Windows 7 at D6

How the **** will these make my life more productive as a computer programmer and student to move objects around with more than a finger? I Mean seriously, stop creating new needs with your marketing geniuses and improve your current offerings of today!

Wow. Who says they aren't improving what they have. You act as if this feature is the only thing that Win7 will consist of and be about.

-Spenser

Ok. For me this presentation is worth about 2/10.

I am disappointed. Multi-touch?! That's it? This has got to be a joke.

I waited to see the new Windows 7 and instead I got to see some emerging technology which I have vague interests in and won't invest any money to have it.

I feel quite hollow and cold after that Mr Gates and Mr Ballmer.

:no:

Microsoft had a chance to 'Wow' and impress. Failed on both.

man I feel yeah..

I'll just continue building my next rig on Nehalem

Wow. Who says they aren't improving what they have. You act as if this feature is the only thing that Win7 will consist of and be about.

-Spenser

8 years in development and all we've seen is multi-touch. So far it looks it will be the only thing Windows 7 will consist of and be about.

How the **** will these make my life more productive as a computer programmer and student to move objects around with more than a finger? I Mean seriously, stop creating new needs with your marketing geniuses and improve your current offerings of today!

Seems to me this feature is meant to enable new computing experiences, improve tablet PC functionality, etc. It's not like that's all we're doing... It's just too early to talk about anything else.

-Spenser

First impressions last, and this is exactly it. I don't expect them to show improvements made over Vista. I expect them to do that job and to deliver general improvements with every OS.

What I was expecting was more usable features, features that increase productivity, not increase hand gestures over a device that I must buy which I don't want to. By that what I mean is I guess an improved Vista UI (isn't the Office 2007 guy behind Windows 7 now?), performance improvements that won't make people who buy "Windows-ready" PC's go nuts and so on.

8 years in development and all we've seen is multi-touch. So far it looks it will be the only thing Windows 7 will consist of and be about.

Well that's certainly not the case.

Windows 7 has been in development since the release of Vista. No where close to 8 years.

Not only that, but this is just ONE feature. Companies tend not to show off their stuff until they are closer to being released, so, be happy that they at least showed off ONE feature.

Windows 7 has been in development since the release of Vista. No where close to 8 years.

Not only that, but this is just ONE feature. Companies tend not to show off their stuff until they are closer to being released, so, be happy that they at least showed off ONE feature.

well there was neptune, then blackcomb, then vienna and then 7

Well that's certainly not the case.

How do we know this? I don't care if you're under an NDA, but saying that puts you in a good position, one to claim that the company's doing more when you aren't allowed to back it up. That's ok, I'd do the same if I wanted to keep my job.

Of course we don't. What we know is based on rumors, keynotes and interviews & such. That's why, usually, what you're suppose to present in these presentations is something phenomenal, not new and quasi-useless. You want to keep your potential customers and current customers interested and curious and all excited. I know Microsoft is capable of doing that. WinFS was one of the most hyped vaporware ever, so they could pull it off again.

As far as presenting new goodies, Apple (Steve Jobs) is among the leaders. Maybe Microsoft should learn a thing or two from a man dressed in cheap jeans and a black shirt.

How do we know this? Of course we don't. What we know is based on rumors, keynotes and interviews & such. That's why, usually, what you're suppose to present in these presentations is something phenomenal, not new and quasi-useless. You want to keep your potential customers and current customers interested and curious and all excited. I know Microsoft is capable of doing that. WinFS was one of the most hyped vaporware ever, so they could pull it off again.

As far as presenting new goodies, Apple (Steve Jobs) is among the leaders. Maybe Microsoft should learn a thing or two from a man dressed in cheap jeans and a black shirt.

+1

The future of computing, multi-touch displays will be orientated much like our keyboard now, flat on a surface and perhaps slightly slanted. That is the optimum position for the hand, and that is where it will take off. Multi-touch will also be great for tablets and portable devices.

Multi-touch will also be great for tablets and portable devices.

thats what it will only be great for. microsoft and their ideas hahha

well there was neptune, then blackcomb, then vienna and then 7

Neptune was in development from 1999 to 2000. Blackcomb and Vienna were codenames for Windows 7, which began development after Vista.

p1000159.jpg

Engadget got some pretty good close-up shots! Looks like a nice watch :p

over sized taskbar.... new orb?

Neptune was in development from 1999 to 2000. Blackcomb and Vienna were codenames for Windows 7, which began development after Vista.

way before that. also they worked on it in longhorn. Longhorn was gonna be a minor update and "blackcomb/vienna/7" was gonna be the major update, but now its fliped. though it looks like fiji will take the minor role and 7 will be the major...

I'm sorry....The video on the windows blog, doesn't wow me at all. Doesn't anyone else feel thats a useless feature with pictures like that? Honestly, it's easier to use a mouse and turn it, do whatever, scroll wheel to make it bigger. I felt that same way with the Speech thing in vista, its easier to type it out instead of having it stop and asking what word you want. This new feature.... it's just one feature that hey it might be good for some people, but others wont even need it. I hope we get a lot of new interesting features or I know certainly I am not ****ing money away on it.

I don't understand why you guys were expecting so much. This is hardly the kind of conference that they'd be revealing loads of features of Win7 at anyhow. I don't know why you guys expected a whole lot more.

-Spenser

Of course we don't. What we know is based on rumors, keynotes and interviews & such. That's why, usually, what you're suppose to present in these presentations is something phenomenal, not new and quasi-useless. You want to keep your potential customers and current customers interested and curious and all excited. I know Microsoft is capable of doing that. WinFS was one of the most hyped vaporware ever, so they could pull it off again.

OK. You give the example of WinFS and tight-lipped Jobs. So your comments boil down to:

* don't leak information

* don't disclose your entire product plan several years before launch

* don't talk about things until they're done

From the indications so far, it looks like Microsoft followed your advice quite well. It's cool that people are excited and impatient. That is not a compelling reason to prematurely announce mention or hint at anything. :)

I think multi-touch was an interesting tidbit to mention, since I think you appreciate it more the more you think about it.

Microsoft needs to wake up and realize that multi-touch is not suited for a desktop or laptop because the ergonomics just don't work. It's the same reason why the tablet has been a failure and why I don't think Apple will release one unless it's just a slightly bigger version of the iPhone that can still be held in one hand. Who is gonna work on a computer when their arms will need to be floating in the air all the time except for gadget geeks? The problem for Microsoft is that while multi-touch makes sense for Surface it's only a niche product while the iphone is a mass market product so they are trying to force multi-touch onto PC's where it doesn't belong. Apple realizes this and that's why they made a touchpad that can do multi-touch as the ergonomics of that implementation actually make sense.

Microsoft needs to wake up and realize that multi-touch is not suited for a desktop or laptop because the ergonomics just don't work. It's the same reason why the tablet has been a failure and why I don't think Apple will release one unless it's just a slightly bigger version of the iPhone that can still be held in one hand. Who is gonna work on a computer when their arms will need to be floating in the air all the time except for gadget geeks? The problem for Microsoft is that while multi-touch makes sense for Surface it's only a niche product while the iphone is a mass market product so they are trying to force multi-touch onto PC's where it doesn't belong. Apple realizes this and that's why they made a touchpad that can do multi-touch as the ergonomics of that implementation actually make sense.

microsoft has big ideas in a small mind

i purchased stock in this post (Y)

microsoft has big ideas in a small mind

Microsoft just has a habit of coming up with ideas before the hardware and the rest of the ecosystem is really ready for them. Unfortunately, this often seems to get MS stuck in situations like Windows CE - where the platform made sacrifices to accomodate the limited hardware. Then when the hardware caught up to the original vision, Microsoft is hesitant to scrap its original platform investment, and it takes longer to work back in those things that were sacrificed early on because they wanted to be a driving force and push the envelope from the software side.

I think this is working out better for multi-touch, though. It's still really early in the game, of course, but I think leveraging the Windows platform to accelerate the development of these new PC experiences will pay off in the long run.

Hm ....

Looks like I'd be saving up money to buy a new (64-bit!) PC by the time Win7 comes out.

My 4-yr-old Dell can handle XP and Vista just fine albeit with hardware changes - which I'm not even complaining about.

But by the time Win7 comes out, that Dell of mine'd be like over 5 years old. I doubt that Win7'd be able to handle a 5-yr-old PC.

Methinks I'd keep XP/Vista on this Dell and buy a new PC with Win7.

(Yes, I already have another tower, but that's meant for server purposes - Win Server 2003 R2, Enterprise Ed SP2. That tower is the one I built in my PC Config class last year - a Rosewill case, Gigabyte mobo, 3 GHz Pen D, 1 GB RAM, DVD burner, 500-GB SATA HD, and an old ATi vid card.)

Edited by MtDewCodeRedFreak