• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Barclays Premier League

Barclays Premier League 2008/09  

375 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Crazysah    7

Newcastle being relegated will be huge for the Premier League! West Brom might survive again!

nothuman    0

This was a serious game. Giggs was on fire and Rooney everywhere.

gregb0b    11

Some good games going on today.

On another note ESPN featured this story on bar brawler stevie:

Gerrard admits he nearly joined Chelsea

May 2, 2009

* Comment

* Email

* Print

Steven Gerrard admits he considered moving to Chelsea because he felt Liverpool were a long way from being title contenders.

Steven Gerrard

PaulEllis/GettyImages

Steven Gerrard: Stayed at Anfield after a summer of speculation in 2005.

The England midfielder was on the verge of a move to Stamford Bridge in 2005. However, the 28-year-old remained at Anfield.

Gerrard admits he had considered going to Chelsea but is now relieved he chose to stay in the north-west.

Gerrard told the Daily Telegraph: "The reason the whole Chelsea thing came up was down to frustration that we were so far away from the title race.

"That's why their interest maybe turned my head slightly.

"But I look back now and I'm really pleased I decided to stay because I'm part of a top team here that can be successful."

As a Liverpool fan, Gerrard knows success at Anfield would have far more significance for him than winning trophies with another club.

"It would mean an awful lot more to be successful at Liverpool than it would at any other club," Gerrard continued.

"Don't get me wrong, I might have won more medals somewhere else but if I was to win the league here, along with a few more cups, that would mean a lot more than winning seven or eight trophies somewhere else.

"I can share it with my family, with the Liverpool supporters because I've been one of them all my life."

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...and&cc=5901

Martyn    5

Welcome to 2004 gregb0b.

Damo R.    29,658

Job Done for West Ham (Y)

Spuds are right behind us now :p

gregb0b    11
Welcome to 2004 gregb0b.

Welcome? I was already aware.

Martyn    5
Welcome? I was already aware.

The whole Chelsea business happened a number of years ago now, he was not happy with the way we were performing in the league and felt that the club were trying to force him out.

I don't understand why you are calling Stevie a 'bar brawler' either, you do realise that all the charges were dropped right :rolleyes: ?

Subject Delta    108

I said it before, and I will say it again

Typical chelsea fan.

Green_Eye    49
Job Done for West Ham (Y)

Spuds are right behind us now :p

I'm actually pretty pleased with the Hammers performance today! Other then being a bit tighter in defense I am happy with this win :D

I welcome the challenge of Liverpool :)

Crazysah    7

Arsenal 3-0! What a performance. I just wish that WBA could have won yesterday!

Martyn    5
Sami Hyypia's decade of service at Liverpool Football Club will end this summer when he joins Bayer Leverkusen on a two-year deal.

Hyypia underwent a medical with the German outfit this morning and will link up with his new teammates in the summer for the start of pre-season training.

The Finnish international has earned legendary status at Anfield for the part he has played in the club's many successes over the past decade - and he will leave Merseyside with the best wishes of every Liverpool supporter.

It's hard to believe he cost the Reds just ?2.5million from Dutch outfit Willem II back in May 1999.

After making his Reds debut against Sheffield Wednesday on August 7, 1999, Hyypia quickly formed a watertight partnership with Stephane Henchoz, providing the foundation for a historic treble in 2000-01.

The centre-half wore the captain's armband through much of this momentous campaign in the absence of the injured Jamie Redknapp. He jointly lifted both the UEFA and FA Cups.

Following the departure of Redknapp in April 2002, Gerard Houllier handed his trusty defender the captaincy on a permanent basis, though he'd be replaced by the emerging Steven Gerrard in October 2003.

With the arrival of new boss Rafa Benitez in 2004 came numerous personnel changes, though it was clear Hyypia was going nowhere.

However, he did have a new central-defensive partner in Jamie Carragher, who was at last given a regular slot in his preferred position. Within 12 months they were regarded as one of the most formidable pairings on the continent following Liverpool's Champions League triumph in the Ataturk.

Hyypia scored one of the most memorable goals en route to Istanbul, an unstoppable volley to open the scoring against Juve in the quarter-finals.

Incredibly, he played every minute of 57 consecutive European games for the Reds from November 2001 to February 2006.

The arrival of young centre-halves Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel provided competition for places as Hyypia entered his twilight but, despite sometimes missing out, he continued to climb the club's all-time appearance table. In December 2008 he overtook Ron Yeats to enter the top 20.

History will undoubtedly judge the big Finn to be one of the club's shrewdest pieces of business - and possibly the best pound for pound signing ever to arrive at Anfield.

I am so gutted. Living legend.

Ohhhhhh Sami Sami, Sami Sami Sami Hyypia...

Subject Delta    108

Sad to see him leaving, he has been a magnificent servant to Liverpool. All the best to him in the future.

Damo R.    29,658

Just noticed we play Liverpool on Saturday :rofl:

Another big loss on the way :(

Martyn    5

I don't think it will be as easy as many people are making out. West Ham are a good team.

Damo R.    29,658
I don't think it will be as easy as many people are making out. West Ham are a good team.

I don't know I think it could be 3-0/4-0 our youngsters are good against Stoke or Wigan but against the likes of Torres and Kuyt? I doubt it.

Green_Eye    49
I don't know I think it could be 3-0/4-0 our youngsters are good against Stoke or Wigan but against the likes of Torres and Kuyt? I doubt it.

We held them to 0 - 0 at Anfield...

I hope our youngsters can achieve at least that (Y)

Damo R.    29,658
We held them to 0 - 0 at Anfield...

I hope our youngsters can achieve at least that (Y)

Yeah true, I hope we can play well we are playing good football under Zola :)

Green_Eye    49

Yeah Zola has been very much what West Ham had needed for a long time now and that's to not be an absolute plonker lol

He has reshaped and disciplined our team and as a result of that Carlton Cole got his England caps and so did Uspon. Zola was and still is a very welcome addition to West Ham :)

Martyn    5

Then why haven't we romped the likes of Stoke, Fulham, Wigan 3 or 4 nil this season ;)?

tom01    2

Lmao, what joker started the pole... If spurs win the league and Benjani gets 15 goals+ I'll my eat my own.

Damo R.    29,658

That's it Stoke/Blackburn stays up!, I have to say I am surprised but Pulis is a good manager (Y)

Damo R.    29,658

Nothing gets better then conceding after 70 seconds :rofl:

Green_Eye    49
Nothing gets better then conceding after 70 seconds :rofl:

haha I am so mad that I'm actually laughing!

What a stupid goal to concede :|

Green_Eye    49

WOW somebody wake up the defence!

2 - 0 to liverpool...

Damo R.    29,658

You know when I said it would be a thrashing?....well....listen to me :p