[VS] Clearscreen Sharp for Windows 7

likewise guys...I too followed instructions but can't get it to work even though I've patched the files and changed the 'explorer.exe...

followed 'Anarkiis' steps exactly...applying the style doesn't do anything..:(

using W7 Ultimate RTM x64 7600

I had a similar problem. However, after I patched the 64 bit files as well as the 32 bit (which are included in the 64 bit version for compatibility reason) everything worked fine.

I re-downloaded the theme from deviantart and then patched my files before replacing explorer.exe...

this time it worked for me...phew finally...:)

I cannot Copy Paste the explorer

It says "Try Again"

My account is Admininstrator

I had a similar problem. However, after I patched the 64 bit files as well as the 32 bit (which are included in the 64 bit version for compatibility reason) everything worked fine.

How do you mean by patching both? Could you tell us who can't get it working what you did exactly? It would help a lot of who cant get the theme working :)

I cannot Copy Paste the explorer

It says "Try Again"

My account is Admininstrator

Here's the process I used.

1) Open a command prompt with administrator privileges.

2) Copy the explorer.exe to somewhere you can find it easily (such as C:\)

3) Open task manager and kill explorer.exe

4) Then copy explorer into c:\Windows with copy explorer.exe c:\Windows

I followed the advice on page to, to make sure I had writes to overwrite it too.

How do you mean by patching both? Could you tell us who can't get it working what you did exactly? It would help a lot of who cant get the theme working :)

I re-downloaded the theme from DeviantArt for some reason...maybe just to convince myself I'd tried everything and then extracted it to the "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes" folder as shown in the screenshot below...make sure then it also resembles step 2 which is the contents of the clsSharp folder.

I then patched my files using the "Universal Theme Patcher x64"...actually I patched them/removed the patch and then reapplied...once again it was for some strange reason to attempt to get it working and then replaced the "explorer.exe" with the one supplied.

I rebooted and then from the "Personalize" option I clicked on the "Clearscreen Sharp theme as seen in the screenshop and voila it worked.

I'd tried several times before hand but only met with frustration like you but for what ever reason this time it worked.

that's all I can tell you buddy...that was my solution..:)

hope it helps in some way but I'm sure you've tried on numerous occasions.

Mike.

83620088.png

WOW!

Mike you are a genius! That worked perfectly for me! I am now running it and loving it :)

Seems to me (which I can tell anyway) the universal theme patcher from http://deepxw.blogspot.com/2008/11/univers...me-patcher.html did the trick. The other one I used although it worked with my other themes, didn't seem to like this one for some reason. However, that one made it work with no problems what so ever :)

So once again, thank you Mike!

Here's the process I used.

1) Open a command prompt with administrator privileges.

2) Copy the explorer.exe to somewhere you can find it easily (such as C:\)

3) Open task manager and kill explorer.exe

4) Then copy explorer into c:\Windows with copy explorer.exe c:\Windows

I followed the advice on page to, to make sure I had writes to overwrite it too.

Doing the process at the top of page 2 works great too. Infact I find it easier because it doesn't replace any system files, it just points the explorer.exe to a new one.

To get it, do the following:

1. Start > search > group policy editor

2. Open the program

3. Browse to 'User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Custom User Interface

4. Double click 'Custom User Interface' and select 'enabled'

5. Under 'Interface file name' - put in the path to your updated explorer.exe - example: c:\windows\resources\themes\clsharp\explorer.exe

6. Close, save, logoff/reboot and login - the new explorer will be there :)

2009-10-26_083322-2.png

Wgat Icon pack is that? and how do you install it? :o

Thanks Ace :) Just gotta work out how to replace the icons now lol.

hold Shift key, right click the icon on the taskbar and select properties.

no need to unpinned and repinned the shortcuts.

hold Shift key, right click the icon on the taskbar and select properties.

no need to unpinned and repinned the shortcuts.

Awesome thank you :)

Ahh Thanks Vizion.Theme is working!

But i still cannot copy paste the explorer.exe(from Clearscreen Theme) into Windows?

I followed Ankarkii's 185 post

:|

Glad to see it solved, and thanks for taking the time to explain it mike45 :). I also use the Universal Theme Patcher. I'll check later to see if I can get it working with the mem patch (UXStyle).

--

BTW, Ave discovered how to change the caption button size! He released an example that changes the close button size... things are going to get interesting in Windows Vista/7 theming :) Just a warning, it's a demo so run it at your own risk.

--

This weekend I hope to tackle:

- A rounded corner transparent version

- Default Aero frame support

- Large Triangular Start Button

Thanks for all the comments :)

I'll check later to see if I can get it working with the mem patch (UXStyle).

This weekend I hope to tackle:

- A rounded corner transparent version

- Default Aero frame support

- Large Triangular Start Button

Awesome,thanx :)

@ Deathknight74: Yeah, that was a hackish implementation that worked in most places for me but that one never did. I'll set it back to the regular look (without the arrow).

@ mike45: Yeah, that's the problem with Windows and some inconsistencies which of course do not show up on a default theme. You have people who inherit text colors from another place, and then you have Microsoft who decides to use the body text color for the AeroWizard titlebar (black again in my theme -- you may have seen this in the network setup), and then you have programs that render their own glow around the titlebar text.

Right now, the 'shadow/glow' behind the text in Explorer and most programs is an image.

I wish Microsoft would just render this part to conform with the text as it does in MS Paint.

Some of their programs seem to ignore the glow colors and such.

--

This is one reason why I'm going to release a black text on white glow option. To many inconsistencies with how Microsoft renders this area.

Looking at the Vista version screenshots I noticed you didn't use the same start button. I'm kind of curious why, 'cause I thought that looked pretty slick.

Two reasons which tie into each other :)

1. Microsoft moved the Start button to explorer.exe, making it harder for me to test that part (I have to develop a BMP with proper alpha channeling each time from Photoshop). In Vista, the Start button image was a resource in the MSSTYLES file and all I had to do was import a PNG file from Vista Style Builder.

2. Microsoft doesn't like transparent graphics there; it overlays the hot state on top of the normal state (turns brighter than it should be), and the normal state shrinks awkwardly and distorts, making it a giant mess (which is then partially visible behind the hot state Start button). I think I was able to fix this within the MSSTYLES file in Vista by disabling a sizing boolean. Unfortunately, I don't know where I can disable this in the MSSTYLES now that the section has been moved to explorer.exe

I could probably get it working again if I tried, but it's just way too time consuming for me right now :(