• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

2010 Summer Football Transfers

Recommended Posts

Damo R.    29,658

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has revealed that he is close to bringing in further defensive reinforcements.

The Gunners are looking to bolster their ranks before the transfer window closes on 31st August.

They have identified the back four as one area they wish to strengthen and are currently focusing their efforts on finding suitable recruits.

Wenger insists little progress has been made over the weekend, with the club having been occupied by their 6-0 mauling of Blackpool, but claims a deal is in the pipeline.

"Not at the moment. We got a bit closer today, but not yet," he told Sky Sports when asked if an agreement had been put in place for a fresh face.

Short

Wenger is known to be in the market for a new goalkeeper, with Fulham's Mark Schwarzer a top target, but the Frenchman insists the next arrival at Emirates Stadium is unlikely to be a shot-stopper.

He added: "It's not the goalkeeping situation, we are a bit short defensively and on that front we have got a bit closer. Nothing has been signed though."

Reports suggest that Sevilla centre-half Sebastien Squillaci is the man Wenger has set his sights on, but the Arsenal manager continues to play his cards close to his chest regarding the identity of transfer targets.

"I will leave you to guess, but you are usually not bad at guessing," he smiled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

JOSE MOURINHO is ready to raid Arsenal for left-back Gael Clichy.

The Real Madrid boss is desperate to bring two new full-backs to the Bernabeu but is unlikely to land his top targets, Chelsea?s Ashley Cole and Inter Milan star Maicon. Now Mourinho has set his sights on Clichy and Lyon?s Michel Bastos.

People Sport understands Arsenal are aware of Real?s interest in Clichy and Gunners boss Wenger must now decide whether or not he feels Kieran Gibbs is ready to take over as his first-choice left-back. (Sunday People)

For a few seasons now it has appeared that all is not 100% with Gael Clichy. The French international has repeatedly been linked with moves away from the Emirates and after seven years at the club he is a big money target for Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho. The new Bernabeu boss is rumoured to be lining up a bid in the region of ?16m for the 25 year old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Valerus    1

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has revealed that he is close to bringing in further defensive reinforcements.

The Gunners are looking to bolster their ranks before the transfer window closes on 31st August.

They have identified the back four as one area they wish to strengthen and are currently focusing their efforts on finding suitable recruits.

Wenger insists little progress has been made over the weekend, with the club having been occupied by their 6-0 mauling of Blackpool, but claims a deal is in the pipeline.

"Not at the moment. We got a bit closer today, but not yet," he told Sky Sports when asked if an agreement had been put in place for a fresh face.

Short

Wenger is known to be in the market for a new goalkeeper, with Fulham's Mark Schwarzer a top target, but the Frenchman insists the next arrival at Emirates Stadium is unlikely to be a shot-stopper.

He added: "It's not the goalkeeping situation, we are a bit short defensively and on that front we have got a bit closer. Nothing has been signed though."

Reports suggest that Sevilla centre-half Sebastien Squillaci is the man Wenger has set his sights on, but the Arsenal manager continues to play his cards close to his chest regarding the identity of transfer targets.

"I will leave you to guess, but you are usually not bad at guessing," he smiled.

PLEASE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kostaz    3

Methinks Arsenal signed Squillaci.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

Yoann Gourcuff wants to join Lyon

Amidst interest from Lyon, Yoann Gourcuff has met Bordeaux chiefs and told them of his desire to leave the club for Stade Gerland.

Lyon have made a couple of attempts to sign Bordeaux midfield maestro Yoann Gourcuff this summer but there have been no major developments, until recently.

According to L?Equipe, the player has met the club leaders on Saturday, expressing his desire to join Lyon.

Gourcuff seems to have become disillusioned with life at Stade Chaban Delmas after the departure of his mentor Laurent Blanc and the very poor start of the season and he will try to persuade the club management to let him leave the club.

Lyon have reportedly already reached an agreement with the midfielder but they are yet to send a formal offer to les Girondins. Les Gones could invest the money they are set to earn from Real Madrid-bound Michel Bastos to fund the purchase of Bordeaux playmaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

David Trezeguet's agent claims Liverpool are interested in signing the Juventus forward.

Reports in Italy claim Liverpool made an enquiry for Trezeguet after allowing Alberto Aquilani to join Juve on loan.

Reds boss Roy Hodgson is keen to bolster his attacking options before the close of the transfer window and he is believed to be considering a swoop for French international Trezeguet.

Trezeguet's future at Juve has been the subject of speculation for some time with the Frenchman dropping down the pecking order at the Bianconeri.

The player's agent, Antonio Caliendo, admits Liverpool and Spanish duo Real Zaragoza and Hercules are chasing Trezeguet's signature.

"An interest of Liverpool? There are requests, not just of Liverpool," Caliendo told calciomercato.it.

"In Spain there is the interest of Real Zaragoza and Hercules.

"We are considering [offers], today is a day of reflection, we will know more tomorrow."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deuz    2

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

AC Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani claims the club are in negotiations with Barcelona over Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

The Sweden international striker's agent Mino Raiola insisted earlier on Monday that the 28-year-old will remain at Barca, despite Milan boss Massimiliano Allegri's interest.

But Galliani has now revealed the two clubs are in talks over the forward, and says he will meet with Camp Nou president Sandro Rosell to discuss the financial details on Wednesday.

"The negotiation for Ibrahimovic is officially open," Galliani told gazzetta.it.

"On Wednesday I'll meet the president of Barcelona, Rosell.

"The negotiations will be difficult. We have not talked about the financial side yet."

Ibrahimovic has been heavily linked with a move away from the Catalan giants, despite only arriving from Milan's fierce Serie A rivals Inter last summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

Skysports.com understands there are fresh doubts surrounding Javier Mascherano's future at Liverpool amid reports he has refused to play against Manchester City. :unsure:

Mascherano has expressed a wish to leave Anfield before the close of the transfer window for personal reasons and has been linked with Barcelona and Inter Milan.

New Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is hoping to hold on to the midfielder, but has stressed the club will not sell the 26-year-old on the cheap.

Hodgson stated last week that the Reds had not received any offers for the Argentina international, but reports now claim Barcelona have made a bid.

It is understood that Barca's offer has been rejected and that has led to claims that Mascherano will not feature against City on Monday night as a result.

The former West Ham man started Liverpool's opening 1-1 draw at home to Arsenal, but missed the Europa League tie through Trabzonspor through injury.

His place in the team to take on potential title rivals City is likely to be taken by Lucas, who filled in for Mascherano against Trabzonspor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kostaz    3

I was about to post that,according to my sources the bid was around 19mil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martyn    5

They bid ?12 million. Cheeky twats.

We paid ?18 million for him in the process of rescuing him for West Ham reserves.

Yaya Toure is apparently worth ?24 million according to Barca, and Masch is the better player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

2059: Now then, a bit more emerging about Javier Mascherano's non-selection this evening. Sky Sports News reported earlier that Barcelona had made a ?12m bid for the Argentine midfielder, but the Daily Telegraph's football correspondent Jason Burt has just tweeted: "Barcelona offered 23m euros plus Alexander Hleb for Mascherano, but Liverpool have rejected it. They want 30m euros in cash, Barcelona will make a new offer..." Could run for a while, this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kostaz    3

I've even read that Barcelona have bid ?12m today plus Hleb and Caceres, the clubs are in talks over the fee and he's been left out as a precaution.

Thank god they don't have too long now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kralik    3

They bid ?12 million. Cheeky twats.

We paid ?18 million for him in the process of rescuing him for West Ham reserves.

Yaya Toure is apparently worth ?24 million according to Barca, and Masch is the better player.

Barca are also broke.. they cant afford top players for top cash plus they are arrogant *******..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

West Ham have sold Alessandro Diamanti to Brescia for 2.2m euros (?1.8m).

The 27-year-old forward cost the Upton Park club ?6m when they signed him from Livorno in August 2009.

He scored eight goals in 29 games for the Hammers in the 2009-2010 season but has played only 17 minutes of Avram Grant's first two games as manager.

West Ham said in a statement that the sale of Diamanti would "release space in the squad for another player to be brought in".

Brescia won the last promotion spot to Serie A after winning a play-off against Torino at the end of last season.

Should they do enough this season to remain in Italy's top flight for another term, another 300,000 euros (?245,000) will be payable to West Ham.

The Hammers added: "Diamanti faced stiff competition for a first-team place with the arrivals of Pablo Barrera, Thomas Hitzlsperger and Frederic Piquionne."

The club concluded its media release by revealing it "could unveil more exciting new faces before the transfer window shuts [on 31 August]."

West Ham, with no points from their first two Premier League games this season, have been linked with a move for Lorient striker Kevin Gameiro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kralik    3
to be honest, the fees talked about in the media, ?18m is the latest, and the fact that barcelona are treating big clubs of english football like arsenal, and now liverpool like dirt is a disgrace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rajputwarrior    280

i don't think mascherano will be going anywhere during this transfer window

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kostaz    3

Barcelona are no strangers to disgrace but hardly anyone mentions that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kralik    3

Arsenal have set their sights on Dutch international keeper Maarten Stekelenburg.

The 27-year-old stopper has been linked with an Ajax exit this summer, and Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is set to make the player his new No.1 target as his search for a goalkeeper continues.

...

Wenger is also reportedly considering a move for Stekelenburg's Ajax teammate Jan Vertonghen who was part of the Dutch giants quality centre defensive partnership with a certain Thomas Vermaelen who has of course been a major success at the Emirates since his move to the club last summer. Vertonghen also plays alongside Vermaelen in the Belgian national team set up.

Ajax are in financial dire straits and have admitted they could sell some of their squad before the transfer window closes as they look to make up for big losses incurred over the past few seasons. The club is hoping to negotiate their Champions League qualifier against Dynamo Kiev.

blink.gifhuh.gif Wenger spending? Surely these are just rumours..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deuz    2

this kid is probably a better buy for you considering his age. he is decent. In saying that he is going to cost a bit(lot) more methinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kralik    3

Won't happen for precisely that reason mate.. he's "the right age".. Wenger just signed Koscienly and is keeping Nordtveit at the club this season (although I read he wants to use him as a Sagna replacement in RB position) plus Djourou is back.. he will sign Squillaci for 2-3 years and then Nordtveit and Koscienly will be ready to replace him.. thats how Wenger thinks..

Same goes for GK.. I'd sign Akinfeev.. sell Flappy.. keep Almunia as backup till Sczency is ready and then go from there.. but Wenger doesn't want to sell any of these keepers (2 of which are not "keepers" if you know what I mean) which he believes have "class"

Money is not a problem.. I may have mentioned before.. the transfer kitty was £45 mil this summer..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deuz    2

Won't happen for precisely that reason mate.. he's "the right age".. Wenger just signed Koscienly and is keeping Nordtveit at the club this season (although I read he wants to use him as a Sagna replacement in RB position) plus Djourou is back.. he will sign Squillaci for 2-3 years and then Nordtveit and Koscienly will be ready to replace him.. thats how Wenger thinks..

Same goes for GK.. I'd sign Akinfeev.. sell Flappy.. keep Almunia as backup till Sczency is ready and then go from there.. but Wenger doesn't want to sell any of these keepers (2 of which are not "keepers" if you know what I mean) which he believes have "class"

Money is not a problem.. I may have mentioned before.. the transfer kitty was ?45 mil this summer..

from another forum, i was reading that this was why schwarzher would be an ideal GK because he would be good for another two years then be able to mentor/ have some coaching role and for that purpose is comparatively cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

Sky Sports News understands that Inter Milan striker Victor Obinna is having a medical at West Ham.

It was reported earlier this week that the Hammers were in talks with Obinna over personal terms.

And an agreement has now been reached with the 23-year-old undergoing a medical on Wednesday at Upton Park.

Hammers boss Avram Grant is desperate to bolster his attacking options after seeing his side score just once in their first two Premier League games and then scrape past Oxford in the Carling Cup.

Grant turned to Obinna after being forced to put his efforts to sign Manchester City's Felipe Caicedo on hold and Inter were willing to loan out the Nigeria international.

The former Chievo frontman went close to a move to Everton two years ago only for work permit problems to scupper the deal.

He has scored 11 goals in 34 internationals for Nigeria and played two games at this summer's World Cup before scoring once in Inter's 3-0 friendly win over Manchester City in the USA in pre-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has confirmed he has spoken to former club Fulham regarding a possible move for Paul Konchesky.

Skysports.com revealed earlier on Wednesday that Liverpool had lined up a deal for Konchesky as Hodgson seeks to bring in a new left-back.

Konchesky joined Fulham three years ago from West Ham United and was a regular during Hodgson's time at Craven Cottage.

A reunion with his old boss could now be on the cards after Hodgson acknowledged he has discussed a potential swoop for the 29-year-old.

However, the recently-appointed Reds boss is unsure whether the twice-capped England international will pitch up at Anfield.

"We had discussions with Fulham about whether they were prepared to sell any of their players and I would be lying if I said Paul was not a name we considered," said Hodgson on his arrival in Trabzon for their Europa League play-off second leg tie.

"Whether or not there is a chance of business is still very much up in the air."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,658

Fulham have agreed a deal to sign Dutch club PSV Eindhoven's Mexico international left-back Carlos Salcido.

PSV told BBC Sport that the 30-year-old Salcido, who has also been linked with Liverpool, has still to agree personal terms in a move reportedly worth ?1.6m.

Liverpool have been holding talks with Fulham over the possibility of signing their Fulham left-back Paul Konchesky.

Salcido, who played for Mexico in the World Cup in South Africa, joined PSV from Mexican club Guadalajara in 2006.

PSV would not specify the length of the contract.

Earlier this week Fulham confirmed the signing of 23-year-old Algerian defender Rafik Halliche from Benfica for an undisclosed fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.