2010 Summer Football Transfers

Championship side Middlesbrough have rejected Liverpool's bid for goalkeeper Brad Jones.

As revealed by skysports.com earlier on Thursday, Liverpool had lodged a bid for the Australian international.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is keen to bring in Jones to provide cover and competition for No.1 keeper Pepe Reina.

The Reds are believed to have tabled a ?2million bid for the 28-year-old as they look to tie up a deal before the close of the transfer window.

However, Middlesbrough are understood to have shunned Liverpool's bid as Gordon Strachan looks to keep hold of the keeper.

It remains to be seen if Liverpool will come back with a new, improved bid for Jones or switch their attentions elsewhere.

kind of happy with that, i'd rather brad jones get game time then be a backup because i doubt schwarzher will be there at the next world cup.

Christian Poulsen's agent has revealed he expects the Denmark international to complete his move to Liverpool next week.

The Reds are thought to have targeted a move for Juventus midfielder Poulsen as a direct replacement for wantaway star Javier Mascherano.

Juve are believed to be willing to offload Poulsen as he does not figure in new coach Luigi Del Neri's long-term plans.

Anfield boss Roy Hodgson is a big admirer of Poulsen and confirmed his interest in the defensive midfielder earlier this week.

Poulsen's represetative, Jorn Bonnesen, has held talks with Liverpool over a possible deal and he is confident the move could be wrapped up next week.

"It won't take more than a week before this is sorted out." Bonnesen told Ekstra Bladet.

"It might be already in the beginning of next week. Christian Poulsen is Roy's man.

"He will be playing as defensive midfielder at Liverpool. I returned home with a good and positive impression."

2 titles in 7 years or 7 titles in 2 years with your idol as the manager. Who would you wanna play for? I bet Cesc is quietly ****ed they threw 42mil at Valencia for Villa and now they simply can't find the money to facilitate another massive transfer fee.

2 titles in 7 years or 7 titles in 2 years with your idol as the manager. Who would you wanna play for? I bet Cesc is quietly ****ed they threw 42mil at Valencia for Villa and now they simply can't find the money to facilitate another massive transfer fee.

I'd play for Arsenal even if we get relegated.. but its not abt me.. its abt Cesc.. its abt 5 years he has on his contract that no one forced him to sign not even a year ago.. its abt all the hard work Arsenal has put into him.. no way we'll let him go for anything less than £50M.. hopefully Mourinho will win everything in Spain this season and run Barca to the ground.. they will have to apply for another loan to pay wages and no cash for transfers..

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has admitted James Milner could complete his protracted move to Manchester City this weekend.

The England midfielder did not feature as Villa drew 0-0 in their pre-season friendly against Valencia on Friday night.

And O'Neill revealed he had left the former Leeds United and Newcastle man on the sidelines due to ongoing progress in City's long-running pursuit.

"We didn't play him primarily because there could be something happening in terms of the transfer," O'Neill said.

"I thought it would be the best thing to do not to play him in case something develops over the weekend or Monday or Tuesday.

"I think there's been fresh contact. I couldn't tell you whether there's been a renewed offer.

"I think there is something in that there now, yes (getting it concluded quickly). I agree.

"I think that's for everyone's benefit really, it's probably time to get something done if it's at all possible.

"And I think that was the aim anyway when the teams were talking.

"But I'm unable to furnish you with further details at this moment."

Villa rejected a ?20million bid from City for Milner in May and put a ?30million price tag on the versatile midfielder.

O'Neill appears keen for the negotiations to come to a conclusion, despite again losing one of the club's better players to City following Gareth Barry's move last summer.

O'Neill added: "I think losing your best players at the football club would obviously cause you a headache.

"That's a problem, it's a problem because you're trying to build something and something like this happens.

"It happened obviously two seasons ago with Gareth - a few seasons ago now - the two years ago when it didn't get resolved and I'm not so sure anyone wants to go down that route again."

Birmingham are reportedly in advanced talks with Italy and Juventus midfielder Mauro Camoranesi over a move to St Andrews.

The 33-year-old has been strongly linked with a move away from Turin as his eight-year association with the club looks set to end.

And Vlado Borozan, the man playing the role of mediator between Juventus and Birmingham, has revealed that Camoranesi is close to sealing a move to England.

He told tuttomercatoweb: "The agreement for the transfer of Camoranesi has been reached.

"On Monday we'll go to England to arrange the final details, we are doing very well. Camoranesi said yes and is excited about this new adventure."

Borozan also claimed that the Blues are looking to bring fellow World Cup winner Fabio Grosso to St Andrews.

He added: "Birmingham also want Grosso. There is the desire to conclude this deal, now let's see if there are conditions and if there is the will of the player."

Deco to Flumineze for an undisclosed fee,probably the worst kept secret of this transfer period.

I'm slightly surprised though that we got something out of that deal.

The Chelsea fans wish him all the best.

Interesting to see an article abt Sagna praising Emir Spahich and how good he will be for Arsenal on the Arsenal.com homepage.. Does that mean we are on the verge of signing him? huh.gif

I admire the Bosnian team.. they have some very handy players.. Emir Spahich is very passionate and hard tackling defender.. we need someone like him.. would'nt also mind Pjanic for Denilson and Diaby and Edin Dzeko for Bendy.. Sejad Sahilovich and Zlatan Muslimovich good players too..

Skysports.com understands that a number of clubs will be watching Italy goalkeeper Federico Marchetti against the Ivory Coast in London on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old, who played the majority of the World Cup following an injury to Gianluigi Buffon, has been placed up for sale by Cagliari.

Arsenal and Fulham have been linked with Marchetti as a result, with a possible decision resting on which of the Premier League rivals are in possession of Mark Schwarzer come the end of the summer.

The fact that Marchetti was called up in South Africa appears to have raised his own ambitions, with the player publicly declaring that he was disappointed not to be given the opportunity to move to Sampdoria.

According to the shot-stopper, Cagliari asked for too much money from their Serie A rivals, denying him the chance to play UEFA Champions League football next season.

Anyone heard anything about this whole Friedel / Schwartzer rumor? One of the rumors floating around, is that O'Neill resigned, partly due to the Villa board agreeing to sell Friedel to Fulham, to replace Schwartzer who'd goto Arsenal.

Anyone heard anything about this whole Friedel / Schwartzer rumor? One of the rumors floating around, is that O'Neill resigned, partly due to the Villa board agreeing to sell Friedel to Fulham, to replace Schwartzer who'd goto Arsenal.

That was my first guess.. I tht he left coz they are selling all his best players and no one competitive is coming in and 'O Neil is a very competitive manager..

Newcastle poised to seal loan deal for in-demand Marseille midfielder Hatem Ben Arfa

Newcastle are closing in on a loan deal for the much sought after Marseille midfielder Hatem Ben Arfa.

The French winger is currently preparing to represent his country against Norway but is understood to have already given his approval to the move.

The initial year-long loan will cost the Magpies ?650,000 and will come with the option to make the deal permanent at the end of the season.

Chris Hughton has endured a frustrating summer in the transfer market up until now but it has pulled off a major coup is luring Ben Arfa to St James' Park.

Newcastle have beaten off competition from Everton, as well as German outfit Hoffenheim.

The 23-year-old joins defender James Perch and former Everton man Dan Gosling on Tyneside, adding attacking flair to a team short on creativity.

Ben Arfa, who is of Tunisian descent, has been angling for a move to the Premier League for a number of seasons after first catching the eye of Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

A turbulent two-year stint at Marseille has seen his stock drop markedly, yet he remains a potential match-winner at the highest level.

His recent call-up to Laurent Blanc's first France squad since Les Bleus shameful World Cup performance represents a giant step forward for the player who was mentioned in the same breathe as Zinedine Zidane when he broke through the Lyon ranks in 2004.

Newcastle have an extra couple of days to secure the deal ahead of the new season after their opening fixture against Manchester United was pushed back to Monday.

SOURCE

Massive scoop if we do get the kid. And with the issues he has had in the past, this could be perfect. And if not, then we can toss him back after the loan is over. Another surprisingly shrewd bit of business at Newcastle this transfer period.

West Ham United have agreed a deal with Ajax for Serbia forward Miralem Sulejmani.

The 21-year-old is Ajax's record signing after they paid Heerenveen over ?13million for his signature in 2008.

However, he is now looking to seal a move to England after West Ham agreed terms on a season-long loan for the Serbian.

And Sulejmani has admitted that he is relishing the prospect of playing for the Hammers and manager Avram Grant.

"I am happy that I will play in the strongest league in Europe," he told Sportski Zurnal.

"I think that I am up to the challenge and I am convinced that I will get the chance and the opportunities, as Avram Grant was very positive about my qualities."

Sulejmani admits he is pleased with the chance to move away from Ajax, suggesting he was not happy under coach Martin Jol.

"As Jol took over, my status changed and this is the biggest reason that I would like to change my environment," said Sulejmani.

Skysports.com understands that the deal is subject to a work permit being granted, and as it stands they would need to go to appeal as he does not meet the Premier League criteria.

It is believed West Ham will learn later this week whether Sulejmani will be granted his permit.

big blow to the chelsea defense.

Not really,we owe Riccy much and he's one of the best defenders to play for us but he hasn't been fit for the last two years and Alex played a bigger role in last season's double.

One of the best center backs of the last decade,formed an incredible partnership with Terry.He'll be missed much more than any player we released this summer.

Chris Hughton has quashed reports implying Newcastle are on the verge of signing Marseille winger Hatem Ben Arfa.

Some media circles have suggested the newly promoted Premier League outfit have targeted the France international and were close to agreeing a loan deal for the former Lyon schemer.

But Hughton, who is preparing for Monday's opener at Manchester United, insists no deal is in place for the talented 23-year-old.

He told Sky Sports News: "There isn't anything. We are aware of the speculation and that he has been linked to us but he is very much a Marseille player. There hasn't been any direct contact."

The race to sign one of the world's most promising young soccer talents took an intriguing twist Wednesday, when a player profile for Mesut Oezil briefly appeared on Manchester United?s official website. :rofl:

The page was empty and had a blank space instead of a photo but was clearly headed "Mesut Ozil" -- sending United fans into a frenzy as they awaited official confirmation of the marquee signing.

The English Premier League team was quick to dismiss the development as nothing more than a ?technical glitch,? although its manager Sir Alex Ferguson is known to be a keen admirer of the 21-year-old who made his name playing for Germany at this summer's World Cup.

Ferguson watched the silky-skilled midfielder play for Werder Bremen Saturday as the German team traveled to England to take on Fulham in a friendly game.

The capture of Oezil would be seen as a coup for United, with the young German a possible long-term replacement for veteran playmaker Paul Scholes.

Oezil hinted last month at the World Cup that he would be interested in moving to England, describing the Premier League as "attractive." However, a string of top European clubs including Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona are also reportedly interested in his signing.

Manchester United have struck an agreement which will see Portuguese striker Bebe move to Old Trafford.

The 20-year-old will join United subject to passing a medical later in the week.

The Red Devils have already agreed a deal with Bebe's current employers Vitoria Guimaraes.

Personal terms have also been ironed out, paving the way for the move to be completed.

The youngster will move to England for an undisclosed fee, bolstering United's attacking unit in the process.

Reports suggest the fee involved could be somewhere in the region of ?7.4million.

Sir Alex Ferguson has swooped for the burly frontman just five weeks after he signed for Guimaraes, agreeing to match his buy-out clause.

Bebe had been recommended to the United boss by the club's former assistant manager Carlos Queiroz, who is now in charge of the Portugal national side.

He has shown his potential during pre-season with a number of well-taken goals and will bring power and pace to the Red Devils' frontline.

His arrival does come as something of a surprise, though, as United already have eight senior strikers on their books and Ferguson has often stated that he was not looking to add to his squad.