Barclays Premier League Season 2009/2010

Premier League 2009/2010  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Premier League in 2010?

• Arsenal
    • Aston Villa
    • Birmingham City
    • Blackburn Rovers
    • Bolton Wanderers
    • Burnley
    • Chelsea
    • Everton
    • Fulham
    • Hull City
    • Liverpool
    • Manchester City
    • Manchester United
    • Portsmouth
    • Stoke City
    • Sunderland
    • Tottenham Hotspur
    • West Ham United
    • Wigan Athletic
    • Wolverhampton Wanderers
  2. 2. Who will be relegated in 2010? [Select 3]

• Arsenal
    • Aston Villa
    • Birmingham City
    • Blackburn Rovers
    • Bolton Wanderers
    • Burnley
    • Chelsea
    • Everton
    • Fulham
    • Hull City
    • Liverpool
    • Manchester City
    • Manchester United
    • Portsmouth
    • Stoke City
    • Sunderland
    • Tottenham Hotspur
    • West Ham United
    • Wigan Athletic
    • Wolverhampton Wanderers
  3. 3. Who will be top scorer?

• Andrei Arshavin
    • Carlos Tevez
    • Didier Drogba
    • Dimitar Berbatov
    • Emmanuel Adebayor
    • Fernando Torres
    • Frank Lampard
    • Gabriel Agbonlahor
    • Nicolas Anelka
    • Robin van Persie
    • Robinho
    • Roque Santa Cruz
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Yakubu Aiyegbeni
    • Other

wow at the arsenal game a penalty then a comical own goal :|

And Wenger being his usual self.

Complaining at the penalty despite defending Eduardo, and then complaining at a correct offside decision and refusing to go to the stand when he got sent off. He should be fined by the FA at least.

Nice goal from arshavin. Arsenal was really unlucky. And frankly 2-2 would have made justice to the match. Btw, the "header" rooney did was really dangerous, dont know if he was doing it to put the ball away or to impress the crowd.

Good result for Liverpool. I am still rather worried about the large number of goals being conceded, but 3 points is 3 points however you win it. Aquilani and the new defender (forgot his name :laugh:) can't come soon enough.

The new defender played today I think, yeah you are conceding a fair few where you weren't last year but I think things will get better for liverpool and it will be normality as normal with utd,l'pool,chelsea and arsenal challenging.

I just hope our big guns come back soon.. we really missed Cesc yesterday.. one can argue if we had him, Rosicky and Walcott for Diaby, Song and Denilson and Nasri for Eboue.. result would be completely different.. what a strike by Arshavin though!!

Edited by Kralik

I hear a few players got booked for diving and if I remember correctly got fined and I am def happy about that (Y) Somebody needed to lodge some feet up some arses as it is getting ridiculous...

If Uefa intend to start getting serious about it, that is good news to me, however I don't think they should wait for complaints, I would personally like to see them review every penalty, and sending off themselves to look for diving, as I feel it is an epidemic that should stop. Some players like Ronaldo and Drogba admittedly make something of an art of making it an integral part of their game, but almost all players have done it at one point or another in their careers, and I feel it needs to be stamped out, possibly with the threat of really harsh penalties to anyone found to be guilty. However, I also feel that a mixture of greed, and pressure to achieve results has lead to the large increase in incidence of diving, which is also something that should be looked at.

If Uefa intend to start getting serious about it, that is good news to me, however I don't think they should wait for complaints, I would personally like to see them review every penalty, and sending off themselves to look for diving, as I feel it is an epidemic that should stop. Some players like Ronaldo and Drogba admittedly make something of an art of making it an integral part of their game, but almost all players have done it at one point or another in their careers, and I feel it needs to be stamped out, possibly with the threat of really harsh penalties to anyone found to be guilty. However, I also feel that a mixture of greed, and pressure to achieve results has lead to the large increase in incidence of diving, which is also something that should be looked at.

I get the idea but it won't work. If someone dives and wins a penalty and his team wins a knock-out cup match 1-0, what do you do?

Where is the line between going down easy and diving? Or if someone goes to take a swipe at you (but doesn't) and you have a slight ankle injury and you jump out the way, would that be a dive?

I agree with Mike to be honest. There is no definitive solution to the problem of diving, which is why it has so far not been addressed.

:blink: I think i'll frame that :p

As for a solution, it was suggested on one of the matches that you could have the 4th (or a 5th) official watching the match and when there's a penalty/free kick that the players obviously don't agree with (kinda suggests it was marginal) then the 4/5th official checks a reply and communicates with the ref. Penalties / direct free kicks rarely happen quickly after the offense so it wouldn't slow the game down.

Having stoppages in the game can become tactics and disrupt the game and end up causing a problem while trying to solve something else so shouldn't be used imo, similarly dealing with it after the game is useless and the game has already been affected.

In my opinion simple... If there is clear evidence of a foul, and they go down easily... no action as its still a foul

If there is no evidence of a foul, as in Eduardo's case you penalise the player

If the evidence is inconclusive, no action should be taken

That's my opinion, but yes I have been an advocate of the video ref, it works well enough in Rugby and Cricket

Chelsea under Transfer Embargo!

Chelsea have been banned from signing any new players in the next two registration periods by Fifa.

The Premiership club was found guilty of inducing French teenager Gael Kakuta to breach his contract with Lens when he joined in 2007.

"Chelsea is banned from registering any new players for the two next registration periods," a statement on Fifa's website read.

Chelsea are looking into the matter and hope to issue a statement.

The London club will be able to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne.

Lens lodged a complaint with world football's governing body after Chelsea landed the player.

Now Fifa's dispute resolution chamber has ruled that Kakuta breached his contract with Lens and Chelsea induced him to do so.

The Fifa statement continued: "The French club had lodged a claim with Fifa seeking compensation for breach of contract from the player and requesting also sporting sanctions to be imposed on the player and the English club for breach of contract and inducement to breach of contract respectively.

"The DRC found that the player had indeed breached a contract signed with the French club. Equally, the DRC deemed it to be established that the English club induced the player to such breach."

The DRC has ruled that Kakuta must pay compensation of 780,000 Euros, for which Chelsea is "jointly and severally liable".

Chelsea must pay additional "training compensation" of 130,000 Euros to Lens.

The player has been banned from playing in official matches for four months.