2010 Summer Football Transfers

Sky Sports News understands Manchester City are in talks with Real Madrid over the possible signings of Fernando Gago and Gonzalo Higuain.

City are looking to strengthen their squad over the summer after agonisingly missing out on UEFA Champions League qualification this season.

They have identified a number of transfer targets and appear keen to strike a deal with Real for Higuain and Gago.

Higuain has enjoyed a stunning campaign at the Santiago Bernabeu, although Argentina coach Diego Maradona recently claimed that Real had not contacted him about a contract renewal.

Compatriot Gago, who was linked with a move to City in January, also established himself as a key member of Manuel Pellegrini's team.

City would have to use all their financial muscle to prise the duo away from Spain but are understood to have entered negotiations with Real.

They are also thought to be in discussions with the representatives of Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko.

Jos? Mourinho has named Wayne Rooney as the player he would most like to sign for Real Madrid but conceded it would be "impossible" to persuade the England striker to leave Manchester United.

"I'm going to say it because it is impossible," Mourinho replied when asked to name one player he wanted to work with. "I would like to coach Rooney, as much for his football as for his mentality. But my friend, [sir] Alex Ferguson, can relax, because it's impossible."

Summer transfer news is going to be dominated by Real and Mourinho..

Former Inter Milan striker Adriano hopes to banish the memories of his torrid time in Italy as he closes in on a move to Roma.

The Brazil international was once considered one of the best players in the world after an impressive start to life at Giuseppe Meazza, but a number of personal problems and injuries saw him return home to Brazil, where he played for Flamengo.

The 28-year-old free agent is now expected to return to Serie A, with Claudio Ranieri's side close to landing the forward.

"There is no place like Italy where I can truly prove that I have recovered," Adriano told Corriere dello Sport.

"I thought about it long and hard and I'm happy to return to Italy. I want to cancel out what I did in Italy.

"I don't want to repeat the same things that happened before (at Inter). I owe it to Italy.

"More than money, my reasons for going to Roma is pride. I return to pay the debt I have with that country, that has always treated me very well and that I left on bad terms."

---

Everton are set to hold transfer talks with Leeds United striker Jermaine Beckford, Sky Sports News understands.

Beckford is now a free agent after the remaining one month of his Leeds United contract was cancelled by the club on Friday.

The striker spent a total of four-and-a-half years and scored 81 league goals in 126 appearances for the West Yorkshire outfit.

Beckford scored 25 league goals this season and while his tally dried up in the second half of the campaign, his winning effort against Bristol Rovers earlier this month clinched promotion.

The former Wealdstone marksman was heavily linked with a move to Newcastle in January following his FA Cup heroics against Manchester United.

Everton have been tipped to move for the 26-year-old in recent months and now it seems that manager David Moyes is one step closer to bolstering his attacking line.

Real Madrid will unveil Jose Mourinho as their new manager on Monday after agreeing compensation with Inter Milan.

Club presidents Massimo Moratti and Florentino Perez met in Milan on Friday to thrash out a deal to allow Mourinho to quit the Champions League winners.

Mourinho, 47, will replace Manuel Pellegrini in the Madrid hotseat after the Chilean was sacked on Wednesday.

Inter had claimed they were due ?13.5m under the terms of Mourinho's contract, which was due to run until 2012.

Mourinho, who took over at the San Siro in 2008, became only the third man to win European club football's most prestigious competition with two different clubs when Inter beat Bayern Munich 2-0 in Saturday's Champions League final.

That success also assured the Nerazzuri's place in the history books as they became the first Italian team to win the Treble, having already retained the Serie A title and beaten Roma to lift the Italian Cup.

Former Chelsea boss Mourinho is contracted to Inter until 2012.

Pellegrini's free-scoring Real side finished runners-up in the Spanish League this season, netting 102 goals in 38 games, with 60 of those strikes coming at home.

But the 56-year-old Chilean was dismissed for failing to land any silverware, despite the Spanish giants having signed Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso for a combined fee in excess of ?196m in the summer of 2009.

Gunner UK

13:46 26 May 2010

It's simple, Wenger should ask for Messi in exchange for Cesc. Or threaten to sell him to either Real Madrid or Man City as they would pay Arsenal and the player a lot and I predict both these teams to beat Barca next season any way. Barca act holier than thou with their Unicef sponsorship and their academy but in truth they are worse than Real Madrid. They have mistreated Arsenal in the case of Overmars, Henry, Hleb and now Cesc. They spent £46m and Eto'o on Ibra, if this isn't extravagant spending then what is. Ronaldo for £80m was a lot more justified than that deal. I lost all respect for Cesc the day he said he wanted to go to Barca. A player who signs a long term contract should know how to abide by it – especially the captain. Wenger should force him to stick around till 2014 when his contract expires or sell him to the highest bidder. That'll teach the dodgy, underhanded Catalans a thing or two about respect. And football's about the club, not individual players.

(Y) My thts exactly.. if Cesc wants to stay.. well and good.. but lets start talking to Real if Cesc wants to leave.. that will make Barca cough up some cash... and even if they do.. we should still sell him to Madrid.. if he wants to leave that is

bSkyb are reporting that Joe Cole will sign for Arsenal on a free.

I wanted Arsenal to sign him before he left West Ham for Chelsea.

However, Joe Cole is usually injured, so maybe it is not a right move for Arsenal.

Everton have signed Jermaine Beckford on a four-year deal after the striker's contract at Leeds was cancelled early.

The 26-year-old had been linked with a number of clubs after his 31 goals helped Leeds gain promotion to the Championship in the 2009/10 season.

He put in a transfer request in January but when a ?1.5m bid from Newcastle was rejected soon after, he came off the list before linked to Everton.

"I want to test myself at the highest level," said Beckford.

And the forward indicated that the influence of Toffees manager David Moyes played a major part in his decision to move to Goodison Park.

"I've been impressed a lot by him [Moyes]," stated Beckford. "He seems like the type of guy who will sit down and tell you where you're going wrong, what you're doing right and what you might need to work on.

"It is a club I can learn from and it can help me develop into a better player. Fingers crossed, I can be really involved in taking this club where it wants to be."

Beckford, who began his career as a youngster at Chelsea, joined Leeds from non-League Wealdstone in March 2006 but initially struggled for first-team football and was loaned out to Carlisle and Scunthorpe during the 2006/07 campaign.

However, when the Yorkshire club were relegated from the Championship to League One, Beckford became a first-choice up front, notching 20 goals.

The Londoner followed that up with a huge 34-goal haul in 2008/09 before he bounced back from the disappointment of losing a play-off semi-final to Millwall with a near repeat goal tally this year.

And although one of those 31 goals came at Old Trafford - the winning strike in the 1-0 FA Cup third round victory against Manchester United in January - Beckford expects the step up in class to the Premier League to be a major challenge.

"I am excited by it," he added "It's going to be a test, I know that, but I am looking forward to it."

---

Jose Mourinho has been unveiled as the new manager of Real Madrid after signing a four-year deal at the club.

The 47-year-old replaced Chilean Manuel Pellegrini to become Real's 11th coach in the past seven years.

"I like to give myself a challenge and this is a big one," said Mourinho. "I have a lot of confidence in myself and my ability as a coach."

Sporting director Jorge Valdano said: "It's an honour to have one of the most prestigious coaches in the world."

Valdano added: "We are delighted to have him here with us. The best thing for our club right now is to have Mourinho with us."

Mourinho, once on the coaching staff at Barcelona, has moved to Spain after Real and his former club Inter Milan agreed a compensation package.

The Portuguese boss won the Champions League in his final game at Inter after his side defeated Bayern Munich to complete a historic Treble, having already retained the Serie A title and defeated Roma to lift the Italian Cup.

But Mourinho explained that he felt the lure of coaching Real was too strong to resist.

"I don't know if I was born to coach Real Madrid but I was born to be a football coach," he added.

"I am Jose Mourinho and I don't change. I arrive with all my qualities and my defects.

"My attraction to Real Madrid is due to its history, its frustrations in recent years and its expectations to win.

"It's a unique club and I believe that not to coach Real leaves a void in a coach's career.

"Luckily, I've had a beautiful career and it makes me proud to have come here."

Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun plans to leave Anfieldif Rafael Benitez is still the manager next season,Goal.com UK can reveal.

Premier League rivals Chelsea have been strongly linked with a move for the 30-year-old in recent days, with a formal bid reportedly having been made, however Benayoun's hopes of departing could be set back by the £10 million tag that Liverpool have placed on the Israeli.

So Benayoun to Chelsea and Joe Cole to ?

Amazing though the reason he wants to leave.. what do you Reds' fans say to that?

So Benayoun to Chelsea and Joe Cole to ?

Amazing though the reason he wants to leave.. what do you Reds' fans say to that?

****'em, he was beyond inconsistent. we get rid of babel too and our two most inconsistent guys are gone.

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp believes Joe Cole has already decided to leave Chelsea and found a new club.

The 28-year-old, who has been named in England's 23-man World Cup squad, is out of contract at Stamford Bridge this summer so is available on a free transfer.

The attacking midfielder has been linked with a number of clubs, notably Spurs, Manchester United and Arsenal.

But Redknapp, who gave Cole his senior debut as a 17-year-old at West Ham, reckons not only that Spurs are already out of the running but a deal has already been done.

"It looks to me someone's going to make a great free transfer, if he doesn't stay at Chelsea," he said.

"I genuinely don't know who that is. I don't think it's going to be Tottenham.

"I've got a feeling, I may be wrong, that he's already agreed a deal with someone, and it's not Tottenham.

"I'm not saying if he hadn't agreed a deal with someone and he was available and didn't stay at Chelsea that we wouldn't be interested.

"I'm a big fan of Joe's, but the feedback we've had is that he might well have already done something."

Cole came back from a major knee injury at the start of last season and upon on his return he struggled to hold down a regular starting role for Chelsea.

He did enough to be named in Fabio Capello's provisional World Cup squad, though, and booked a ticket to South Africa after impressing as a half-time substitute in Sunday's warm-up win over Japan - his 54th international appearance and first since September 2008.

Source: Sky Sports

Barcelona say they are in official negotiations with Arsenal to sign Gunners captain Cesc Fabregas.

The Spanish giants told BBC Sport that talks with Arsenal over a deal for the midfielder, who is with Spain's World Cup squad, "became formal" on Tuesday.

"An informal conversation with Arsenal became formal on 1 June and now an official approach has been made to the club," said a Barca spokesman.

Arsenal declined to comment when they were contacted by BBC Sport.

The Barca spokesman added: "Before 1 June, under English rules, we could not make an official approach to Arsenal for Fabregas, but that changed on Tuesday.

"I don't think there is a special advance on, say, the price or anything, but it has moved on now."

Barcelona have made it clear they regard Fabregas, 22, who played in the youth team at the Nou Camp before moving to north London seven years ago, as one of their chief transfer targets this summer.

They are reported to have already bid ?30m for the player, with Arsenal believed to be holding out for closer to double that amount.

Fabregas signed an eight-year contract with the Gunners in 2006 and has been quoted as saying he would only join Barcelona if he left the Emirates.

Barcelona director general Joan Oliver revealed on the club's official website: "Everybody knows that Cesc wants to sign for Barca and that we also want him to come here, but there is also a third party involved - Arsenal. Any agreement has to be with them.

"We've now made a formal written offer, which we presented to Arsenal yesterday [Tuesday] afternoon."

The vice-president of the Catalan club, Rafael Yuste, added: "I'm optimistic that he'll be able to sign for Barca as soon as possible and it's clear that everybody here will give him a warm welcome.

"We'll do nothing that might make it more difficult for him to come here and we won't rush things - but we won't stop either."

Source: BBC

---

West Ham winger Luis Boa Morte has been offered a new contract but the club are releasing strikers Ilan and Mido.

Portugal international Boa Morte, 32, returned in April from nine months out with a serious knee injury.

He apologised to Hammers co-owner David Sullivan after criticising his comments about the team in a TV interview.

Brazilian Ilan, 29, and 27-year-old Egyptian Mido were signed in January and join Mexican striker Franco as surplus to requirements at Upton Park.

Avram Grant is expected to take over as West Ham manager on Thursday.

Franco, Mido and Ilan all joined the club when Gianfranco Zola, who was sacked in May, was in charge.

Boa Morte scored for the Hammers in their last Premier League match when they drew 1-1 with Manchester City.

It was his second goal in 80 apperances for West Ham since he was signed by Alan Curbishley for ?5m in January 2007.

Arsenal have rejected an offer from Barcelona for captain Cesc Fabregas.

Barcelona announced on Wednesday they had made a formal approach for the midfielder, who has indicated an interest in moving to the Nou Camp.

But a statement on the Arsenal website on Wednesday read: "Yesterday evening we received an offer from Barcelona for Cesc Fabregas.

"In response, we immediately and resolutely told them once again we have no intention of selling our captain."

The complete statement from our official website wrt Cesc:

"Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas is under contract with the Club until the summer of 2015. He is a highly-valued member of the team and part of our future plans.

"We have followed recent speculation linking Cesc with a move away from the Club but as there has never been any official approach for him, only two informal exchanges, in which we made it abundantly clear that we have no interest in transferring Cesc, we have refrained from publicly passing comment. However, yesterday evening we received an offer from Barcelona for Cesc and in response, we immediately and resolutely told them once again that we have no intention of selling our captain.

"To be clear, we will not make any kind of counterproposal or enter into any discussion. Barcelona have publicly stated that they will respect our position and we expect that they will keep their word."

In a related story:

Bordeaux's Yoann Gourcuff would prefer a move to Arsenal, despite Lyon's willingness to meet the £21 million release clause in his contract, Goal.com UK can confirm.