Windows 7 Build 7057 x86

upgrade or fresh install?

I think it is somewhat obvious that he did an upgrade. I upgraded as well and have not experience any problems at all. It is slightly slower as others have mentioned, but this is a consequence of not doing a clean install, especially on a beta build. Kind of lazy right now to do a clean install with RC so close to being released and don't want to do it twice.

Just installed, works great. It's been a little slow at start up but I don't know if that's to do with it not being genuine, but it is now so I don't know. But the new icons are great, and so's the new logon screen. All good so far.

Windows Media Player always crashes after sometime from playing it for 15 minutes or so, anybody has any idea what causes that ?

NO! YOU ARE NOT ADMINISTRATOR if UAC IS TURNED ON!

When UAC is on you are LIMITED USER!

If you are experienced enough for the highwire, then simply enable administrative account, re-login as administrator, copy your files over, then delete your named user account. Now you have full administrator rights yet can keep User Accounts set on first level to run gadgets. And you will never see another UAC nag box :p

Edited by gregrocker

the first 2 times i rebootet and kept windows of explorer, internet-explorer and mspaint open, windows 7 restored all those after reboot. which surprised me and i liked this a lot, thought it was a new feature.

now it doesnt do that anymore. i googled and found out that already under windows xp there was an option to let explorer restore all previously opened windows after reboot, however i cant find this option under win7. ideas?

Never heard of apps being restored before, but the option to "Restore previous folder windows at login" is no longer available in...

Organize > Folder and Search Options > View

:(

Anybody know a fix for this?

Just like 7048, this build works on half my machines and bugs out the other two:

On PC, the explorer.exe constantly stops working and restarts. I found a registry fix for this here: http://www.webtlk.com/2009/02/18/how-to-fi...g-in-windows-7/

On other PC, the internet stops working periodically with no indication in systray. No troubleshooters help. I try to restart and it freezes on logging off. Hard shut down>restart and it works again for awhile. This is unsolved, but exactly as it did in 7048. I tried clean installs to partition & full hd, custom overwrites and upgrade installs - none have changed the situation. Drivers fine.

On a 528mb HP 510 business laptop, I have edited graphics and services down to where it idles at 192mb ram! If you can afford it, turn off Offline Services, Windows search, Security Center (annoying balloons), Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and WMP Sharing Service. Even adding best low-ram virus scan Avast I am still idling at 250mb which is half my ram. This is better than XP!

Edited by gregrocker

I think it is somewhat obvious that he did an upgrade. I upgraded as well and have not experience any problems at all. It is slightly slower as others have mentioned, but this is a consequence of not doing a clean install, especially on a beta build. Kind of lazy right now to do a clean install with RC so close to being released and don't want to do it twice.

Negative. I never upgrade my OS. Backup and Clean install of 7057. I wiped all 3 partitions on the main disk I loaded it on myself. I just went back to 7000 cause everything works for me now. I can wait until they kick out RC(1) before I back up and clean install that one.

Can anyone in 7057 confirm the lack of right click ability on the start menu items?

I was wondering, It made a map with my old windows files. In these were also my documents, pictures,music ... I moved these to their real windows 7 locations but can I now safely remove the windows old map? It has old software files and sorts. I'm gonna have to install al kinds of stuff so I do not need them to take in that much space, is it safe to delete this "windows old" file?

thx in advance

Yes, on a custom overwrite install it moves all of the files from your previous install to windows.old. After plucking your files outta there you can delete it after working thru a few annoying prompts. This is basically an entire old operating system sitting there in your files. You can even run some programs off of it but I doubt whether that is a good idea.

Can anyone in 7057 confirm the lack of right click ability on the start menu items?

All items in the start menu have a context menu when I right click on them.

Just installed, works great. It's been a little slow at start up but I don't know if that's to do with it not being genuine, but it is now so I don't know. But the new icons are great, and so's the new logon screen. All good so far.

Slow boot in 7057: look for GoogleUpdate.exe process - kill the process and rename GoogleUpdate.exe to GoogleUpdate.ex_ - this should decrease boot time by 30 seconds at least. Now Google is the culprit!

Activate with the beta key to get the genuine logo

Slow boot in 7057: look for GoogleUpdate.exe process - kill the process and rename GoogleUpdate.exe to GoogleUpdate.ex_ - this should decrease boot time by 30 seconds at least. Now Google is the culprit!

Activate with the beta key to get the genuine logo

Yep, activated with Beta key and changed the file extension. We'll see next time it starts.

On the agreement I had to check it said RC. I saw nothing that said Pre RC. It also expires on 03/01/2010.

x.png

Funny, my license agreement at download of 7057 says that it expires in June of 2010. Wonder why? Is there a place to check it once downloaded?

Funny, my license agreement at download of 7057 says that it expires in June of 2010. Wonder why? Is there a place to check it once downloaded?

Could it be because of the upgrading rather than clean install? Just wondering. I can't see the expiration date anymore since the watermark remover that I used did something to it.

Just like 7048, this build works on half my machines and bugs out the other two:

On PC, the explorer.exe constantly stops working and restarts. I found a registry fix for this here: http://www.webtlk.com/2009/02/18/how-to-fi...g-in-windows-7/

On other PC, the internet stops working periodically with no indication in systray. No troubleshooters help. I try to restart and it freezes on logging off. Hard shut down>restart and it works again for awhile. This is unsolved, but exactly as it did in 7048. I tried clean installs to partition & full hd, custom overwrites and upgrade installs - none have changed the situation. Drivers fine.

On a 528mb HP 510 business laptop, I have edited graphics and services down to where it idles at 192mb ram! If you can afford it, turn off Offline Services, Windows search, Security Center (annoying balloons), Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and WMP Sharing Service. Even adding best low-ram virus scan Avast I am still idling at 250mb which is half my ram. This is better than XP!

OK apparently the first fix also solves the second problem as well. It is a bug whose fault lies with the SQM Client which is part of the Customer Experience Improvement Program. It seems that ANY process that calls WinSqmStartSession in ntdll.dll will start crashing when MachineThrottling is enabled in the registry, which seems to happen as a result of CEIP running.

Could it be because of the upgrading rather than clean install? Just wondering. I can't see the expiration date anymore since the watermark remover that I used did something to it.

click on start orb, type winver and hit enter to expiry. ;)

click on start orb, type winver and hit enter to expiry. ;)

Thanks. Well the license agreement def said June 2010 but the winver says Marchh 2010, so there.

Windows Media Player seems a little borked on this version - however it could be just this install. I was halfway through adding music to it and it got so far, and crashed. Now every time I load it up, it lasts at best 10 seconds, and then crashes again. Its just WMP, no network services are running (have no internet right now, on a corporate network etc!)

Reinstalling W7 7057 x86, just in case it was a little glitch. Anyone else have this problem?

Besides that and the desktop.ini problem, which is nothing to worry about, this build looks and feels great!

Ugh build 7057 is bugging the crap out of me now it's started to lag, programs randomly freezing and is just becomming generally annoying as ****.

I've noticed that Windows 7, build 7000 up to this one has got this issue. If I try a save a screenshot or a file in a programme and point it to the desktop, I get the attached message.

I have to click ok, save again and overwrite the original. How can I stop it?

I'm running the programme as admin.

post-139232-1237162055.png

I've noticed that Windows 7, build 7000 up to this one has got this issue. If I try a save a screenshot or a file in a programme and point it to the desktop, I get the attached message.

I have to click ok, save again and overwrite the original. How can I stop it?

I'm running the programme as admin.

Google "enable administator account" and run the cmd as administrator. Once it is enabled, you have the choice to turn it back off when you're done, or use it as your primary account which is recommended only for experienced users. If you choose to do the latter, then log off and log back in as administrator, transfer your files over from your user name account, then delete your user name account in User Accounts>Manage so that you won't have a log on screen every time you startup.

@gregrocker: Did you managed to solve the internet stop working periodically issue? Sometimes my internet just get cuts off too and when i do ma "ping www.google.com" it will say unreachable or some other error message. But then if i wait for awhile say maybe 5 - 10 minutes. it will just come back on...

Does that registry hack solve this problem as well? Although my explorer.exe doesn't stop working.

I feel that this build has alot of issues with admin privileges. Or maybe its just me not understanding the UAC concept but I thought Windows was meant to be easy to use.. :p

Don

I, too, am having this issue with my laptop. Network icon disappears, connect drops and causes the laptop to hang on shutdown. It's something to do with wireless networking, because once I disabled the wireless apadter and used the ethernet port the problem went away.