POLL: Move post count to profiles only?

Removing post count from posts  

549 members have voted

1. 1. Should we display post count only in profiles

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care either way

Keep the post counts visible in the threads. I use them to determine whether the post is legitimate or not. (i.e. if the poster only has 1 or 2 total posts and they put a link on the thread, I don't click on it.)

If it's spam we remove it. If it's not spam we don't remove it.

Would replacing post count with reputation be a fair compromise? That way it solves the issue of members possibly posting rubbish to up their post count, while giving members a way of seeing how respected the user is in the community, giving them a good method of judging their advice.

That way it solves the issue of members possibly posting rubbish to up their post count, while giving members a way of seeing how respected the user is in the community, giving them a good method of judging their advice.

But then people who post a contradicting opinion will generally get a minus rep :/. (+1 for me if you like this post :devil:). Maybe display the (current) reputation on the profile and hand out only 3 +1s to everyone that way it's more valued.

If it's spam we remove it. If it's not spam we don't remove it.

Would replacing post count with reputation be a fair compromise? That way it solves the issue of members possibly posting rubbish to up their post count, while giving members a way of seeing how respected the user is in the community, giving them a good method of judging their advice.

Sounds like a good thing. Gets rid of the garish stars and displays pertinent information. Still we have to discuss how you are going to convert User profile rep stars to rep points? :laugh:?I suggest 20 rep points for each star. And that moderators/administrators can't be repped. That's unfair to us mere mortals since the teacher always gets the apples.

But then people who post a contradicting opinion will generally get a minus rep :/. (+1 for me if you like this post :devil:). Maybe display the (current) reputation on the profile and hand out only 3 +1s to everyone that way it's more valued.

We don't support minus rep. You only get something like five +1s to hand out every day anyway.

Doesn't really bother me. I participate on various forums, and yes you do tend to be ignored (or certainly anything you have to say) until you have a good 500 or so posts. I've learnt to not pay too much attention to a members post count, and often just focus on the quality at the post.

Spammers won?t care, they are here to make those few posts get what hits they can and disappear.

I think the post counts are good so you can tell if someone posting is new to the forum if they have been a member for a while. I know you can look at the joined date, but my eyes always look at the post count first.

Well, see? Withut the post count, you will get used to looking at the registered date. If you still miss it, look in their profile.

• 1 year later...

We don't support minus rep. You only get something like five +1s to hand out every day anyway.

We already have the rep system in place but it would be even more biased than basing the quality of a post on post counts. Someone with a high rep will draw more likes simply because they already have a lot. Also, when once a post gets one like, then people like it just because someone else already has, sending their rep higher at a faster pace.

I still prefer post count. But if you are inclined on making it easier for new posters to be viewed equally, then hide the post count until the user reaches certain number like 100 or 250. This way you can't tell the difference between someone who posts occasionally and someone who just joined other than by noticing the join date.

I think it's incredibly stupid that people even pay attention to post count. I like the stars, but who judges the quality of a person's post based on the number of posts? What if the person who just joined is like, Bill Gates or something, you think people would ignore him because of post count?

I have no problem with it being there, but apparently some people make it necessary to even consider things like this O_o if you must remove the number, at least leave the stars? I like stars ^_^

I vote, yes. A lot of members might view the lack of posts after a certain number of years in a bad way, and criticize some of the older members whose post count remains extremely low (and I'll go ahead and throw myself out in front of the bus as the example). I don't always have a comment for every single thread on all of teh neowinz....it shouldn't matter how many posts I have vs. how long I've been on my favorite site....but the fact is, that neowin IS my favorite site, and even though I don't have a lot to say most of the time, it shouldn't affect my reputation. Lots of times, I report spam even when I'm just "lurking" (although quite active), and sometimes that post count helps, but in most cases it's really obvious who is the spammer and who isn't....so in my opinion, I'd say sure, get rid of the thing....who knows, this just might be the thing that'll bring back ol' Rappy(?), lol...who seemed to be obsessed with the whole post count thing. :laugh: (I hope this message is Rappy? approved)

no, keep it as it is....

I'd most likely follow a link from someone with a higher post count then a lower post count...

it's a forum staple...