Windows 7 Build 7077 Due Today/Tonight

:laugh:

And has anyone installed it on netbook? Hoping that in this build boot screen shows up :p

Yes, I installed it on my Acer Aspire One (1.66Ghz, 1Gb, 160) and it works fine as the other previous builds.

Guys... the superbar is the same as build 7068... nothing new except buttons when you open a program or its jump list.

wzor wrote that he got confirmed that 7077 is infact got rc-escrow status.

also from wzor

Today, indirectly confirmed the information about the public release candidate likely will build 7100 of winmain_win7rc branches.

Yes, I installed it on my Acer Aspire One (1.66Ghz, 1Gb, 160) and it works fine as the other previous builds.

Guys... the superbar is the same as build 7068... nothing new except buttons when you open a program or its jump list.

No doubt it's working fine..have been using it for months.

But what boot screen you'll get?

Simple scrolling green bar or sexy animated windows colors? :p

wzor wrote that he got confirmed that 7077 is infact got rc-escrow status.

also from wzor

Today, indirectly confirmed the information about the public release candidate likely will build 7100 of winmain_win7rc branches.

I saw this reported elsewhere:

"7077 and 7105 are virtually the same build. 7105 was pressed 20 minutes before 7077. 7105 (71XX) is NOT upgradeable from previous builds. 7077 was released to testers so that they could still upgrade as opposed to clean install. THEY know that it is the same as 7105 (71XX). There may be workarounds for upgrading installs of 71xx builds."

:laugh:

And has anyone installed it on netbook? Hoping that in this build boot screen shows up :p

If u mean the new animated bootscreen?, it doesnt work on tne netbooks because of their resolution (1024x600), the new bootscreen is made for a minimum res of 1024x768.

If u mean the new animated bootscreen?, it doesnt work on tne netbooks because of their resolution (1024x600), the new bootscreen is made for a minimum res of 1024x768.

Damn :cry:

I saw this reported elsewhere:

"7077 and 7105 are virtually the same build. 7105 was pressed 20 minutes before 7077. 7105 (71XX) is NOT upgradeable from previous builds. 7077 was released to testers so that they could still upgrade as opposed to clean install. THEY know that it is the same as 7105 (71XX). There may be workarounds for upgrading installs of 71xx builds."

Thats some interesting information.. :)

First, you can actually force a 71xx build to upgrade from a 70xx build but you have to modify cversion.ini in the installer (Its just a text file and the Engineering 7 blog shows how to do this)

Second, the reason we have two builds is because they have branched off the RC build. Microsoft conducts a fair bit of testing and tweaking before releasing a public build (whether it be Beta or RC). They don't take a day to day winmain build and say "lets make this the RC". So basically 70xx will be tweaked, modified, and any showstopper bugs will be fixed. It will then be released as RC build 7100. Build 71xx will on the other hand continue to proceed toward RTM status. They can modify this build without worrying about the RC build. So right now 7077 and 7105 are very similar but they will probably start to diverge a little bit leading up to the Release Candidate.

First, you can actually force a 71xx build to upgrade from a 70xx build but you have to modify cversion.ini in the installer (Its just a text file and the Engineering 7 blog shows how to do this)

Second, the reason we have two builds is because they have branched off the RC build. Microsoft conducts a fair bit of testing and tweaking before releasing a public build (whether it be Beta or RC). They don't take a day to day winmain build and say "lets make this the RC". So basically 70xx will be tweaked, modified, and any showstopper bugs will be fixed. It will then be released as RC build 7100. Build 71xx will on the other hand continue to proceed toward RTM status. They can modify this build without worrying about the RC build. So right now 7077 and 7105 are very similar but they will probably start to diverge a little bit leading up to the Release Candidate.

dude, if a build is the same when it gets compiled, it is ALWAYS the same. they dont RECOMPILE builds -- that is called updating the build number. 7077 and 7105 are effectively (if not exactly) the same thing, and always will be. 7100 may (or may not) be fairly different than 7077 or 7105 (it may be the same thing), but it will certainly be different than other 71xx builds...

dude, if a build is the same when it gets compiled, it is ALWAYS the same. they dont RECOMPILE builds -- that is called updating the build number. 7077 and 7105 are effectively (if not exactly) the same thing, and always will be. 7100 may (or may not) be fairly different than 7077 or 7105 (it may be the same thing), but it will certainly be different than other 71xx builds...

I don't understand why in a testing situation they wouldn't want to see results of upgrade installs in the RC.

Thats some interesting information.. :)

here is what Microsoft has to say about this:

Here?s what you can do to bypass the check for pre-release upgrade IF YOU REALLY REALLY NEED TO:

1. Download the ISO as you did previously and burn the ISO to a DVD.

2. Copy the whole image to a storage location you wish to run the upgrade from (a bootable flash drive or a directory on any partition on the machine running the pre-release build).

3. Browse to the sources directory.

4. Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad.

5. Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000 (pictured below).

6. Save the file in place with the same name.

7. Run setup like you would normally from this modified copy of the image and the version check will be bypassed.

clip_image002

These same steps will be required as we transition from the RC milestone to the RTM milestone.

Source:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/0...experience.aspx

I don't understand why in a testing situation they wouldn't want to see results of upgrade installs in the RC.

My guess is they want to limit upgrades to people using Vista. There were bugs in earlier (and current) builds of Windows 7, they know that, and they don't want to carry those over to the RC build.

As a final shipping product, people will be upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, not Windows 7 Build 70xx to 7100.

@marinebio72: They do sometimes recompile builds (that .0 trailing the Windows 7 build number becomes a .1, .2 ,etc. so you could have a build like 7050.3 which would indicate they'd recompiled it 3 times. At least I think thats how it works.

Anyways, thats not what I'm talking about here. They do compiles from different branches sometimes, most of which center around winmain (the windows mainline branch). These would be seperate compiles from different branches.

Edited by Ames

Yes, the only upgrade path disabled is from pre RC builds, not form Vista. The workaround above should do the trick though.

Edited by grdh20

Anyone see x64 yet? Have not run across it myself...I have not had any major probs with 7068, but its something new :)

x64 is not available yet.

Know what you mean, 7068 has been perfectly stable for me but I like running the latest and greatest :D even though it frequently gets me into trouble

x64 is not available yet.

Know what you mean, 7068 has been perfectly stable for me but I like running the latest and greatest :D even though it frequently gets me into trouble

Trouble...lol...I know what you mean. I am wanting to do an upgrade again. I have the last few times and it has worked fine. I hope not to clean install until RTM.

I guess its not near as a pain in the ass as it used to be though since you have the easy transfer wizard since Vista...works really nice to keep your picky setting...like all my Outlook email accounts :)

I'm running 7068 which I installed 2 days ago. Can I upgrade to 7077 without starting from scratch?

You can but I noticed little glitches when upgrading. When I upgraded one of the previous builds, I noticed that the icon for Libraries was missing and little things like that.

I'm running 7068 which I installed 2 days ago. Can I upgrade to 7077 without starting from scratch?

I upraded from 7057 to 7068 and did not have any problems. I will def do a clean install when RTM hits, but I might keep doing updates until then...

Because in Russia, they don't prosecute individuals who break the law...unless the crime harms the government or high ranking government officials.

I don't even understand why they send stuff to Russia lol.

You should be fine. Only starting with builds in the 71xx series will a workaround be necessary to upgrade prior builds.