[Football] Summer Transfers 2008

He did well when he was on loan at Man City before.

If I am honest I don't really remember him at Man City much, and in that respect he didn't stand out for me.

Hopefully he will do well though. Considering Espanyol wanted ?19 million for him, and we got him for ?8 million even though Everton offered in the region of ?11 million we did well.

Roman Pavlyuchenko has claimed that he is set to complete a move to Tottenham Hotspur.

The 26-year-old Russia international striker has been linked with a move to Spurs all summer.

Now it appears that the North London outfit have sealed a deal with his club Spartak Moscow.

Speaking to Uefa's Russian website, Pavlyuchenko confirmed he had not travelled with the rest of the Spartak squad for the second leg of their UEFA Champions League qualifier against Dynamo Kiev as he was finalising the details of his move to Spurs.

"I am back in Moscow and I will not play in Kiev, and I can confirm I am going to Tottenham," he told uefa.ru.

"I am waiting for a Visa and as soon as it is granted, I am ready to go to England and sign."

Pavlyuchenko revealed he was yet to discuss the move with Spurs boss Juande Ramos.

"Juande Ramos, I have not yet met, it seems like he will call me - but I know for sure he is very interested in my services," he continued.

hey marty, you know anything about this reira guy? have you ever watched him play?

I've never watched him properly to be honest mate. I've watched a few La Liga games with Espanyol randomly, but he has never really stood out at me in the sense of "oh look, there is Riera!". I watched the UEFA Cup Final a few years ago with Sevilla and Espanyol which Sevilla won, and a lot of people have said to me today that Riera tore Daniel Alves apart, but to be honest I can't really remember.

I'm quite happy though. The guy WANTS to play for us, and we have no one on the left really do we? Considering Espanyol wanted ?19 million for him, and we got him for ?8 million - ?9 million, I think we did quite well.

I've seen clips of him and he seems to be fairly skilful, but not very quick.

On another point, I wish Rafa would play Pennant more.

Russia playmaker Andrei Arshavin's on-off summer move to Tottenham could be back on, BBC Sport understands.

Spurs ended negotiations with Zenit St Petersburg 10 days ago after failing to agree on a fee for the 27-year-old.

But the Russian side are believed to have re-opened talks after lowering their asking price, prompting a re-think from the Spurs hierarchy.

Should he join, Arshavin would link up with Roman Pavlyuchenko, who will seal his move from Spartak Moscow by Friday.

Tottenham agreed a fee for Pavlyuchenko at the beginning of the week, with the Londoners thought to be paying up to ?12m for the 26-year-old striker.

And by pairing him with Arshavin, Spurs will re-create the partnership that helped Russia storm so impressively to the semi-finals of Euro 2008 this summer.

The news should also please Zenit manager Dick Advocaat, who has already signed a like-for-like replacement in Danny from Dinamo Moscow for around ?24m and who claimed Arshavin's ongoing links to Spurs have upset team morale this season.

It is thought the pair's arrival will pave the way for Dimitar Berbatov to complete his "dream" move to Manchester United.

I've never watched him properly to be honest mate. I've watched a few La Liga games with Espanyol randomly, but he has never really stood out at me in the sense of "oh look, there is Riera!". I watched the UEFA Cup Final a few years ago with Sevilla and Espanyol which Sevilla won, and a lot of people have said to me today that Riera tore Daniel Alves apart, but to be honest I can't really remember.

I'm quite happy though. The guy WANTS to play for us, and we have no one on the left really do we? Considering Espanyol wanted ?19 million for him, and we got him for ?8 million - ?9 million, I think we did quite well.

I've seen clips of him and he seems to be fairly skilful, but not very quick.

On another point, I wish Rafa would play Pennant more.

i like pennant, he got the speed, the touch and great sense of the ball. I don't know why rafa doesn't have confidence in this guy. He has a great cross too...

I honestly think though that rafa is trying to get a team like spain, that can play that one touch type of soccer that we saw at the euros.

Consider that Benayoun and Pennant play in the same position. And Yossi has his skills as well.

Hardly. Benayoun plays best as a central attacking midfielder, but can nevertheless play on the wing, where he has in the last four or so games and has been completely ****. Pennant on the other hand is a natural right winger.

Skysports.com understands Carlton Cole is considering his future at West Ham following the club's failure to resolve his contractual situation.

The 24-year-old was the subject of a bid from Premiership rivals Sunderland recently, while two more clubs, one from abroad, are tracking the striker.

Cole, who scored in the Hammers' 4-1 Carling Cup win over Macclesfield on Wednesday night, has become a key figure at Upton Park over the last 15 months.

Having played over 30 Premiership games for the East Londoners last season he is now firmly established an integral part of Alan Curbishley's first XI and has started both of the club's league fixtures this term.

However, it appears the player has become unsettled as a result of West Ham's failure to secure his future with talks over a new long-term contract having stalled.

The hit-man was keen to commit himself to the Hammers, but having received no assurances regarding his future is now considering his options.

With just four days to go before the transfer window shuts it could now be that Sunderland, and his other suitors, choose to step up their interest in the powerful striker.

This is getting ridiculous we bloody struggled last night because of lack of players.

Manchester City have completed the signing of their former winger Shaun Wright-Phillips from Chelsea.

England's Wright-Phillips, 26, has signed a four-year contract at the City of Manchester Stadium having rejoined for an undisclosed fee.

He told the club's website: "Obviously I'm delighted to come back to City and I can't wait to get started again."

Manager Mark Hughes added: "I've always admired Shaun and he's been a target of mine since I came to the club."

Wright-Phillips left City to join Chelsea for ?21m in July 2005, but struggled to hold down a regular place in his three years in London.

He made only 43 Premier League starts, scoring four times, as he fell out of England reckoning too.

Edited by Rappy

I suppose. But who would you give up so that Benayoun plays in the middle, And Pennant on the right?

Well, now Mascherano, Babel and Lucas are back from the Olympics we can play 4231 again instead of 442, which Benayoun is much more suited to. He can play the "wide forward" role, or behind the striker. Although, I think either Keane or Gerrard (now injured) will be playing behind Torres.

Yeah, That's what i was thinking. Although they aren't exactly in overlapping positions, Benayoun has to compete with Pennant and Babel for a spot, At the very least, Maybe add Mascherano to that as well. Oh well, We'll See.

Yeah, That's what i was thinking. Although they aren't exactly in overlapping positions, Benayoun has to compete with Pennant and Babel for a spot, At the very least, Maybe add Mascherano to that as well. Oh well, We'll See.

Then comes to my argument of "play Pennant", who in himself is not suited to the wide forward role of a 4231. Hmmm!

I do like Benayoun though, he is a poor mans Luis Garcia but he is still a great player.

Andrei Arshavin's move from Zenit St Petersburg to Tottenham now looks unlikely to happen after the player revealed that he would stay in Russia.

Zenit initially held out for ?24million before twice lowering their asking price but Tottenham look to have turned their attention elsewhere, with the capture of Arshavin's international team-mate Roman Pavlyuchenko expected within the next 48 hours.

Spurs are still in the market for another striker, but with Dimitar Berbatov's move to Manchester United also stalling,

Arshavin believes he may end up having to stay with the UEFA Cup champions.

'I have a feeling we can put this story to bed,' he tol Sport Express.>

'I think with the purchase of Pavlyuchenko the idea of Arshavin (moving) to London no longer exists.

When quizzed on whether he saw his future at Zenit, he replied: 'It looks that way.'

While Spurs have repeatedly insisting that the player would only leave by their instruction, Ferguson's interest has seen the former Bayer Leverkusen striker (Berbatov) sit out his current side's last league match against Sunderland while admitting that a move north would appeal.

However, with the transfer window due to close at the end of August, an agreement between the two clubs would look to be doubtful, a sentiment that appears to be echoed by the 66-year old.

When asked about potential arrivals before the transfer deadline, Ferguson said: "I'm less optimistic so we'll carry on.

"I've no idea what's going on. It's very hard to get communication with some people in life."

The Red Devils' chief executive, David Gill, has also admitted that he remains cautious over the possibility of a deal being agreed, though he retains hope that, as has been the case in recent seasons, a switch could be secured at the last-minute.

"Clearly there's not long to go, you'll have to wait with bated breath," Gill told Sky Sports News.

"We're working on it but I've been doing transfers for many, many years and know nothing is done until it's done, either in or out."

Everton have agreed to sign the Frenchman (Saha) on an inital two-year deal with the option of a one-year extension for an undisclosed fee.

The move, which is subject to a medical, would see Saha become Everton's third signing in a week following the arrivals of Lars Jacobsen and Segundo Castillo.

Former Nuremburg player Jacobsen has joined on a free transfer while Red Star Belgrade midfielder Castilloa has joined on a year-long loan deal.

Saha, however, would strengthen Everton's attacking options significantly after manager David Moyes admitted his resources were too thin for the rigours of a Premier League campaign.

Gunners director Danny Fiszman admits Wenger can even blow ?30m on one player.

Fiszman said: "It would be no problem. No problem at all."

Arsenal fans, alarmed that Wenger has not spent big this summer despite losing Mathieu Flamini and Alexander Hleb, will be fascinated to hear Fiszman claiming money is no object.

"It's not our decision who he spends money on, nor will it ever be our decision," said Fiszman.

"If he said to us, 'I want this guy and he's ?30m, can I buy him?' the answer is 'yes'. Absolutely. We totally back him. It's his decision."

Fiszman dismissed talk of a crisis at Arsenal, saying: "We are optimistic this year. We badly want to win, but Arsene believes in creating teams the way he does."

After seeing Arsenal handed long trips to Turkey and Ukraine to face Fenerbahce and Dynamo Kiev, Fiszman added: "I am sure they will provide very stiff competition."

Edited by Kralik

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=840157

The 18-year-old Iago is one of the most promising youngsters currently playing for Barcelona B, and he has attracted the interest of a host of top European clubs, including Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Ajax.

However, according to French newspaper L?Equipe, Juventus have beaten all their competitors to the punch, and have swooped to sign the left winger.

The Bianconeri have snapped up the teenager on a free transfer, but they will have to pay Barcelona compensation should they sell Iago on, or if he were to become a regular in their first team.

The reason for Iago?s apparent decision to leave was not only his desire to join Juve, but also because of his lack of opportunities in the Barcelona first team.

Juventus are expected to officially announce the signing of the former Spain Under-17 international in the coming hours.

Aston Villa have completed the signing of winger James Milner from Newcastle for a fee reported to be around ?10m.

Milner, 22, who spent the 2005-6 season on loan at Villa Park, has signed a four-year deal and becomes Martin O'Neill's eighth signing of the summer.

The England Under-21 international signed a four-year contract at Newcastle last summer but handed in a transfer request last week.

Milner may go straight into the Villa side against Liverpool on Sunday.

I'm surprised by that one, considering how much they were raving about him on Sky Sports after the Carling Cup match this week. Good piece of business for Villa.

I think it's time for West Ham to get out the cheque book and make some more Tevez/Mascherano-esque deals! It's starting to get a bit boring looking at that bleak line up! :D

I'm surprised by that one, considering how much they were raving about him on Sky Sports after the Carling Cup match this week. Good piece of business for Villa.

I think it's time for West Ham to get out the cheque book and make some more Tevez/Mascherano-esque deals! It's starting to get a bit boring looking at that bleak line up! :D

You know West Ham won't sign anyone before the close of the window.