Neowin Forums get a Mobile skin

I would like to make a suggestion: on the forum on the top left where it says Neowin.NET it would be nice if that link pointed back to the mobile homepage instead of the forum index page, there's another link that points to the index already.

Looks great here on both Opera 9.5 Mobile and IE Mobile on my Sprint Diamond.

Keep up the great work!!

note:

on the iphone, in portrait-view, you can still scroll to the right although there is no content. you know what i mean?

it then looks like this:

photo.jpg

could be just me though. if not, this is wasted space, would be nicer if the theme would really "fit" the 320 pixels there.

=)

Yes, the iPhone is actually scaling the site 1.4x, thats what causes images to be a tad pixelated and the horizontal scrollbar. This was done as a temp fix, without it the page would be unreadable since windows mobile uses a very small font size.

alright, i see. thanks for the info.

i will use that and wait for the iphone-specific version. =)

however, as i said before, awesome work! posting from my phone right now. =)

*tries this out*

Excellent work fellas!

Guys can you make a little favicon for the iphone? if we want to add the site to our home screen we don't get a pretty neowin icon.

also you guys might want to fix the buttons:

IMG_0003.PNG

Tim has added the favicon :)

Hey not bad here!

I wonder if the InvisionBoard team will build this feature into their next version, because with all the mobile browsing increasing, it became a need, and I don't see every single developer to this!

All I would do to fix it a little :

- Add some padding on the right Edit : Wait... this is not the problem. The page is in fact too large for the iPhone, maybe I just chose a wrong page with a character string like loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, which made the page look larger, I'm not sure.

- Make the text field bigger : I would set its width to 100%, the left and right padding will do the rest of the job to make it look nice.

- Maybe add a Remember Me button when we log in, I'm not sure if it does it by default really... if it does, we don't need it. All I want is not to enter my password 50 times a year just to see Neowin's forums

- Change the colour of the text on the buttons maybe?

- Apply the same method to every single page of Neowin :p It's really great... I'm thinking about what they did with Facebook and a few other sites, it's awesome, I'm sure you guys can do something nice too !

On another note... I prefer by far the preview of the iPhone and its interface, compared to that Windows thing. Also, is it the native resolution of this Windows Mobile? I heard a few phones had crazy resolutions like the double of the iPhone. I'd be curious to see the quality of that :)

- Add some padding on the right Edit : Wait... this is not the problem. The page is in fact too large for the iPhone, maybe I just chose a wrong page with a character string like loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, which made the page look larger, I'm not sure.

no, the iphone scales the page by 1.4, this is just a temporary solution.

( :p )

nice, but i dont surf with my mobile, hoped for skin to be global :/, no matter. :), great for people who actually do
Which device do you use?

We can look into supporting a range of devices if people require this?

I think he's talking about using the skin in non-mobile browsers. For that he would have to change its useragent string.

Posting from my Jasjam (WM 6.1), and I must say, excellent job Timan and all the devs and testers (?), and everyone who made this possible. 5/5 :cool:

I used to browse the lofi forums and while that did the job, I couldn't search/reply/do anything like the full forum. Plus each page is only max 10KB, which is a great bandwidth saver. Thanks Neowin :)

Awesome the iPhone version is great...however one thing I did notice is that the main forum page does not fit 100% some of the text is too long and makes the page scroll to the right.

edit: are you guys using mod_rewrite to hide the url path? I want to try it on my PC.

Edited by KeR

nice, but i dont surf with my mobile, hoped for skin to be global :/, no matter. :), great for people who actually do
I think he's talking about using the skin in non-mobile browsers. For that he would have to change its useragent string.
Awesome the iPhone version is great...however one thing I did notice is that the main forum page does not fit 100% some of the text is too long and makes the page scroll to the right.

edit: are you guys using mod_rewrite to hide the url path? I want to try it on my PC.

The useragent string for PIE on Windows mobile is

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile m.n)

copy and paste that wherever needed. :)

And tbh, I think it does look better than the lofi version of the forums.

I expect demand a Symbian S60 3rd version made; Please remember that the iPhone is a little bit over a year old and Symbian has been here for a VERY long time; Again a Symbian version should be made before the iPhone version; Symbian has alot more marketshare than iPhone.

Thanks and great addition to the site :)

Awesome, I'll have to try this out on my Touch :) it's a shame there don't seem to be many free (if any?) wireless hot spots in Melbourne, the only place I can use the wireless is at home and work (but the internet is blocked at work, but I only use it for my internal mail).