POLL: Move post count to profiles only?

Removing post count from posts  

549 members have voted

1. 1. Should we display post count only in profiles

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care either way

I voted for no. It's nice having them there to see. Not like I take anything against someone with a low post count but then you can see the first time posters!

I have no problem with the post count standing beside every post I make nor with reading someone else's post count as quantity doesn't matter but quality does. However, I did vote no. With the multiple threads we have in "Announcements" such as "The x million posts thread" and the various milestone threads in the appropriate forum I see no reason to remove them. It's clear that some people - actually a lot here - take note of their post count and see it as an achievement. When you reach an achievement it's nice to see it as much as you can therefore seeing it after every post you make it just great. I, for one, do not need the post count as I've grown out of it but I can understand that a lot of people do want to see it.

When there's excessive spamming going on by a user you can always disable the user in question's post count, no?

No, simply because it makes it easy to see whether or not the person posting a topic is indeed a legitimate member who has posted often enough, when links to another site are involved.

There are a number of spammers who are simply linking their own site, someone else's site, or simply a link with a referral ID giving them credit for your click and possibly your purchase. I don't like clicking on a profile just to see such information. Seeing a post count between 1-20 definitely makes me skeptical.

As for the people obsessed with their post counts and the people against them, I personally find both groups to be pretty silly. I mean, unless you're 12 or so I suppose. :ermm:

Well I voted no simply because I like to know. Can't put it any simpler than that.

I also think a lot of those that voted yes would soon regret doing so.

You know what they say... you don't know what you've got until it's gone. I think that applies here.

I don't mind about post counts but I do mind about location. Maybe replace Post count with location in post details. I ask because some forum section are about posting hardware store links (to help with buying computer hardware), and also for Neobay (so I see which country a buyer/seller is from).

No preference either way really, doesn't make much difference to me. Personally I would prefer the rep of a user to be decided on a reputation system, obviously that's a bit difficult with IPB3 gone but there are custom mods.

I say leave it as it was when the forums were up.. Leave it turned on. The avatar area had a lot of room with the new v3, so it kinda filled it up with something.

Quote - (Sethos @ Jan 12 2010, 15:19) I'm in agreement with Sethos, I've rarely seen "post count discrimination" - typically speaking, if a "low post count" person's post actually holds credibility we're smart enough folk to realise that it has such.

Why would Sethos want them removed when he can belittle someone with a small post count? https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/868506-im-the-only-one-who-dont-like-the-new-theme/

That's exactly the reason why the post count and join date should be removed.

Why would Sethos want them removed when he can belittle someone with a small post count? https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/868506-im-the-only-one-who-dont-like-the-new-theme/

That's exactly the reason why the post count and join date should be removed.

I bet you were itching to post that :rofl:

Anyways;

Read the posts, no one discredited his opinion on the theme - I was making fun of his comment about "interest" which is useless and just a bit of drama.

don't be so butthurt guys :)

I didn't discredit his opinion at all.

Smelled that coming a mile away.^

What was the outcome of this vote btw? Any official word as seems the hide have slightly won over continue to 'show' ?

I think we should move away from post counts. On one condition, we adopt the reputation feature. The big reason we use post counts is to see if somebody's say is important or not. Somebody with a small post count will usually be ignored compared to Rappy with the thousands of posts he's made. Now if we all get rewarded by points for reputation, then we can make it worth it. Nobody is taking advantage of the reputation right now, except me. I have been voting posts as I see it fit, my quota is up right now though. Now if we all contribute, it will be useful. But if we hide reputation in the profiles, nobody will use it, and hiding posts based on reputation won't work smoothly.

What do you guys think? Replace it with a reputation meter? :D

I think we should move away from post counts. On one condition, we adopt the reputation feature. The big reason we use post counts is to see if somebody's say is important or not. Somebody with a small post count will usually be ignored compared to Rappy with the thousands of posts he's made. Now if we all get rewarded by points for reputation, then we can make it worth it. Nobody is taking advantage of the reputation right now, except me. I have been voting posts as I see it fit, my quota is up right now though. Now if we all contribute, it will be useful. But if we hide reputation in the profiles, nobody will use it, and hiding posts based on reputation won't work smoothly.

What do you guys think? Replace it with a reputation meter? :D

not bad idea , i will be voted down into the oblivion :p

Post counts do serve a purpose, as they do serve as an indicator of how invested a person is in the community (and to a lesser extent, how predictably they behave). On the other hand, the argument against them is that they make people more likely to spam, i.e. a high post count is seen as a good thing to show off.

The simplest solution is to make the post counts disappear after N posts or after a certain amount of reputation has been obtained. I suggest a threshold of 200 posts. After that, make them visible in the profile only.

Post counts do serve a purpose, as they do serve as an indicator of how invested a person is in the community (and to a lesser extent, how predictably they behave). On the other hand, the argument against them is that they make people more likely to spam, i.e. a high post count is seen as a good thing to show off.

The simplest solution is to make the post counts disappear after N posts or after a certain amount of reputation has been obtained. I suggest a threshold of 200 posts. After that, make them visible in the profile only.

another good idea

Terrible idea, I do not post that much and for *several years*, I had 200- posts. I only have almost 600 posts now, and you have thousands of posts. Some people have already a thousand posts and they joined this month or December of 2009. I noticed that recently, everybody is in the thousands, but it was only a couple years, people only had hundreds. People spam with "+1" and "I agree" and you can thank Twitter for that.

Post counts do serve a purpose, as they do serve as an indicator of how invested a person is in the community (and to a lesser extent, how predictably they behave).

Invested in what part of the community? The part that posts or the part that spams?

I say yes. In fact, what if member titles revolved around the reputation system? Post counts are completely and utterly useless, and they result in complete idiots thinking they're all intelligent, respected gurus when in reality 90% of their posts are retarded.

With a reputation-centric member titles, people who get the "Respected Member" rank, for instance are truly respected.

I say yes. In fact, what if member titles revolved around the reputation system? Post counts are completely and utterly useless, and they result in complete idiots thinking they're all intelligent, respected gurus when in reality 90% of their posts are retarded.

With a reputation-centric member titles, people who get the "Respected Member" rank, for instance are truly respected.

See! This is what I thought! We need to move to this. :yes:

Maybe we should have it display people's rep level instead of post count?

Guys, at least read the last posts on the page... This is dumb, look above you. Just say that you agree to what we said and not act like it's a new idea not mentioned. Yes, I already said that reputation should be the way to do it and not post count. :sleep:

That system would just be abused too.

If people have issues with someone, they won't get the rep points, even if what they say is correct.

I'd like to see the Location put back instead of having to go to the profile page to find out where in the world someone is at when providing links to suggested hardware (providing links to items on Newegg isn't very useful to people in the UK or AUS :laugh: ). Even though some didn't use it as intended, for the most part they did (if they put anything there at all).