Identifying Yourself As A Lesbian Gets You Banned On XBOX Live

Don't understand why that's a fail? So you're advocating that all gays should wear a sign around their necks stating that they're gay? Become like the Jews back in the days of the Nazi party?

er... did you see the words in bold? I was just pointing out that not everyone does it. :sleep: Guess I wasn't clear enough :laugh:

Edited by 0sm3l

Don't understand why that's a fail? So you're advocating that all gays should wear a sign around their necks stating that they're gay? Become like the Jews back in the days of the Nazi party?

You're thinking WAY TOO MUCH into this. This is about expressing yourself on the internet, not real life.

So, further to the point, why does ANYONE need to express heir sexual orientation online (where you can't actually have sex)?

You're not thinking about this enough.

Who knows... maybe for the same reason people express what they like, such as cars or a kind of ice cream... maybe to connect and socialize ... to discuss things they share in common...

More to the point... why do people get bothered by it? :iiam:

This is not about the person expressing themselves. It is about the place they chose to do it. Xbox live is not a place to express your sexual orientation. Its inappropriate and unnecessary detail. Now if you put that up on a dating website you are choosing the right place to do it.

The point is XBL is not the correct forum for such information to be shared. I submit that it was put there for no reason other than for shock value or to instigate a reaction from others.

fail

How is it fail? You're on xbox live to play games, it's not a dating service. Listing your sexual orientation has no relevance at all in such a community.

Who knows... maybe for the same reason people express what they like, such as cars or a kind of ice cream... maybe to connect and socialize ... to discuss things they share in common...

More to the point... why do people get bothered by it? :iiam:

Except for in this case, that common socializing factor would be video games. Not your sexual orientation. Again...it's not a dating service.

How is it fail? You're on xbox live to play games, it's not a dating service. Listing your sexual orientation has no relevance at all in such a community.

Except for in this case, that common socializing factor would be video games. Not your sexual orientation. Again...it's not a dating service.

fail because not ALL of us go shouting we are gay around (see the bold words). Is not a dating service but funny how a few weeks ago in the featured player section of XBL they had someone who met their parter on XBL!!!

Edited by 0sm3l

Meeting somebody is a private business. I am sure people on Neowin are sending PM's about things that are not necessarily tech stuff but thats business done in private and Neowin is not a dating service either. You can not compare posting that they met somebody to posting info about your sexual orientation. Being gay does not afford you discrimination or special privileges. You are equal to everyone else around you.

fail because not ALL of us go shouting we are gay around (see the bold words). Is not a dating service but funny how a few weeks ago in the featured player section of XBL they had someone who met their parter on XBL!!!

Yeah that's like saying Neowin isn't a "dating" service. But I'm sure some people have met each other on neowin and it resulted in IRL friendships/dating.

No, it's not INTENDED to be a dating forum, things can happen.

Edited by micwa

Yeah that's like saying Neowin isn't a "dating" service. But I'm sure some people have met each other on neowin and it resulted in IRL friendships/dating.

No, it's not INTENDED to be a dating forum, things can happen.

Well duh... dating service or not it is a social network. People talk, share and socialize. I don't see how somebody writing in their profiles "I'm gay" or lesbian is bad. Is not like they are saying... Would you like to sleep with me, here's my number and address? I understand what Microsoft is trying to do is try to avoid problems but here's the thing... I hear people being vulgar all the time. I remember playing UNO and this guy started sexually harassing this girl that was only 14, and he knew she was 14. I see people ALL the time while playing COD with boobs and penises on their clans or user names. Why is this any different? Just because she's a lesbian suddenly it's wrong?

The only reason I would write I am gay on XBL would be to make gay friends, not to have sex with them. That's my point... it has nothing to do with sex!

Well duh... dating service or not it is a social network. People talk, share and socialize. I don't see how somebody writing in their profiles "I'm gay" or lesbian is bad. Is not like they are saying... Would you like to sleep with me, here's my number and address? I understand what Microsoft is trying to do is try to avoid problems but here's the thing... I hear people being vulgar all the time. I remember playing UNO and this guy started sexually harassing this girl that was only 14, and he knew she was 14. I see people ALL the time while playing COD with boobs and penises on their clans or user names. Why is this any different? Just because she's a lesbian suddenly it's wrong?

The only reason I would write I am gay on XBL would be to make gay friends, not to have sex with them. That's my point... it has nothing to do with sex!

Save it for Facebook, Myspace, IRC, Yahoo Chat..

Xbox Live is for gaming.. end of.. Its Microsofts house and they say no Sexual innuendo or related content.

Deal with it or move on.. Simple as but dont complain if they take action over you breaking the house rules.

As for reporting those kind of people, get your trusty phone with video recording and record it then fire an email to MS

Hell a digicam will do.

Save it for Facebook, Myspace, IRC, Yahoo Chat..

Xbox Live is for gaming.. end of.. Its Microsofts house and they say no Sexual innuendo or related content.

Deal with it or move on.. Simple as but dont complain if they take action over you breaking the house rules.

As for reporting those kind of people, get your trusty phone with video recording and record it then fire an email to MS

Hell a digicam will do.

Ok since you said it... then I guess they should remove the Bio, Location... the profile etc... XBL is for gaming! No need for anything else.

No, but if someone wants to put "I am gay male 20 years old" on their profile, why should YOU care?

If you see it on the profile, close it and and move on.

Or, have a rule about not putting in sexual information in a profile and those people move on.

Oops, wait, that rule already exists ;)

Or, have a rule about not putting in sexual information in a profile and those people move on.

Oops, wait, that rule already exists ;)

Create a Gamertag , avatar or use text in other profile fields that may offend other members. This includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate or relate to any of the following: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities;

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/LiveTOU.htm

I am male... so I guess that is sexual nature too? Sorry but I don't see how me writing "I am gay" can offend anyone. Please note that I wouldn't do it, but I don't see anything wrong with those that do it.

Ok since you said it... then I guess they should remove the Bio, Location... the profile etc... XBL is for gaming! No need for anything else.

I wouldnt cry if they did so...

then why do you care if someone uses it? lol

What are you talking about?

I wouldnt care IF they removed it... I use it myself but as I said before I dont go shouting out my sexual orientation?

Location isnt too bad or bio since you can see where someone is from and I can chat with fellow Koreans in Korean with gaming,

its easier to communicate tactic/strategy than to have to translate to another language and have the other guy try and intepret your pronunciation...

So it helps my gaming... Knowing whether you like men/women or not doesnt

but as I've said its Microsofts House - deal with it or buy a Wii/Playstation/dont use Live.

What are you talking about?

I wouldnt care IF they removed it... I use it myself but as I said before I dont go shouting out my sexual orientation?

Location isnt too bad or bio since you can see where someone is from and I can chat with fellow Koreans in Korean with gaming,

its easier to communicate tactic/strategy than to have to translate to another language and have the other guy try and intepret your pronunciation...

So it helps my gaming... Knowing whether you like men/women or not doesnt

but as I've said its Microsofts House - deal with it or buy a Wii/Playstation/dont use Live.

Oh you like playing with people nearby I like to make friends and play with people with which I share things in common. Like I said... the TOS says nothing about sexual orientation.

So how does gay playing with gays help in communication? You have your own language for communicating?

Comparing you using your profile for stating your sexual orientation COVERED under sexual content(Which includes innuendo) AND as something being liable to offend (Since there are live enabled regions that dont tolerate homosexuality) means you obey by Microsofts rules or get the ban.

No Ifs, Buts.. Its their house - Deal with it

If you want a good ol social - Keep it to MySpace, Facebook or whatever is popular in the west these days.

Keep XBOX/Windows Live for gaming and not a in your face gay/hetero pride bio spree

So how does gay playing with gays help in communication? You have your own language for communicating?

Comparing you using your profile for stating your sexual orientation COVERED under sexual content(Which includes innuendo) AND as something being liable to offend (Since there are live enabled regions that dont tolerate homosexuality) means you obey by Microsofts rules or get the ban.

No Ifs, Buts.. Its their house - Deal with it

If you want a good ol social - Keep it to MySpace, Facebook or whatever is popular in the west these days.

Keep XBOX/Windows Live for gaming and not a in your face gay/hetero pride bio spree

Oh please... I know Microsoft is not the problem here... they understand more than any other company what being gay is about. I just have mixed feelings about this. I know they are just protecting people. Again gay != sex. You can be gay and not have sex, you can be hetero and not have sex. Stating you are male is the same thing here, or being married... it falls under "sex". Anyways I don't see how profiles are in your face... you get to them if you want to see them... they don't pop in your face just because they want to bother you.

Anyone know what happened to the guy that called him self "Sex Stallion" I kept getting matched up with in halo 3? Oh...that's right...he got banned for openly expressing something of a sexual nature in his information...*gasp* it gets applied to EVERYONE...EQUALLY! oh gods the horror.

I have a feeling some religious nut at MS saw this and decided to take action....and MS, not wanting to get an angry influx of people against gays/lesbians, refuse to do the right thing and un-ban the person.

Yes, sounds just like the act of a fanatic Christian :x

I really throws no good light on MS that they're doing nothing about it.

How about just banning others who can't keep their racial/homosexual slurs to themselves?

Or is Microsoft afraid of losing their homophobic gamer base?

Quite obviously they are and prefer those homophobes to lesbians and gays :pinch: