[Official] F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

I absolutely loved the FEAR 2 demo, loved it. Was everything done right in FEAR 1, and from what I could see made even better.

Yay, glad to hear it's shaping up to be a quality title.

Anyone know when the PC demo is due? (if at all)

Yay, glad to hear it's shaping up to be a quality title.

Anyone know when the PC demo is due? (if at all)

See my last post :) It's supposed to be announced later today (Monolith is on the west coast, so it may be a few hours). Rumor is it is supposed to be released this upcoming Thursday.

Edit: Yeah, next Thursday:

WBIE announces the complete plan for the single-player demo for F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, finally offering a release date for the Windows sample of Monolith's shooter sequel, saying it will be out alongside the console demos next Thursday, January 22. Word is: "The F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin demo will offer a glimpse of the action, terror and suspense of the full retail version of the game. Players will maneuver through bloodstained corridors and hallways from several locations in the game, as they combat through various parts of the city of Auburn, which now lays in ruin after the catastrophic explosion that rocked the finale of F.E.A.R."

Yeah, it really doesn't look like you need to have played the expansions to be up to speed on the story so don't worry if you haven't played them. It sounds like it picks up right after FEAR, since the trailer shows the huge explosion which is is obviously partly your doing.

Can't wait for the demo, nice of them to time the release after my exams ;) .

See my last post :) It's supposed to be announced later today (Monolith is on the west coast, so it may be a few hours). Rumor is it is supposed to be released this upcoming Thursday.

Edit: Yeah, next Thursday:

Thanks. (Y)

Oh, btw, I don't think that the expansions should be avoided like the plague; just don't expect much. It's basically a nice little refersh of the run-and gun aspect of FEAR, tweaked a bit and I think there are some new weapons. It's fun if shooting things is all you care about but it does wear thin after some time.

Mind you, there are better games to play if all you want to do is shoot things...

^ IMO, Extraction Point isn't too bad, but Perseus Mandate is absolutely horrible. The maps are the worst I've ever seen in a professional game, and the new weapons look like they were taken from a bad mod.

Funny since it was made by the same developer.

^ IMO, Extraction Point isn't too bad, but Perseus Mandate is absolutely horrible. The maps are the worst I've ever seen in a professional game, and the new weapons look like they were taken from a bad mod.

Exactly... Extraction Point was a decent expansion pack. It continued the story pretty well, introduced new weapons and enemies, keeping the quality of the original game. It also kept the player thinking that he is playing the game just as Monolith intended (at least for me, until Monolith officially said that they'll throw away everything that happened in the expansions). Overall, it was a good expansion.

But Perseus Mandate, as you said, was terrible. It was an average game on its own, but way to hard, same enemies over and over again, copied objects/maps/ground from F.E.A.R. and Extraction Point, almost no story at all... It was simply, far away from the quality that F.E.A.R. and Extraction Point set previously.

For F.E.A.R. 2, I would have liked if they continued the story without erasing everything that happened in Extraction Point (Alma, the little girl, meeting with her bad version and merging as one. Also, Fettel's resurrection, and other interesting things that happened in Extraction Point.), but I guess I'll just have to satisfy myself with Monolith's way of telling the story. :)

Perseus Mandate i didn't find that offensive. actually had a good time with the FEAR Files disc, it was worth it.

will get FEAR 2 when it comes out, for sure, but honestly have to agree what we've seen so far does look a whole lot like the original.

Gametrailers has some clips from the PS3 demo up:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44534.html?type=flv

After that there's one more movie that will automatically play that is also of clips from the demo.

Looks bloody nice! Graphics are beautiful.

The enemy AI looks very sloppy though [even for a Beta]. Plus the gore looks like it has been copied from Gears of War.

Actually, A.I. has always been Monolith's strong point -- especially in F.E.A.R. I'd be amazed if the A.I. wasn't top-notch.

Exactly what I was thinking. The original's AI was awesome and received praise accordingly. Let's hope they continue that trend.

Exactly... Extraction Point was a decent expansion pack. It continued the story pretty well, introduced new weapons and enemies, keeping the quality of the original game. It also kept the player thinking that he is playing the game just as Monolith intended (at least for me, until Monolith officially said that they'll throw away everything that happened in the expansions). Overall, it was a good expansion.

But Perseus Mandate, as you said, was terrible. It was an average game on its own, but way to hard, same enemies over and over again, copied objects/maps/ground from F.E.A.R. and Extraction Point, almost no story at all... It was simply, far away from the quality that F.E.A.R. and Extraction Point set previously.

For F.E.A.R. 2, I would have liked if they continued the story without erasing everything that happened in Extraction Point (Alma, the little girl, meeting with her bad version and merging as one. Also, Fettel's resurrection, and other interesting things that happened in Extraction Point.), but I guess I'll just have to satisfy myself with Monolith's way of telling the story. :)

Oh yeah, I agree with you guys and I heard that Perseus Mandate was bad so didn't bother with it. I felt that Extraction Point filled my FEAR quota quite nicely.

From the official forums, regarding release times tomorrow:

Hey all,

Just received word about the timing around our demo release...The Xbox version of the demo will be available at 2 AM PST on Xbox LIVE and sometime between 2-4 PM PST on PSN. I have no information on the PC demo at this time, but will update this thread if / when I hear anything :)...

Cheers,

-Marauder

The official FEAR website (whatisfear) has been updated, with a new movie. You can find it here

I take back what I said about it not looking scary, looks like there's some fine times to be got from that game, seems like the original video they used was just a bad one; this new video looks great.

Demo (and the game) are FREAKING awesome. Blew my expectations away seriously. The demo takes place after you are into the game a bit obviously (you have slo-mo by this time, unless they got rid of that storyline where you are given reflex stuff by surgery or whatever) and man it's some demo. Much longer than the original demo was for the first game though not super long either. Just enough lemme tell you. SPOOKY as hell. Alma shows up from time to time obviously, and at some points it's rather startling. The enviroments are much more complex, with crap exploding and moving everywhere. And you don't have to worry about the same drab office spaces either. AI seems pretty solid as well.

And you get to play in the powered shogo armor!

OMG! OMG!! OMG!!!

Wow, the demo is awesome, I thought it was pretty short, but that's just me :p

Shogo armour is great, you have to be M.A.D. not to use it :p The wraith things are scary, as well as the usual Alma appearances I cannot wait for this game now, pity the only pre-order bonuses seem to be for US only :(

One thing about the Shogo armour, I couldn't get thermal view to work? Maybe it wasn't in that mech? But if so why would it list the command for it?

So many questions ...