Sparrow (Mail Alternative)

This issue was over in October, let it die and get on with your life. The current beta including open IMAP support is due to be released to the testers that signed up via email with Dom over the week. We'll (the people who managed to get in) hopefully have some thing to say here in a few days when they let us download it.

At v1.0 and costing €8 in the App Store Sparrow still supports Gmail only, so in what world are you living that you're under the impression that the "issue was over in October"? I'll save you and others the hassle to go all the way down to the App Store and read what the Sparrow developers have to say in February 2011, here's a screen shot:

44020662.png

By the message you posted above, the issue still is not resolved because the new beta STILL won't support standard IMAP servers, only AOL, Yahoo, MobileMe and custom IMAP servers, and it still won't support POP3. That leaves most ISP based e-mail servers completely out, just as it was back then. How can you claim that the issue was over in October?

I honestly have no idea why people are trying to claim otherwise about Sparrow not supporting regular IMAP and POP3...

By the message you posted above, the issue still is not resolved because the new beta STILL won't support standard IMAP servers, only AOL, Yahoo, MobileMe and custom IMAP servers, and it still won't support POP3. That leaves most ISP based e-mail servers completely out, just as it was back then. How can you claim that the issue was over in October?

I'm pretty sure he was trying to defuse the situation, which was increasingly making .Neo look like a troll.

The whole point was to move on from a pointless debate that didn't matter anyways. It was, and is, semantics to argue over why vhane was defending the application by explaining that the addition of IMAP was "coming soon" because no one else mentioned it.

Why is this so difficult to move on from? :blink: Move. On.

Why is this so difficult to move on from? :blink: Move. On.

Because vhane was (and still is) coming in here making claims that simply aren't true about this app. He claims that it supports IMAP. As it stands, RIGHT NOW, it doesn't (and it didn't back in October when he started his trolling), other than the specific case of Gmail. And it does not have, and has no plans for, POP3 support. Until it has both working with more than just Gmail, it simply isn't correct to call it a "Mail alternative", since Mail supports many servers that Sparrow doesn't (and likely won't support anytime soon).

No, I'm pretty sure you have read his message wrong.

Sparrow does have IMAP. This is how it currently integrates with Gmail. However, Google's IMAP implementation is quirky, non-standard. So Sparrow currently works with Gmail only. The Sparrow developers have said that it will eventually support standard IMAP implementations.

It's pretty clear here, even with only a snippet of his original post, that he is trying to explain that their implementation of Gmail is IMAP, but since Gmail is non-standard IMAP the developers have decided to restrict it to Gmail only first, promising to open it up to standard implementations (everything else) of IMAP in the future.

I thought this was pretty straight forward. It's clearly all just a misunderstanding.

No, I'm pretty sure you have read his message wrong.

I understood it perfectly. The app does NOT have general IMAP support(yet). Yes, it uses a subset of IMAP to access Gmail (which is why I said that it did support it in the specific case of Gmail). Claiming that it supports IMAP just because it supports it with one specific provider is like claiming that a car supports running on ethanol when it only really supports E10, not E85 or pure ethanol or claiming that PowerPC chips support running Windows natively because one specific version of Windows (NT 3.51) did run on them.

I understood it perfectly. The app does NOT have general IMAP support(yet). Yes, it uses a subset of IMAP to access Gmail (which is why I said that it did support it in the specific case of Gmail). Claiming that it supports IMAP just because it supports it with one specific provider is like claiming that a car supports running on ethanol when it only really supports E10, not E85 or pure ethanol or claiming that PowerPC chips support running Windows natively because one specific version of Windows (NT 3.51) did run on them.

:pinch: My god, man. No one is saying it has general IMAP support. I was simply clarifying what he meant when he said that it has IMAP support. No one is denying his wording could have been better, I was simply trying to explain that he didn't mean what you think he meant. In effect, you just repeated what I just said.

I honestly can say that we should put it to rest now, because it's all just silly from the get go.

Guys, the reason this post is even back was for people that were interested in general IMAP support to get into the private beta with IMAP support . Yes normal IMAP was not supported and is not supported in the open right now, if you please go back and read my post recently; it was a call for people to enter the beta got this particular set of features. It has nothing to do with the current retail state of Sparrow, if you're going to continue arguing a point that no one is making I would suggest taking it to PM.

Neo and Roadwarrior, please click the link and read the post:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/944678-sparrow-mail-alternative/page__view__findpost__p__593677676

The issue was over in october, because you were right and I am not debating that. If you cannot stop, I will ask for moderators to step in.

To me this issue is resolved when general IMAP and POP3 support has made it into the public release available through the App Store. Not just in some unstable private beta form. I'll leave it at that, okay?

Looks like there's been some miscommunication. I say that Sparrow implements IMAP in the same way that I would say that a Twitter client implements HTTP. My mistake was that I came in wearing my developer hat.

I understand that you, as the end user, only care whether Sparrow works with your ISP's IMAP service. I get it. I want that too. Again, my intent was to try and shed some light on the situation. Let's give it a rest.

• Like 2

We gave it a rest on the last page. ;)

Just gotta get the last word in, eh? :no:

Anyway, I'd say Sparrow looks like a pretty cool app. I use Gmail extensively, but I think the web interface is far too powerful for it to be replaced by software. I think that's why they had to focus their development on making it work 1:1 with Gmail first, because absolutely no other mail client to date does it well. At all.

Unfortunately for them, there are tons of other tools like Fluid ( http://fluidapp.com/ ) that can just take the Gmail web interface and turn it into a running application. To me, not only does that seem more practical (Gmail is constantly being updated with new features that wouldn't make it to Sparrow until the devs get around to it), but it's also safer (my info goes to Google and stays with Google, instead of going through a third party, even if it's using an API).

And so, free or $10, I'll stick with good 'ol https://mail.google.com.

What if they just kept the same account? Why change it?

+1

I've been using my hotmail since 1997 :woot:

I don't know how many ISPs I've gone through since then :/ So what other alternative do you suggest for someone who doesn't want to change email every 2 years?

+1

I've been using my hotmail since 1997 :woot:

I don't know how many ISPs I've gone through since then :/ So what other alternative do you suggest for someone who doesn't want to change email every 2 years?

I have a Hotmail address that was my first ever email. I don't remember the year, but it was before Hotmail was even a part of MSN.

That said, it's mainly my junk email account and I only keep it to log into MSN (Windows Live, whatever it is now) Messenger. Hotmail's spam filter and web interface is so terrible, I can't bear using it for more than 5 minutes at a time.

If you get a Gmail account, you won't be changing your email every 2 years. It's here to stay.

Just gotta get the last word in, eh? :no:

I was making friendly a joke, hence the wink. Real shame you don't pick up on that. :no:

Gmail? :laugh: Isn't it possible these days to use Hotmail in whatever mail client you want? I thought Microsoft enabled that years ago. Some ISPs around here provide the option to keep your email account live even after you switched to another company for a minimal fee per month or year. My ISP provides it for 5 euros a month, which is next to nothing really. Obviously I have no idea if Canadian ISP do the same.

I saw the updated icon for this on Dribble a few weeks ago then recognised it on the App Store. Got to say that I love this app; I've been looking for an alternative to Apple Mail for ages now and this is it.

Just set your Gmail up to grab emails from your POP3 servers or IMAP and it behaves like any other mail app, only with Gmail awesomeness.

post-70638-0-85216100-1297605673.png

I saw the updated icon for this on Dribble a few weeks ago then recognised it on the App Store. Got to say that I love this app; I've been looking for an alternative to Apple Mail for ages now and this is it.

The day I will be able to get Sparrow for free and it will support generic POP3 and IMAP (or when Hotmail will finally switch to IMAP), I will switch from Mail to this. Mail is good, but it really suffers from a lot of things :

- Not optimized for widescreen monitors (every recent email client has 3 columns : folders, list of messages, and the reading pane)

- Formatting an email is a pain in the ass. Just to make text bold or underlined or in italic, I have to make 4 clicks (double click on the word, right click, go to font, select bold)

- Following emails about the same topic could be better, like in iOS

- I keep having the bug where it will ask me the password to connect to my Hotmail account. I did click the "remember the password" checkbox.

So yeah, Mail’s good for me, but far from great. Sparrow is much more my style, but God it’s limited. I can’t use it.

Apple would be better to just give a huge overall to Mail in Lion.

- Formatting an email is a pain in the ass. Just to make text bold or underlined or in italic, I have to make 4 clicks (double click on the word, right click, go to font, select bold)

:/

cmd + B = Bold

cmd + I = Italic

cmd + U = Underline

Just like anywhere else in the OS. Why bother going through the above steps if you can use keyboard shortcuts? Granted an iWorkesque formatting bar would be a nice addition, but not that necessary in Mail.

an iWorkesque formatting bar would be a nice addition

This.

Like every other place we can format text (website forums, Office, iWork), there is a formatting bar, which makes sense.

(by the way you just taught me a way to do basic formatting on text using keyboard shortcuts, I believe I?m not the only one who don?t use or know them...)