• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

POLL: Move post count to profiles only?

Removing post count from posts  

549 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Geoffrey B.    1,415

Honestly I say keep it I enjoy being able to see my own post count at least. however at the same time i can understand as to where it could cause issues when people say stuff like well you only have ten posts your information has to be wrong and stuff.

Sethos    270

I think the reasons behind removing them are a bit weak.

I have never, ever seen any valid posts that has been turned down or discredited purely because of their post-count - Yes, the "1-post wonders" are dodgy at times and it's also a nice indicator to watch out for this member, just for the first few posts. Else I just see the post count a bit like the Gamescore on Xbox Live - Doesn't do anything but it's fun to track and see it go up. I honestly can't see why it should be removed, never seen any negatives sides of it so far and removing it would just seem like change just for the sake of change.

ChrizzMan    0

There are some pretty fantastic arguments being made within this discussion, which is exactly why I'm on the edge about this.

I'll admit that I do enjoy hovering on over to my postbit and watching my post count increase. While this may be the case, I acquire a sense of achievement from the information and/or knowledge that I've shared with the community (as opposed to achieving this via a rapidly increasing post count). Additionally, I'm sure that for many, having a nice, high count to display to the public is an achievement in itself, regardless of what they've done to reach that very goal. Who cares if you've posted 50 one-word responses in a matter of a few hours? After all, you are now in possession of the bragging rights that you were hoping for all along.

The one-word responses are a bit of an exaggeration, if you didn't pick up on that. It's also important to keep in mind that these posting statistics will still be viewable via a member's profile; it's not like they'd be removed entirely. If one wants to inquire about another member's post count, they can simply do so with a few clicks. Furthermore, an individual member can monitor their posting progress in the same manner. I have only been a member here for roughly a week, and while I have yet to notice a lack of respect directed at the members with lower post counts, I am no stranger to discussion forums and realize that it's almost always going to be present in one form or another. Overall, however, this community is pretty damn friendly, and respect is shown (and credit is given) where and when it's due.

... but hey, that's my $.02 on the matter. :) I would be perfectly fine with either.

Creamy    1
Nope, they would be visible only in the profile.

Moving the post cont to the profiles? Ok.

Moving the stars etc? Maybe not...

brentaal    404

Stars also indicate the post count of a user. Makes no sense to hide one but not the other.

S550    96

I vote NO.

The_Wizard    0

I voted yes, although i'm not overly bothered either way to be honest.

Jebadiah    42

My opinion:

1. Take off Posts and Stars. Stars are based on Post count. Neither post counts nor stars are good indicators of the quality of a post.

2. Keep the rest as general information about the member.

3. Do not make warnings public. It goes against #1.

Edited by Jebadiah

+jamesyfx    362

In my experience websites have attempted this move before, to try and deter spamming. But surely the internet has moved on since then? Who cares about the amount of posts you have?

It's a standard feature on any bulletin board however, may as well leave it where it is.

acnpt    39

Could somebody post an example of a member getting abused just for having a low post count.

Phantom Helix    53

I voted No, then realized it would still be in the profiles lol

anyway, if not count something should remain to signify you have been here for a while and not just a random user, like the joined date

Shadrack    601

I like the post count because I like to know if it is someone's very first post (good at identifying spam too). I also like to identify the posters who have just registered and already have raked up 1000's of posts (again good to identify the spammers).

But really, the stars are all we need. The post count and the stars are redundant.

SkyDX    49

Well I think it's best to make it optional so everyone can have it their own way.

I personally like to see my own post count from time to time but tbh I don't care about other peoples post counts or if they see mine :p

Unrealistic    49

I agree with removing the post count and also moving the warning to the profile.

.Markus    194

Think there's both positive and negative sides of removing the post count from forum posts...

It would make people post less of these short one liners, particularly in General & Off topic and Jokes & Funny section, in order to increase their post count.

One negative side could be however that with less of these casual posts we loose some of this community feel we have around here on Neowin...

Growled    3,880

I voted I don't care. Post count is not that important. However, nothing wrong with it being visible either.

episode    626
I am calm I'm just wondering what's all the fascination with the poor guy

He's one of the best posters on the site, never ****es anyone off, and always posts TONS of good information before anyone else.

sundayx    127

I said no cause it degrades an aspect of our 'character'? We'd be all bots from one another.

KoL    36

Either way i usually don't look at post count.

ScorpioRGc1    46

I see no real purpose in regulating them to profile-only. Even if a lot of us don't regularly look at them, there's no sense in hiding them either. ^_^

Inertia    41

Sometimes if im not sur eif I need to take somethign with a pinch of salt or not, I look at the post count, maybe this is wrong but I like it there.

RadishTM    312

Yes.

Radish?

+John.    1,395

I voted No, but on second thought it might be a good idea. Would save judgement of people's worth based on post count.

I like seeing the stars, though.

Glassed Silver    940

No, don't remove them.

I think, whoever has browsed through a forum for at least a week, has experienced, there are always a lot of say... questionable contributions (meaning seriousity, truth, twists of facts, selling myths as facts, lack of knowledge) by either newbies or even some day-1-members.

For sure, there might be discrepancies of how many there are from either side, then again, there are always way more newbies or not-so-long members than longer ones.

Furthermore, whoever thinks in such stereotypes does this on his or her own risk.

I actually also LOVE having the post count there, because you sometimes see funny geek numbers, see how long it is for someone to reach a count milestone or just to see "why the heck that guy is posting in every frickin' thread i open" (to put it exagerated haha)

Oh well, there you have it.

Keep it in there! ^^

@sundayx:

not the "you get to be just a number" argument.

come on, avatars, signatures are setting us appart enough, also the way we say things and what we say.

even a post count does have something to tell. (oh look at old waterfall of words Frank! XD)

edit: / addition:

then why keep up the "joined"? just numbering you, too - nothing to do with your b'day or anything!

nah, it's all fine.

Glassed Silver:win

ccoltmanm    146

So do we vote yes or no for "Should we display post count only in profiles" or "Move post count to profiles only?"

I think there is a confusion in the question and the thread topic, people might get confused. Like me. Who voted no, but wanted to vote yes... i think.