POLL: Move post count to profiles only?

Removing post count from posts  

549 members have voted

1. 1. Should we display post count only in profiles

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care either way

With post counts being shown, we can quickly weed out the SPAM posters putting their endorsements on crapware. There have been a number of times that you see posts from asshats that are bragging up a piece of software and they only have one or two posts.

If that is the case, then they can be ignored.

[...]

Voters of 'No, keep it where it is' would in fact be less likely to post if post counts were moved to profiles, as this seems to be something important to them

---

I may be wrong here, but, if that is true, then it would make sense to keep things as they are. :)

I'm not really fussed either way, however I think James7 above has a valid point - the people who voted no could drop on the level of posting on the site.

Just something to think about I guess.

However, if doing this means these posters will post less, because their post count is important to them, doesn't that add evidence to back-up my earlier suggestion that some people currently post a lot simply to either compete with others or just increase their post count? If post counts were moved to the profile page (or removed entirely), these people may not post as much because they don't have anything to compete against or a post count to achieve in the least amount of time possible; this means the posts they do actually post are likely to all be of better quality, rather than some posts being of good quality and some of bad (or pointless) quality.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter, as a user.

• Like 1

I find the joined and member no. to be more fascinating but early indications are the post count will stay. Why not? everyone likes gunning for something even if it a non-relevant number with no real prize or end. We all remember the magic of hitting that first 1K posts :p

I knew you'd take my 1000th post count away from me before I got it!!!!

Seriously though, I know it shouldn't be taken as a gospel method of how much merit you should put into someones technical knowledge but as far as I've noticed, people with high post counts are generally more knowledgeable than others... (in the world of computers and electronics at least)

With post counts being shown, we can quickly weed out the SPAM posters putting their endorsements on crapware. There have been a number of times that you see posts from asshats that are bragging up a piece of software and they only have one or two posts.

DING! DING! DING!

A winning point there! (Y)

A post count is not the only indicator as to whether somebody is a spammer or not. Moderators will be able to determine if somebody is a spammer and if somebody is a spammer, their posts will be deleted. If somebody with two or three posts is just trying to help a user and they link to a helpful article or solution, they could well be trying to help but some users will ignore that or brand them as a spammer, just because they have a low post count; moving the post count to the profile would solve this injustice but moderators will still be able to weed out the spammers. There'd be no worry about users mistaking spammers for helpful users because I've never seen a spammer last long - often, if not most of the time, they are caught straight away.

Again, I'm just speaking as a user and I'm not commenting on site operations in these posts; just bringing up some benefits of the post count being moved, as I'd like to see it happen :p

i dont really care about post counts however i prefer them to be publicly viewable as it adds a bit of integrity to a post, Generally i wouldn't buy anything off anyone with >100 posts in neobay. It adds that sense of security to a post.

Exactly. Well, at least leaving stars would be fine. As kind of reputation thingy, like other forums have as well.

A post count is not the only indicator as to whether somebody is a spammer or not. Us moderators will be able to determine if somebody is a spammer and if somebody is a spammer, their posts will be deleted. If somebody with two or three posts is just trying to help a user and they link to a helpful article or solution, they could well be trying to help but some users will ignore that or brand them as a spammer, just because they have a low post count.

Again, I'm just speaking as a user and I'm not commenting on site operations in these posts; just bringing up some benefits of the post count being moved, as I'd like to see it happen :p

I agree, there are posts that deserve credence. But seeing someone hop on and say, "Check out this great, new software! It'll do this and that and it's better than any other software of it's type." You can generally ignore broad statements like that. But low-post endorsements prevent me from looking any further that the post itself.

If the mods, in their infinite widsom (gratuitous brown-nosing), miss a post, and even a few users hit a malware/spyware site, it's too many. I've come across a few posts hitting before a mod can delete them. Post counts may prevent that.

No, and I've never seen anybody ridiculed just for having a low post count.

Post counts are more interesting than join dates.

Let's get rid of member numbers, and MAIL buttons, also that little 'up' arrow next to the Report button, plus Avatars and Usernames are annoying too!. ;)

For posters like that. I would go for banning them instead of ignore . :whistle:

We already have had about 50 differences of opinion, so as "someone" said, things will in all likelihood NOT change! In other words all this is supposition and will go nowhere!

yea but until they get banned other members might get fooled by their posts

When I notice forum spam on Neowin, I find that I need to be lucky if I can bad/erase the material before some other moderator does it. That sort of stuff doesn't tend to survive very long (at least for my timezone).

However, if doing this means these posters will post less, because their post count is important to them, doesn't that add evidence to back-up my earlier suggestion that some people currently post a lot simply to either compete with others or just increase their post count? If post counts were moved to the profile page (or removed entirely), these people may not post as much because they don't have anything to compete against or a post count to achieve in the least amount of time possible; this means the posts they do actually post are likely to all be of better quality, rather than some posts being of good quality and some of bad (or pointless) quality.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter, as a user.

Elsewhere, I think, you had a different argument: if A is doing something that doesn't hurt B, then why should B have the right to stop A doing it? ;)

I guess I meant, there are those who like to see their post counts. It makes them feel special as part of the community (they've put in their time and also they can easily see when they can post a milestone thread). They might slow down their posting, whether it's quality posting or not, if they didn't have their post-count badges up there for all to see.

Seriously, there are people who are proud of the numbers--I am not bothered myself, but there are people who are good posters who like the system as it is (look at the numbers at the top of the post--a large minority like it as it is).

I don't think those who want change would feel 'done wrong by' not having that change. But, as noted, I'd interpret every 'no' vote above as pointing to someone for whom visible post counts are important. :)

PS I want to add that short, seemingly meaningless posts can have value, such as when we welcome new members or thank people for making useful posts. These add to the post counts but don't add much to the community, other than help keep things polite, which I guess is rather a good thing.

I honestly do not like "not seeing" my post count in forums. Some forums have a minimum post count requirement before you get full use of the features. Obviously I don't have that issue here, but, the issue is, I like seeing my own post count, but I also like seeing other people's post counts. Don't know why, it just wouldn't "feel right" with them being gone. Especially since this is something that's pretty much standard on the majority of forums. I'd be very against hiding them or putting them only in the profile. Besides, it's not like it should be a secret, plus if that's the only thing you want to see, or member status, that takes an extra click to get something that should be there in the first place.

yes, remove as much as possible from view. anything that serves as epeen for anyone. stars included.

i'd even go as far to say to make the warning up front and visible for all to see if indeed it is > 0%. not just visible to the user.

Oh no don't get rid of the post count. I mean then we wouldn't know how important Rappy really was, well until he got the MVP!!

Honestly it can be looked at 2 ways, and I think this is what is happening. Some people here, including me on occasion, only take someone's post as "valid and useful" if they have a higher post count.. But, its has a lot to do with the fact that we get so many new members all the time, who just want to spam stupid stuff to get their post counts high...

Hiding post counts would probably be a good thing in the end... As bad as I hate to say it, but I would love to see some sort of "title" or something to show your usefulness... Kinda like the give Thanks button on some forums.

What about rappy?

With the warning, if your at around 80% then you should show it as a last warning to make sure you don't break the rules as people who already have 100% cannot make a mistake and they might forget that.

Im all for this idea... and i have 80% warn at present! :p

yes, remove as much as possible from view. anything that serves as epeen for anyone. stars included.

i'd even go as far to say to make the warning up front and visible for all to see if indeed it is > 0%. not just visible to the user.

I am anti removal of the stars and the post count AND im anti showing the warn bar to all. Its a great idea to show the warn bar to people when a person has over 80% warn, but anything less could result in people leaving and\or creating new accounts as soon as they recieve a warn for anything, because they dont like it being in view of the public.

Many who reach 80 or 100% warn tend to leave anyway and only a few hardcore like myself dont generally mind their warn and live with it, trying to behave as best they can :p