[Official] Need for Speed - SHIFT

Regardless of what they do with this game I will still buy it and try it out. (As I did with almost every other NFS game ever made)

I really don't think they will be able to compete with GT5. Polyphony Digital builds games that literally immense automotive libraries... there is no way any team at EA is willing to put that kind of time and effort into one game, they're too busy working on 10 projects simultaneously.

I don't mind the fact that they're losing the cop chases. Whenever they try to implement cops and mimmick the old successful games they had they just make a joke out of it. (NFS Undercover most recently)

The trailer didn't look too bad but the crashes looked a bit over dramatic.

It seem to be a bit too simple and bland, doesn't seem to have anything unique, something that stands out from the rest.

I too hope it doesn't turn out like Pro Street.

It's there ment to be two other NFS games coming out soon?

I heard that there's going to be three in total.

I remember just how much of an impact Need for Speed had on me when it launched on the 3DO back in the 90's. I thought it was one of the most awesome games I'd ever seen. I don't think any subsequent NFS title has ever had that impact on me!

I wish they could recapture the magic! Anyone else remember this? :) ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIsS3bRviLA

D?j? vu, anyone? This feels so familiar. EA releases a cool teaser/trailer for a Need for Speed game. It makes you want to play the game. Finally, the time comes when you buckle under the pressure and you slowly pull your wallet out to pay for the game. You go home and insert the game disc. You play, and play, and play some more. It isn't until an hour or so in the game that you realize EA just stole your money. The reality of the game's "badness" settles in. Yet you sit there with that same old taste left on the back of your tongue. That's right, you got pwned by EA yet again. It's just disappointment after disappointment. Honestly, EA should just can the Need for Speed series. They're putting it to shame!

NFS Shift: Official website online

The official website of Need for Speed Shift launched, together with the official discussion boards. You can find the webpage at shift.needforspeed.com.

It doesn't have much content, but hopefully it get's filled with more stuff about NFS Shift in the next weeks. :)

http://shift.needforspeed.com

-----

nfs uc website was lot better :p

I finally watched some videos on Live that showed actual game-play footage, and I have to say WOW. I was very impressed with the visuals and the driving looked really tight.

However, I am not excited at all considering they are saying they are taking away what I feel always made Need For Speed a great series... That is the fact it is definitely an Arcade Racer. You do not have the drive the perfect line to avoid crashing, and you could indeed drive over the top and not pay the consequences for it. I believe there are already enough simulation games out there, Forza & GT are really all I personally need if I want that, and besides Burnout, NFS has always been the other great Arcade Racer.

So not sure how to feel about this honestly. All I do know is my Wireless Microsoft Racing Wheel will finally get some use.

The only good things that seems to be coming out of this game is that it's getting a brand new engine (finally!) and it's got a new developer, so it has potential to be actually quite good. Thing is though it seems like it's gonna be a Forza/GRID clone and personally that isn't what I'm looking for in a NFS. This might be the first decent NFS in quite a few years I actually don't buy :laugh:

Scratch that, I'm completely sold on Shift now :D If this game lives up to what they are claiming, it could give GRID/Forza/GT a run for their money. I've done some research on it and I'm blown away by it, I really am. This game has offically made it to my "must have" list, bring it on :D

The screens are promising but it was about time. Need for Speed was a great game until they started updating it within a year bringing hardly any updates which we were waiting for. This new game has some nice details but I hope they can expand them all and make NFS a great game again.

I may buy it, I may not. However, I'm anxious for the first reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

NFS Shift: Interview with Producer Jesse Abney

The Q&A with Need for Speed Shift Producer Jesse Abney on Needforspeed.com goes into round two. Here is a short excerpt with the most important facts from the interview:

Are there cops in the game?

No. The Need for Speed franchise is now comprised of three pillars that represent Action, Simulation, and Arcade. SHIFT is an event based track racing simulation. Slightly Mad Studios are not creating a sterile simulator however, rather a fun and authenticate race designed to replicate the True Driver’s Experience.

Is the gaming being released on PS2?

No. SHIFT is a ‘next-generation’ experience and the tech requirements of Slightly Mad’s simulator exceed the power available with the PS2.

Can you tell me if Need for Speed SHIFT will include the use of NOS in the cars?

Nitrous will be a performance component to upgrade. It will also be tunable, but you should expect it to operate more like professional racing and not action racing.

Does Shift include Formula 1 cars too?

We can’t answer this just yet as we’re not talking about the car lists at the moment but we do have some surprises and firsts for the Need for Speed series planned. Expect to hear about some of these very soon!

Will Drift be available as a race event in SHIFT?

Yes, Drift is a key aspect to our career event structure and is supported by the physics engine.

Will be in Need for Speed: Shift any licensed custom parts?

I believe so yes. It should feature a long and extensive list of aftermarket parts that mirror real world professional racing.

NFS Shift: Interview with Producer Jesse Abney @ Needforspeed.com

http://nfsplanet.com/index2.php?lang=eng#4942

Its about time the PC got a simulator in the same veign as Gran Turismo instead of the hardcore simulators which arent fun to play.

Are there cops in the game?

No. The Need for Speed franchise is now comprised of three pillars that represent Action, Simulation, and Arcade. SHIFT is an event based track racing simulation.

Well, it'd be nice if someone worked on a game that did feature cops like the older NFS. Its obvious they wanted to use the Need for Speed name to get their new games out, and I hope Shift is heading in the right direction, but they could create a spinoff where the highlight is racing away from cops.

• 2 weeks later...

NFS Shift: Hands-On at Gamespot

The onlinemagazine Gamespot had the chance to get their hands on two different versions of Need for Speed Shift at a press event in San Francisco. One was a more "modern" version of a race with a McLaren F1 and the other one was old-fashioned with old 1970 Nissan Skylines, which could remind you a little bit of NFS Porsche:

Excerpt:

So, though slick graphics were on display in both version of Need for Speed: Shift, the contrast between the two games was felt in the cars and on the road. One version of the game featured a three-lap race at Willow Springs raceway in the central California desert. Unlike such tracks as Laguna Seca and Road America, Willow Springs is a lesser-known American racing gem full of twisting turns, some high-speed corners, and fun elevation changes. The car on-hand was a race-trim McLaren F1, one of the more powerful cars in Shift, with a beastly amount of power and tight, responsive steering. Despite its power, the car wasn't a complete nightmare to handle thanks to a ton of driving assists toggled on to help contain the mighty McLaren. Traction control, braking assist, and the now-standard color-coded dynamic driving line made completing the three-lap race fairly easy, and some low-end AI racers were of very little challenge.

Compare that to the other station running the game, which featured a race full of 1970s-model Nissan Skylines running a street race in Tokyo. In contrast to the McLaren race at Willow Springs, nearly every assist seemed to be toggled off in this version of the game, resulting in a Need for Speed game that felt completely unlike any other, save maybe for the classic Porsche Unleashed. Here was a car that was slow off the line, loose in the corners, prone to drift at the drop of a hat, and completely uninterested in making up for your driving mistakes should you lose momentum through a turn. Here, too, were unforgiving and demanding race opponents, not at all afraid of bullying you in corners or ashamed of leaving you in the dust if you couldn't keep up. This was about as far from traditional rubber-band Need for Speed-style racing as can be imagined, and it felt very good, even if we did get our proverbial butts handed to us.

The article also mentions the blur-effects and the frame rate, which seems to be quite stable at 30fps.

You can read the complete article under the following link.

Additionally Gamespot made a video-interview with Jesse Abney at the EA Spring Showcase 2009. In this interview he talks about the development for PC, the career and the features, which create the driving experience in the game. Also the damage will play its role in the game and will have impact on the performance of the cars. Better see yourself:

NFS Shift Hands-On @ Gamespot

Interview with Jesse Abney @ Gamespot

http://www.nfsunlimited.net/ (Source)

well for NFS PU fans like me, its good nooz so far :D

some screeens http://nfsplanet.com/nfsshift_screens.php?lang=eng&id=1

M3 is there :woot:

vecg9v.jpg

27ybv4k.jpg

Edited by san.W10

As the guy above said,its a GRID ripoff.

NFS for me achieved its zenith on that last police chase of some 5 min or so in NFS MW,best 5 min of my gaming life,till that time.

Then came GRID and NFS took dope.Burnout reminded me of MW as well, weirdly.

NFS Shift: Interview with Jesse Abney @ Gametrailers

Gametrailers also could get Jesse Abney in front of their camera and asked him some questions about the upcoming Need for Speed Shift.

The most interesting part of the video is the announcement, that a demo of NFS Shift is coming this summer! As you may remember, last year EA didn't release a demo of NFS Undercover, because they wanted to concentrate on the development of the game.

You can find the video interview here:

Interview with Jesse Abney @ Gametrailers

source http://nfsplanet.com/en

Burnout is crap.

grid is polished nfs ps :p

the only thing i liked most about grid was, when you come out of a tight corner , the car has the tendency to do power slide & to a degree its controllable :D

NFS PS could do it better, but its overall physics was crap.

the other game (i've played) that does it perfectly is CMR 04 and 05, NFS PS :p

in cmr 04 /05, you can get your car side ways 20-30 meteres before the hairpin & then do the corner....... its better watch this video

whats shown in this video can be done in cmr04 & 05.

i'd love to do that in grid 2 :p

grid becomes boring coz we cant do these kinda things which are obviously more fun than crashing & watching its replay.

Edited by san.W10

As the guy above said,its a GRID ripoff.

NFS for me achieved its zenith on that last police chase of some 5 min or so in NFS MW,best 5 min of my gaming life,till that time.

Then came GRID and NFS took dope.Burnout reminded me of MW as well, weirdly.

Its not a GRID ripoff at all, GRID is garbage the cars handle like crap they are all floaty, SHIFT is more simulation than arcade.

I really miss nfs 3 ,nfs 4 and nfs 5. I'm sick of the so called "tuned" cars. Don't know if it's just me but if I had a nice bmw you will never catch me dead tuning that car.Vinyls,enormous exhausts etc aren't my type.They don't make that car look any better. And back in the days of nfs 3 or nfs 4 it was a real pleasure to drive those cars.

Back then developers cared less about the money and focused on the actual gameplay and overall feeling ;).

Now the driving experience is pretty much the same from nfs undeground onwards.