[Official] Need for Speed - SHIFT

yeah, i dont wanna drive a race car in "closed circuit", all the other games offer ONLY this.

give us M5, M3, 911 turbo, Ferrari, some classics (not just heavy american ones :-| ) like 1974 Porsche Carrera RS...

damn!

even the freeroam is getting boring now.

the quick race in NFS5 was lot better, you could use those point to point tracks as free roam :p

i think SHIFT will be better than atleast the Carbon, PS, UC :p coz its made by the pro's

from this gamepro preview,

To remain true to an authentic driver's experience, crashing your car will slam the camera around and cause your vision to blur and become hypersensitive to light depending on the strength of the impact. The disorienting brain concussion effects only last for brief moment...

it looks like its goin to be more like EvoGT :p

in that game, when you crash, the camera goes blurry for few seconds. & you lose your hearing for a brief moment:p.

btw, shift is shifting focus to real GT racing, why not add "Safety Car" & track marshals :D. most importantly pit stops, tyre choises & changing weather. :devil: (on longer races i.e.)

even if EA just did a soft relaunch for the nfs5:porsche(just repack it and sell it nothing else.) at the same time as the launch of the new title. im sure that porsche will sell more than the new one. :D

porsche just was one of the best of the NFS series. and their main sellin points were the evolution mode and the factory driver mode.killer combination.

^whoa another NFS5 fan.

i likes you :D

NFS5 has the best career mode.

the Factory cars gifted to us, were just awesome & aquiring license = :devil:

the details in that game is still the benchmark for other race titles.

option to turn on/off the lights/turn indicators, damge making it harder to control the car...........

Factory Driver missions were so engaging :D

I agree with the others about the needs for cops. Why can't EA just listen to the people who play these games, all we want are epic police chases in fast cars doing 100+ mph weaving through traffic, slap these graphics on it and call it NFS: Get away. I don't see why they can't have tracks AND free worlds, doesn't make sense. Just give us what we want, it's not that hard!

I'm gonna go play Wheelman. First go and they hit the experience of high octane police chases on the head of the nail. NFS have been so dissapointing for the past 3-4 games, does anyone seriously expect it to get better, with this?

Sorry, but i think NFS is just dead and no more than a sports game that gets recycled and churned out every year.

looks good, i hope it doesn't turn out like "Pro Streets"

Yea, Pro Street wasnt good, EA shudn't make games like that...

nfs for me was racing from cops. this is not an nfs.

Same here, remember the good'ol days with NFS2SE. NFS has always been about arcade style gameplay running from cops in supercars :D .

Still think NFSMW and NFS2 was best, Underground and Undercover wasn't too bad either. If it's going to be GT racing, I'd rather play GRID or Toca :(

Still think NFSMW and NFS2 was best, Underground and Undercover wasn't too bad either. If it's going to be GT racing, I'd rather play GRID or Toca :(

You took the words right out of my mouth. My first NFS was NFS 2 Special Edition. Driving the Ford Indigo or the McLaren in "Outback" or "Hollywood" reminds me of the good times when I was an early gamer. NFS: Most Wanted was fantastic except it became really repetitive and boring at the last three stages of the game. It simply became a "hit more police cars, get more bounty, drive in circles to attract more, hit a higher speed in front of cameras" block instead of a varied style that would have felt less copy and paste.

It looks like Shift is just going to be a GRID + Forza 2 + Burnout all in one.

Sorry to be a hater but NFS will NEVER be a sim racing game, I enjoyed it back in the days before it was underground.

Sorry to be a hater but NFS will NEVER be a sim racing game, I enjoyed it back in the days before it was underground.

I have to agree...

and if they turn this into a SIM it better be as good or even better than any TOCA or GRID or even aiming higher, GTR 2 which I highly doubt it.

So I guess their better option is to do a GOOD ARCADE game...

I have to agree...

and if they turn this into a SIM it better be as good or even better than any TOCA or GRID or even aiming higher, GTR 2 which I highly doubt it.

So I guess their better option is to do a GOOD ARCADE game...

toca & grid are same :p

& grid is not a sim. its an arcade, a tough to control arcade :D

I agree with the others about the needs for cops. Why can't EA just listen to the people who play these games, all we want are epic police chases in fast cars doing 100+ mph weaving through traffic, slap these graphics on it and call it NFS: Get away. I don't see why they can't have tracks AND free worlds, doesn't make sense. Just give us what we want, it's not that hard!

That's exactly what I've been saying about NFS these last few years...

what? nfs isn't just about cops have you even played the ps one and older titles(but they were fun when they had cops) i hope this game returns to the roots

Is it going to look as nice, play as well, and be as deep as GRID? I doubt it. But at least I didn't wince when I watched the trailer, which is more than I can say with Pro Street, and Undercover.

I am as usual cautiously optimistic.

Damn straight! They need to bring cops back and "Wild mode" from NFS2SE, damn was that fun! :happy:

NFS Shift: Ian Bell Interview at AutoSimSport Magazine

In the latest issue of the onlinemagazine AutoSimSport you can find an interview with Ian Bell, the head of the Slightly Mad Studios, which are developing Need for Speed Shift.

Bell talks about the cirumstances, how SMS emerged out of Blimey! Games and the relations to the insolvent publisher 10Tacle.

He also reveals some details about Need for Speed Shift:

The engine for Shift was built up from the ground to enable the complex physic-effects. SMS wants to create authentic racer out of NFS Shift, but different than Forza: Forza isn't the direction we're going in.

Excerpt:

Until this point, sim equaled hard, and arcade equaled easy on handling. The team felt that this was more a case of the more realistic games not handling properly, as opposed to tims being hard. I drove Forza and Gran Turismo, and real cars don't handle like that. Real cars don't skid at 30mph and keep skidding at speed. Tyres, when properly interacting with ashpalt grip/slide/slide/slip/regrip and so forth, and with driver input, are very controllable, this goes especially for race cars with slicks. Not only have sim games not compensating for the lack of g forces etc. but they've been making the cars spin out too easily. If any pit crew gave a real race driver a car that handlet like that, he/she would takie it right back and tell them to fix it.

I'll say it here ... when the team were at Blimey!, they did probably more than 99 percent of the development on GTR2. GTR2 was too hard. It was too hard because the physics engine was lacking in some areas, wasn't measuring enough paramters quickly enough and in the correct way. Real cars are easy to drive, slow and fast ... take any car on a track with some cheap slicks, and you can abuse it to hell and back, slide all over the place, but under steering and throttle control. You need a skid pan to induce the leery spins I see in some so-called realistic racing games. You'll see what I mean you play SHIFT. It's a generation ahead in this area.

Additionally Ian Bell explains that Shift will have three difficulty modes: a default mode for the masses, who enjoy OGR/GT5 etc and a novice mode for beginners. There is also a pro mode for the hardcore gamers.

He also mentions a little bit about the cars and tracks of Need for Speed Shift:

We have a lot of very interesting cars, very little filler or fluff. So you've read 80 cars or so. That's just the bases. I can't tell you anything beyond the cars that have been shown. Audi RS4, Porsche GT2, Zonda, and so forth. We ahve 18 or so real world 'locations' with many famous circuits among them. And of course variations for some of those on top.

You can read the complete interview here:

AutoSimSport Magazine - Volume 5, Issue 1

when will this asswipe stop talking about Blimey, 10tacle?

Porsche GT2 :devil:

18 real world location? let me guess 70% of them are based in USA & street circuits? :|

The only good things that seems to be coming out of this game is that it's getting a brand new engine (finally!) and it's got a new developer, so it has potential to be actually quite good. Thing is though it seems like it's gonna be a Forza/GRID clone and personally that isn't what I'm looking for in a NFS. This might be the first decent NFS in quite a few years I actually don't buy :laugh:

I think it looks great but from the teaser on XBL there are some serious framerate issues that need to be fixed before release.