Identifying Yourself As A Lesbian Gets You Banned On XBOX Live

Lels
Because being allowed to visit the person you spend your life with in the hospital is not a basic right? Not getting a job you are great at just because you are gay sounds fair? Paying taxes separately or not getting work benefits just because you are gay. It's not the same as being slaved, but we are still behind and things have to change. I believe the main purpose of parades are to show pride, being a gay parade, black parade or any of these.

All those things you listed are illegal. This doesn't mean they dont happen. The things that happened to black people were not illegal. While a purpose for a parade is to show pride, yes, why for sexual orientation? As stated before there is no heterosexual parades, and probably wouldn't be acceptable. Yes its sad people discriminate against gays/lesbians, but its not like they are the only people being discriminated against.

Jaron
- Create a Gamertag or use text other profile fields that may offend other members. This includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate any of the following: profane words/phrases, sexually explicit language, sexual innuendo, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/live/legal/legal-tou.htm

How does gay/lesbian = sexually explicit language/sexual innuendo?

Further quotes from Stepto

You've said before you won't ban someone with "420" in their Gamer Tag because it might be referring to their date of birth, not their affinity for cannabis. Couldn't "gayer" refer to his general state of being? Maybe he's just a happy guy.

You smacked my friend Muff (v.tr. to perform or handle clumsily; botch), but when I reported someone with "poon" in their Gamer Tag, nothing was done.

If "gayer" implies sexual innuendo, then 420 "hints at" illicit substances, and "poon" clearly refers to female human anatomy. You can't have it both ways.

I've reported several instances of obfuscated vulgarity (e.g. "fock"), references to rape, and other Code of Conduct violations, and then followed up over the next few weeks to see if anything was done. None of my complaints have been addressed.

You say you review every complaint. You're either not telling the whole story, or your team is incompetent.

stepto@stepto.com at 5/14/2008 5:26 PM

This may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen or heard about -- I have seen SO many other gamertags that are applicable to this situation. Even saying that, though, implies that the gamertag in question even applies to sexual innuendo. GAY, GAYER, GAYEST, or any other form of the word in no way connotates sexual activity. it's sexual orientation and worse or at least the same can be said about a plethora of other words or phrases such as (off the top of my head) pimp or ladysman or what the hell ever. This is completely bull****, and you're just going to make a whole lot of other people furious. Frankly, I want to throw away my 360 right now and call everyone I know and rally them to do the same. You know, you'd think you guys would be trying to change the image that the entire xbox live community consists of nothing but immature, homophobic, socially ignorant shut ins. It's 2008 morons. How embarassed and humiliated you guys must feel. pathetic.

stepto@stepto.com at 5/14/2008 6:47 PM

Edited by Jaron

Martyn

I think I might become a lesbian after watching the latest episode of Skins.

ScottKin
Well said. Was about to state the same thing.

I think Microsoft's problem is that their service is used widely by a bunch of immature idiots. Not suggesting that everyone on there is stupid, but that many people are. These facts exist with just about every game as well as the real world. Someone made a comment in the news section of this site that stated it pretty clearly: the masses are asses.

Give someone the freedom to mask their identity, and their true self comes out. There's a comic that states this pretty well, but I'm not the type to carry images useful when arguing a topic.

You bring-up an interesting point about the problems of having "immature idiots" on XBL.

One could surmise that amongt the population of XBL members that most of the people there are under the age of 25, and of that population that most are under the age of 14.

If we can then say that out of that set, 80% are immature enough to need to have their parents monitoring what they're doing on XBL (happens all the time), and they come across a user profile that causes this set of the population to ask their parents "What's a Lesbian"?...continue down that path and you'll get a good idea of where I'm leading you.

The whole problem is not dealing with "the asses", but getting people not to be included in that set.

--ScottKin

0sit0
In the true spirit of discussion and discourse, I'd like you to show me where the following has happened over the last 10 years:

1) Evidence (not an anecdotal story) where someone was barred from visiting their partner in the hospital because they were either Gay or a Lesbian.

2) Evidence (not an anecdotal story) where someone was prevented from being hired because they were either Gay or a Lesbian.

3) Evidence (not an anecdotal story) where someone was barred from receiving work benefits because they were either Gay or a Lesbian.

As always, I'm willing to engage in honest discourse & discussion.

--ScottKin

1- http://www.nbc6.net/news/16706566/detail.html

2- http://www.wsmv.com/news/18442419/detail.h...&psp=news#-

3- I meant partner benefits :p

bob_c_b
she wouldn't be a lesbian anymore if she got with me.. :cool:

:devil:

With a hanlde like "micro" I suspect she would be dead from laughing so hard she suffocated. :p

scaramonga

Look........who cares? Windows 7 is coming, let's all be happy! :D

0sit0
Look........who cares? Windows 7 is coming, let's all be happy! :D

lol :woot:

ScottKin
I do agree that the way they run their parades are not the best, but if you think all gay people are like the ones you see in the parade pictures... you are very wrong.

columbuspride2008.jpg

Please referr to my previous posts - I have many close friends who are one of the GLBT groups, and a close relative who passed away 5 years ago who had a shining example of a Gay couple, and quite honestly were one of the most loving and well-adjused couples I've seen in my entire life, with the exception of the relationship between my parents, and the one between my wife and I.

To think that I have any kind of animosity against GLBT people is waaaay off-base. Growing-up, I was accused by many people in High School of being Gay. Just because I didn't party, didn't drink, didn't smoke or take drugs and preferred Science, English & Music didn't mean that I was Gay, so I'm well-versed in feeling what Gay-bashing is like for the recipient - regardless of my being 100% "Straight"

:)

--ScottKin

Xerxes
Sorry I'm straight :p.

Well lesbians like girls too, so what's the problem? :p I remember a comedian saying once, he was a lesbian trapped in a man's body :rofl:

Simon

I think Microsoft has bigger problems to deal with on Xbox Live than someone stating their sexual orientation in their profile. I don't even have my voice communication turned on in games because at least 2 out of every 8 Halo players use hateful speech towards minorities (the n word, calling people jews in a hateful manner, making fun of gays/lesbians, etc.). These people never disappear, and should be banned on the spot long before this person. If a Microsoft employee were to just sit and play Halo for a little while (as I'm sure they do), they could easily ban a few hundred players in the span of a few hours.

DR3AMxCATCHER
So, by that logic, it'd be OK to ban a black person because of their color or a Jewish person because of their religion? Their sexual orientation is no different.

Your taking the post way out of context.

Binary
Please referr to my previous posts - I have many close friends who are one of the GLBT groups, and a close relative who passed away 5 years ago who had a shining example of a Gay couple, and quite honestly were one of the most loving and well-adjused couples I've seen in my entire life, with the exception of the relationship between my parents, and the one between my wife and I.

To think that I have any kind of animosity against GLBT people is waaaay off-base. Growing-up, I was accused by many people in High School of being Gay. Just because I didn't party, didn't drink, didn't smoke or take drugs and preferred Science, English & Music didn't mean that I was Gay, so I'm well-versed in feeling what Gay-bashing is like for the recipient - regardless of my being 100% "Straight"

:)

--ScottKin

LOL

You have NO (see:0) idea of what it's like being 'gay bashed'.

Try having your head knocked in or being killed.

People call you gay in school, (most likely just being mean or funny, not really thinking you're gay) and you think thats equal to a gay bashing.

What a riot.

On Topic: It was a so-called violation of the ToS, not discrimination.

Even though I don't agree that it was a violation per-se.

dead.cell
LOL

People call you gay in school, (most likely just being mean or funny, not really thinking you're gay) and you think thats equal to a gay bashing.

What a riot.

I know what you mean. I've been killed at least 7 times already. Wish the respawn time was lower.

Schwa83

I am really shocked at the amount of ignorant posts in this thread. Has any person who stated along the lines of "tired of gays" and "in your face" actually put themselves in a gay young person's shoes? Have you thought about what it feels like when your mother says she already has a daughter and didn't want another one. Or watch your great relationship with your sister fall apart. Or have your father tell you that you are no better then a murderer or an alcoholic and you are going to hell. Or listen to your pastor try to tell you that this "choice" you've made is a perversion of Satan. When you are a gay young person growing up and feel the pressure coming down at you from all sides, you will understand why there are pride parades, and why it matters to say it out loud. People who encourage "Don't ask, Don't tell" only add to that frusteration. Being gay is not simply a preference, it is a part of who you are, and when you are told "Don't ask, Don't Tell" it automatically feels like a judgement or something to be embarassed about.

In regards to Microsoft, they could have handled this more tactfully. While I can read the TOS easily, and see where it could require action, banning is too severe. A warning would have been more then enough. And the BS about "family oriented" can go right out the door. Do people NOT think there are gay and lesbian families? Would it be that harmful for kids to actually UNDERSTAND that the world is diverse?

ScottKin

1) Ok - good example! The Hospital was clearly wrong, but please note this:

JMH's visitation policy allows visitors to see a patient once he or she is medically stabilized

One can surmise that a Cerebral Aneurysm serious enough that it would put the patient in such a delicate condition that anyone being in or entering the room where her partner was in could possibly be in the way for the staff to administer needed care and a probable hinderance to medical staff. I know that this is a tough one, but remember that the patient's rights and safety trump her partner's well-intentioned desire to be near to the person she loved.

2) Even better! Sadly, this guy was at the mercy of someone who expressed their religious beliefs into their work-ethic. I hope that he (the guy who was fired) gets a nice settlement!

3) Most States today allow for Partner Benefits, and if the company that you work for doesn't, then remind them that it's illegal for them to not provide those benefits. I'm pretty sure that the States and Federal agencies would be more than happy to speak to them.

These were all top-notch examples of individual businesses' lack of properly taking care of their workers who are in same-sex relationships. Yes, it is illegal discrimination...yes, it is wrong...yes, it shouldn't be tolerated and it's unfair to same-sex couples. The laws are already on the books for 95% of what the GLBT community are wanting in the way of these benefits, so use those laws to your advantage.

In regards to earlier comments by someone else about Income Tax Filing; The wheels of the IRS are slow to turn. Actually, in many cases you may get a larger return or a lesser tax burden by filing seperately - since you're filing separately, both might qualify for "Head of Household" deductions...but IAMATA (I Am Not A Tax Attorney) or TP (Tax Preparer).

--ScottKin

ScottKin
LOL

What a riot.

I'd say being beat-up at school at least once every week or so from 3rd to 9th Grades would qualify as "having (my) head knocked-in". If I was killed, would I be posting? The bashing even extended to after-school as well; the breaks on my bike were suspiciously messed-with, causing me to have an accident with my bike that sent me flying over my handlebars 10ft and breaking my sternum and dislocating my jaw right before I entered High School - so much for playing Football (broken Sternums hardly ever heal properly)

The level of abuse (which I will not go into) I received at school went to the point of having a meeting with my Counselor, Boy's Dean, School Principal & Vice-Principal and School District Superintendant.

Bear in mind that I graduated from High School in 1978 (yeah, I'm that old!)

So, how about asking some questions before you start running at the mouth? We're having some honest dialogue and you have to resort to snide comments? How nice!

--ScottKin

basix
LOL

What a riot.

Whatever! You can't and don't choose how someone thinks of or treats you. If in their head, they believe you to be gay and act on it, it's bashing. Just because I'm straight dosn't eliminate me from some peoples limited vision.

ScottKin
I know what you mean. I've been killed at least 7 times already. Wish the respawn time was lower.

Hehheh - PERFECT Response!

+1,000,000

:woot:

--ScottKin

Whatever! You can't and don't choose how someone thinks of or treats you. If in their head, they believe you to be gay and act on it, it's bashing. Just because I'm straight dosn't eliminate me from some peoples limited vision.

Hey - we should start our own self-help group!

"We're not Gay - REALLY!"

--ScottKin

basix
Hey - we should start our own self-help group!

"We're not Gay - REALLY!"

--ScottKin

While unfortunately there is not percievable help for my condition, I can make us bumper stickers :)

OT?: Why has the topic changed? It smacks of mockery now :(

Binary
I'd say being beat-up at school at least once every week or so from 3rd to 9th Grades would qualify as "having (my) head knocked-in". If I was killed, would I be posting? The bashing even extended to after-school as well; the breaks on my bike were suspiciously messed-with, causing me to have an accident with my bike that sent me flying over my handlebars 10ft and breaking my sternum and dislocating my jaw right before I entered High School - so much for playing Football (broken Sternums hardly ever heal properly)

The level of abuse (which I will not go into) I received at school went to the point of having a meeting with my Counselor, Boy's Dean, School Principal & Vice-Principal and School District Superintendant.

Bear in mind that I graduated from High School in 1978 (yeah, I'm that old!)

So, how about asking some questions before you start running at the mouth? We're having some honest dialogue and you have to resort to snide comments? How nice!

--ScottKin

And this is because they thought you were gay? Or they were just bullying?

Now you're back-tracking.

Your original post I quoted said nothing of beatings you endured which is why I said what I said.

And the 'killing' part of my post was referring to the many gay people who have been killed for being homosexual.

I am gay and have been beaten for it.

I don't appreciate people pretending a few bullying incidents equals anything close to gay bashing.

I quoted the person for what he said. To me it sounded as if he was maybe called gay a few times, which I in turn said is not anything equal to a gay bashing.

Ayepecks
That's not the point.

Look at it this way: why would anyone need to divulge this information in a game? What's the point of telling anyone their sexuality, race, etc.?

Agreed.

t0mbi

haha just looked at Kushan's XBL profile..he's crazy they are just going to ban him like they did to that chick.. it's suicide.

basix
To me it sounded as if he was maybe called gay a few times, which I in turn said is not anything equal to a gay bashing.

Agreed if that's the case.

Rohdekill
Isn't it like saying a restaurant can refuse to serve food to a black person just because some of the people at that restaurant feel disrupted by that guy because of the color of his skin !!! According to the above logic the restaurant has the right to do so, its his service and they have the right to ban anyone from using it !! But the thing is he can't refuse to serve him just because he is black, just because they can't refuse to let her play just because she is a lesbian ....

like I said, there is a law protecting against sex (not orientation), religion and race descrimination. However, I know of no law protecting against descrimination of one's sexual orientation.

You're comparrison is not equal due to the current laws in place.