Neowin Forums get a Mobile skin

But again....if a product has sold ALOT more than another product, wouldn't its market share be similar/the same/more?

Its common logic.

Its not "me and some others" its the majority. What ****es me off the most, is that ONE year old phone gets more attention than a whole platform that has been here for years. You are free to make a iPhone version, but you must also make a Symbian version.

Again, me and thousands of others; The Symbian platform is the most used

Again I do not believe that site for the fact that the PS3 is used more than the Wii (hell even the Xbox 360 isnt on there which has been out for years)

I wasnt saying it looked wrong, I was simply stating that if a iPhone version is made, a Symbian version must be made as well...

Timan thank you very very very much for understanding my concern :)

InsaneNutter posted the fonts and I hope you can make a Symbian version soon. Thank you for understanding :)

You're basing all your facts on your assumptions. Here are the numbers from another technical site on their mobile browser access to their site:

Apple iPhone - 79.8%

Apple iPod Touch - 16.0%

Nintendo Wii - 1.1%

HTC P3650 (aka Touch Cruise) - 0.5%

Nokia N95 8GB - 0.4%

Nokia N95 - 0.3%

HTC X7500 - 0.2%

LG VX10000 Voyager - 0.2%

Nokia E90 - 0.2%

Nokia N82 - 0.1%

Nokia E51 - 0.1%

Nokia N95-3 NAM - 0.1%

Palm Treo 755p - 0.1%

Nokia E61 - 0.1%

Sony PlayStation Portable - 0.1%

Nokia N73 - 0.1%

Nokia N81 - 0.1%

Nokia N78 - 0.0%

Nokia 6120 classic - 0.0%

Nokia E65 - 0.0%

Danger Sidekick III - 0.0%

Motorola RAZR2 V8 - 0.0%

Samsung SCH-U940 - 0.0%

Motorola Q9 - 0.0%

Sony Ericsson P1i - 0.0%

This is from Engadget, not necessarily an Apple fan site. You can read their decision to make their mobile site iPhone compatible here: http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/i-engad...-or-ipod-touch/

But again....if a product has sold ALOT more than another product, wouldn't its market share be similar/the same/more?

Its common logic.

Its not "me and some others" its the majority. What ****es me off the most, is that ONE year old phone gets more attention than a whole platform that has been here for years. You are free to make a iPhone version, but you must also make a Symbian version.

Again I do not believe that site for the fact that the PS3 is used more than the Wii (hell even the Xbox 360 isnt on there which has been out for years)

I wasnt saying it looked wrong, I was simply stating that if a iPhone version is made, a Symbian version must be made as well...

InsaneNutter posted the fonts and I hope you can make a Symbian version soon. Thank you for understanding :)

The problem with that logic is that Wii users browse the internet less than PS3 users. Same situation with S60 and iPhone users.

I can assure you that we're not just ignoring S60 users, it's just that there are more iPhone and WM users that browse the web/neowin which gave it a higher priority. Internet usage in mobile phones are dominated by the iPhone and Windows Mobile devices.

Tried it in Opera Mini, and it looks nice. However there's one small thing, it seems the spacing in the top bar is a bit larger, so "Mark Read" wraps to a new line under the top line. I'm not sure if it's a minor bug or something?

@zape wtf ... how can you DEMAND anything, especially since you haven't even signed up for a membership... meaning you haven't even given anything back to the community ... they do this for free as a hobby, it's not a job. don't be ungrateful!

wtf ... how can you DEMAND anything, especially since you haven't even signed up for a membership... meaning you haven't even given anything back to the community ... they do this for free as a hobby, it's not a job. don't be ungrateful!

Quite.

I moderate on a fairly large car forum. I give my time freely, and access to the site is given freely yet the amount of grief we get from a small minority of users about what we "should" be doing / offering is hilarious. It's typically the people who contribute NOTHING that are the most outspoken / irritating.

Its common logic.

Clearly you don't understand market share usage then?

Millions may have Symbian phones but does that make them better? No. Millions may have them but are they using them for web surfing? No.

Are people buying the iPhone to surf on the move in the best possible experience for a mobile to date? Yes

Therefore the people likely to actually use this on their phones is those with iPhones #1 and Windows Mobile combined #2. We haven't built a specific site for Nokia but as other members have stated this works fine on the Nokia browser so there's no reason to build a specific site for that system unless they start to bundle a better web browser.

well, bad luck for symbian and nokia and all the others that the iphone has a higher marketshare on mobile internet usage gained in only one year opposing to years s60 is out...

noone is ignoring symbian but paying more attention to plattforms that are more successful as far as mobile internet usage is concearned.

go and find stats and numbers that say other than the links and numbers already given...

plus... it does work fine on s60 so why complain in the first place? :huh:

^The staff is known to this problem, they are about to release an iPhone version soon.

By the way don't forget to test the skin in horizontal as well, cause right now the text is huge in horizontal mode.

^The staff is known to this problem, they are about to release an iPhone version soon.

By the way don't forget to test the skin in horizontal as well, cause right now the text is huge in horizontal mode.

Yup we are aware of that one too :) Both will be fixed for definite in the next version. The new version will be fully Apple compliant and will be published as a web app to Apple.com providing they approve it :)

Its common logic.

actually, no, it's common logic that when it comes to web browser, more sales doesn't mean more usage, especially when it's about mobile browsing.

There are much much more S40 phones sold than S60/Symbian phones, does that mean more people use the S40 browser? Nope, because most people who buy S40 phones don't browser web with it, despite there is a S40 browser pre-installed with all S40 phones sold.

It's the same with iPhone vs. Symbian phones. Every iPhone sold have a two year contract with unlimited data plan, that means everyone who buys iPhone will use it to browse the web, else wasting the unlimited data plan. Most people who buy Symbian phones, on the other hand, don't sign up unlimited data plan, so they don't use their phones to browse the web nearly as much, especially considering the extravagant prices the carriers charge for mobile browsing.

So it's common logic that iPhone has a higher browser usage share than other mobile phone platform like Symbian, Windows Mobile, S40, etc. even it's sold much less than the other platforms (especially the S40 platform, which is the no.1 mobile phone platform in the world in terms of sales)

can I make a suggestion? That when you reply to a pm, there is a simpler way of doing so, because the form field is do clouded with text on a reply it is too hard to scroll to the end of the quote to type

Last post in this thread...

You're basing all your facts on your assumptions. Here are the numbers from another technical site on their mobile browser access to their site:

Apple iPhone - 79.8%

Apple iPod Touch - 16.0%

Nintendo Wii - 1.1%

HTC P3650 (aka Touch Cruise) - 0.5%

Nokia N95 8GB - 0.4%

Nokia N95 - 0.3%

HTC X7500 - 0.2%

LG VX10000 Voyager - 0.2%

Nokia E90 - 0.2%

Nokia N82 - 0.1%

Nokia E51 - 0.1%

Nokia N95-3 NAM - 0.1%

Palm Treo 755p - 0.1%

Nokia E61 - 0.1%

Sony PlayStation Portable - 0.1%

Nokia N73 - 0.1%

Nokia N81 - 0.1%

Nokia N78 - 0.0%

Nokia 6120 classic - 0.0%

Nokia E65 - 0.0%

Danger Sidekick III - 0.0%

Motorola RAZR2 V8 - 0.0%

Samsung SCH-U940 - 0.0%

Motorola Q9 - 0.0%

Sony Ericsson P1i - 0.0%

This is from Engadget, not necessarily an Apple fan site. You can read their decision to make their mobile site iPhone compatible here: http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/i-engad...-or-ipod-touch/

Fine; But top platforms are:

iPhone

Symbian

Wii

I think its pretty clear

The problem with that logic is that Wii users browse the internet less than PS3 users. Same situation with S60 and iPhone users.

I can assure you that we're not just ignoring S60 users, it's just that there are more iPhone and WM users that browse the web/neowin which gave it a higher priority. Internet usage in mobile phones are dominated by the iPhone and Windows Mobile devices.

Why would Wii users browse the internet less than the PS3 users when it has more units sold?

@zape wtf ... how can you DEMAND anything, especially since you haven't even signed up for a membership... meaning you haven't even given anything back to the community ... they do this for free as a hobby, it's not a job. don't be ungrateful!

I don't demand anything; The Symbian community does.

Clearly you don't understand market share usage then?

Millions may have Symbian phones but does that make them better? No. Millions may have them but are they using them for web surfing? No.

Are people buying the iPhone to surf on the move in the best possible experience for a mobile to date? Yes

Therefore the people likely to actually use this on their phones is those with iPhones #1 and Windows Mobile combined #2. We haven't built a specific site for Nokia but as other members have stated this works fine on the Nokia browser so there's no reason to build a specific site for that system unless they start to bundle a better web browser.

I was talking about Market Share; Not usage.

Millions may have Symbian phones but does that make them better? No, but Symbian is a way better platform than the iPhone and you would have to be blind not to admit that; But thats for another topic but it doesnt make it better no.

Millions may have them but are they using them for web surfing? Maybe maybe not; Not everyone that has a iPhone (example in Europe) usess the internet because there are no WiFi hotspots and (in Europe) there are no data plans.

Just saying that you havent built a specific site for Nokia shows that you have no clue what Symbian is...Symbian is a platform used by several makers, not only Nokia.

well, bad luck for symbian and nokia and all the others that the iphone has a higher marketshare on mobile internet usage gained in only one year opposing to years s60 is out...

noone is ignoring symbian but paying more attention to plattforms that are more successful as far as mobile internet usage is concearned.

go and find stats and numbers that say other than the links and numbers already given...

plus... it does work fine on s60 so why complain in the first place? :huh:

It does work on S60 3rd but thats not my complain; My complain is that the iPhone and the WM get a version while Symbian doesnt.

actually, no, it's common logic that when it comes to web browser, more sales doesn't mean more usage, especially when it's about mobile browsing.

There are much much more S40 phones sold than S60/Symbian phones, does that mean more people use the S40 browser? Nope, because most people who buy S40 phones don't browser web with it, despite there is a S40 browser pre-installed with all S40 phones sold.

It's the same with iPhone vs. Symbian phones. Every iPhone sold have a two year contract with unlimited data plan, that means everyone who buys iPhone will use it to browse the web, else wasting the unlimited data plan. Most people who buy Symbian phones, on the other hand, don't sign up unlimited data plan, so they don't use their phones to browse the web nearly as much, especially considering the extravagant prices the carriers charge for mobile browsing.

So it's common logic that iPhone has a higher browser usage share than other mobile phone platform like Symbian, Windows Mobile, S40, etc. even it's sold much less than the other platforms (especially the S40 platform, which is the no.1 mobile phone platform in the world in terms of sales)

First: False that there are more S40s than S60s. The Symbian really took off with S60.

In Europe, there are no Wifi hotspots everywhere and it is not sold with a data plan.

Im done; I hope Tim really ment that hes looking out for Symbian users like they really deserve :)

Why would Wii users browse the internet less than the PS3 users when it has more units sold?

Who knows. I'd assume that the majority of Wii users are casual home users who probably don't give a damn about browsing the web with it.

The Danger Hiptop/T-Mobile Sidekick is not being detected and sent over to the mobile version. if you need it, the useragent: Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920 The numbers of course vary between devices and OS builds. But "Danger hiptop" is always the same.

Also, i hope Timan gets a nice chunk of change from the advertising revenue for the 2 skins. ;)