2010 Summer Football Transfers

Jones secures Liverpool move: report

Socceroos goalkeeper Brad Jones has reportedly secured a dream move to English Premier League giants Liverpool. London's Daily Mail reports Liverpool have agreed a ?2 million ($A3.49 million) deal with Middlesbrough to bring the 28-year-old Australian to Anfield. New manager Roy Hodgson had been keen to bolster his goalkeeping stocks behind No.1 keeper Pepe Reina. Liverpool had reportedly had an initial ?1.5 million ($A2.62 million) bid for Jones rejected.Jones sat out Boro's Carling Cup victory over Chesterfield on Tuesday as the clubs continued to negotiate his release.

The move would cap a turbulent period for Jones, who left Australia's World Cup squad just before the start of the tournament after his four-year-old son was diagnosed with leukaemia. Jones has spent over a decade in England after joining Middlesbrough's youth setup in 1999 from Western Australia side Bayswater City.

He has made 58 appearances for Boro and has spent time on loan with clubs including Sheffield Wednesday and Blackpool.

Kind of happy. he is with a good team now, but i dont think he is going to get a lot of starts....

Liverpool have signed Denmark international Christian Poulsen on a three-year contract from Italian club Juventus for an initial fee of ?4.5m.

The defensive midfielder, 30, has been earmarked by manager Roy Hodgson as a potential replacement for Javier Mascherano, who wants to leave Anfield.

Poulsen joins new signings Joe Cole, Milan Jovanovic, Jonjo Shelvey and Danny Wilson at the club this summer.

He knows Hodgson, having joined FC Copenhagen when he was boss in 2000.

Poulsen, who has also played for Schalke and Sevilla, has 77 Denmark caps.

Argentina captain Mascherano asked Hodgson for a transfer on the day he returned to pre-season training after an extended break following the World Cup.

Mascherano refused to discuss his future when asked after playing in Argentina's friendly against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin on Wednesday.

"I will not talk about that - I am still a Liverpool player but I can't say any more," said Mascherano.

Phil Jagielka insists he is staying with Everton after being linked with a move to Premier League rivals Arsenal.

Although Arsene Wenger has brought in Frenchman Laurent Koscielny this summer, he remains on the lookout for another defender.

England international Jagielka's name has now been mentioned, although the 27-year-old remains a firm favourite under David Moyes.

The Everton boss has told Jagielka he is not leaving and the ex-Sheffield United stopper has no qualms about doing as he is told.

"There's nothing I can do about the speculation, but the gaffer has pulled me aside and told me I'm not going anywhere," explained Jagielka.

"I'm happy with that. I'm an Everton player, I love playing for the club, and I'm just going to get on with my job there."

Denied!

West Ham United have been forced to abandon their bid for Ajax's Miralem Sulejmani after he failed to secure a work permit, skysports.com understands.

The Hammers had agreed a deal with the Dutch giants to sign Sulejmani, who is Ajax's record signing after they paid Heerenveen more than ?13million for his services just two years ago.

However, Sulejmani - a Serbian international - has just eight caps to his name and they have been spread over two years, meaning he did not automatically qualify for a work permit under Premier League criteria.

West Ham appealed the decision, but an independent football panel ruled against Avram Grant's side, who had been hoping to include Sulejmani in their squad ahead of their opening game at Aston Villa this weekend.

Now Grant will turn elsewhere with deals in the pipeline for Manchester City's Felipe Caicedo and former Middlesbrough forward Jeremie Aliadiere.

Santos president Luis Alvaro Ribeiro is considering reporting Chelsea to Fifa regarding the Premier League club's pursuit of Neymar.

Chelsea are keen to bring the highly-rated striker to Stamford Bridge, but their approach has incurred the wrath of Ribeiro.

Reports have claimed that representatives of Chelsea met with Neymar's agent and family in New York earlier this week ahead of Brazil's friendly against the USA.

Neymar opened the scoring in Brazil's 2-0 win to further enhance his reputation and there have subsequently been claims he has agreed personal terms with Chelsea.

However, Ribeiro insists Santos have not accepted any offer from the Blues and he is now weighing up whether to pursue the matter with Fifa.

"The club have made a formal offer that was rejected outright," Ribeiro told a news conference. "But the harassment has continued.

"In light of the ethical positions that should govern the relationship between clubs, that is totally intolerable and Santos will defend its interests before Fifa."

Neymar does have a buy-out clause in his current contract which stands at ?35million (?28.8m), while Chelsea have reportedly only offered ?20million (?16.5m) to date.

Ribeiro is aware Santos can do nothing to stop Neymar leaving if the clause is activated, but is adamant no meaningful talks have taken place with Chelsea.

He added: "Yesterday, there was a telephone call. They got in touch with my secretary and asked for our fax number.

"That does not mean the opening for trading. Santos has no interest in negotiating over Neymar for any money.

"The contract between the player and the club has a compensation clause. If the clause is satisfied, we can not do anything."

Stephen Ireland demand delays James Milner move

James Milner's move to Manchester City is being held up by Stephen Ireland's demand for a ?2m payment to leave Eastlands, BBC Sport understands.

City have offered Aston Villa ?18m for England midfielder Milner, 24, with Ireland moving in the opposite direction as part of the deal.

But Ireland is understood to be insisting on receiving ?2m from City, a sum the club are unwilling to pay.

The Milner deal is unlikely to go through until the issue is resolved.

bbc sport

Spanish giants Barcelona are set to land Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano, after striking a deal with the Reds, according to reports.

The deal will be comprised of a player-plus-cash offer, with the Anfield outfit set to receive midfielder Aliaksandr Hleb and approximately ?15 million for the Argentina captain, according to Ole.

The report also claims that the player's agent has already met with Barcelona officials, and confirmation of the deal could come in the next few days.

Mascherano had recently expressed his desire to leave the Reds and join the Spanish side, or reunite with former coach Rafael Benitez at European champions Inter.

The Blaugrana were seeking another midfielder, after Yaya Toure departed the Camp Nou for Manchester City during the summer.

It's finally over! :sleep:

Manchester City have completed the signing of Mario Balotelli from Inter Milan on a five-year contract.

Roberto Mancini has been an admirer of the young Italian striker since working with him at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza.

He identified Balotelli as a transfer target earlier this summer and negotiations between the two clubs have been ongoing for several weeks.

Mancini finally announced on Friday that a deal was imminent, with Balotelli jetting in to undergo a medical and discuss terms.

The move has now been finalised, with the 20-year-old arriving for an undisclosed fee thought to be in the region of ?24million.

The signing of Balotelli further increases competition for places in attack, although Mancini is convinced he has the talent to succeed in the Premier League.

"I think that Mario is one of the best players of his age in Europe, and I very happy to be working with him again," the manager told City's official website.

"His style of play will suit the Premier League, and because he is still so young there is a big chance for him to improve.

"He is a strong and exciting player, and City fans will enjoy watching him."

Having also brought in the likes of David Silva, Yaya Toure, Aleksandar Kolarov and Jerome Boateng, City will hope to challenge for the title this term.

Mancini's men begin their campaign against Tottenham on Saturday in the opening game of the new season, although Balotelli is not set to feature.

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has confirmed that keeper Mark Schwarzer has handed in a transfer request at Craven Cottage.

The experienced Australian shot-stopper has been tracked by Arsenal this summer, a club who saw a bid in May rejected by Fulham.

Hughes is not looking to cash in on the ex-Middlesbrough keeper and says any further bids from Arsenal would not be welcomed.

The ex-Manchester City manager says that unless The Gunners come back with any fresh offers then the 37-year-old is staying in West London.

"My understanding is that he has handed in a transfer request," said Hughes. "He has indicated that he would like the opportunity to leave.

"Obviously we haven't encouraged Arsenal to come back to the table because they haven't been back since May.

---

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini believes the time has come for Stephen Ireland to leave Eastlands.

The former Republic of Ireland international has spent his entire career with City and is on a long-term contract with the club.

Ireland has been tipped to join Aston Villa as part of the deal that sees James Milner join City, although a pay-off is curtailing the deal.

Italian tactician Mancini knows Ireland is a good player, but feels the time has now come for the 23-year-old to grow elsewhere.

"Stephen Ireland is a good player but he has been here all his life and he needs to change," said Mancini.

"Sometimes it can happen that a player stays with the same squad for 15 years and plays well but a moment arrives when he needs to change.

"Now is time for him. I really think he can improve."

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has confirmed that keeper Mark Schwarzer has handed in a transfer request at Craven Cottage.

The experienced Australian shot-stopper has been tracked by Arsenal this summer, a club who saw a bid in May rejected by Fulham.

Hughes is not looking to cash in on the ex-Middlesbrough keeper and says any further bids from Arsenal would not be welcomed.

The ex-Manchester City manager says that unless The Gunners come back with any fresh offers then the 37-year-old is staying in West London.

"My understanding is that he has handed in a transfer request," said Hughes. "He has indicated that he would like the opportunity to leave.

"Obviously we haven't encouraged Arsenal to come back to the table because they haven't been back since May.

PLEASE SIGN THE GUY. I can't stand to see our horrendous blunders day in and day out.

Tomorrow's just another day.. sadly.. more blunders to come..

even though i really hope schwarzher gets signed. arsenal should honestly try to get him on a one year contract with an option for two.

even though i really hope schwarzher gets signed. arsenal should honestly try to get him on a one year contract with an option for two.

Yeah.. It's not like we don't need a long term replacement.. Akinfeev would have been the perfect choice.. for me he ticks all the right boxes to be of the best keeper at a big club.. he has performed well in big tournaments.. UCL and Euro.. and is the number 1 for his national side.. plus he is young.. I would sell Almunia and Flappy in a second and sign him if I get a chance.. but Wenger somehow believes these clowns will magically improve somehow.. they have shown no signs of that in the pre-season though..

Premier League champions Chelsea are reportedly close to completing a ?25million deal for Neymar, with his agent insisting the Brazil striker does not want to stay in South America.

Santos president Luis Alvaro Ribeiro has hit out at Chelsea's conduct in their pursuit of his club's star forward and has reportedly rejected the West London's opening bid of ?20m for the 18-year-old.

However, the youngster has set his sights on a move to Europe after being courted by the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United and Manchester City, as well as Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus and Barcelona.

Chelsea seem confident that Neymar, who recently marked his Brazil debut with a goal in a 2-0 win over the USA, will sign for the Stamford Bridge club and join compatriot Ramires, who signed from Benfica last week.

Neymar's agent, Wagner Ribeiro, said in The Daily Star Sunday: "It is useless for Santos to offer Neymar a pay rise.

"He wants to become the best player in the world.

"The chances of him doing that while playing in Brazil are zero."

Ribero claims that Chelsea officials have already met the player and his father to discuss personal terms.

Meanwhile, the player recently denied that he has already agreed to join Carlo Ancelotti's side before the end of the transfer window, telling journalists in Brazil: "I want to stay at Santos and win more titles."

Cardiff City would 'love' to sign Craig Bellamy amid reports the Manchester City striker will join the Championship club on loan.

Bellamy appears poised to leave City before the close of the transfer window as he is not expected to be part of Roberto Mancini's 25-man squad for the Premier League season.

He was not involved in Saturday's 0-0 draw at Tottenham Hotspur and has been linked with a move to several clubs.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp appears to have conceded defeat in his bid to sign the 31-year-old and had suggested Bellamy would link up with former City boss Mark Hughes at Fulham.

Celtic had also been linked with a move for Bellamy, while Dave Jones felt Cardiff were outsiders to sign the attacker.

However, it is now understood that the Wales international will join home-town club Cardiff on a six-month loan and the deal will be confirmed on Monday.

A Cardiff spokesman said: "With the number and the names of the clubs being mentioned in connection to Craig it is flattering that we are an option, but at this stage it is pure speculation.

"Being connected to a player of this calibre shows how far we have come, to be even considered in a deal like this.

"We would love it to happen of course, but we are by no means alone in this."

Manuel Almunia has admitted he could be forced to leave Arsenal if Arsene Wenger brings in a new goalkeeper.

Wenger has been linked with a host of goalkeepers this summer as he looks to bolster his squad, with Fulham ace Mark Schwarzer believed to be the Frenchman's top target.

Almunia started Arsenal's draw with Liverpool in their first game of the new Premier League season, but he was criticised for not keeping out David Ngog's opener.

The Spaniard admits he has been frustrated by the constant speculation about a new goalkeeper arriving at Emirates Stadium, saying it has affected his confidence.

"To be honest, it is so difficult to concentrate because Arsenal is a big club and speculation is always in the news and everywhere," Almunia told the London Evening Standard.

"The only thing I can do is keep working because I have a contract here and I have to do what the manager wants from me.

"I have not spoken to him. If somebody comes in, I will have to talk about my future at Arsenal. That is it. I cannot talk now, because the talking would be for nothing. I have to work and if one day I am not good for Arsenal, I will talk. That is no problem. I am very happy here.

"The only news I have is from third parties - people at the training ground. When I go out and when I come back from training, I switch off."

---

Skysports.com understands Liverpool are preparing a bid for PSV Eindhoven forward Ola Toivonen.

New Reds boss Roy Hodgson has admitted he is keen to bolster his attacking options and Toivonen is thought to be top of his wanted list.

Toivonen is regarded as one of the best young players in Europe after catching the eye for club and country in the last few years.

The Swedish international only joined PSV in January 2009 and he has netted 24 goals in 49 appearances for the Dutch giants.

Liverpool scouts have watched Toivonen in action on a couple of occasions and Hodgson is thought to have cast an eye over him as he scored in Sweden's win over Scotland last week.

The 24-year-old has started the season in fine form with five goals in his first two games for PSV and a number of top clubs are believed to be monitoring his situation.

However, Liverpool are ready to steal a march on their rivals by making a bid in excess of ?10million for the versatile attacker.

PSV are reluctant to lose Toivonen, but Liverpool are prepared to make a mega bid to force the Dutch club's hand and take the Swede to Anfield.

Liverpool have completed the signing of Middlesbrough goalkeeper Brad Jones.

As revealed by skysports.com Jones was at Anfield for a medical after Liverpool finally agreed a ?2.3million fee with Boro for the Australian.

Jones has signed a three-year deal at Liverpool after passing a medical and agreeing personal terms.

Liverpool have been chasing Jones for the last few weeks as Roy Hodgson looks to bring in cover and competition for No.1 Pepe Reina.

It is understood the deal has been held up by a difference of opinion over how the fee of ?2.3million was to be paid.

Jones, who qualifies as a 'home-grown' player, is Liverpool's seventh signing of the summer.

Liverpool have completed the signing of Middlesbrough goalkeeper Brad Jones.

Wow!! great signing... no one saw this one coming! I'm surprised Jones is ready to be a number 2 keeper while Almunia says he will leave if we sign another keeper.. wacko.gif

Sky Sports News understands that Manchester City have agree a fee with Aston Villa for England international James Milner.

The 24-year-old has been tracked by City for most of the summer and it now appears as though Roberto Mancini will get his man.

Milner has been at Villa's training ground on Tuesday morning but will now travel to Manchester to undergo a medical with the City of Manchester Stadium outfit.

Personal terms are not expected to be an issue for the ex-Newcastle and Leeds United midfielder, who is likely to put pen to paper on a multi-year contract.

Milner was one of Villa's best players last season with an impressive 12 assists for the Midlands outfit while he also weighed in with a healthy seven league strikes.

The talented playmaker featured in Villa's season-opener against West Ham and found the back of the net to wrap up a 3-0 win over The Hammers.

The move is expected to see midfielder Stephen Ireland, who has spent his entire career with City, move to Villa Park as part of the deal.

Real Madrid have completed the signing of Germany World Cup star Mesut Ozil from Werder Bremen.

The 21-year-old was in outstanding form during Germany's run to the semi-finals, and had attracted interest from some of Europe's biggest clubs.

The two clubs are believed to have agreed a fee of about 15m euros (?12.4m) for a player with one year left on his contract.

Ozil will undergo a medical in Madrid on Wednesday.

A statement on the Real website paid fulsome tribute to Ozil's qualities.

"His unique touch, unmatched individual technique, excellent ball control and deadly last pass make the German midfielder one of the brightest up-and-coming stars in European football," read the statement.

Real Madrid have completed the signing of Germany World Cup star Mesut Ozil from Werder Bremen.

Great (Y) I rather he joins them than any other team in the EPL or Barca if he's not coming to Arsenal..

EDIT: Looking at Real Madrid team now huh.gifblink.gif wow.. thats a super squad..

Great (Y) I rather he joins them than any other team in the EPL or Barca if he's not coming to Arsenal..

EDIT: Looking at Real Madrid team now huh.gifblink.gif wow.. thats a super squad..

yeah quite the super squad! but if they do anything that's the thing!