• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Apple Event Set for Sept. 9th

Boo Berry    2,264

Yep, same here. Noticed a few more issues with that too. ;) This is a really rough release of iTunes, but I'm optimistic they address the iTunes Store links thing, and the Browser Genre thing. :)

giga    45
Why do I need an iTunes account?

It gets recommendations from the iTunes store and from other iTunes users.

zape    0
having wifi on the classic accomplishes what? certainly you can't be thinking of browsing the internet on the classic's small screen and the lack of an input interface

1: You can browse iTunes from any hot-spot or WiFi location

2: Lack of input interface? With the touchwheel, you can just spin from letter to letter. Hell if the PSP can do it, so can this.

Sad....Apple keeps milking its customers. I try to give it a chance with a bigger HDD, WiFi, and the best music quality on the iPod but no; They just wanna suck their customers' wallets dry.

sn00pie    2

Odd, my iTunes says its the latest version - but it's only at 7.7.1. However, I do get a Software Update message regarding an update to QuickTime, is that the same thing?

Boo Berry    2,264

You need the QuickTime update first before the iTunes update. It's easier to download the full installer including both iTunes and QuickTime.

BajiRav    2,137
It gets recommendations from the iTunes store and from other iTunes users.

That still doesn't explain why I need to login for Genius when I can browse the store without it.

Boo Berry    2,264

Ok, for those having multiple issues (iTunes Store links with no ability to disable them, the Genre view in the Browser with no way to turn it off, or the iTunes doesn't open maximized issue), send feedback to Apple on all three issues, maybe they'll release an update. :)

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

giga    45
That still doesn't explain why I need to login for Genius when I can browse the store without it.

10:08AM "You've got your music library, you turn on Genius -- it sends information about your library to iTunes. We can learn about your musical tastes... but completely anonymously... but we're going to combine your info with other users, and as that happens Genius gets smarter and smarter." Tee hee!

apple-lets-rock-024.jpg

apple-lets-rock-025.jpg

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277

i like the genus playlist option, i hate the sidebar though.

the grid will override Coverflow on playlists only, keeping list view on full library

39 Thieves    0

After looking at all these pics from the event...anyone not thinking Steve is sick is deluding themselves...

He looks awful. :(

BajiRav    2,137
10:08AM "You've got your music library, you turn on Genius -- it sends information about your library to iTunes. We can learn about your musical tastes... but completely anonymously... but we're going to combine your info with other users, and as that happens Genius gets smarter and smarter." Tee hee!

Not sure why that is relevant? They can send my library info all they want but why do I need to login?

giga    45
Not sure why that is relevant? They can send my library info all they want but why do I need to login?

I can't say for sure, but why is this a big deal? :s An iTunes account is free.

39 Thieves    0
I can't say for sure, but why is this a big deal? :s An iTunes account is free.

Maybe some people don't want an iTunes account?

giga    45
Maybe some people don't want an iTunes account?

I just don't see why when there's no harm in it. It's just a one time thing.

Aperture    0

You don't want to use the Genius service, don't sign up for an Apple Account, problem solved.

Chemaz    31

though it does raise a question, if its done anonymously why do u need an account? kinda makes u think what they think anonymously means....

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277
though it does raise a question, if its done anonymously why do u need an account? kinda makes u think what they think anonymously means....

its what it feeds back that does, from the sidebar you can listen to songs you dont have or purchase them, that it needs the account for

Timan    554
I can't find the option to get rid of store links in 8.0 :\

Why would I want to buy a song I already own?

Here ya go,

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...080909130752871

If you'd like to disable the iTunes Store link arrows, quit iTunes, open Terminal, and run this command:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE

Relaunch iTunes, and voila, no more arrows! To reverse this behavior, you can repeat the above command (quit iTunes first), but replace FALSE with TRUE. (Or, if you prefer, you can completely delete the added preference with defaults delete com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links).

And to remove genre use this

defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing  -bool FALSE

Cormier6083    0

Well, how is it supposed to distiguish between you and the other 65+ million users out there? The data is already there in your account, so there's no reason to make another anonymous account just for Genius.

If your that paranoid, maybe you shouldn't talk, think, or breathe, because your identity will be stolen.

Snakehn    5

Well a little bit of google here and there lead me to the firmware 2.1, nothing big, i'm looking forward for the Nike app and maybe NFS

Binary    49
Here ya go,

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...080909130752871

And to remove genre use this

defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing  -bool FALSE

Thanks!

:D

BajiRav    2,137
Well, how is it supposed to distiguish between you and the other 65+ million users out there? The data is already there in your account, so there's no reason to make another anonymous account just for Genius.

If your that paranoid, maybe you shouldn't talk, think, or breathe, because your identity will be stolen.

As I said, I don't care if they scan my library but I don't want the unnecessary hassle to sign in for such trivial feature (I have apple id). The last sentence, not really needed, not really going to say anything on it (hint: I am not).

If it is anonymous, why does it need my account info? That is my simple question. I am just curious if it is actually not anonymous...in the same vein as iTunes installer which "doesn't install" the apple software update if I tick it off during setup. ;)

giga    45
As I said, I don't care if they scan my library but I don't want the unnecessary hassle to sign in for such trivial feature (I have apple id). The last sentence, not really needed, not really going to say anything on it (hint: I am not).

If it is anonymous, why does it need my account info? That is my simple question. I am just curious if it is actually not anonymous...in the same vein as iTunes installer which "doesn't install" the apple software update if I tick it off during setup. ;)

You only sign in once... :huh: It uses your account info for the Sidebar.

Cormier6083    0

Don't come on here then and don't expect an answer that you don't like if your going to be so difficult about it. Is it that big of an inconvenience? I think your just looking for something to complain about.

It's anonymous in that it doesn't use your credit card, address etc. but merely your name to store the Genius data on the server. You ask a simple question, but you expect a complex, unnecessary answer.

Not only that, but you clearly don't like Apple, or you prefer Microsoft, whichever, so how am I supposed to believe that you not here just to nit pick and point out "flaws" to justify your cause?

screen-capture-1-10.jpg

screen-capture-2-3.jpg

Edited by Cormier6083

BajiRav    2,137
Don't come on here then and don't expect an answer that you don't like if your going to be so difficult about it. Is it that big of an inconvenience? I think your just looking for something to complain about.

It's anonymous in that it doesn't use your credit card, address etc. but merely your name to store the Genius data on the server. You ask a simple question, but you expect a complex, unnecessary answer.

Not only that, but you clearly don't like Apple, or you prefer Microsoft, whichever, so how am I supposed to believe that you not here just to nit pick and point out "flaws" to justify your cause?

screen-capture-1-10.jpg

screen-capture-2-3.jpg

:rolleyes: I actually use an iBook and iPhone 3G. So thank you very much. I know that iPhone 3G is buggy by my own experience and not because I am MS fanboy.