Windows 7 Build 7057 x86

Your notebook has a Nvidia 8400M graphics chipset. Windows update should download the driver for you automatically. If it doesn't, you can download direct from Nvidia.com.

Windows update should have a WDDM 1.1 driver, if not the Vista x86 drivers will also work just fine:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_noteb...79.48_beta.html

ok, you just fixed my 3 biggest problems: adjusting screen brightness, second monitor, aero

it worked. It's running very fast, smooth and stable at the moment. Learning a lot, trying stuff and slowly installing more software.

I was wondering, It made a map with my old windows files. In these were also my documents, pictures,music ... I moved these to their real windows 7 locations but can I now safely remove the windows old map? It has old software files and sorts. I'm gonna have to install al kinds of stuff so I do not need them to take in that much space, is it safe to delete this "windows old" file?

thx in advance

The build 7000 was good but I must say that this build is even better than 7000! I like it, and the upgrading process didn't affect any of my installed applications, everything was working perfectly after the installation.

post-121126-1236954146_thumb.jpg

post-121126-1236954163_thumb.jpg

I am assuming then that you had no additional bindings on your networking (a.k.a. Deterministic network enhancer, Virtual PC Network Service, etc.), I lose these EVERY time I do an upgrade(7000-7022-7048-7057), not to mention the upgrage process also butches any upperbindings on CD-ROMs and hardrives. Looks like Microsoft might need to work on that a little more...

I think they've finally taken care of Media Center in this build. It's been as stable as Vista across all 3 of my HTPC's although its still gets confused about Analog channels(copying prohibited flag).

ok, you just fixed my 3 biggest problems: adjusting screen brightness, second monitor, aero

it worked. It's running very fast, smooth and stable at the moment. Learning a lot, trying stuff and slowly installing more software.

I was wondering, It made a map with my old windows files. In these were also my documents, pictures,music ... I moved these to their real windows 7 locations but can I now safely remove the windows old map? It has old software files and sorts. I'm gonna have to install al kinds of stuff so I do not need them to take in that much space, is it safe to delete this "windows old" file?

thx in advance

You can remove them as soon as you feel comfortable that you have all the files you need extracted from those folders. :)

weird bug lol, flipped wmp thumbnail

wmp12.png

how to reproduce:

1. open wmp and switch to "now playing"

2. right click and activate de List

3. click on minimize button

4. see the taskbar thumbnail :p

Are you able to pin the Recycle Bin onto taskbar in this build? That is one thing which annoys me greatly in build 7000 :(

I hate having icons on my desktop and it annoys me having to go into the 'Start' menu every time I need to empty my Recycle Bin.

Me too, I've embraced Shift+Del and check my Recycle Bin every now and then.

weird bug lol, flipped wmp thumbnail

how to reproduce:

1. open wmp and switch to "now playing"

2. right click and activate de List

3. click on minimize button

4. see the taskbar thumbnail :p

Or just open wmp, go to mini player mode(Now playing) and minimize the window.

Not just the small preview flipped, hover the mouse over the flipped preview image, and the big window appear with flipped content too :D

I've had a weird glitch in this build (7057). Each time I log in, I have an opened Desktop.ini file showing in Notepad. Like this:

post-427-1236970462_thumb.png

Anyone else having this?

I've had a weird glitch in this build (7057). Each time I log in, I have an opened Desktop.ini file showing in Notepad. Like this:

post-427-1236970462_thumb.png

Anyone else having this?

it is the desktop.ini, I had that problem too, you should go to your UserData and Desktop folder, then delete the desktop.ini file

winkey + r then paste this

shell:common startup

delete desktop.ini

Ah, super. Thanks!

This bug has been fixed. Look at the Open button for a folder.

post-99705-1237012693.png

I also noticed clicking on your user name now opens %USERPROFILE% instead of Libraries.

The large font header used in Explorer lends itself in Start Menu searches as well:

post-99705-1237012912_thumb.png

The large font header used in Explorer lends itself in Start Menu searches as well:

That's really good to see. Is the large font text in Windows Explorer now blue as well? I hope it is, the green doesn't really go, I don't think.

I also noticed clicking on your user name now opens %USERPROFILE% instead of Libraries.

I really think I'm going to hate this because the user profile folder has "My Documents", "My Music", etc, instead of "Documents", "Music", etc. This is a very bad decision and it's a shame the majority of beta uses wanted it this way :no:

hello can ANYONE help me? I installed an activated windows 7 7057 x86 and i also did the watermark removal patch but now it says its not genuine look at my attachment..THANKS

post-283764-1237013628.jpg

That's really good to see. Is the large font text in Windows Explorer now blue as well? I hope it is, the green doesn't really go, I don't think.

Yep, same colour as you see there in the Start Menu searches.

I really think I'm going to hate this because the user profile folder has "My Documents", "My Music", etc, instead of "Documents", "Music", etc. This is a very bad decision and it's a shame the majority of beta uses wanted it this way :no:

I hope they'll allow you to decide what to open when you click on your username.

For me though, I forgot what I did, but the "My" prefix doesn't show up as seen here:

post-99705-1237013580_thumb.png

Keep in mind that Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos are stored on a separate partition.

Another topic: I have to question what the Windows 7 considers "country appropriate links." While all countries get links to their government's website (for Americans, there's the Spanish and English sites; for Canadians there's the English and French sites), but the Americans get a link to the EPA (why them?!), the Brits and Aussies get links to government business agencies, etc.

There's another update: Media Center's welcome "splash" has a cool new scrolling animation.

<snip mac/linux fanboi crap>

There's always one idiot who has to [try] ruin the thread.

Who cares what you think? You're obviously a "fanboy" of some other OS, which is ironic as you're knocking "fanboys" of Windoze [sic].

Mac, Linux and Windows all do there own stuff in thier own styles. They all have thier own place in the market. The end result is the same!!! lol Each to thier own.

No one cares about who is or who isn't a "fanboy".....except you!

Please get a life, and go join a different forum to slag people off. We don't need your type here on Neowin.

There's another update: Media Center's welcome "splash" has a cool new scrolling animation.

I see the userpics have been updated too.

userpics.png

About the blinking taskbar buttons:

After they blink for a bit in the same style as build 7000, they'll eventually turn into this nice gradient fade until you switch to that window:

post-99705-1237015407.png

This picture is one step forward, and ten steps backward. The background behind the album art is darker and more subtle. But the now playing list has one UGLY shade:

post-99705-1237015647_thumb.png

Given this was supposed to be an internal build, I'm pretty sure they won't allow the public to see this. This is probably a placeholder for something better.

Yep, same colour as you see there in the Start Menu searches.

Fantastic :D

I hope they'll allow you to decide what to open when you click on your username.

For me though, I forgot what I did, but the "My" prefix doesn't show up as seen here:

<image snipped>

I hope they let us choose on that front too. Did you not rename any of the folders then? I have just renamed them all to take the "My" prefix out. It was a very bad design decision as it's created inconsistency in the user folder (as some had the "My" prefix and some didn't); however, I do understand why it was done - because some users do get confused over things like that :rolleyes:

About the blinking taskbar buttons:

After they blink for a bit in the same style as build 7000, they'll eventually turn into this nice gradient fade until you switch to that window

Now that is good! I am glad it stays and stays in a gradient as nice as that, because sometimes I don't have time to reply or look at a Messenger message, so that will surely keep a reminder there for me, letting me know I am ignoring people :p

7057 x86 was bad for me...

for some reason, booting was taking 4 minutes after the OS logo appeared and I couldn't get write caching enabled on my samsung hdd as the policies tab was missing.

It is there in 7048, which is what I'm running now.. and it boots fine.

Not sure what they changed that would cause this, as I'd really rather be running 7057.

Well,

I switched back to my WD Caviar drive from my samsung spinpoint F1, reset my mobo to fail-safe defaults, enabled SATA native mode (it was enabled before) and enabled AHCI (was disabled before), changed to a different SATA port and cable and 7057 boots quickly now and the Policies tab does show up for the WD drive.

I noticed that the 7048 disk.sys is about 20Kb bigger than the 7057.. I wonder what they took out..

I'm inclined to think it was the hdd and something about disk.sys in 7057.. but it could have been AHCI I guess.. maybe I'll reconnect the samsung and run a test later, but for now I'm happy that it works.

I found a minor desktop.ini laying around in the Windows PowerShell Start Menu Folder while just browsing around. A bit lame but I love the speed of this build.

post-240662-1237017355_thumb.png

I like the new sound schemes.Didn't notice them b4,but i normally have my own 'media' folder that i cut/paste into windows,but didn't need it this time.Is strange.as so far in 2 days i've had more incompatibilities in 7057 than in 7000???Should be other way round i think

Wow, how incredibly exciting! A few more new icons and wallpapers! Wow!

You can get tons of those anywhere on the net, any time, for any OS, for free - so what?

And a UAC "fix"? What windoze user actually cares about that? The vast majority will just totally disable UAC immediately anyway.

When "Vista II" (read: "Windows Me II" ) actually gets some decent driver support, plus an installation routine that doesn't totally trash the bootloaders of every other OS that you might already have installed on your machine, then it might be worth looking at...maybe.

Watching you Windoze fanboys chase every "wallpaper update" is simply hilarious. You're all so chronically deprived that ANY tiny little freebie they throw in there just sends you all into ecstasy. It's just so entertaining!

At least you're getting lots of practice reinstalling your OS repeatedly - and that IS something every windoze user really needs to know how to do, lol.

Oh come on! You are trying to tell me that you consider great preloaded wallpapers and other items worthless? Pessimissm much? It is called "Product Branding". You may want to read up on it a bit. They give a nice look and feel to the product so people will enjoy using it! And no, I am not bashing you, but I most certainly have no clue what logic you have behind your thoughts! Also, not all of us are Windows Fanboys! I happen to really enjoy using apple products as well. I am far from being a fanboy! That is for certain! Chronically deprived? are you kidding me? Windows has tons of great tools that we can use! We are in no way deprived! As for your explanation of Windows 7 being Vista 2 or "Vista Greatly Improved", your damn right it is! How can you call that a bad thing? Improvements on Vista were drastically needed and Windows 7 brings them in droves! And another thing, Windows 7 is not "Windows ME II"! It is the farthest thing you can get from it! It is more like Windows XP on steroids! This operating system is going to be a beast! Mark my words! :)