[Official] F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

Yeah, just made an article on it here.

But you've got to see it in motion really, lots of the special effects can't be noticed in a screenshot.

yeah the motion blur in this game is great for example.

I was surprised this played well on my laptop at all. And then I found out it was running at 640x480 hahah. I love it! It still looked good even!

Bizarre.

GO MONOLITH! BTW - To the peeps who think it was consolized or ported, the PC is their lead platform so it's not a port.

That's not true. The 360 was the lead platform -- Monolith stated that numerous times.

That's not true. The 360 was the lead platform -- Monolith stated that numerous times.

True. But Fear was based on the PC and ported to the Xbox with condemned.

I too noticed some slight hiccups which I assume is on-demand loading. I'm sure people with 10K RPM hard drives won't notice the 1-2 second slow downs.

I see what you mean, but I read a more recent article that said they had pretty equal development on all platforms. Either way, I can't find it so *shrug*.

Yeah, they said they tried to use each platform's strengths, but it's kind of obvious the PC got shafted in many respects. The widescreen support and mouse button support are two immediately obvious ones, but there's a whole lot of others listed on the official forums.

I'll give this a go when I get home from work tonight. But is it necessary to have played the first to play #2?

No, but it is highly recommended. :) You have two great deals at Amazon UK:

-F.E.A.R. Gold Edition (the original game and Extraction Point, the first expansion) = ~8 pounds.

-F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (the second expansion (standalone)) = 5-9 pounds.

So I finally got around to playing the demo and it was good. I wasn't as impressed as some people seem to be in this topic, but I still liked it. The shooting gameplay is so much better now, I'm a huge fan of curved HUD's (Metroid/Halo) it just adds that much more to the experience. I never actually found it spooky at all, in fact I was confused as hell when the "ghosts" were appearing. I wasn't sure if it was the old typical FEAR illusions or an actual enemy I was to shoot at. Didn't like that at all. In the end they were just in the way tbh and I ignored and walked past them :/

Really happy they added the sprinting, as last night when I was replaying FEAR I found it extremely lacking walking about 5mph everywhere, especially down long corridors or just navigating to switches etc, made it quite tedious only to back track. So definitely happy they added that (Y)

The mech part....eh...it was ok, nothing exciting. I hope there isn't too many parts in the game which include it, cause while it was fun for the brief time in the demo, I think it could outstay its welcome if they use it more often in the full game tbh.

Looking forward to it though.

I tried to play the demo off steam, and changed my resolution to the native res of my monitor. Afterwards the game always starts up black, and I can't seem to find a config file or anything?

Just gave it a play-through, and it seems pretty good. Wasn't scary at all however, although I can see points where it could possibly make me jump.

Not outstanding enough to make me play through the first one either, but I will definitely check it out when its released.

So I finally got around to playing the demo and it was good. I wasn't as impressed as some people seem to be in this topic, but I still liked it. The shooting gameplay is so much better now, I'm a huge fan of curved HUD's (Metroid/Halo) it just adds that much more to the experience. I never actually found it spooky at all, in fact I was confused as hell when the "ghosts" were appearing. I wasn't sure if it was the old typical FEAR illusions or an actual enemy I was to shoot at. Didn't like that at all. In the end they were just in the way tbh and I ignored and walked past them :/

Really happy they added the sprinting, as last night when I was replaying FEAR I found it extremely lacking walking about 5mph everywhere, especially down long corridors or just navigating to switches etc, made it quite tedious only to back track. So definitely happy they added that (Y)

The mech part....eh...it was ok, nothing exciting. I hope there isn't too many parts in the game which include it, cause while it was fun for the brief time in the demo, I think it could outstay its welcome if they use it more often in the full game tbh.

Looking forward to it though.

Agreed on those ghosts things... they were just annoying/stupid.

Haha, I just experienced the weirdest glitch in the demo. It happened at the part where that guy jumps you as soon as you open the door. He mutters something along the lines of "She's mine!". Well, it went pitch black when the doors opened. I knocked the guy off me despite not being able to see him. I knew this because it started that sequence where he gets sucked into that vortex of black smoke. Here's the funny part: right after that, I fall through the floor. As I'm falling, I could see the underside layout of the whole level. I fell for about 5-6 seconds and then died.

EDIT: Loading the last save files causes me to fall through the floor again so I'm forced to start back from the beginning. I managed to get a screenshot though.

fear21qz7.jpg

That is funny Anaron I had the same thing happen to me. What caused it for me was when those doors and rapidly opening and closing. Inside of waiting for them to stop moving the first time, I just plowed on through, heard that voice, then fell through the floor.

I freakin loved this demo. I'm transferring it to my main PC now.

Monolith has always made exceptional FPSes. I like theirs more than Valves, myself.

Although the Condemned series is pretty damn weird.

I also very much enjoyed the demo. To me, not as scary as the first, but the excellent visuals and sheer fun make it well worth it. Will definitely be picking this one up when released.

That is funny Anaron I had the same thing happen to me. What caused it for me was when those doors and rapidly opening and closing. Inside of waiting for them to stop moving the first time, I just plowed on through, heard that voice, then fell through the floor.

Right, that's exactly what I did. Those damn ghosts in the school freaked me out. I wanted to leave that area quickly, haha. The original didn't scare me at all but this demo already made me tense and fidgety.

Weird, I'm the complete opposite. The first time I played FEAR years ago it got a few jumps out of me, but now replaying it years later and playing the FEAR 2 demo...nothing.

Just the same as any other shooter now.

Edited by DrunknMunky