POLL: Move post count to profiles only?

Removing post count from posts  

549 members have voted

1. 1. Should we display post count only in profiles

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care either way

I voted No, but on second thought it might be a good idea. Would save judgement of people's worth based on post count.

Do people really base their judgments of other people on their post count?

I would like it to be there.. it shows members dedication to the forum when surfing

Why? How does it show/indicate dedication, what nonsense! Post count on this site is blown out of all proportion as far as I am concerned!

A vast majority of people here, with massive post counts, are nothing short of spammers whose posts are largely meaningless! We had a guy here who in every post used to say things like: ?Nice wall? ?Nice one? ?I?ll use that? etc etc!! I think he got up to 5000 posts or so in about 6 months! People who insert a ?+1? or such meaningless nonsense. I could go on and on!

I've never been on a forum that disabled them, doing so is semi-pointless. Besides, sometimes there is good use for it.

If you're looking at post counts as a measurment anyway, you do need a life. We all can't be Rappy or Growled.

Do people really base their judgments of other people on their post count?

Every forum I've ever been on had sort of an "earn your stripes" period first 100 posts or so to prove yourself. I rarely see needless post-whoring aside from Comic Book Guy and Audioboxer :whistle:

Yes.

Because I've been on this site for years, read the forums daily, but only contribute when I think there is a need for my voice to be heard. That doesn't make me any less important than a member with ten times my posts.

I would like it to be there.. it shows members dedication to the forum when surfing

How so? Remember Comic Book Guy's spam rampages?

Does that mean he was the most devoted person on the forum?

Yes.

Because I've been on this site for years, read the forums daily, but only contribute when I think there is a need for my voice to be heard. That doesn't make me any less important than a member with ten times my posts.

Who said it does?

I'm for this idea - apart from maybe "First time posters" so it's easier to identify and report spammers. To me, it's seemed in the past that some users have thought they were more valuable to the community because of post count - making post count just a stat as opposed to 'part of the post' is a great idea, I think.

So far there isn't an overwhelming vote for or against!

You're catching the poll at the wrong time.. :rofl: ...

Earlier there was a 20+ vote lead on YES.

So far there isn't an overwhelming vote for or against!

I think you are 100% right to keep post counts in posts unless there is an overwhelming vote against. And I don't think, judging by what has been seen so far, that there will be such a vote.

I think the reasons behind removing them are a bit weak.

I have never, ever seen any valid posts that has been turned down or discredited purely because of their post-count - Yes, the "1-post wonders" are dodgy at times and it's also a nice indicator to watch out for this member, just for the first few posts. Else I just see the post count a bit like the Gamescore on Xbox Live - Doesn't do anything but it's fun to track and see it go up. I honestly can't see why it should be removed, never seen any negatives sides of it so far and removing it would just seem like change just for the sake of change.

I'm in agreement with Sethos, I've rarely seen "post count discrimination" - typically speaking, if a "low post count" person's post actually holds credibility we're smart enough folk to realise that it has such.

Forums are for discussion. Do post counts improve the discussion? No.

It's just an e-penis for most. It's not like there's some outrageous need for it to be taken away... but it doesn't REALLY serve any useful purpose. The people who want to be known on the forums are most likely already known well enough. Surely they won't lose their 'cool' status by having post counts hidden... assuming posting heavily makes you cool in these waters.

Then again, as many have said - the post quality would presumably increase if this was removed.

It's like facebook - what's the point of having 1,000 friends if you've never met most of them?

I agree with James7's post.

If you are removing post count in posts, why not also remove the date when we joined, along with our member's number? Since I joined the forums, I haven't really seen a case where people would give importance to another member's post count, except, of course, for when a milestone is reached. Only a misguided person would think that a higher post count exalts a person's importance.

To be honest, I see the 'Joined' and 'Member No.' portions as being more useless than the post count is. In my opinion, post count only represents contribution. Anyways, if anything, remove all three. :rolleyes: Of course, you must leave the stars... Yeah, they are cool. :laugh:

Edited by CrownedClown03