I like unlocking stuff. Gives me motivation. If everything unlocked from the start, I can see the game becoming boring to me a lot faster.

And if not unlocking, then at least the "buying" of Counter Strike to keep me interested.

why ?

it's the game itself that's interesting, if you're only playing the game to unlock stuff, then that means you basically don't like the game or find it boring. would seem a better idea to then play something that actually interests you. and let the developers stop with the stupid unlocking they push into every damn game.

why ?

it's the game itself that's interesting, if you're only playing the game to unlock stuff, then that means you basically don't like the game or find it boring. would seem a better idea to then play something that actually interests you. and let the developers stop with the stupid unlocking they push into every damn game.

The game itself is interesting and might be fun with friends (I yet to play it, or watched any MP gameplay), but for how long? Just think about it; If you don't get anything new with the time you put into the game to keep it "fresh", for how long will it keep you interested in it? Can you name a game that you played for more than a year, that didn't had any unlocks/"leveling up" and/or mods? And it's not like any modding tools going to be available for BF3, that kept games like Counter Strike (going back to my example for different type of unlocks) or UT going strong for years, just because the community created new interesting maps and game modes with new weapons and even vehicles.

What you get with the vanilla game, is all that it will have to entertain you for what ever period of time that you think your money was worth of. And I expect BF3 to be installed on my machine, for more than two months before they'll keep pumping DLCs with only new maps.

Also it's not like unlocking all the weapons is that hard and then after you unlocked them, someone keeps you away from sticking to your favorite weapon. At the beginning just enjoy the game, thinking the starting weapons are all that's available in the game. Because judging by your "skills > weapons" attitude, no matter how bad they will be, you'll still like them (or are you not skillful enough?).

I like unlocking stuff. Gives me motivation. If everything unlocked from the start, I can see the game becoming boring to me a lot faster.

And if not unlocking, then at least the "buying" of Counter Strike to keep me interested.

I hate having to unlock stuff, just means all the kids/dolies (unemployed) get the best weapons much faster as they have more time to play the game.

I kinda like unlocking stuff as well. As long as its not something unreachable. Also - as far as skill goes, it still means that more skilled players will unlock stuff faster.

I don't think they'd leave out unlockables. It's such a pivotal reward system. Leaving it out could cut down on the number of people playing the game. Sure, it doesn't seem like a good idea for some but on the flip-side... it's something that many people enjoy. Personally, I don't mind working my way up to a gun or gadget. I think it adds a sense of purpose to the game. Something like "Yes, this game is fun. And when I put in X amount of hours, I'll get this awesome weapon."

Honestly I never felt like the unlocked weapons provide such a huge advantage in any of the BF games, even bad Company 2. I only am a Level 14 in BFBC2 (would have been higher but split my time between the PC and 360 version), and I honestly never once felt I was not competitive because I did not have a higher ranked weapon. I always more then hold my own with whatever weapons my kit has. I honestly think DICE has always done a phenomenal job of making unlocked weapons not really more powerful, but really just have better advantages... more ammo, faster reload, etc. Which one could argue sure, those things do make those guns slightly better, obviously, but they never give someone an unfair advantage, at least IMO. It just means you need to be more conservative with the lower weapons. Maybe it was just something I do not recognize and/or just did not really care about as I am really just about having fun nowadays. Besides, I am also a huge proponent of if you think someone does have a better gun then you, knife them and take their kit. :laugh:

But even in BF2, which I did get fairly high in, I think I always wound up defaulting to one of the earlier weapons, I forget which one exactly as it has been awhile, but it definitely was not one of the higher unlocks. Kind of just like when I played Counter Strike a whole lot, I was always more then comfortable with an M16 or AK47. Always felt the same way in BF. I also tend to just fire in very short controlled bursts, so perhaps that has a lot to do with why I feel. Not sure, but I just do not see the big difference in weapons. :iiam:

well, that's only because the medic character model kinda looks like you... :whistle:

on a more serious note, BF3 looks more intersting as time goes by. definitely getting it over the next COD. i was surprised to learn there will be a single player campaign. a good added bonus i suppose. and the tech looks very nice. i take it we should just mark this down as a PC-only title, opting for the console version would be miscalculation?

well, that's only because the medic character model kinda looks like you... :whistle:

on a more serious note, BF3 looks more intersting as time goes by. definitely getting it over the next COD. i was surprised to learn there will be a single player campaign. a good added bonus i suppose. and the tech looks very nice. i take it we should just mark this down as a PC-only title, opting for the console version would be miscalculation?

:laugh: I really wish I had a dollar for every generic video game character that looks like me. Last night I posted in the Killzone 3 thread a screenshot, I make an appearance several times in that game as well. :shiftyninja:

Honestly I never felt like the unlocked weapons provide such a huge advantage in any of the BF games, even bad Company 2. I only am a Level 14 in BFBC2 (would have been higher but split my time between the PC and 360 version), and I honestly never once felt I was not competitive because I did not have a higher ranked weapon. I always more then hold my own with whatever weapons my kit has. I honestly think DICE has always done a phenomenal job of making unlocked weapons not really more powerful, but really just have better advantages... more ammo, faster reload, etc. Which one could argue sure, those things do make those guns slightly better, obviously, but they never give someone an unfair advantage, at least IMO. It just means you need to be more conservative with the lower weapons. Maybe it was just something I do not recognize and/or just did not really care about as I am really just about having fun nowadays. Besides, I am also a huge proponent of if you think someone does have a better gun then you, knife them and take their kit. :laugh:

But even in BF2, which I did get fairly high in, I think I always wound up defaulting to one of the earlier weapons, I forget which one exactly as it has been awhile, but it definitely was not one of the higher unlocks. Kind of just like when I played Counter Strike a whole lot, I was always more then comfortable with an M16 M4A1 or AK47. Always felt the same way in BF. I also tend to just fire in very short controlled bursts, so perhaps that has a lot to do with why I feel. Not sure, but I just do not see the big difference in weapons. :iiam:

Corrected. :p And I totally agree. I never once thought the higher-level guns were "superior". I simply saw it as something different. Some guns had more (or less) ammo in a single clip but also had increased rate of fire or decreased accuracy. The way I see it, unlockablse are intended to add variety to the game but at the same time... it's also meant to add something to work toward.

Unlockable guns aren't usually an issue as they're generally well balanced in BF games, but it's the extra equipment you can unlock post-CoD MW that can ruin it. Take the perks for instance, a high rank person can easily overpower a lower rank person by having more grenades, perks to make weapons more effective, etc.

BF2 was okay in that you unlocked guns that were usually of equal power (except the G36E) and you could choose which one to unlock when you ranked up. There was no extra equipment to go with it so people were still on a level playing field. The game has changed after the original Modern Warfare, but I'm hoping they keep it back to basics for BF3 - large open-world battles with everyone using the same equipment.

Unlockable guns aren't usually an issue as they're generally well balanced in BF games, but it's the extra equipment you can unlock post-CoD MW that can ruin it. Take the perks for instance, a high rank person can easily overpower a lower rank person by having more grenades, perks to make weapons more effective, etc.
Magnum ammo to name the main culprit IMO.

I don't think they'd leave out unlockables. It's such a pivotal reward system. Leaving it out could cut down on the number of people playing the game. Sure, it doesn't seem like a good idea for some but on the flip-side... it's something that many people enjoy. Personally, I don't mind working my way up to a gun or gadget. I think it adds a sense of purpose to the game. Something like "Yes, this game is fun. And when I put in X amount of hours, I'll get this awesome weapon."

It gives some annoying people some very strange talking points. "I got the xxx before you, I must be better".

And they've already said that type of damage mods will not be in BF3 :)

Good, it was a horribly imbalanced perk.

It gives some annoying people some very strange talking points. "I got the xxx before you, I must be better".

I hear ya there. Many 50ers think they are the best just because they have a 50.

It shouldn't. It just means they played longer.

[...]

Hnnnnnghh!

Quick, before its taken down.

Downloaded!

EDIT: Wow. They just took it down. Good thing I grabbed it quickly.