xbox, the Xbox service center never throw out any components unless it won't power on. The rest will find it's way back into "New" Xboxes.

Two comments on this. First, doing this could put Microsoft at risk of a class-action lawsuit, much like Packard Bell back in 1994, although both the defence and prosecutors "agreed that recycled parts have lower failure rates and thus are, in fact, better than new parts".

Secondly, it also seems (from the second link I provided) that placing a notice that a device "may contain used or reconditioned parts" mitigates liability in any case. Not sure if Microsoft puts that sort of notice in their XBox documentation, or if they really even do what you say they do.

I've had 2 RROD on 2 different 360 :(

the first one I had just a couple of months, the other one almost a year before it gave me the RROD. Both were premium.

Now, I'm on an elite and just hoping MS didn't manage to **** this one up too.

But the 360 is just collecting dust behind my PS3 which is working wonderful. (and doesn't scream like a bitch with the nuts all in)

0 RROD

Original Premium model bought about 28th Dec 2006

Only froze on me the once during a game

Problem with C&C Tiberium Wars started a couple of days ago - sounds like the disc isn't seated properly but still plays ok

Brother-in-law has had one a couple of months longer 1 RROD after nearly a year and then about a week later with the replacement (playing Needs for Speed Carbon both times)

and gt

(my Wii didn't last that long!)

Prob jinxed it now though!!

Make that 1 return - just spoken to M$ support and going to return my Xbox due to problems reading discs

Unfortunately about 2 weeks out of warranty and they wouldn't authorise a warranty repair so have to pay ?60

Tempted to make it overheat to get 3 red lights and get a free repair

At least it will come back with another 1 year warranty and I won't bother trying to troubleshoot it on my own this time!!

Well my launch day 360 got the RROD I think a year in, but my replacement from EB (not refurbished) that I have had for quite a while now hasn't gone bad yet, although not having the new heat sink. I still have some time on both my EB warranty and Microsoft's, so if it happens I'm prepared.

Flawless original white premium since august 2005 (yes I know it got out in october 2005 but the build date on it is august 2005 and I got it 1 month earlier, joy of working in a game shop). It's one of those that are suppose to die. I hope it doesn't happen.

i'm thinking to buy one but i'm a lil bit confused. :( don't wanna see the RROD on the first day ! :)

so guys, plz help me to pick the right 360. some people says the premium verion is quite stabel (which comes with the HDMI port). how i will know which version is the Core and which version the premium one ?

thxz in advance...... :)

i'm thinking to buy one but i'm a lil bit confused. :( don't wanna see the RROD on the first day ! :)

so guys, plz help me to pick the right 360. some people says the premium verion is quite stabel (which comes with the HDMI port). how i will know which version is the Core and which version the premium one ?

thxz in advance...... :)

It's quite simple actually. The Core is actually discontinued and is now called Arcade. Don't buy Arcade. You'll know it's one if it says "Arcade" and it doesn't come with a hard drive and other goodies.

The boxes labelled Pro are the premium ones. Frankly I don't think either makes a difference in terms of RRODs. All new 360s have the new heat sinks installed, so they should really have no problems unless you purposely keep them in a hot room, on a carpet, surrounded by other high heat A/V devices. Just give it room to breathe and you'll be fine.

I've owned Pro console for almost 1.5 years and have had no problems with it, RROD or otherwise. Granted, it's been only lightly used during that time, and I keep it in the basement, which is always cool, so overheating is never an issue.

Arcade = xbox 360 all white, green box, no harddrive in box, wired controller, lowest price

Pro/Premium = White boxes, 360 white a silver cdrom face, wireless controller, 20gig harddisk, arround 100$ more then the arcade

Elite = Black box, 360 all black, wireless controller, 120 gig hd (as I remember), around 100$ more then premium

There are some bundle too, like futureshop had elite with play and charge kit and other stuff so price may differ.

Oh yeah,Arcade VS Pro/Elite: Arcade doesn't play original xbox game.

If you plan only on playing games, I suggest the pro/premium one. If you go for downloadable content, streamed movie rental, arcade game (more then 2-3), go for elite.

As for the RROD, it's a per item basis. There is the same ratio of RROD on all, it's just that there's much less arcade bundle sold then pro (and elite's been there for about a year or so). They all have the same motherboard with same feature, it's just that some have the hdmi port, the other don't (and software is different in those case).

I can play Xbox live arcade games, Need for speed, but anything else I tried kills it after 5-10 minutes. My box is about 2 years old. It SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Put a shirt on it, block all heat income and start a massive game (like mass effect, halo and such); in other word, make it overheat to get RROD and you'll still be on waranty (remember, 3 year on RROD)

Well, I was a proud owner of a lunch date xbox 360....until it went dead last night while playing "Rock Band"... Can't determine the cause of the problem, but all I can say it's that it will never work again....

bouhouhouhouhouuuuuu (crying)

It served me well for 2 years and 2 months, non-stop playing during all that time...played with it almost everyday.

It was so silent !...but now it will remain silent forever, lol !

They are sending me that box for the repair center soon, so...I hope the next one will be as silent as this one.

Had my first RROD this evening, I popped in BLACK and it froze with weird clicking and a few beeps then displayed a black screen with lots of technobabble jibber jabber, turned it off, gave it a small knock and switched it back and its working again! wooo