• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

POLL: Move post count to profiles only?

Removing post count from posts  

549 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+Gary7    7,372

Why? What good will it do?

Ferret    6

Whats the outcome to this ? Are postcounts staying ?

And what happened to our location ?

ViperAFK    797

Its pretty much an exact tie, I'd imagine it will stay as is.

CrashG    439

And what happened to our location ?

It's been moved to your profile page.

Udedenkz    51

Exchange location for post count.

Dance.    21

Most people think post count = epeen and thus weigh the posters' content accordingly. Remove it already, it'll help build a healthier community.

+jamesyfx    362

It looks like everything will be staying as it is - the polls are pretty much split down the middle. Which means nothing should change.

DClark    45

Only some "anti-G8 hipsters" would have a problem with post counts being displayed. Experience is authority.

Chemaz    31

I vote remove it, i sometimes do feel members with lower post counts, their opinions/posts dont mean as much compared to posts from members with 1000+ posts

Im not saying its a widespread problem, but id say its defo there. (though i havent really experienced a big issue with it)

I personally dont see the point in it, it should be quality over quantity, and having post counts shown kinda enforces quantity if you want to be respected

Piggy    199

I'd rather keep it to see the one post wonders and new trouble makers.

• Like 1

Skeezy    0

I would prefer that posts counts be hidden from everyone (with the exception of the User, and Staff). I've been on other forums where they do this and what happens is people post to further conversations, not to increase their post counts (and raise their ePeen so to speak).

ViperAFK    797

I think there are lot less people who post "just to increase their post count" then you think there is. Some people will always be dumb spammers.

+warwagon    13,037

I think the post counts are good so you can tell if someone posting is new to the forum if they have been a member for a while. I know you can look at the joined date, but my eyes always look at the post count first.

petrossa    156

I don't really care one way or the other but for reason of aesthetics i vote move it. It looks a bit garish all those stars.

spacer    988

Keep the post counts visible in the threads. I use them to determine whether the post is legitimate or not. (i.e. if the poster only has 1 or 2 total posts and they put a link on the thread, I don't click on it.)

• Like 2

IceDogg    3

Keep the post counts visible in the threads. I use them to determine whether the post is legitimate or not. (i.e. if the poster only has 1 or 2 total posts and they put a link on the thread, I don't click on it.)

That's actually a very good point. I think it changed my mind. But maybe remove the stars and such so it's not such a flashy thing? Btw, rep for a very good point!

Calum    819

That's the issue though. Sometimes such posts are legitimate. What if a member joined to help out (after being a lurker for some years) and he makes his first post helping somebody with a technology problem, pointing them to a helpful tutorial? It could happen, but that post and poster will get shunned and ignored by many, simply due to the fact he has such a low post count (1 post at that point). Post count is not a status symbol. It may show one's dedication to the community, but somebody with one post may be more than capable of helping somebody else than another person with 23,458 posts.

• Like 3

RadishTM    312

That's the issue though. Sometimes such posts are legitimate. What if a member joined to help out (after being a lurker for some years) and he makes his first post helping somebody with a technology problem, pointing them to a helpful tutorial? It could happen, but that post and poster will get shunned and ignored by many, simply due to the fact he has such a low post count (1 post at that point). Post count is not a status symbol. It may show one's dedication to the community, but somebody with one post may be more than capable of helping somebody else than another person with 23,458 posts.

/Off-topic

Noes! Why are you a Veteran now?! :o :(

Calum    819

/Off-topic

Noes! Why are you a Veteran now?! :o :(

I decided to leave due to lack of time and other commitments in my personal life :( Hopefully I'll be able to re-join if I get more time in a year or so :)

Growled    3,880

Gosh Calum, that's terrible news. You will definitely be missed.

• Like 1

NeoXY    7

No. Because I'm shallow.

Yes I will admit to that.

(Although its interesting to see how its so evenly split between yes and nos on the poll)

RadishTM    312

I decided to leave due to lack of time and other commitments in my personal life :( Hopefully I'll be able to re-join if I get more time in a year or so :)

Ah well, hope you come back on staff in the future :)

petrossa    156

Well put. +1 oops.

*RedBull*    608

This subject was brought up in the staff forums, along with warning status bar view.

On the update, members can only see their own warning status bar on their profile. In posts they have been removed, the thinking behind this was to relieve possible stress certain members might have while posting, because their warn status is right there after each post they make. Staff will still be able to see every members warning status on every forum post that's made.

The other idea was also to remove "post count" from the post view, but keep it in the profiles. This would go a long way to making posts more equal, an opinion by a member can't then be based off the post count and time span of contribution.

I was against this idea, but I think its fair to at least poll it!

So, what do you guys think?

PS: Unless there's an overwhelming vote to remove post counts from posts, we'll keep it.

I'm with you Boss. ;)

Dance.    21

If you're having issues with the spam you should check out the date registered rather than the number of posts :).